watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham and strikers (recent years)

Started by K33NY, March 26, 2014, 09:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K33NY

Just saw Berbatov scored again for Monaco and I was starting to think, what is it with Fulham and its strikers recently, I dont miss Berbatov, never liked the guy, not before he came to Fulham either, but seeing he scored again.

What is it that makes it so wrong for us to make the strikers score many goals? Last season he scored 15? I think it was, wich isnt bad. But look at Bent, Rodallega, or go back longer in time, Johnson, Zamora, Nevland.

They werent excactly frequent goalscorers.

I think we have to go back to Hayles/Saha days and McBride to find a real regular goalscorer?

Hayles 175 apps, 44 goals
Saha 117 apps, 53 goals
McBride 140 apps 33 goals.

Wish we would see a real striker do good for us, to score regurarely, wish we could see some real attractive attacking football again. You think we will see that under Magath next season, either its PL or Championship?

Stueyd

Cannot believe John Watson does not get a mention!!! All the way from Scotland played a few games. I even saw him score in the cup circa 1990!! Was that his only goal? Those supporters around at the time will remember watching him!! And of course the great Dirk Lehmann!

filham

Saha, Hails, McBride and Zamora have been our only premiership strikers of note. The others never really came up to scratch.

I know Zamora had an attitude and that he didn't score at a high rate but he really did a good job as a target man, I would have him in the team in place of those we have tried this season.

K33NY

Quote from: filham on March 26, 2014, 09:32:13 PM
Saha, Hails, McBride and Zamora have been our only premiership strikers of note. The others never really came up to scratch.

I know Zamora had an attitude and that he didn't score at a high rate but he really did a good job as a target man, I would have him in the team in place of those we have tried this season.

True he did well as a Target man! And he did score some vital goals, but regurarely he didnt though. 92 apps 20 goals, not bad but not particurarely good either in my oppinion.

SimpleTactics

To be fair the service has never been great either

FPT

Top Premier League goalscorers since Saha:

2004/5: Andy Cole - 12 - Finished: 13th
2005/6: Collins John - 11 - Finished: 12th
2006/07: Brian McBride - 9 - Finished: 16th
2007/08: Clint Dempsey - 6 - Finished: 17th
2008/09: Andy Johnson - 7 - Finished: 7th (Highest ever position)
2009/10: Bobby Zamora - 8 - Finished: 12th
2010/11: Clint Dempsey - 12 - Finished: 8th
2011/12: Clint Dempsey - 17 - Finished: 9th (Highest ever points tally)
2012/13: Dimitar Berbatov - 15 - Finished: 12th
2013/14 (so far): Steve Sidwell - 6 - Finished (currently): 20th

As people have said, Zamora didn't need to be a goalscorer, his presence was perfect for our inverted wingers, namely Duff, to grab goals from him bringing the ball down and laying it off.

Also, I agree with SimpleTactics, our service has been pretty poor the last few years. Ruiz/Berbatov wasn't a partnership, both need runners ahead of them to create space, Dejagah/Kacaniklic have a pretty poor ability at crossing the ball, and when a good cross is fizzed in, it's mostly no one in there.

We've also lacked runners beyond the strikers to break the lines of defence. Steve Sidwell has done it a couple of times, vs United and Aston Villa, but not enough.

valdeingruo

I think Nevland in particular deserves more credit.  Quite the super sub. Would be great to have him and McBride back in white.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

K33NY

Quote from: andersons11 on March 26, 2014, 11:43:43 PM
I think Nevland in particular deserves more credit.  Quite the super sub. Would be great to have him and McBride back in white.

I didnt say anything bad about any of these players, except they werent regular scorers, Nevland had a couple of important goals to no doubt, but would you rather have striker that scores one goal now and then wich is vital, or a striker that scores regurarely. To win a match you need to score, that has been our problem, and our strikers problem.

valdeingruo

I see your point. But at the moment I would take a scorer of important goals.  We should do with a player like Progrebnyak who burst on the scene and scored goals if only to keep us up. Mitro will be worth the fee alone if he can get fit and score
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

K33NY

Yeah I certainly hope he gets fit for at least some of the last matches and puts in some winning goals, Bent and Roda just dont cut it :S
Has there been said anything on how long Mitro is out?

Bassey the warrior

There is some form of curse on the club. The error in signing Mitro has probably cost us everything and for that price we could've got someone else in.

cmg

I noticed the other day that 28 goals have been scored so far this season by Fulham players wearing a Fulham shirt, while 26 have been scored by Fulham players wearing somebody else's shirt (obviously none of them in our PL).

fulhamking

Dear Folks,
Dont expect any striker to score important goals at the club when the club does not have a playmaker and the midfield is the funniest in the league. Maradona could come to Fulham and after 2 weeks people will say he is mediocre because he cannot score goals. Sort out the midfield, Khan. Goals will come..

cmg

Quote from: fulhamking on March 27, 2014, 09:38:25 AM
Dear Folks,
Dont expect any striker to score important goals at the club when the club does not have a playmaker and the midfield is the funniest in the league. Maradona could come to Fulham and after 2 weeks people will say he is mediocre because he cannot score goals. Sort out the midfield, Khan. Goals will come..

More or less my take on proceedings from day one of the present fiasco season.