https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (18/03/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 17, 2014, 07:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'First class' Fulham supporters inspired crucial win, says David Stockdale

Inspired: David Stockdale

Felix Magath pinned pictures of Fulham supporters up on the dressing room wall to inspire his players before Saturday's win against Newcastle.

Fulham boosted their survival chances with a 1-0 victory at Craven Cottage and it has emerged Magath used photographs around the home changing room as motivation.

"We had a few pictures up on the walls," said goalkeeper David Stockdale. "You do not walk into a dressing room every day and see pictures of fans but they are people who wear the badge with pride and know what it means to be Fulham.

"The supporters have been through some tough times and they have been first class through everything this season. I looked around at what we have had in the six years I have been at the club to remind me of the bad times and the good times. Someone said to us last week that it is not the badge on the front of our shirt we are playing for at the moment, it is the Premier League badge on the side. That really hit home."

Fulham remain bottom of the table and four points from safety but their first win since Magath took over last month gives them hope of avoiding relegation.

Stockdale said: "It is a massive win. The manager set us out to be solid and strong, he wanted a clean sheet more than anything. It has taken time to get used to it [Magath's style of management] but we are all moving in the right direction. We can't get too excited because there are some big games to come."

Kostas Mitroglou, who has made just one start since joining Fulham for £12million in January, missed the game through injury but Magath hopes the Greece forward will be fit for Saturday's trip to Manchester City.

Magath said: "I think we realise that we are able to stay in the league. It was a first win since New Year's Day so we are now on the way and I am very hopeful. We have nothing to lose against Manchester City. Anything is possible in football."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/first-class-fulham-supporters-inspired-crucial-win-says-david-stockdale-9196624.html

WhiteJC

Ashkan Dejagah praises Fulham unity

Fulham midfielder Ashkan Dejagah has insisted that the club is united in their battle to avoid relegation following Saturday's important 1-0 victory over Newcastle United.

Dejagah's goal separated the sides at Craven Cottage as Fulham ended a 10-game winless run to give their survival hopes a boost.

Despite the positive result, the Cottagers remain four points adrift of safety in the Premier League table with eight matches left to play.

"We now have to fight for the rest of the season and take some more points. The whole of the team fought on Saturday – and the fans and the staff also played a big part. We're all together in this," Dejagah told the club's official website.

"We have to fight every week. We can't just play good football, you have to battle, and this is what the manager says to us every day. The team showed the manager and the fans against Newcastle that we're ready to fight together."

Fulham are back in Premier League action this Saturday when they make the trip to Manchester City.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/relegation-battle/news/dejagah-praises-fulham-unity_144737.html

WhiteJC

Hope
by LRCN on MARCH 17, 2014

One of the few benefits of working Saturdays is that I've not been able to watch much of Fulham the last few months. Like most, I've grown weary of the lackadaisical displays, the disjoint between first team and our impressive youth, the incohesive mess on the pitch and the incohesive messes off the pitch, and yet, like most, I'll still waste x amount of hours watching experienced professionals contrive to fail with the basics of football.

On the other hand, it means I miss the points I can enjoy, such as yesterday. For a period of time now I've accepted that we are destined for relegation and have developed a numbness that will carry me over until August where we can explore lots of new grounds and, with any luck, see this battle-weary ship revived. But it's funny what a win can do. Suddenly, spirits are lifted among everyone. We're 'only' four points behind 17th place, and the table looks a lot tighter now than 48 hours ago. From what I gather, we actually managed to put in a performance over ninety minutes instead of surrendering after an hour as has been our marker this season.

What really gives me hope however – and this includes if we go down – is the manager. West Brom away was initially gutsy, but we faded away, and Magath's team selections seemed to point at a continuing, misaligned faith in the talents and mental fortitude of our 'experience'. That was all refreshed yesterday. It was Mitroglou – what a farce – who was dropped, and not the young Cauley Woodrow. Riether, who's continued to con his way in to the team despite a desperate level of performance this season, was replaced by Heitinga, who's come in and really left a positive impression. Kaca got on the team sheet, as did Kasami, even if it did mean Holtby was wasted out wide (please don't do that Felix). Stockdale too, displacing Stekelenberg after letting in two soft goals in Magath's games. Add to that, Roberts and Tankovic have had appearances on the bench!

I'm really enthused by firstly Magath's sensible development in understanding and secondly the declaration that our younger players are up for the battle more than your older players, because I really did think he'd come in and be a brute, a dinosaur. If nothing else, we will have more younger players embedded in the set up next season, and Magath could be the man to develop them. He's made strong decisions, and clocked in three matches what Rene clocked in a dozen and what Jol failed entirely to see. Already there's been more progression under his reign than either of our two/four managers have seen this season. With any luck, we'll continue to win our home games – we have to – and other teams are worse than they appear. Maybe we can even do something against a vulnerable Manchester City, and I'm sure the striker in training will be begging Magath for a chance to be up against Demichelis. Will we see David stake a claim to fix our lack of ball-player in the midfield, or Lasse Vigen?

Anyway, let's hope this is just the opening credits for The Great Escape Pt 2.

LRCN

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/03/hope/?

WhiteJC

Bent set for Fulham return against Man City

Fulham striker Darren Bent is expected to return for the Premier League game against Manchester City on Saturday.

Bent was forced to miss the 1-0 victory over Newcastle due to a private matter, but the issue appears to have been resolved and he will return to training this week.

Fulham manager Felix Magath continued to play rookie forward Cauley Woodrow in his absence and the move paid off as the west London club recorded their first league victory since New Year's Day.

But Bent will return to the squad for a tough visit to the Etihad Stadium this weekend as Fulham look to move their way out of the bottom three and produce another miraculous escape.

Magath said: "Darren was not here for private reasons but he will be back next week."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/bent-set-fulham-return-against-man-city-14031783799#v2j8e4LHJzzWQ8Ty.99

WhiteJC

Fulham match winner reveals new dual role

Dejagah asked to take on defensive load by new boss

Joy: Ashkan Dejagah celebrates
Askhan Dejagah believes a tiny bit of pressure has been lifted off Fulham after his goal beat Newcastle - but the midfielder still expects his boss to run him ragged.

The German-Iranian cut in to fire the game's only strike on Saturday and breathed a sigh of relief as the Whites won for the first time in three months.

But Dejagah knows Felix Magath only too well from their time together in Germany where the manager earned a reputation as something of a slavedriver, and expects even more hard yards over the next vital six weeks.

Degagah said: "The manager said: 'your job is to score goals and work in defence as well'. He told me this all the time and in Germany as well.

"That is why he put me on the left side so I can I can cut in and shoot.

"It's not easy if you play every week with pressure, but maybe we can now be a little more relaxed in games."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-match-winner-reveals-new-6841414?

WhiteJC

Stockdale Resides over Clean Sheet!

It was interesting on Saturday, against Newcastle United, Felix Magath opted to recall David Stockdale and drop Maarten Stekelenburg to the bench.

The fact that Fulham kept their first clean sheet since December 8th, may have justified that decision.

After the 1-0 win over Newcastle, Stockdale gave an insight into the motivational tactics Magath had used, remarking

"The manager didn`t need to say too much to us before the game - we had pictures of fans on the dressing room walls, and other bits and pieces, to remind us what we`re fighting for."

"I took a good look around because it was a reminder of the good times we`ve had in the six years I`ve been here and a few of us have been at the club a while - Brede Hangeland, me."

Has the penny finally dropped that it really is do-or-die as we head towards the last knockings of the season.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=353162#ixzz2wFULF2IX

WhiteJC

IN THE SPOTLIGHT: Cauley Woodrow, the teenage striker Magath has entrusted to keep Fulham in the top flight

Sportsmail gives you the lowdown on the best talent at football clubs throughout Europe. Here, ADAM SHERGOLD gives you the lowdown on Cauley Woodrow, the teenager leading the line for Fulham as they bid to avoid relegation from the Barclays Premier League.

Name: Cauley Woodrow
Club: Fulham
Position: Striker

Favoured forward: 19-year-old Cauley Woodrow has started Fulham's last two matches - against Cardiff City and Newcastle United - as they try and preserve their Premier League status

I'm going to need more than that...
It was the shock selection of Fulham's season when Felix Magath decided Cauley Woodrow was to start up front for them in the relegation six-pointer at Cardiff City last weekend.

Although the German has been experimenting to try and find his most effective front pair, the selection of Woodrow was completely left-field.

But Magath was clearly impressed by what he saw in the Welsh capital because the 19-year-old was back in the starting line-up for Saturday's 1-0 home win over Newcastle, this time completing the whole 90 minutes.

Woodrow showed some nice touches and a bit of threat in the box and so should be in contention to start further games as Fulham bid to preserve their top-flight status.

Test of strength: Woodrow takes on Newcastle defender Fabricio Coloccini during Saturday's meeting at Craven Cottage, which Fulham won 1-0 to boost their chances of survival

If he can get off the mark and score a few goals into the bargain so Fulham can pull off the great escape, he'll be a hero at the Cottage.

Hailing from Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire, frontman Woodrow joined Luton Town as a 13-year-old in 2008 after being spotted by club scouts while playing for amateur side Buckhurst Hill.

By the start of the 2010-2011 season, he was in the first team squad at Kenilworth Road and made three first-team appearances from the bench in the FA Trophy that season.

His debut came 12 days before his 16th birthday as Luton won a first round replay at Welling United.

Although Woodrow only had a few minutes of senior experience under his belt, he was quickly attracting attention from a number of big clubs.

On debut: Woodrow playing on his senior Fulham debut at Cardiff City last weekend after his surprise recall from a loan spell at League Two Southend United

So why the fuss?
In March 2011, with Woodrow still at school, Fulham paid £440,000 to secure his signature, the fee possibly rising to seven figures depending on future progress. Woodrow was contracted until 2016.

This was a very large amount of money to pay for an untried teenager but it showed Fulham's faith in his potential. The Hatters were sure to include what their managing director described as 'a very healthy sell-on clause.'

The fee understandably generated a great deal of fuss, as did a call-up to the England Under-17 squad while still at Luton in 2011. It was the first time a non-league player had turned out for any England age group in 37 years.

Competing in the annual Algarve Tournament in Portugal, Woodrow scored on his debut during a 1-1 draw with Romania.

Vital: Woodrow has been thrown in by Fulham's new manager Felix Magath and has risen to the challenge

Woodrow was part of the Fulham Under-18 side that won the 2011-2012 Premier Academy League and he scored in the final as Blackburn were beaten 2-0 at Craven Cottage in front of then manager Martin Jol and the first team.

By the end of the season, the 6ft frontman was occasionally training with the first team and also playing for the reserve side.

Woodrow didn't look back from there and 12 goals in his opening nine matches for the Under-18s in 2012-2013 earned a promotion to the newly-formed Under-21 team.

He found the net against Middlesbrough (both home and away), Aston Villa and Liverpool, with an edge-of-the-box effort that surprised the goalkeeper and crashed in off the underside of the bar.

Woodrow was also part of the Fulham side that won the 2013 Dallas Cup, scoring twice against Japanese side Kashiwa Reysol in the final as they won 5-1.

Bright future ahead: Woodrow is set to feature in more Premier League matches before the end of the season as Fulham try to bridge the four-point gap to safety

He also captained the Under-18s to a second successive Premier Academy League title in 2013.

After starting the current season with six goals in six matches for the Under-21s, Woodrow was sent out on loan to Southend United in Sky Bet League Two to gain first-team experience.

Arriving on September 2, he was straight into Phil Brown's starting XI for his Football League debut against Morecambe five days later.

In all, he made 10 starts and nine substitute appearances for the Shrimpers, scoring against Exeter City in a 2-0 win and the winner at AFC Wimbledon on Boxing Day.

Although the loan deal was meant to last until the end of the season, Fulham were disappointed with the number of games he was starting and recalled him.

Gaining experience: Woodrow spent the first half of the season on loan at Southend, playing here in the FA Cup fourth round tie with Hull City at Roots Hall

It was a decision that also annoyed the Southend boss Brown: 'Fulham deciding to call back Cauley is disappointing news from my point of view.

'Fulham said they had done it because he wasn't starting matches but Cauley was certainly developing as a player with us and sampled an awful lot.'

However, as the last couple of weeks have shown, Fulham had grander ideas for the blond forward.

What's his style?
Woodrow is an out-and-out striker who knows his primary objective is to convert chances and he certainly has the clinical finish to achieve this.

He possesses smart movement in the box to drift away from markers and is adept at timing a run round the back of the defence to beat the offside trap.

He can utilise his strength to good effect to gain leverage over defenders in aerial duels and can also take a good penalty.

Behind you! Woodrow scored two goals for Southend during his loan spell and is seen here in action against Oxford United

How much is he worth?
Woodrow was worth a six-figure sum when he arrived at Fulham and, given his impressive scoring record at Under-18 and Under-21 levels, combined with subsequent first team appearances, there must now be an extra digit on that.

He is contracted to Fulham until 2016 and it seems unlikely that he will move on at this stage. However, if he continues to impress in the first team and the goals start flowing, then that situation could change.

The situation is also dependent on whether Fulham need to cut their playing budget should they drop into the Championship. Dropping down a level could mean more first-team opportunities for Woodrow as bigger earners are sold.

If it looks as though he won't be getting more top flight outings, Woodrow is still young enough to benefit from a loan spell at a Football League club.

Disappointment: Woodrow reacts after Cardiff scored their third goal in the 3-1 win last weekend. But his second senior appearance, against Newcastle, ended in a 1-0 win

How will he fit in?
Magath has been looking for his perfect front two since his arrival on February 14. In his first match at West Bromwich, it was Hugo Rodallega on his own up front.

In the home defeat to Chelsea, Darren Bent go the role, while at Cardiff, it was two up top with Woodrow partnered with Konstantinos Mitroglou.

And against Newcastle, Woodrow was the only striker with a trio of Alexander Kacaniklic, Lewis Holtby and Pajtim Kasami behind him.

Kasami and Woodrow linked up well, and Fulham claimed three vital points, so this could be the system Magath persists with. Ashkan Dejagah, who scored the winner, could be an alternative to Kasami in behind the young striker.

Manchester City 1-2 Fulham, Barclays U21 Premier League

Hands on: Cardiff defender Ben Turner gets to grips with Woodrow during the match at Cardiff City Stadium

Everyone has a weakness...
Woodrow was prolific for Fulham's youth teams but just the two goals during his loan spell at Southend was a slightly disappointing return.

While the experience at Roots Hall was useful, he might have hoped to score a few more, especially in a team performing well in League Two.

What happens next?
Fulham travel to Manchester City next and since it's not a game they can realistically expect to win, Magath is again likely to field a lone striker.

Woodrow is the leading candidate for that job at the moment, given that he retained his place where Rodallega, Bent and Mitroglou failed.

More first-team appearances are very likely between now and the end of the season but beyond that depends on whether Fulham survive.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2582719/In-Spotlight-Profile-Fulham-striker-Cauley-Woodrow.html#ixzz2wFWd6WMO
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

What Would Fulham Have To Do To Stay Up?

The win against Newcastle gave Fulham a modicum of hope. There are eight fixtures remaining, what would Fulham need to do to stay up?

I've Looked back at the history of the last eighteen Premier League seasons. This is when the switch was made to twenty teams. While it's not the largest sample, it's all we've got to go on.

No team has ever been relegated if they got to 43 points. If Fulham won seven of eight, they'd be at 45. We can all agree that would make them safe 100% of the time. However, I also think we can all agree that's an unrealistic scenario; so let's focus on things that might be likely to occur.

Three Wins - 33 Points

Historically, this would give Fulham a 6% chance of staying up. Those aren't great odds, but it's about as likely as flipping a coin four times and always getting heads. Or if you prefer poker, hitting a gut shot straight on the river. If you've ever lost money gambling, you'll know that things like this do happen from time to time. To get here, Fulham would simply have to beat Norwich, Hull, and Palace at home. As unlikely as staying up with 33 points would be, beating those three teams at home wouldn't be that unheard of. A loss to any of them, would be disastrous because all of the following scenarios depend on those nine points.

Three Wins and one Draw - 34 Points

On three occasions, 34 points have been enough to keep a team up. In 22% of seasons, it's been enough to keep a team safe. If Fulham can win the three home games mentioned above, they'd still need to find one match to draw. Everton at home, Villa away, Spurs away, or Stoke away are the fixtures that you could reasonably hope for it to happen. Again, this wouldn't be a crazy scenario. If you believe Fulham are capable of this, it's like you have a gut shot straight after the flop that you need to fill.

Three Wins and two Draws - 35 Points

Just like the above, three times 35 points have been enough to keep a team up. Teams that reached this threshold have stayed up 39% of the time. Once again, you have to win the three home games against the other bad teams. Then Fulham would need to gain draw two out of Everton, Villa, Spurs, and Stoke. Not the toughest task, but not easy either. This is where the heart attack scenarios begin. Fulham could enter the last two weeks needing four points to stay up, making the last two fixtures real nail biters.

Four Wins - 36 Points

Getting to 36 points boosts your historical odds all the way up to 44.4%. That's not quite a coin flip, but it's getting close. Fulham would only need to turn one of those draws into a win, and they'd get here. Considering a team like Stoke City might be playing for nothing on the second to last day, it isn't crazy.

Five Wins - 39 Points

People always talk about 40 points being the magic number. However, teams that got to 39 points would have been safe 83% of the time. That extra point only gets you to 89%. If Fulham get to 39 points, I'm reasonably confident they'd stay up. They'd need to win two out of three against Everton, Stoke, and Villa. A tough task, but not unheard of.

Those are what I'd call the realistic scenarios for survival. Sure there are a few others (four wins and a draw for 37 points and 67% survival rate, or four wins and two draws for 38 points and a 78% rate). But you can only hope for a result in so many of the remaining fixtures. The next three fixtures are especially important. Getting any result in those three games keeps all the scenarios alive. Any result against Man City would be gravy, as all the scenarios ignore that possibility. While losing all three matches doesn't close the door on any of the possibilities, it removes the minuscule margin of error the club currently has.

I've played enough poker in my life to have been beaten many times by long shot odds, I'm hoping I'm on the other end for once. COYWS!

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2014/3/17/5518364/what-would-fulham-have-to-do-to-stay-up?

WhiteJC

The Strange Case of Dejagah

Football can be a strange old game.

Take the case of Ashkan Dejagah.

Dejagah, who scored the winning (and only goal) against Newcastle on Saturday, thereby giving us three very welcome points, has now scored 2 goals in his last 4 Premier League appearances.

Following his winning goal, which came from an appearance off of the bench, Dejagah had this to say,

"It was probably the most important goal I`ve ever scored. I was not really fit, but I only needed 20 minutes on the pitch to make a difference."

However, returning to the strange nature of our game, we should point out that prior to hitting this run of scoring form Dejagah had only scored 1 in his first 32 Premier League games.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=353176#ixzz2wFXufJZl

WhiteJC

Magath gets on his bike
by DAN on MARCH 18, 2014

Felix Magath has been known to set significant store by his demanding fitness programme in his past managerial jobs and the Fulham manager demonstrated that he practices what he preaches by cycling through Wandsworth this morning.

The German coach was pictured on a Boris bike by Twitter user Kieran Roles and confirmation of the Fulham manager's unconventional means of getting around the capital came with several other tweets by surprised pedestrians along Magath's route. Magath, 60, might well still have been full of enthusiasm following his first win since taking over from Rene Meulensteen at Craven Cottage, with Saturday's 1-0 win over Newcastle breathing new life in the bottom club's bid for Premier League survival.

Magath isn't the only Fulham man who eschews a car to get around London. Midfielder Lewis Holtby, who has quickly become something of a cult hero since signing from Tottenham on loan in January, uploaded a snap of his journey home from the Cottage on the tube after Saturday's victory.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/03/magath-gets-on-his-bike/?

WhiteJC

Magath: I'll keep faith with the kids
by DAN on MARCH 18, 2014

Felix Magath has insisted he will continue to place Fulham's Premier League survival bid in the hands of the club's promising youngsters.

The German manager handed teenage striker Cauley Woodrow a surprise debut at Cardiff City a week ago and kept faith with the 19 year-old for Saturday's crucial victory over Newcastle. Magath's belief in Woodrow was rewarded by a mature and energetic display from the England youth international – and Magath explained his decision to give some of Fulham's youngsters an opportunity came about because of some stilted performances from more senior players.

The decision was based on the last games. I had thought that, in this situation, the older players are more confident – but they weren't.

The young players like Cauley are more exciting. They have nothing to lose and give us good motivation, and I think they give us more of a chance to stay up.

Magath was also full of praise for promising winger Patrick Roberts, who was handed a spot on the bench on Saturday, and has tipped the wide man for a successful professional career.

Cauley played very well. I'm convinced that he will have a future and I also think that in Patrick Roberts we have an extraordinary talent here. Pat is a player for the future and if the game was heading in a different way then I'd have put him on to score. He is only 17 but he is a very good goalscorer and he will do it in the Premier League too.

The 17 year-old, a regular in England's youth sides, recently signed his first professional contract at Craven Cottage.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/03/magath-ill-keep-faith-with-the-kids/?

K33NY

I like this!

"Magath: I'll keep faith with the kids"

Hes known to use experienced players but he clearly see what talents the youth in Fulham has!

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: K33NY on March 18, 2014, 01:45:54 PM
I like this!

"Magath: I'll keep faith with the kids"

Hes known to use experienced players but he clearly see what talents the youth in Fulham has!

Seems Mr Magath is showing us all that he's a good bit more than what the papers would have us believing.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

grandad

Fulham striker Darren Bent is expected to return for the Premier League game against Manchester City on Saturday.

Do not like this at all. Thought we had seen the last of him.
Where there's a will there's a wife

MikeCdawg

"Fulham boosted their survival chances with a 1-0 victory at Craven Cottage and it has emerged Magath used photographs around the home changing room as motivation.

"We had a few pictures up on the walls," said goalkeeper David Stockdale. "You do not walk into a dressing room every day and see pictures of fans but they are people who wear the badge with pride and know what it means to be Fulham.

"The supporters have been through some tough times and they have been first class through everything this season. I looked around at what we have had in the six years I have been at the club to remind me of the bad times and the good times. Someone said to us last week that it is not the badge on the front of our shirt we are playing for at the moment, it is the Premier League badge on the side. That really hit home."

I like this,really starting to like Magath. He's showing he cares.

FPT

Quote from: grandad on March 18, 2014, 02:51:31 PM

Do not like this at all. Thought we had seen the last of him.

By return, that doesn't mean start. It just means whatever personal reasons were in the way, have now gone and he can become a member of the squad.

Twig

Quote from: FPT on March 18, 2014, 03:13:17 PM
Quote from: grandad on March 18, 2014, 02:51:31 PM

I wouldn't even want Bent on the bench.  Stick with Woodrow and have another young striker on the bench.