more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (30/03/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 30, 2014, 08:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Keeping Fulham up would be one of Felix Magath's greatest achievements
FELIX MAGATH admits if he can keep Fulham in the Premier League it will rank alongside scoring the winning goal in the European Cup final.

KEEPING US UP WOULD BE A HUGE ACHIEVEMENT: Felix Magath has admitted keeping Fulham in the Premier League would be one of his greatest achievements [GETTY]

The Cottagers lie rock-bottom, four points adrift of safety with just seven games remaining.

But Magath, who had a glittering playing career, is adamant that steering Fulham to safety would be one of his finest achievements.

He said: "I have scored the winning goal in the 1983 European Cup final for Hamburg against Juventus.

"I was part of the Germany squad which won the European Championships in 1980. I played at two World Cup finals - 1982 and 1986 - where we lost in the final to Italy and Argentina.

"Would this rank as one of my biggest achievements in football? Sure, yes, it would.

"It was a very difficult situation (when I arrived), bottom of the league. The time of buying players was over so you have to work with the players that are here.

"That is very, very difficult if you have players that haven't had success for a long time.

"It has been tougher than I imagined. I knew it was a difficult job. But I am happy to do such a job. I've always done jobs like this. I like to work for things that seem impossible.

"We have confidence because of our schedule in the next games. We have four home games left. But I've seen the development in our team in the past few weeks. I'm sure we are better than before and that will be enough for us to stay in the league."

Despite all the relegation worries, Magath cut a relaxed figure ahead of tomorrow's visit of Everton.

Asked how he copes with the pressure, the 60-year-old said: "I eat well and drink - no alcohol. And I go with the bike through London.

"I haven't been to any tourist attractions recently, but I was here a year ago and we saw a lot of interesting places like Westminster and the Tower of London.

Regardless of Fulham's fate, Magath insists he will still be at the club next season.

Magath said: "I had assurances from the owner for next season. Of course it was one of the conditions when I joined. I'm convinced we will stay in the league, but you never know. I've seen the situation here and it's very good.

"It's a good club with a lot of potential that they have shown before. I like to do things to develop a team and club. Therefore, I think the conditions here at Fulham are very good for me."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/371940/Keeping-Fulham-up-would-be-one-of-Felix-Magath-s-greatest-achievements

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Everton (13:30 BST)

I think Fulham are down. I was at the game against Manchester City, which they lost 5-0. They were competitive and had a game plan, but it was only going to last until City scored. They contributed to their own downfall and collapsed after the opener.

The problem with Felix Magath is he's not been able to change any players in or out. And that's cost them dearly. A win might give them renewed hope, but not enough to stay up.

They've re-signed Mahamadou Diarra - he might be good for them, but they need a lot, lot more.

Everton are on a very good run. They can sniff the fact Arsenal are dropping points, and still have to face them at home.

They're playing well again. Four straight wins in the Premier League - why not go to Fulham and make it five? Lots of other teams have gone there and won. Fulham are conceding goals like there's no tomorrow.

Everton definitely have a chance of finishing fourth, no doubt about it. Arsenal have some tough fixtures and have injury problems.

Lawro's prediction: 1-2
Sam's prediction: 2-2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26763492

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Everton

Match Preview

After recording their fourth Premier League win on the bounce with that superb 3-0 victory at Newcastle on Tuesday evening, Everton have vaulted themselves back into the Champions League picture.

Six points behind Arsenal with a game in hand and the Gunners still to visit Goodison Park next weekend, all of a sudden there is a glimmer of hope that the top-four finish that looked destined to elude the Blues once more could be a possibility.

The manner of Everton's destruction of the Barcodes is really what has unbridled much of the mostly cautious optimism among Evertonians in recent days. Coming on the heels of three consecutive home wins, all earned in a fashion that arguably fell short of top-four standard, Roberto Martinez's masterstroke team selection at St James' Park and the ensuing magic from the likes of Ross Barkley and Gerard Deulofeu has instilled a belief among fans and team alike that we might just have the ability and the momentum to dislodge Arsenal from their perennial spot in the Champions League qualification places.

There is an awfully long way to go, of course, and the kind of pitfall that has undone Everton teams in the past lies in wait at Craven Cottage this Sunday. Not only have the Blues stumbled in this kind of match where the expectation of victory has either weighed on them too heavily or let complacency creep in but they have had their problems when playing the team propping up the division on a couple of occasions already this season.

A 0-0 draw at Crystal Palace represented another of those frustrating draws that, in the final reckoning, may yet prove responsible if we miss out on the top four, while the home defeat to Sunderland, albeit in the mitigating circumstances of Tim Howard' sending off, was equally damaging.

Fulham, vulnerable but scrapping for their lives under new manager Felix Magath and possessing the advantage of Craven Cottage, the tight environs of which have been a perennial problem for Everton teams down the years, could prove to be equally difficult to overcome if Everton are not on the top of their game.

Martinez is aided by a relatively clean bill of health for his squad, though, with Steven Pienaar the only short-term absentee likely to be missing. The manager confirmed in his pre-match press conference that Phil Jagielka is now fully fit but it remains to be seen whether he plays it ultra-cautious regarding his readiness and keeps John Stones in the line-up. The young defender had to have 10 stitches in a gash above his eyebrow on Tuesday but that won't keep him out of the team if he is needed.

Martinez's squad-rotation policy where the attacking midfield players is concerned makes predicting his starting XI something of a challenge. Ross Barkley and Gerard Deulofeu starred at St James' Park in front of Leon Osman and all three made a case for continuing in the team given how well they worked as a triumverate in concert with Romelu Lukaku up front. The Spanish winger also enjoyed himself on his first visit to this ground in the Carling Cup back in September where, despite utterly dominating Fulham for much of the match, the Blues still lost 2-1.

Kevin Mirallas and Aiden McGeady will be champing at the bit after missing out entirely against Newcastle and that kind of hunger can only stand Martinez in good stead over the remaning eight games.

The nub of Everton's situation, though, is that the heroics and thrill of Tuesday's win will mean nothing if they can't put struggling Fulham away and take three points back to Merseyside ahead of the visit of Arsenal. Arsene Wenger's side face a huge challenge against Manchester City at the Emirates but then have a relatively smooth run-in after their trip to Goodison so the Blues are going to need to amass as many points as possible.

A performance of the intensity, focus and incisiveness with which they beat the Toon will be the order of the day.

If they can register a fifth consecutive League win, it will be only the second time they have managed the feat in the Premier League era and it would certainly keep both their momentum alive and keep the pressure on the teams around them to pick up points themselves.

Kick off: Sunday, 1.30pm BST
Referee: Anthony Taylor

http://toffeeweb.com/season/13-14/news/27107.html

WhiteJC

Felix Craving Goals

Felix Magath has challenged his side to find the back of the net with more frequency in the final seven games of the season.

The Fulham boss has worked hard to try to encourage the team to be more positive in matches, and he feels improvements have been made.

Asked what makes him so sure the Whites can stay up, he replied: "You see, there was no confidence in the team at the beginning and I thought the team was asked to defend a lot in the last weeks, to go back.

"Now, we try to change the situation because I think to play football is to score goals. That is the sense of playing football; to score goals, and to go forwards.  And that, I think, works better and better in the training sessions and that gives us more confidence for the game on Sunday.

"In the first minutes in Manchester against City, we played very well. The success against Newcastle United gave us confidence. Unfortunately, the decision with the first penalty and then with the second, when Fernando Amorebieta was sent off, were decisions which were too much for us at that moment.

"But I think we showed in the first half that we are better than before and I'm sure that we will climb further in the next weeks."

He continued: "I know this is a difficult job but I don't care. I'm happy to do such a job, I've always done jobs like this. I like to work for things that seem impossible. The team has developed in the last weeks. I'm sure that we will play better than before and that will be enough to stay in the league.

"I'm convinced that we will stay in the league, but you never know. For me, I've seen that this is a very good Club with more potential than they've shown before. I'd like to do such things to develop a team, to develop a club, and therefore I think here at Fulham that there are, for me, very, very good conditions."

Cauley Woodrow has started the last three matches for Fulham and has led the line with aplomb, often in a lone striking role. In doing so, he has won the plaudits of his Manager.

"I'm very happy because he has done very well in his games," Magath stated. "He is a young player who likes to play, who's willing to get the ball and stay at the ball, and so he protects the ball very well.

"Instead of him, we have good strikers but there is nobody who can protect the ball as well as Cauley can do."

One other youngster Magath was quizzed about in his pre-match press conference was Jack Grimmer after the defender was recalled from his loan spell at Port Vale ahead of schedule.

He explained: "You see, we have now Dan Burn who is injured and now Fernando is out of the game so we are out of defenders. Therefore, I called Jack back and he will maybe not play on Sunday but maybe in the next weeks he will play for us."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/29/felix-craving-goals?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Everton

By John Motson
BBC Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Sunday, 30 March

TEAM NEWS

Ashkan Dejagah returns to the Fulham squad to face Everton but Scott Parker and Kostas Mitroglou remain sidelined.
Defender John Heitinga is expected to deputise for the suspended Fernando Amorebieta against his former club.

The return of Everton captain Phil Jagielka after a hamstring injury is likely to be the only change from their midweek win at Newcastle.
Steven Pienaar remains sidelined with a knee problem.

MATCH PREVIEW

I've seen some comparisons between Ross Barkley and Diego Maradona since the Everton player's goal at Newcastle in midweek. Saying he is Maradona-esque is a bit strong, but if I was England coach Roy Hodgson I'd take him to the World Cup.

I think there is space for an emerging youngster in the squad and he has got so much ability. He could play at the top of the
diamond, with Steven Gerrard in that same deep role that he plays at Liverpool.

That debate is a little way off just yet; first Barkley and co have got to concentrate on the pursuit of Champions League qualification at Fulham.

The momentum for a top-four finish is with Everton rather than Arsenal. While Roberto Martinez's side have won four league games on the trot, Arsenal's 2-2 draw with Swansea midweek made it one win in four.

Everton will be desperate to make it five consecutive victories to send them into next weekend's home meeting against the Gunners with their confidence sky-high.

This game is no less important for Fulham. Felix Magath has spoken about their winnable fixtures in the run-in. Home games against Norwich, Hull and Crystal Palace do look inviting, but they would love to get the ball rolling with at least a point out of Saturday's game.

Having three managers has certainly not helped them this season, and the players must be a bit confused by the chopping and changing. They can take some solace from the fact that they have already beaten Everton at home this season - albeit in the League Cup way back in September.

However, I do fear for Fulham, mainly because their recent record has been so poor. One win in 11 matches is far from ideal when you're trying to avoid relegation.

Martinez has added a touch of flair to an Everton team that were already very compact - not good news for a Fulham side that has shipped 70 goals and counting this season.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Fulham have only lost two of their 12 Premier League home games against Everton (W8, D2, L2). However, only one of those victories has come in the last five attempts.

Everton's 4-1 win over Fulham in the reverse fixture continued the Cottagers' miserable winless league record at Goodison Park (D4, L22).

Fulham
Fulham have only won one of their last 11 league matches.
Their 1-0 victory over Newcastle in their last home fixture was only their fourth clean sheet of the season.
Only Sunderland (12 points) have a worse home record than Fulham this season (13 points).
Fulham have conceded the first goal in a league-high 22 of their 31 matches this season.
Last week's 5-0 defeat by Manchester City was the first time Fulham had failed to score in seven league games.
Darren Bent has scored four goals in his last six games against Everton.

Everton
Everton have won four Premier League games in a row for the first time since March 2008.
Only Chelsea (four) have lost fewer games than Everton this season (five).
Everton's 3-0 midweek win at Newcastle was their first in six away fixtures (D2, L3). They scored more goals against the Magpies than they managed in those five previous matches (two).
It was also a first clean sheet on their travels since their 1-0 win at Old Trafford on 4 December.
Ross Barkley has scored in consecutive Premier League games for the first time.
Gerard Deulofeu has two goals and three assists from his five Premier League starts - one of which came in the reverse fixture in December.
Romelu Lukaku has scored in three of his last four Premier League games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26703762

WhiteJC

Fulham boss explains why he recalled Grimmer from Port Vale loan

Magath says young defender is needed at Craven Cottage as cover

Return: Jack Grimmer has been recalled from his loan at Port Vale
Jack Grimmer was recalled from his loan spell at Port Vale because he is needed at Fulham as cover, says manager Felix Magath.

The 20-year-old defender made 14 appearances for the Valiants before his spell at the League One club was cut short this week due to Fernando Amorebieta's suspension and Dan Burn's ongoing injury problems.

However, boss Magath insists the youngster may have to bide his time rather than be thrown in at the deep end against Everton this weekend.

He said: "We have Dan Burn injured and now Fernando is out, so we are short of defenders. Therefore I called Jack back and, maybe not on Sunday but in the next few weeks, he may play for us."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-explains-recalled-grimmer-6891467?

WhiteJC

Magath reveals why Woodrow gets the nod ahead of Bent

Rookie striker's ability to hold the ball up has earned him a place in the Fulham side

Rising star: Fulham striker Cauley Woodrow
Cauley Woodrow has been preferred to Darren Bent and Hugo Rodallega in Fulham's attack because of his hold-up play.

The rookie striker, who managed four goals in 22 games for League Two Southend United earlier this season, has led the line in the Cottagers' last three matches after his shock promotion to the first team.

However, boss Felix Magath insists the 19-year-old provides a different option to the more experienced Bent and Rodallega.

He said: "The others are good strikers but there is nobody to protect the ball as good as Cauley does.

"I'm very happy because he has done very well in his games. He is a young player who is willing to get the ball and protect it."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/magath-reveals-woodrow-gets-nod-6891641?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Felix Magath laughs off Penfold lookalike claims and insists he will keep Cottagers up

"I don't have the ­impression that I am being mocked here," he said. "I am very happy in England, the people have shown me a lot of respect."

Mike Hewitt
Safety: Magath is confident he can keep Fulham in the Premier League

Felix Magath needed that famous German sense of humour when he landed at Fulham to trite comparisons with Danger Mouse's cartoon sidekick Penfold.

What a shallow welcome to our first visitor from the Fatherland to manage in the Premier League. We sent them Steve McClaren and they sent us a two-time World Cup finalist, yet this is how we repay them?

Happily, Magath did not take offence. "I don't have the ­impression that I am being mocked here," said Magath. "I am very happy in England, the people have shown me a lot of respect."

Nobody will be mocking him if he keeps Fulham in the Premier League. They are effectively five points from safety, because of their awful goal difference, with just seven games left.

After Martin Jol and Rene Meulensteen, owner Shahid Khan has swapped double Dutch for a single Deutsch. Can he pull off a Great Escape at Craven Cottage?

"I have played at the World Cup final, I have scored the winner for Hamburg in a European Cup final (in 1983, the only season in an eight-year period from 1977 when the trophy was not lifted by an English club) and I have helped to save clubs from relegation in the ­Bundesliga," he said.

"But if Fulham stay up, it would be one of my best achievements. We are in a very difficult situation, bottom of the league, and when I came in there was no time to buy new players – I have had to work with the players who were here already.

"The job has been tougher than I imagined, but I don't care – I like to work for things that seem ­impossible. We have four home games left, starting with Everton on Sunday, and we must look to win them all.

"I am convinced we will stay in the Premier League, but you never know for sure."

Jamie McDonald
Down? Fulham remain stranded at the foot of the Premier League despite Magath's arrival

As a player, Magath, now 60, was the embodiment of Teutonic efficiency and for three years at Hamburg, he was a team-mate of Kevin Keegan (whose nickname in Germany was Danger Mouse's long-lost brother, Mighty Mouse).

But, as a coach, he arrived in London damned with faint praise as a ­disciplinarian whose methods laid a heavy emphasis on fitness and endurance.

His reputation for driving squads to the brink of collapse once earned him a glowing tribute from an Eintracht Frankfurt player, Bachirou Salou, as "the last dictator in Europe".

In truth, his rescue mission at Fulham has been nearer boot room attention to detail than boot camp exhaustion. He has also administered repeat therapy of positive thinking, instilling belief that an ageing squad can defy the odds.

He said: "The team was not confident at the ­beginning of my time here. But this is a good club with a lot of potential. Don't ask me where it will leave our season if Everton beat us – this is probably the hardest of our remaining home games, but I don't think Everton will win."

To relax, away from the pressure of a relegation battle, Magath still cycles to work on a Boris bike and enjoys the capital's ­metropolitan lifestyle.

"I eat well, drink no alcohol and I go through London with the bike – that's fine.

"Last year, we were here with the family and we saw a lot of interesting places, including ­Westminster and the Tower of London – my children really wanted to go there and they liked it."

We can only wonder if anyone told Magath about the legends of the Tower – the executions, the Crown Jewels and the ravens who will flee if £12million Greek misfit Kostas Mitroglou ever scores for Fulham.

He might need that renowned German sense of humour again to see the funny side of that enigma.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-boss-felix-magath-laughs-3297706#ixzz2xQcxurcM
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham v Everton Preview

Everton head to Craven Cottage this Sunday on the back of a thumping win against Newcastle United in mid-week.

The Toffees' win at St James' Park ended a run of four away defeats and was the first win on the road since December for Roberto Martinez's side.

Another win for Everton this weekend will further put a stamp on Everton's claim of a European spot come the end of the season. Even more so if Liverpool brush off Tottenham in the other game being played on Sunday afternoon as this will widen the gap between us and Spurs.

Should Arsenal come unstuck against in-form Manchester City on Saturday and Everton beat Fulham then that would move Martinez's men within 3 points of Arsenal who are in 4th place in the Premier League.

Fulham are holding the league up with just 24 points to show after 30 games played. Felix Magath's side know they must come away with a win to keep any chance of staying up this season. Having only beaten the Blues just once in five Premier League years things are certainly looking gloomy for Fulham especially as Everton are notching up the points and goals lately.

Fulham will be hoping to have back to back home wins at Craven Cottage for the first time this season after defeating Newcastle earlier this month. That win against the Magpies was only their second in 2014 and the Cottagers will enter this fixture off the back of a 5-0 mauling against Manchester City last Saturday.

Everton Last Six Played: WWWWLL

Fulham Last Six Played: LWLLDL

Everton Team News:

Club captain Phil Jagielka could return for this weekend's fixture having been left out against Newcastle mid-week.

Steven Pienaar remains sidelined with a knee problem.

Fulham Team News:

Fulham will be without Venezuelan defender Fernando Amorebieta who is suspended after his red card at the Etihad last weekend.

Ashkan Dejagah returns to the Fulham squad to face Everton but Scott Parker and Kostas Mitroglou remain sidelined.

Stats:

Everton have won four Premier League games in a row for the first time since March 2008.

Fulham have only won one of their last 11 league matches.

Only Chelsea (four) have lost fewer games than Everton this season (five).

Fulham's 1-0 victory over Newcastle in their last home fixture was only their fourth clean sheet of the season.

Everton's 3-0 midweek win at Newcastle was their first in six away fixtures (D2, L3). They scored more goals against the Magpies than they managed in those five previous matches (two).

Only Sunderland (12 points) have a worse home record than Fulham  this season (13 points).

Ross Barkley has scored in consecutive Premier League games for the first time.

Fulham have conceded the first goal in a league-high 22 of their 31 matches this season.

Gerard Deulofeu has two goals and three assists from his five Premier League starts – one of which came in the reverse fixture in December.

Connections:

Officials:

Referee: Anthony Taylor; Assistants: A Garratt, M Wilkes; Fourth Official: K Friend.

Greg Brennan>

http://efcfeelinblue.com/fulham-v-everton-preview-2/

WhiteJC

McCormack Linked to Fulham Move!

With the financial situation at Leeds United giving cause for concern, the grapevine infers that their star forward, Ross McCormack, may well be the first player to be moved on to raise funds.

To that extent the grapevine is naming Fulham Football Club as a possible destination for the striker with two other London clubs also being mentioned in the shape of Crystal Palace and Queens Park Rangers.

It remains to be seen if there is any substance in the rumour, but we`ll endeavour to keep you informed.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=354482#ixzz2xQe5kZmO

WhiteJC

Premier League: Everton boss Roberto Martinez backs counterpart Felix Magath

Everton boss Roberto Martinez believes Felix Magath is revolutionising Fulham in double quick time.

Magath took control of the Cottagers in mid-February and although he has taken only four points from his five games, Martinez believes the German will relish the pressure.

Speaking ahead of the meeting at Craven Cottage, Martinez said of the situation at Fulham: "It wasn't a change of manager just to see a different direction at the club, it was clear he was taking a football challenge of trying to get a big points average in a short period of time to try to stay in the Premier League.

"When you have 25 games to go in a season it becomes very difficult because there is so much talk about what could happen and what direction you can go.

"Everyone has an opinion and it can affect the team but when it is a short period of time it is very straightforward.

"It is a narrow approach and all you need to do is try to get as many points as you can and try to carry momentum from game to game.

"You don't even think about what may happen in the summer, what will happen to players' contracts.

"It is 10 or 11 finals that you try to prepare for in the best possible way and try to make difficult for the opposition.

"It is clear Felix Magath has the experience to provide a very difficult game in every game he puts his Fulham side out in.

"He is clear in the way he gets his teams set up and I think since he has been at Fulham they have been unfortunate in a couple of games and in the same manner he has been finding out a lot about his new players.

"I do feel this Fulham side is a completely different one to the one that came to Goodison Park."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9238232?

WhiteJC

Everton the last guests Fulham could wish for at the Cottage
Everton are unbeaten in eight Premier League games against Fulham, winning six

Table-propping Fulham are running out of opportunities to dig themselves out of trouble. Unluckily for them, it's Champions League-chasing Everton who pay them a visit to Craven Cottage next, bang in form and with an excellent Premier League record against the Londoners.

Only the trio of teams vying for the title can claim to be in better form than Everton at present, as the Toffees have just claimed all 12 of the last dozen points available.

This is in stark contrast to hosts Fulham, who have lost three of their last four and have only one victory to show for their last 11 Premier League outings.

Using the formbook as guidance alone, the 3/4 on an Everton win over Fulham for this televised clash looks nice and chunky.

But when you consider Everton have never suffered defeat to Fulham in the Premier League, winning six out of the eight clashes as well, their odds look all the more generous.

With Arsenal continuing to offer the Toffees incentive that the top four is still well within reach, expect Roberto Martinez's side to go after this floundering Fulham outfit and to overpower them.

Everton have too much attacking talent for the hosts to cope with, which was evident in their 4-1 demolition of Fulham at Goodison Park in the reverse fixture.

The Merseysiders scoring another 2/3 goals here – as have all the other top six have when visiting the banks of the Thames – looks a steal at 6/5.

Having bagged himself four goals in his last five appearances, Romelu Lukaku, is bound to offer punters the greatest chance of finding the net and the big Belgian can be backed at 4/1 to score first and 11/10 to notch any time.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/everton-guests-fulham-cottage_192149.html

WhiteJC

Reither vs Deulofeu: Why This Wing War Will Decide Fulham vs Everton

Fulham's hopes of survival could look increasingly bleak following Everton's visit this weekend should the Craven Cottage club fail to pick up three points.

Felix Magath's men sit bottom of the Premier League and four points from safety, while the Toffees, who have a game in hand on fourth-placed Arsenal, continue to harbour some hopes of attaining Champions League football in Roberto Martinez's first term as manager.

It is a crucial game for both sides as the end of the season draws ever closer and, consequently, it is sure to be an intriguing affair. As Martinez looks to achieve a fifth straight league victory and Magath hopes to give Fulham just their eighth of the entire season, there are sure to be a number of heated battles on show at Craven Cottage.

Here are three that could be key to which way the game goes.

Johnny Heitinga vs Romelu Lukaku
Jonny Heitinga faces the club he left in January, in hope of tasting victory with Fulham for just the second time since his transfer.

With Fernando Amorebieta suspended, it is likely that Heitinga will shift in from the right to partner Brede Hangeland in central defence, where he will have to attempt to prevent on-loan Everton striker Romelu Lukaku from threatening David Stockdale.

This constitutes a daunting task for even the Premier League's strongest defenders when the Belgian man in on form and could ultimately represent an extremely torrid afternoon for Heitinga.

During his seven appearances so far for the Cottagers, the Dutchman has won just 42% of his tackles and against genuine top quality opponents in Manchester City last weekend, Heitinga failed to complete a single one of the three attempted challenges, as well as having been beaten in the single headed duel he went up for.

Lukaku, on the other hand, has been a strong part of an excellent Everton side this season, having bagged 12 times to make him the Toffees' top scorer. This goalscoring nous, coupled with an ability on the ball which has seen him create 23 chances, could make Sunday afternoon a forgettable one for Heitinga.

Kieran Richardson vs Seamus Coleman
Seamus Coleman has been, undoubtedly, one of Everton's best players this season. The Irishman has made a name for himself as one of the Premier League's most exciting right-backs and, on Sunday, is likely to face up against Fulham's Kieran Richardson.

The Cottagers' left-winger is reliable in both attack and defence and could provide Coleman with a stern challenge if the Everton man is not switched on.

Richardson has completed 58% of his attempted take-ons this season, meaning that his attempts to beat Coleman, who has a 63% tackle success rate, could make for a captivating battle.

However, with just 19 take-on attempts, Richardson's efforts to beat his opponent may prove too infrequent to pose Coleman any real threat in attack, as evidenced by the meagre 14 chances Richardson has created.

On the other hand, the Irish Evertonian could be a serious threat to Richardson when the Toffees are in possession. He has scored six times this season, has created 33 chances and completed 49 take-ons with a success rate of 58%. This stands opposed by Richardson's 59% tackle completion rate, suggesting that Coleman's attacking surges could be met by an interesting challenge this Sunday, even if he is not overly threatened when defending.

Sascha Riether vs Gerard Deulofeu
As previously mentioned, Fernando Amorebieta will miss the game through suspension following his red card against Manchester City last week. Consequently, it is likely Sascha Riether will regain his right-back place as Jonny Heitinga returns to centre-back in place of the Venezuelan.

He will likely attempt to shackle the exciting Barcelona loanee Gerard Deulofeu on Everton's left-wing, a man who has been trusted with an increasing amount of game-time by Martinez in recent weeks.

It is not difficult to see why; the 20-year-old has proved himself to be a dangerous player with the ball at his feet, willingly running at opponents and often finding success with his excellent turn of pace. While his take-on success rate of 43% is not the most impressive in the Premier League, Deulofeu is undoubtedly a threatening player and has scored three times this season.

Riether, on the other hand, has not enjoyed the greatest of campaigns, a fact highlighted by his miserly Performance Score of -37. While he has completed 54% of his tackles, the German has also made three defensive errors, and it could be that he adds a fourth to this tally on Sunday as Deulofeu's persistent trickery sows confusion amongst the Fulham defence.

It will certainly be interesting to see whether the Cottagers man is able to cope with the latest player to emerge from the famed La Masia academy, who attempted 12 take-ons last weekend against Newcastle – the perpetual threat he poses could be extremely damaging to Fulham.

http://www.squawka.com/news/2014/03/29/three-key-battles-fulham-vs-everton/2014032989280?

WhiteJC

Craven Corner: Crystal Palace beating Chelsea makes Everton a must-win

Our Fulham blogger looks ahead to Sunday's game with Everton

Crystal Palace picking up three points against Chelsea has really added the pressure on the game on Sunday against Everton - it's do or die for Fulham tomorrow.

This won't be an easy task with Everton being one of the team's of the season this year, which has been helped by the emergence of future superstar - Ross Barkley.

This midfield talent is the one I fear the most with the game tomorrow. A player who wants to prove himself to Roy Hodgson is full of energy and getting the ball forward asap, which is a problem for our Titanic turning central defenders.

Brede Hangeland hasn't been the same since his injury this season and I don't think Felix Magath believes in Dan Burn as the young man has been left out of his starting eleven.

Johnny Heitinga has everything to prove tomorrow with him playing against his former club but I do expect Sascha Riether to start at right back due to Fernando Amorebieta's ban, forcing Heitinga to partner to Hangeland in the middle.

We do have some injury concerns for the game with Dan Burn, Matthew Briggs, Damien Duff & Scott Parker all on the injury table, with Kostas Mitroglou expected to be back next week.

Everton are in form and will look to build on last weeks impressive display away to Newcastle, but Felix's Fulham must look back to an earlier fixture this season where we beat them 2-1 in the Capital One Cup under Martin Jol.

I think we can get the result tomorrow, but we have to give it everything. Everton will look to turn the defence and break in behind with pace, so David Stockdale will be playing as a sweeper keeper to help deal with those attacks.

But there was some good news this week, with Mahamadou Diarra re-signing for the club until the end of the season. This is perfect timing, we need a midfielder like Diarra, who can do all the defensive duties but he also loves to turn Defence into an attack with some direct play.

We do have a similar player in Giorgios Karagounis but the Greek has been missing recently. I believe re-signing Diarra could be the turning point this season, and I expect to see a midfield three tomorrow with Diarra, William Kvist & Steven Sidwell.

I think this would allow Fulham to win the midfield battle but also have the ability to create an attack and switch it to the attackers very quickly.

This does mean that I think Lewis Holtby will be on the subs bench from the start tomorrow or forced to play out-wide, where he is wasted but I think he will play in a front three.

I also expect young Cauley Woodrow to retain his place in the starting eleven with Mitroglou's absence, and Darren Bent seemingly out of the picture.

My Predicted Team:

GK: David Stockdale

RB: Sascha Riether

LCB: Brede Hangeland

RCB: Johnny Heitinga

LB: Kieran Richardson

CDM: William Kvist

CM: Steven Sidwell

CM: Mahamadou Diarra

LW: Ashkan Dejagah (Back from injury)

ST: Cauley Woodrow

RW: Lewis Holtby (Looking to cut inside on to his left foot.

As an aside, it's good to see that Jack Grimmer has been re-called from his loan spell at Port Vale and I expect he will be amongst the subs tomorrow with a chance of playing in the first team towards the season end.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/craven_corner_crystal_palace_beating_chelsea_makes_everton_a_must_win_1_3502080

WhiteJC

Relegation-threatened Fulham's Steve Sidwell refusing to contemplate drop out of top flight

It's not just about the badge on his chest but the Premier League crest on his sleeve for midfielder born up the road from Cottagers' training ground

Stu Forster
Bad taste in the mouth: Sidwell has played in the Championship and doesn't want to go back

When Steve Sidwell delivered a rousing speech in a team meeting, the full scale of Fulham's predicament hit home, writes Dean Jones in the Sunday People.

With the west Londoners sitting bottom of the league table, Sidwell made it clear to team-mates they were no longer just fighting for the badge on their chest but also the Premier League one on their sleeve.

He made the statement earlier this month and it has stuck in the mind of every squad member as they fight for survival.

Fulham have seven games left to retain their top-flight status and there is no doubt that every match is now a cup final.

For Sidwell, the situation is even more serious. His contract expires at the end of this season and although he wants to stay at the club he is not yet close to an agreement.

Sidwell, 31, said: "I can't contemplate life outside the Premier League.

"I started my career at Arsenal then took a few steps down the ladder to come back up. I played in the Championship for many years and know it is a tough, tough league to get out of. We don't want to be in that situation.

"I said in a meeting to the lads: 'It is not just about the Fulham badge any more, it is about the badge on the sleeve. It is not just you that wears it but other people who take pride in it'.

"Whether that be our kids at school, our parents or grandparents ... they all have association with that badge as much as we do. Everyone needs to take that on board and keep that badge on there for next year.

"There is no progress with my contract at the moment, which makes it even harder. I am ­obviously giving my all and hopefully showing the club what I am worth. I love it here. I was born not far from the training ground and all my family are around the area.

"When we finish playing football, the foreign lads can go back to their own countries but I will always be based around here. So if we go down it will always be me associated with it."

Midfielder Sidwell lives close to ­goalkeeper David Stockdale, so the pair travel to work together each day. Yet football has not often been a subject they are too keen to discuss.

Fulham's record of 21 defeats from 31 games – with 70 goals conceded – is the type of conversation likely to lead to road rage.

But it is men like Sidwell that could yet steer Fulham to survival against all odds.

When the club produced a Great Escape in 2008 it was largely the form of midfielders Jimmy Bullard and Danny Murphy that helped them survive.

Fulham managed to produce four unlikely wins from their final five games, culminating in a 1-0 victory at Portsmouth that kept them up.

Sidwell points to those statistics as reason to believe Fulham can get out of their current mess.

He explained: "It's in our own hands. I am aware of what happened with the Great Escape season and Murphy scoring in that last game at Portsmouth. You realise there is a chance to become a hero.

"I will give it my all and if I am instrumental in keeping us up then that's great."

Felix Magath is Fulham's third manager of the season – a fact that has certainly not helped their campaign.

The German boss has a reputation as a bit of a dictator, yet Sidwell has no complaints.

Jamie McDonald
Herr-dryer: Notorious Magath has been tough but fair claims Sidwell

The former Reading, Chelsea and Aston Villa man added: "The managerial situation has been tough, but it is all an excuse really. We are to blame for not progressing our work from the training ground onto a match day.

"Training under this manager has been tough – but it can be tougher. I'd say he is hard but fair. I am not one to slack off, I have never been like that. I am not going to start now."

Sidwell has been in sweet form despite Fulham's tricky situation. He is even the club's top scorer, having netted six times in the league.

As Fulham prepare to host top-four chasing Everton on Sunday though, he reveals an extra motivation for craving end of season success.

Sidwell said: "I gave up chocolate for lent ... it's been really tough. I have got three kids so with that sweet drawer in the fridge looking at me, it's not been easy.

"But I tell everyone that if I can do this then we are going to stay up – and I have stuck to it!''

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/relegation-threatened-fulhams-steve-sidwell-refusing-3300777#ixzz2xQgZqBtT
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Win or bust for Whites

Allsport
Kostas Mitroglou has more important things to worry about than helping Fulham avoid the drop.

We might as well call for the priest on Sunday if Fulham fail to put away Everton in the day's early kick-off. With the advantage of 24 hours extra preparation for this televised encounter, results from Saturday mean the Whites know they can climb two places off the bottom by winning. That would certainly send a shiver through the teams above us, and with our run-in a scenario where Cardiff, Sunderland and WBA end the season as the relegated three becomes a genuine possibility.

Plus the fillip of a second successive home win would do wonders for team morale ahead of next Saturday's crunch visit to Aston Villa. Felix Magath's bottom feeders are going to have to find a win somewhere along the road, and trips to Stoke and Spurs hardly inspire me with enthusiasm. But all of that will surely be academic with anything less than a win over Everton. Fail here and it's time to administer the last rites and start planning for life in the Championship.

Behind the scenes, the club are already adjusting to the grim reality of the drop. All contract negotiations went on hold this week until our fate is resolved. Another weekend and another no show from the club's record signing Kostas Mitroglou will reinforce the view that we are unlikely to see the Greek marksman make any contribution at all to the relegation fight. Rumours are circulating our striker needs a knee operation, with his priority now making it back in time for the World Cup.

Should this be the case, the club have dropped a massive clanger with the chairman's money and I expect heads to roll in the summer. Fulham are effectively attempting the near-impossible in the survival stakes with no recognised striker in the side. This is akin to putting a high school kid with elementary maths in charge of a space shuttle.

In a pitiful season where Dimitar Berbatov, Bryan Ruiz, Hugo Rodallega, Darren Bent and even Clint Dempsey have come across as wheezing old geriatrics too slow even for a game of dominoes, it beggars belief to see the club's fortunes riding on the slender shoulders of 19-year-old Cauley Woodrow. Scan the Cottage pitch Sunday to Everton's striker Romalu Lukaku and shudder -- a player in successive windows plucked from under Fulham's nose.

Roberto Martinez is having a fine first season at Goodison while David Moyes is being kept awake at night by low flying aircraft. They've not missed Marouane Fellaini in the least and arrive in London after four straight wins. If they are on their game, as they were against Newcastle last time out, it's curtains for the Cottagers.

The one bright spot is the absence of Steven Pienaar. Fulham are still missing Scott Parker but see Ashkan Dejagah restored to full fitness. As to what starting eleven Felix Magath goes with, that's impossible to guess.

It's just possible Fulham may replicate their success over Everton in the League Cup last September. My, but that seems a long time ago now. I was behind the goal that night as Dimi and Darren fired the second-half goals that secured our come-from-behind win -- thinking this was the start of a great goal-scoring partnership. How wrong could I be.

Everton have had the whip hand over us in recent seasons. They get the ball from back to front at speed, have excellent wing-backs and play to a tempo Fulham cannot match. Fielding the leakiest defence in the league, Fulham supporters must pray for a miracle. Well, we've been here before in our history, so while things remain in the balance. COYW!

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/2026?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Everton Chasing Champions League Carrot As Fulham Seek Unlikely Escape

FULHAM v EVERTON v 13:30; Craven Cottage (Sunday)

Every match is a must-win for bottom-of-the-table Fulham if they are to somehow avoid the drop, and as they've won only once in 11 games, it looks like they're as good as down. The 5-0 defeat at Manchester City last Saturday has surely knocked the confidence taken from the previous weekend's win over Newcastle, and they boast only two wins this season against top half sides.

Defender Fernando Amorebieta serves a one-match ban after being sent off last week at City. Scott Parker and Kostas Mitroglou remain out injured.

Everton followed up a dramatic late win over Southampton last Saturday with a much more convincing 3-0 success at Newcastle on Tuesday night, their fourth victory in a row. The Toffees actually have a good chance of taking fourth place ahead of Arsenal the way the results have gone for them in the past week.

Champions League qualification in his first season as manager would be beyond the wildest dreams of Roberto Martinez, but Everton do look to have on paper a slightly more negotiable fixture list to the end of the season than current fourth-placed side Arsenal. Martinez has been boosted this week by the return to fitness of captain Phil Jagielka from a hamstring injury, and he should take the place of John Stones in central defence.

What to watch out for: Everton have lost none of their last eight league meetings with Fulham, but the Cottagers did win here 2-1 earlier in the season in the League Cup. Everton also rarely win in London, with only one win in their last eight, so a draw looks likeliest.

Possible line-ups:

Fulham – Stockdale; Riether, Hangeland, Heitinga, Richardson, Dejagah, Sidwell, Holtby, Diarra, Kacaniklic, Woodrow

Everton– Howard; Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Barry, McCarthy, Mirallas, Barkley, McGeady, Lukaku

Recent form: Fulham – LDLLWL; Everton – LLWWWW

Prediction: 2-2

http://www.footymatters.com/articles/english-football/premier-league/premier-league-preview/everton-chasing-champions-league-carrot-as-fulham-seek-unlikely-escape/?

WhiteJC

A Big Belief

Sascha Riether turned 31 last Sunday – but there wasn't too much to celebrate in the German's household following the 5-0 loss at Manchester City the previous day.

"After such a result against Man City, there wasn't such a big party," explained Riether. "We don't have much to celebrate at the moment so we just need to work hard in training and focus on the next match – that's the most important thing."

Fulham, who lost Fernando Amorebieta to a red card with the score at 1-0, went down to the heavy defeat at the Etihad Stadium to leave the Whites bottom of the table and four points adrift of satety.

But, with seven games remaining and 21 points to play for, Riether insists all is not lost, saying: "There's a big belief. We have many teams to play that are around us in the table and we're only four points away from safety which isn't a lot. If you win twice in a row – look at West Ham United – anything is possible."

Four of Fulham's remaining games are at Craven Cottage, starting with high-flying Everton on Sunday (1.30pm).

Asked how many victories he felt Fulham needed to survive, Riether replied: "I'm not someone who says 'we need three wins or four wins', for us it's important we win on Sunday. The next game is always the moist important one. It will be a difficult one; Everton want to play in the Champions League next season."

Riether is now in his third spell under Felix Magath following two stints with his countryman at Wolfsburg.

And Riether feels the Fulham squad have bought into Magath's way of thinking, stating: "The Manager wants a good defensive shape. Out of this shape he wants to play offensive football. For him, it's important you don't concede first and for us we've conceded too many goals this season.

"He's strict and disciplined. He can be loud. If he says something, you know what to do! But every manager has his own style and his is to work hard, but he was successful with this style.

"Sometimes you think he isn't watching but he sees everything – it's unbelievable. He wants everyone to give 100 per cent in every training session and every game. Every player understands what he wants and, in our situation, only 100 per cent will do.

"Names aren't important to him, what is important is everyone gives their best. For me, that's a good attitude."

It was in Magath's second spell at Wolfsburg that he steered the club to safety on the final day after returning to the club late in the season.

"In the last game we played Hannover and we needed to win," recalled Riether, who has suffered relegation with Freiburg and Cologne during his career. "At half-time, Frankfurt were winning in Dortmund and we were [technically] relegated. Felix said we have to win the second 45 minutes and we did."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/30/a-big-belief?

WhiteJC

Fight For The Badge

Steve Sidwell admitted that while it's disheartening to see Fulham sit at the foot of the Barclays Premier League table, he remains adamant that the Club are capable of preserving their top-flight status.

The Whites have seven games left to maintain their spot in England's top tier, which has been intact for 13 years, and our 'special one Iniesta' insisted his team will fight until the death.

"It's been tough," he admitted. "Being mainly down the bottom of the league throughout the season hasn't been pleasant on the eye but with a few games to go we're still in with a chance of getting out of it, which is the main thing.

"Things are really serious now and, as we've said, every game has been a cup final for the past dozen or so games, but now it's really getting to the time where we need to pick up points. We've still got a chance to do it and we'll go until the very end.

"No team wants to be down there and when you physically see yourself in the bottom three on the Monday after the weekend's game, it's not great. But to see yourself bottom, with points adrift as well, and our goal difference, it's making it an even harder task."

On the occasions when Brede Hangeland and Scott Parker have been absent from the side, Sidwell has been handed the captain's armband this season. He's clearly got leadership qualities in abundance, as he demonstrated recently.

He revealed: "In a meeting that we had the other day I said to the lads, 'look, it's not necessarily just about the Fulham badge you're wearing, it's the badge on the sleeve. It's a Premier League badge and it's not just you that wears it, it's your whole family that takes pride in that. Whether that's your kids that go to school, parents or your grandparents, they're all associated with you wearing that badge and they wear it with pride just as much as you.' So we need to take that on board and keep that badge on for next year."

Sidwell's performances this term have been a rare bright spark for Fulham, with his tireless displays in the middle of the park complemented by seven goals. Should the Whites achieve their target of avoiding relegation, he'll clearly have been an instrumental factor.

"Obviously you need all hands on deck when you're in this situation," he said. "When you're down the bottom you need everyone to be giving 110 per cent.

"That's the player I am and obviously fans relate to that, but I've done that throughout my career and it might have gone more unnoticed in previous years because we've done better. I'm not going to turn off now. We've all got to pull in the same direction and that starts on Sunday."

Earlier in his career, Sidwell spent four years in the Championship with Brighton & Hove Albion and Reading. It's not a division he's keen to return to.

When asked if he could even contemplate life outside the Premier League, he stated: "No. I started at Arsenal and came out of that bubble and took a few steps down the ladder to come back up, and it's been hard work.

"I played in the Championship for many years and it's a tough, tough league to get out of and to do it is one thing, and to stay out of it is another. But we don't want to be in that situation next year, that's for sure.

"You realise how much it means to fans out there. They pay their hard-earned money, they go to work and they have that release and watch their beloved Fulham in the Premier League, and you don't want to let that slip, so I'll be giving it my all."

Everton are the visitors to Craven Cottage on Sunday (1.30pm), but while Sidwell acknowledges Roberto Martinez's side present a stern test, he knows that the Whites are capable of fighting their way to three points.

"We played them up there and came away with a 4-1 defeat which didn't reflect the game at all," he said. "We need to replicate the application that we put into that, especially second half when we really took the game to them and had them on the back foot.

"We need to do that from the off, we need to score goals, we need to be more solid in defence. If we can do that and give ourselves a platform to build on then hopefully it can kickstart us.

"I feel pressure, I feel pressure every game, I'm not going to lie. Some games you do get nervous because you need to get the three points. Sometimes when games come up now a point isn't even good enough.

"We've got the points there to play for and the games that we've got coming up are against teams that are going to be in and around us. We've got a chance, that's the main thing, and that's all you can ask for."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/30/fight-for-the-badge?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath impressed by Fulham teenager Patrick Roberts

Fulham manager Felix Magath has tipped teenage attacking midfielder Patrick Roberts to play a big role in the club's future.

The 17-year-old, who signed his first professional contract with the Cottagers earlier this year, made his senior debut as a substitute in last weekend's 5-0 defeat at Manchester City.

"We have a very good youth academy here at Fulham so it is the right way to bring the young players into the Premier League," Magath told the club's official website.

"Pat is a very big talent and he will have a great career in front of him, so I think it is good for him to make the experience now in the Premier League, so he will get used to it.

"He will be a player that we need in the future."

Roberts has reportedly been watched by La Liga duo Real Madrid and Barcelona.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/magath-impressed-by-teenage-roberts_147168.html