Main Menu

Defence on Sunday

Started by Still believe, March 26, 2014, 11:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still believe

Does anyone know:
if Heitinga is eligible to play?
whether Burn is fit?

Can't help but feel I'd be much happier if we were going into the game with the Hangeland/Hughes combo...

Blanco

Why wouldn't he be able to play. He's not on loan. Dunno if Burn is fit.

I would like to see Riether back in and Hangeland & Heitinga at CB with Richardson at LB although I do like him at LM. I don't think Riise will be able to handle Deulofeu's pace though.  :023:

Still believe

Wow, I happily I stand corrected... I always assumed he was on loan, that's a good piece of news that I didn't anticipate from this thread...
I too would like Reither, Heitinga, Hangeland, & probably Richardson (I'm an Riise fan but he didn't seem to move well enough last weekend)...

Still believe

@Blanco agree with your edit...

Dodger53

Richardson is not a left back unless re old joke 'left back in the changing room'. As much good as a full back as Matthew Briggs is and that is no good!

FPT

Johnny Heitinga is our player, he no longer plays for Everton. It's a free transfer, not a loan.

We saw in the Capital One Cup, that he can't handle Gerard Deulofeu, I presume, again, that it will be Richardson.

I'm not convinced that Felix Magath sees Sascha Riether as a right back, or Felix Magath prefers Heitinga because, like an Ivanovic, his first intention isn't to attack. Riether has been caught out a number of times this season.

Wingnut

Riise cannot play. Coleman has been in brilliant form all season, arguably the best RB in the country. He would roast Riise all day long. Everton looked outstanding last night and played some beautiful stuff. They are a side full of pace and power. I was shocked to hear that Newcastle was their first away league victory of 2014. Let's hope their inability to win away from home returns on Sunday.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bassey the warrior

Burn one assumes will play. It would be an incredible decision to overlook him. Richardson is best suited to dealing with Deulofeu as he's the quickest left back option. 

Rhys Lightning 63

Just seen that Jack Grimmer has been recalled from Port Vale. Could that answer a few questions?
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on March 27, 2014, 10:13:01 AM
Just seen that Jack Grimmer has been recalled from Port Vale. Could that answer a few questions?
Intriguing. Still, Burn should be playing. I presume this is to add squad depth following Amore's sending off and that Burn will go straight in and Grimmer will step up to the bench. Well done to the lad, I'm happy for him.

Dodger53

Quote from: The Moose on March 27, 2014, 03:30:37 AM
Burn one assumes will play. It would be an incredible decision to overlook him. Richardson is best suited to dealing with Deulofeu as he's the quickest left back option. 
Richardson is not a left back - quick of foot but slow in thinking

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Dodger53 on March 27, 2014, 10:56:52 AM
Quote from: The Moose on March 27, 2014, 03:30:37 AM
Richardson is not a left back - quick of foot but slow in thinking

Agreed and frankly I think we've lost something by playing him there rather than on the wing. However Riise looks too slow for the Premier League and Briggs never impressed me. Who else is there? Amorebieta?

Bassey the warrior

I see from Physioroom that Burn is out, bit gutted for him. So Heitinga to return to centre back, where's he's done very well and Riether to return to right back. Hopefully he knows when to get forward now and when to hold the line. I think Pienaar is out which can only be a good thing, so left back is more of a problem with Deulofeu on the right wing.