watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham: Blame Jol But Our Side's Lacks Of Effort Is Unforgivable

Started by Sanchezs Tactician, March 13, 2014, 02:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanchezs Tactician

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/fulham-blame-jol-but-our-sides-lack-of-effort-is-unforgivable/#_

I'm finding it increasingly tough to write about Fulham, and any thought pattern involving football continues to end with me raging.

Saturday's loss at Cardiff left me having to accept the inevitable fate of which I've been hopeful of avoiding for some time. Our performance was abject and beyond disappointing. Cardiff had gone 400 minutes without finding the net in the Premier League, cue Fulham to end the drought by conceding thrice, such has been the trend this season. All you have to do is ask John Obi Mikel and Tom Huddlestone.

Pre-match, there was a worrying sense of optimism amongst Fulham fans when the line-ups were announced. After waiting longer than for a lift at Covent Garden station to see our record signing Kostas Mitrgolou start, we were treated to an attacking two of the Greek and 19-year-old debutant Cauley Woodrow. Any exclusion of Darrent Bent is met with a hero's welcome.

However, in true Fulham style, this positivity evaporated quicker than the Aral Sea. After what was an uneventful first half, we conceded right at the death which did little to riddle the camp with confidence. I'm not going to talk much about the game as it is deeper than that. So to summarise a few goals went in and we lost 3-1.

I've seen myself watching most Fulham games both online or at stadiums with my head in my lap and this was no different. It's gone past the point where your stomach feels sick and there is a numb feeling with every game. I'm so used to the mental abuse that it has a firm spot in my every day life. "Oh you support Fulham? Bloody hell." is the common response amongst people, and that sums it up really.

I often put myself through the torture of relieving the not so distant good times in the Europa League and I think to myself what exactly has gone wrong? We had the opportunity to build as a football club and we have taken so many steps backwards. There are so many outlets to blame as to why we are in our current predicament.

One of which is previous owner Mohamed Al-Fayed. The man did wonders for the club, starting well before my time, and has been the reason behind our successes in previous years. However, his inability to spend after our Europa League Final appearance has severely hindered our progression. Such a position was a prime moment to better ourselves and we blew it. In a climate where even clubs in and around us are parting with tens of millions of pounds on new recruits, you need to compete on that scale to keep your head above water.

In no way am I blasting Mohamed's time at the club as he has done unthinkable things for us. He cleared debts totaling obscene amounts of money, making the club marketable and effectively saved the club in its darkest hour back in the 90s . These are things that will never be forgotten on the banks of the Thames. But when you are unable/unwilling to provide certain funds, it has a detrimental effect. A lot has changed in the world of football since he first took over the club, to when he handed it over to Shahid Khan. His stance of low spending became toxic and has been a small factor as to why we face certain relegation.

Shahid Khan has come in and done what Al-Fayed should have adopted, but it looks as if it is too late. I can't blame Khan as he has put his money where his mouth is when asked. However, it is clear that the people advising him on decisions, particularly CEO Alistair Macintosh, have made a real mess of things. Two sackings after only two thirds of the season is quite frankly embarrassing and has shown a real lack of judgement. Macintosh had an awful summer window in 2013 which ended with him admitting we had brought in all targets. These included Elsad Zverotic, who has become the club's boot boy, Darren Bent, who has invested in treacle on the sole of his boots, Adel Taarabt who was more interested on the colour appearing on the roulette machine than training and Derek Boateng, who I'm not sure still exists.

Admittedly he got Fulham fans salivating on Deadline Day back in January, only for two of the signings to be shipped out on loan in under a month, Kvist to fall out favour with new manager Magath, and our record signing succumbing to the sidelines due to injury problems and a lack of match fitness. Having backed previous manager, head coach, or whatever title they gave him, Meulensteen, in the window, he then proceeded to advise Khan to relieve the Dutchman of his duties three games prior to the closure of the window. This rid the squad of any stability or continuity and left many pondering their futures. Meulensteen's sacking put us back to square one again and left Magath with a near impossible task.

Martin Jol has a big part in our current failures, of which we have, and are currently enduring. His negative attitude along with his puzzling tactics and approach left the squad riddled with problems. Having a line-up consisting of Adel Taarabt, Bryan Ruiz and Dimitar Berbatov leaves you to imagine what the work rate and desire was like on match day. Some of his post-match comments left you bemused. He had developed a squad lacking any commitment or drive and these are two characteristics associated with most players we currently have on our books.

It's sad to see your team under-performing on a weekly basis, but it is despicable to see an evident lack of care and effort from the majority. When you have fans spending the majority of their disposable income on watching their team, you don't expect to win every game, you expect a performance of which you can see the players have given their all. I can count those performances on one hand and that explains our current plight. Many said that Cardiff was the final nail in the coffin. However, there are so many nails in the coffin right now, that the coffin feels pretty awkward and out of place.

Classic94

Well-written and to the point. As you rightly say, our predicament is the result of several factors: MAF's lack of investment, a string of poor transfer windows, inadequate managers, and the failings of the CEO.

Heads must role for the debacle of the past 18 months or so - including that of the CEO. Equally, we must utilise the only part of the club which has gone from strength to strength in this time: the academy. Of the senior players, only Heitinga, Richardson & Sidwell would be 'big' losses, the rest are disposable. Time to rip it up and start again. If we build around the kids and invest well in the summer, we can challenge for promotion.

St Eve

I am not sure that any of the senior players are a big loss - oh except Karagounis

TonyGilroy

It's yet another post apportioning blame. If I've understood correctly this time it's:-

AM - 35%

MAF - 25%

Jol - 25%

Rene - 5%

Khan - 10%

We do not know who takes which decision, on whose advice and why?

All we do know is that collectively it's been a disaster._

Bassey the warrior

Well written and amusing article. Find it hard to disagree with any of it.

Bedford White

It is easy to point the finger of blame and it seems to me we keep have these autopsies every other day even before this patient has been pronounced dead. Sure the prognosis isn't good and the patient is seemingly either slipping towards an inevitable cardiac arrest or into a self induced coma. But hang on, we've got the paddles ready, and the patient is well aware of what effort is needed to survive.

From where I'm sitting it's the transfer of ownership which has had the biggest negative effect on our team. Factor in perhaps some poor management advice and Khan's desire to assess his purchase rather than start spending in the summer and we find ourselves in a hole by Christmas.
RM should have been told that he was the head coach and his role as manager was temporary until we found a suitable replacement. The debacle that followed made the club look very unprofessional and we lost out on one of the best coaches out there. I had hoped that Mike Phelan would join Rene but that's all in the past now.

Right now we need to look at three points on Saturday, get those and we can then look to the following weekend and so on. One week at a time ladies, one week at a time, Fulham ain't done yet!

Sanchezs Tactician

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. Indeed it is hard to distinguish who makes what decision at the club, hence the varied presumptions amongst fans. As Bedford White says, we need to focus on Saturday and the eight games following and try to build some sort of momentum.

SG

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 13, 2014, 03:22:45 PM

It's yet another post apportioning blame. If I've understood correctly this time it's:-

AM - 35%

MAF - 25%

Jol - 25%

Rene - 5%

Khan - 10%

We do not know who takes which decision, on whose advice and why?

All we do know is that collectively it's been a disaster._

And largely self inflicted and therefore avoidable

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Sanchezs Tactician

Nightwind15

Before Jol took the helm we were playing solid attractive football.  By the time he left this club, admit it or not, was in shambles.  Its top players sold and what was left was total disarray!  You can say what you like but had we kept that squad together and added a couple we would still be in mid table.  Jol and Map effectively took us to ruin. 
I played in the first match I ever saw!

you lucky people

the problem seems to be that our esteemed poster has only been following the Whites since they have been in the Premier League. My first Season was 67/68 which after choosing Fulham from a long list of Clubs, and having done some research by going to a few games all over London, they thanked me by getting relegated and then getting relegated again the following season! it's known as 'Fulhamish'
'Remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean, cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.'

Nightwind15

As I have looked at the history as well, I understand but I really felt the club had "Outgrown" that label. 
I played in the first match I ever saw!

Sanchezs Tactician

Quote from: you lucky people on March 14, 2014, 04:32:17 PM
the problem seems to be that our esteemed poster has only been following the Whites since they have been in the Premier League. My first Season was 67/68 which after choosing Fulham from a long list of Clubs, and having done some research by going to a few games all over London, they thanked me by getting relegated and then getting relegated again the following season! it's known as 'Fulhamish'

Following the Whites since the Premier League? My first game was in 98 at the age of four and have followed to my knowledge since 2000. I guess my age is my own fault and therefore renders my points invalid? We can't harper on the fact that "oh it used to be a lot worse". I understand it was, but that was then and this is now. We can't let bad times in the past excuse what happens in the present.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Sanchezs Tactician on March 14, 2014, 08:35:17 PM
Quote from: you lucky people on March 14, 2014, 04:32:17 PM

Following the Whites since the Premier League? My first game was in 98 at the age of four and have followed to my knowledge since 2000. I guess my age is my own fault and therefore renders my points invalid? We can't harper on the fact that "oh it used to be a lot worse". I understand it was, but that was then and this is now. We can't let bad times in the past excuse what happens in the present.
Yes all this "I've followed Fulham since whenever" is irrelevant.  We are all Fulham supporters.  We can't just be fatalistic about how grim things were in the past and be complacent about getting relegated.  It will be a major blow for us.  I truly think we are doomed for this season.  The players are just not delivering on the pitch.  Forget the "Great Escape", we still played as a team back then and had some fight in us.  I also have no confidence in the manager, nor the owner!