watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Nostalgia stories

Started by FPT, March 27, 2014, 11:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

Obviously, this messageboard is filled with posters from different generations, so I thought it would be interesting to pass over some great (true) stories about the club. It can be past players, the Cottage or anything.

I remember being told that Jose Mourinho, on his first visit to Craven Cottage, uttered that it was his favourite place to play in the country, because it was throwback, it was unique and it was one of the last entities of old school, British football.

Holders

A few Peter Mellor stories:

We once had a goalkeeper called Malcolm Webster who was hopeless. He could clutch defeat from the jaws of victory and cost us many games. We then bought Mellor from Birmingham and in his first game we chanted his name as he came to our end (as was the custom then) and he shyly raised a hand to us. He kept clean sheets for several games and when he let one in we chanted "Webster" and he turned around and gave us a broad smile - he got the joke.

There was a girl who used to stand lower down the Hammersmith end than me who used to write notes on bits of paper, fold them into darts and throw them to Mellor. In a quiet moment he would pick them up, read them, turn around and beam at her. God knows what they said!

Many years later, my new wife and I were swapping old Fulham stories and she told me that she used to write notes to Peter Mellor, fold them into darts...

She was also the secretary to the colonel who was in charge of the army football team and used to type the letters calling players  back from duty for games. Maik Taylor was one and we got to tell him this.

Small world.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

sunburywhite

They don't make nostalgia stories like they used to
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

grandad

I went into Eddie Lowe´s sports shop in Tolworth & asked him to show me some football boots. He said "Left foot or right foot, most players only use one"
Where there's a will there's a wife

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Holders on March 28, 2014, 07:37:42 AM

We once had a goalkeeper called Malcolm Webster who was hopeless. He could clutch defeat from the jaws of victory and cost us many games. We then bought Mellor from Birmingham and in his first game we chanted his name as he came to our end (as was the custom then) and he shyly raised a hand to us. He kept clean sheets for several games and when he let one in we chanted "Webster" and he turned around and gave us a broad smile - he got the joke.

There was a girl who used to stand lower down the Hammersmith end than me who used to write notes on bits of paper, fold them into darts and throw them to Mellor. In a quiet moment he would pick them up, read them, turn around and beam at her. God knows what they said!

Many years later, my new wife and I were swapping old Fulham stories and she told me that she used to write notes to Peter Mellor, fold them into darts...

She was also the secretary to the colonel who was in charge of the army football team and used to type the letters calling players  back from duty for games. Maik Taylor was one and we got to tell him this.

Small world.
Well???
Did she tell what she used to write?

WhiteJC

Quote from: BestOfBrede on March 28, 2014, 03:38:56 PM
Quote from: Holders on March 28, 2014, 07:37:42 AM

Small world.
Well???
Did she tell what she used to write?

the colonel says hello?

Holders

The colonel was much later and had sadly died by the time that we got to talk to Maik but he remembered him well.

No, she didn't tell me what she wrote! Something saucy, I have no doubt.

But it's odd that I saw her throwing those darts in the 70s and it wasn't until about 1998 that we met. I'd completely forgotten about the darts until she told me. She used to stand by the left hand side of the goal quite low down, I'd have been just in front of the green pole.

Another thing was that she would pass me in her green Morris Minor (Fulham stickers and all) when I was hitching, Fulham scarf and all. I've since accosted her on that and she denies passing me without giving me a lift. But I know better, you don't forget things like that.

epsomraver

Quote from: Holders on March 28, 2014, 06:16:16 PM
The colonel was much later and had sadly died by the time that we got to talk to Maik but he remembered him well.

No, she didn't tell me what she wrote! Something saucy, I have no doubt.

But it's odd that I saw her throwing those darts in the 70s and it wasn't until about 1998 that we met. I'd completely forgotten about the darts until she told me. She used to stand by the left hand side of the goal quite low down, I'd have been just in front of the green pole.

Another thing was that she would pass me in her green Morris Minor (Fulham stickers and all) when I was hitching, Fulham scarf and all. I've since accosted her on that and she denies passing me without giving me a lift. But I know better, you don't forget things like that.

If she threw paper darts now she would get a life time ban, could have some one's eye out! :005:

Holders

Probably! And the roast chestnut seller would have been banned as they could burn someone.

Those were the days when they had those metal signs saying "please keep off the grass" along the sides of the pitch between the touchline and the running track, they could be seriously dangerous to a player. Just as well she took one into safe custody beneath her coat one day - and it's now in my rockery (allegedly).

win-dup

Quote from: grandad on March 28, 2014, 08:45:53 AM
I went into Eddie Lowe´s sports shop in Tolworth & asked him to show me some football boots. He said "Left foot or right foot, most players only use one"

I know someone who went into Eddie's shop (which was jointly owned with Fulham goalkeeper Ian Black) and asked for a replica Fulham shirt only to be told the shop didn't stock them!

cottage expat

Speaking of Eddie Lowe reminds me of standing on the Riverside and joining in the chorus of "Get a haircut, Eddie" when he was on our side of the pitch.

LillieBoy

Every single home match we had to walk round to the Putney/Hammy end at half-time.

We had to cos the other lot "took our end".

Macclesfield Town nicked my scarf at half-time..   :012:

My mum [89] still remembers this cos she made it for me!

Fulham Tup North

092.gif. Back in 1997, when we were aiming for promotion with Micky Adams and Alan Cork,  I treated myself to a Director for a Day.  I went to Carlisle away on the coach with the Players. We got to Prestwick and watched them train,  then went back to the hotel for dinner with the team. Sat up late with Corky and Micky talking about the Wimbledon days etc.
Loads of good gossip about that weekend, but on the way there,  Simon Morgan ran a sweepstake for the next days Grand National. Unfortunately it was abandoned and rerun on the following Monday.  I had Lord Gullane,  which went on to win and Simon never paid out or answered my letters! I will get my money Morgan, in this life or the next!
What a great season that was.   049:gif
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"