watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Manchester United troubles 'affect Premier League brand' NFR

Started by epsomraver, March 28, 2014, 08:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

So because Manure are struggling that affects the amount of money that the Prem get in so are you not saying then Scudamore that more should be done to help Manure so to protect your income? what about the other 19 teams in your premier league, do they not matter? He should have stuck to riding horses! , this sums up all that is wrong in football :dft007:

Full story http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26782112

cmg

Yes, this managed to enrage me at 530 this morning as I listened to the news.

I suppose we are all meant to be rooting for 'The Brand'.

If it makes such a difference, an old saying about eggs and baskets comes to mind.

(I don't think this Scudamore is related to the horsey ones - who are very nice people.)

RaySmith

Well, Fulham, London's oldest, most traditional and unique club, are also integral to the brand, and thus should be helped escape relegation - maybe a few refereeing decisions going our way for a change!

vagrant

Quote from: epsomraver on March 28, 2014, 08:57:12 AM
So because Manure are struggling that affects the amount of money that the Prem get in so are you not saying then Scudamore that more should be done to help Manure so to protect your income? what about the other 19 teams in your premier league, do they not matter? He should have stuck to riding horses! , this sums up all that is wrong in football :dft007:

Full story http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26782112

That sort of statement goes a long way to explain the preferential treatment that they have been receiving from referees over the past twenty years.....

The Baron

I thought exactly the same when I read it this morning. It just demonstrates the inequality of the Premier League and really makes you question whether Fulham should be in it. Perhaps relegation won't be so bad after all. At least everyone will be treated fairly in the Championship.

leonffc

Quote from: The Baron on March 28, 2014, 09:34:36 AM
I thought exactly the same when I read it this morning. It just demonstrates the inequality of the Premier League and really makes you question whether Fulham should be in it. Perhaps relegation won't be so bad after all. At least everyone will be treated fairly in the Championship.

0001.jpeg

Lighthouse

It wasn't that long ago that United were relegated for one season to the second division. Denis Law playing for City sent them down with a goal he tried not to score. Other than boosting the crowds in the second division where Fulham were playing at the time, I don't remember anybody in the top division suffering.

Clubs like Arsenal and United are failing if they don't win things. But the product of the Prem remains as strong as it once was. The only real problem we have in football is that the wrong people run the game. What with the World Cup fiasco and these silly comments. One does wonder if any part of the game is being run by people who actually know about the game and not just the financial bottom line.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 28, 2014, 10:47:07 AM
It wasn't that long ago that United were relegated for one season to the second division. Denis Law playing for City sent them down with a goal he tried not to score. Other than boosting the crowds in the second division where Fulham were playing at the time, I don't remember anybody in the top division suffering.

Clubs like Arsenal and United are failing if they don't win things. But the product of the Prem remains as strong as it once was. The only real problem we have in football is that the wrong people run the game. What with the World Cup fiasco and these silly comments. One does wonder if any part of the game is being run by people who actually know about the game and not just the financial bottom line.

Dennis Law's goal didn't send them down
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Lighthouse

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on March 28, 2014, 10:53:34 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on March 28, 2014, 10:47:07 AM

Dennis Law's goal didn't send them down

Yes they would have gone down anyway as results didn't go for them on the day. Technically you are correct.

God The Mechanic

I don't really get what's wrong with what he said.  It's like advertising a film (or franchise of films) for a couple of years as starring Brad Pitt or Will Smith, only for it to be announced that actually, they only have a bit part in it now.  You will lose interest in it because there will always be people that go to see something for that one actor, or have an interest in a league for the one player or team.

If Man Utd got relegated and he decided to do what the Argentine league did when River Plate when down a few years back then fair enough, but nowhere in that statement does he suggest that more needs to be done to help them.

MJG

For anyone who watches Darts on the sky, the premier League they have has 10 players and bottom 2 should get relegated and dropped from next season.
Phil Taylor had a dreadful start and looked like he may finish bottom 2 (not going to happen now) but I'm 100% sure sky would have changed the rules and he would have been invited back next year.

The best thing that could happen to the Premier League is one of the real big team mess up and get close to going down. That would instigate the start of a process to a non relegation division. then they can all go off and play with themselves.

Lighthouse

That is what is wrong with the way our game is being packaged. It is the game that should be the selling point. Not Will Smith or Brad Pitt who make some very iffy films.

FFCByTheRiver

Who cares about the integrity of competition, when you've got a number of angry Man United fans in Malaysia that might start supporting Chelsea next season.

Logicalman

Manchester United troubles 'affect Premier League brand'

Manchester United's troubled defence of their Premier League title is harming the English top flight's worldwide brand, says the competition's chief executive Richard Scudamore.
Under new boss David Moyes, United are seventh in a disappointing campaign.
The 20-time champions are 18 points adrift of leaders Chelsea.
"It's a double-edged sword," said Scudamore. "When your most popular club isn't doing as well, that costs you interest and audience in some places."
Former Everton manager Moyes has watched the Red Devils suffer 10 defeats in 31 league matches since he replaced Sir Alex Ferguson, who retired last summer after almost 27 years in charge.
His team were knocked out of the FA Cup at the third-round stage before being eliminated from the Capital One Cup in the semi-finals.
They have reached the Champions League quarter-finals, where they will face defending champions Bayern Munich next month.
"There are lots of fans around the world who wish Manchester United were winning it again," Scudamore told Bloomberg.
"But you have to balance that off against, generally, we're in the business of putting on a competition and competition means people can compete."
Overseas television deals will earn the Premier League more than £2bn between 2013 and 2016.
The Premier League sold its domestic broadcasting rights to Sky and BT in a record-breaking deal, worth around £3bn, last year.

Generally? Generally? I thought the Premier League was about one thing, the Premier League, and ALL it is is a competition, isn't it? Perhaps it changed since I was a lad, but according to Scud, its all about the fans who want United the win, and we just have to balance that competition thingy against that!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

HatterDon

It all looks different from England. the Prem is an international phenomenon that's driven by star teams.

As recently as 10 years ago, the Premier League was viewed in the states as Man U, Arsenal, and the teams they played against. United was the superstar and Arsenal was the team you picked if you wanted to give your United-loving friend some friendly banter. For most Premier League followers, it was a fashion thing. You saw pretty much nothing but United and Arsenal shirts being worn by young men and women with disposable income.

So, yeah, I can see that United's poor play -- by their standards -- somewhat devalues the Premier League brand. City haven't caught on yet, and Chelsea and Liverpool haven't drawn the "fashion supporters" yet. And here's the thing that probably also has Barclay's and the League worried: here and elsewhere, The Prem isn't the only game in town. We have networks that show matches weekly from Italy, Spain, France, Scotland, Australia, as well as the two European "leagues." This past Sunday I saw a youngster with a PSG shirt with Ibrahimovic on the back. [A fellow member of the choir asked me what nationality he was. You should have seen the look on her face when I said, "Zlatan Ibrahimovic -- an old Swedish name.]

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Nick Bateman

Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Berserker

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 28, 2014, 11:39:35 AM
That is what is wrong with the way our game is being packaged. It is the game that should be the selling point. Not Will Smith or Brad Pitt who make some very iffy films.

I don't know he made a good vampire
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Nero

makes you wonder about the ref at Swansea V Arsenal blowing the final whistle when Swansea on the attack would Arsenal dropping out of the top four have the same affect?  Makes you wonder how honest this league is has Scudamore had a fit and proper person test?

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I thought Newcastle and Leeds getting relegated would do the same....or was that just their fans opinions??
Anyway, isn't the SPL better now without Rangers? They said them dropping into the bottom tier would ruin it all. Think it's done wonders.
It's no one else fault apart from the owners of the club.....oh, and Moyes, Fellaini and Cleverly.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

epsomraver

Quote from: cmg on March 28, 2014, 09:08:04 AM

Yes, this managed to enrage me at 530 this morning as I listened to the news.

I suppose we are all meant to be rooting for 'The Brand'.

If it makes such a difference, an old saying about eggs and baskets comes to mind.

(I don't think this Scudamore is related to the horsey ones - who are very nice people.)

You are right, always thought he was an ex jockey 065.gif