watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tosh Chamberlain !!!

Started by MOR :, March 26, 2014, 04:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOR :

Just thought I'd tell you...I just met the Great Tosh Chamberlain with his lovely lady in Asda Roehampton.

I've met and spoke to him before...But I'd just like to say what a lovely man. That's all...

SouthfieldWhite

When we were campaigning to get the Johnny Haynes Statue, some how LB got Tosh down to one of our meetings at the Earl Beatty in Motspur Park.

He  was great entertainment that night tell us all his old stories

MJG

Have we signed him?

MOR :

Quote from: MJG on March 26, 2014, 05:00:10 PM
Have we signed him?

He'd certainly know where the goal was...

win-dup

Great character, Great scorer, Great times. Thank you Tosh.

ron

What a warrior ! What a diamond geezer !

sunburywhite

Quote from: MOR : on March 26, 2014, 05:09:47 PM
Quote from: MJG on March 26, 2014, 05:00:10 PM
Have we signed him?

He'd certainly know where the goal was...

from what I remember (fondly) of him, he might have known where the goal was but that didn't mean the ball went anywhere near it. Sometimes the corner flag was in more danger than the goalpost
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

RaySmith

He certainly had a fierce shot, though not always accurate!

Very fond memories of Tosh exchanging banter with the fans on the Riverside terracing, and Haynes shouting at him when he failed to control a typcal fifty yard, inch perfect pass. The  Haynes /Tosh show was one of the most entertaining features of Fulham at this time.

Tosh really seems to represent Fulham at this period, for me, and he could play a bit, with a great burst of pace, and the aforementioned unstoppable shot.

Love the man.

filham

I would love to meet Tosh, what a shot and what a great character. Can you imagine how he would hit a modern ball on a modern pitch.

Nick Bateman

I heard Tosh Chamberlain had a ferocious bullet of a shot.  Those were the days when football weighed a ton, not like these 'beach balls' they have today...
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

CorkedHat

Tosh was the greatest. In that match against Newcastle in 1954 which was the best match I have ever seen, Tosh scored three and a fourth was controversially disallowed. We lost by that one goal.
If the ball was up the other end of the field Tosh would occasionally cadge a cigarette from a spectator. When my wife was seriously ill, we received a get well card from him. Thy don't make players like him any more which is a great shame

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

grandad

It was Tosh who persuaded The Maestro to sign for us. He will never be forgotten for that. Met him many times when he visited our neighbours opposite. Interesting chap he was too. His name was Spud Murphy as he was a potato wholesaler. He used to sit on the pitch side benches infront of the enclosure. He told me that a player was dithering with a throw in so he got up took the ball & threw it in himself. The ref waved play on. Classic Fulham.
Where there's a will there's a wife

georgiajohn

Saw him score a goal against Peter Bonetti at the Cottage he hit it from 30 yards and Bonetti did not even move, wonderful memories of him

cottage expat

Quote from: RaySmith on March 26, 2014, 08:59:52 PM
He certainly had a fierce shot, though not always accurate!

Very fond memories of Tosh exchanging banter with the fans on the Riverside terracing, and Haynes shouting at him when he failed to control a typcal fifty yard, inch perfect pass. The  Haynes /Tosh show was one of the most entertaining features of Fulham at this time.

Tosh really seems to represent Fulham at this period, for me, and he could play a bit, with a great burst of pace, and the aforementioned unstoppable shot.

Love the man.

+1. I remember joining in the banter (it also reminds me of us shouting at Eddie Lowe to "get a haircut, Eddie"). Tosh was a classic !

gang

One way he used to beat a right back was to kick the ball at him, it would wind the right back and then Tosh would take the rebound.

Galeforce

If any one hasn't read it, check out Allan Mullerys autob. and go right to the chapter 'Carry on Fulham', some great stories about Fulham in the late 50's (Tosh having a fag on the bench with a young Mullery still makes me laugh).
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win.

bog

I had the honour to shake his hand once. A genuinely nice man. My cult hero.   

092.gif