watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

MAF's decision

Started by The Old Count, March 10, 2014, 11:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Count

I wonder if Mr Al Fayed's decision to sell and get his money back was hastened by the vitriolic reaction to him erecting a statue of his friend at the ground?

Just a thought....

Lighthouse

No. But a curse on the club since that statue and Al left is clearly the reason why we are such an awful side now. That and the lack of investment from Al in the last few years he was here.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Old Count

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 10, 2014, 11:52:21 AM
No. But a curse on the club since that statue and Al left is clearly the reason why we are such an awful side now. That and the lack of investment from Al in the last few years he was here.
The lack of investment came because he wanted to sell the club and get his money back.  I was speculating as to whether the hostile reception to the statue influenced him or hastened that decision.

nose

MAF decision to sell was founded on getting older.
He was visibly not the man he once was and I think it was time to slow down.
From the moment he sold Harrods it was obvious he was going to pass fulham on.
I don't know how long you have supported the team (no offence at all intended) but from my perspective without MAF all we knew was a terrible downward spiral and oblivion. The last 15 or so years have been a great adventure and I wouldn't change any of it, it's just poor management this season has done for us.

It's odd people say we haven't spent enough money on players, and maybe we haven't but from where we were two or three years ago i would suggest the money we spent was wasted, Berba, ruiz and now mitroglou have cost fortunes and would have been better spent on others. The goalkeeper is another that we could certainly have done better elsewhere, in fact we had a very good keeper and have a good young one that isn't really given a proper chance for long enough.

Also just a thought.

The Old Count

Quote from: nose on March 10, 2014, 11:58:32 AM
I don't know how long you have supported the team (no offence at all intended) but from my perspective without MAF all we knew was a terrible downward spiral and oblivion. The last 15 or so years have been a great adventure and I wouldn't change any of it, it's just poor management this season has done for us.

It's odd people say we haven't spent enough money on players, and maybe we haven't but from where we were two or three years ago i would suggest the money we spent was wasted, Berba, ruiz and now mitroglou have cost fortunes and would have been better spent on others. The goalkeeper is another that we could certainly have done better elsewhere, in fact we had a very good keeper and have a good young one that isn't really given a proper chance for long enough.

Also just a thought.

I've been a supporter since 1963 so, like many on here, I have seen the ups and downs over the years.
To his credit MAF left us in a better state than he found us.
However, I still wonder why he didn't want to pass the club on to his son, who loved the place.  He didn't really need the money after he sold Harrods.

mullers

I Agree with you nose. As much as we might not want to admit it I think it was tougher for him to leave Harrods than us so the separation is probably just part of his retirement plans. Thanks for everything Mo!

That said, it did all seem a bit sudden, and - no offence to Shahid Khan - it might have been nice to have a feeling that the handover was a little more thought out than it appears. My thinking on this is probably influenced by the half-assed displays by the team and our recent management...er...structure, but heigh ho.

nose

Quote from: The Old Count on March 10, 2014, 12:09:04 PM
Quote from: nose on March 10, 2014, 11:58:32 AM

Also just a thought.

I've been a supporter since 1963 so, like many on here, I have seen the ups and downs over the years.
To his credit MAF left us in a better state than he found us.
However, I still wonder why he didn't want to pass the club on to his son, who loved the place.  He didn't really need the money after he sold Harrods.

I think I beat you by a year or so but not much! The final at Hamburg was an unexpected bonus!
I do wonder the same thing about his son. Maybe, he just didn't want to take it on, or had other fish to fry and wasn't passionate like his dad.
We did watch MAF walk very near us in the last year or so and commented he didn't look himself. As a result we weren't really suprised he sold the club when he did.

Wimbledon_White

haha I sincerely doubt the vitriolic response had anything to do with it whatsoever.

He was/is a businessman and his lack of investment in recent years, which shows that he was trying to balance the books and thus make far the club look more attractive to potential buyers, started long before the MJ statue.

HatterDon

The curse on the club was the other  MJ.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel