more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (31/03/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 30, 2014, 09:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-3 Everton: Felix Magath says side did not concentrate on defending

Fulham manager Felix Magath says he thinks his side lacked concentration when defending in their 3-1 defeat at home to Everton.

Ashkan Dejagah did cancel out David Stockdale's own goal to level at 1-1 but further strikes from Kevin Mirallas and Steven Naismith left Fulham five points adrift of safety.

Magath insists that his side "are not relegated" despite sitting bottom of the table with only six games left to play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26811196

WhiteJC

Watch As Partially Blind Fulham Fan Offers Linesman His Stick After Wrong Offside Call

This Fulham fan obviously has a good sense of humour.

He appears to be partially blind but, after linesman Andy Garratt makes the wrong offside call during Everton's 3-1 win at Craven Cottage, sarcastically offers his walking stick to the official:

Garratt obviously doesn't take him up on the offer but at least he sees the funny side of it.

http://talkingbaws.com/2014/03/30/gif-watch-as-partially-blind-fulham-fan-offers-linesman-his-stick-after-wrong-offside-call/?

WhiteJC

Fulham & Hearts fans battle it out for the crappiest banner of the day on Sunday [Pictures]

Two terrifically crappy banners were spotted in England and Scotland on Sunday.

South of the border, one Fulham fan was spotted holding a banner for home midfielder Ashkan Dejagah. The banner showed zero creative artistry as it simply had the surname of the Iranian player written on a simple piece of white paper.

Up in Scotland a second crappy banners was spotted at Edinburgh derby as Hearts beat Hibs 2-0.

This time written on brown cardboard, the sad sign read "C'mon the Hearts!" is scrawly handwriting, however it arguably had at least had a creative edge with the Hearts symbol stuck on the placard.

See the sad banners from Fulham and Hearts fans below.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/fulham-hearts-fans-battle-it-out-for-the-crappiest-banner-of-the-day-on-sunday-pictures/?

WhiteJC

Magath takes positives from Everton loss and reveals why Bent didn't come on

Fulham manager Felix Magath believes that his side's performance against Everton has given him the faith that the Whites can still stay up.

The west Londoners dominated the first half and their inability to take chances cost them dearly.

A comical own goal from David Stockdale gave the Toffees the lead before Ashkan Dejagah's wonderful equaliser.

But Everton showed why they are challenging for the top four in the final 10 minutes as Kevin Mirallas and Steven Naismith gave the scoreline a more comfortable feel than it really was.

Magath said: "I know that we can still make it because today Everton was one of the best teams at the moment and Everton could maybe take fourth place in the league.

"It was a game today where was no team that should be relegated. We played better than a relegated team. If we have done it today, we can do it next week."

He added: "It was a very important game today.

"Unfortunately we lost this important game and the result is very disappointing but if you have seen the game and saw how we played it gives you another view.

"I think it was our best game until now. Unfortunately it wasn't enough.

"It was a defeat but we played out best game and so the players are very disappointed until now. We will see what happens."

Surprisingly, Magath opted to start young forward Moussa Dembele and brought on Cauley Woodrow and Patrick Roberts over the experienced Darren Bent.

And the German explained why the Aston Villa loanee stayed put on the bench.

"We have other good strikers," he said. "Darren had a problem on Thursday and he left the training session.

"I think it was better to put the players who are really fit."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/magath_takes_positives_from_everton_loss_and_reveals_why_bent_didn_t_come_on_1_3505771

WhiteJC

Premier League: Felix Magath taking positives from Fulham's defeat to Everton

Felix Magath believes there are positives to be taken from Fulham's defeat to Everton as they battle to beat the drop.

A 3-1 reversal on home soil means the Cottagers remain rooted to the foot of the Premier League table, five points adrift of safety.

They have collected just two wins in 2014 and are running out of time in their efforts to preserve their top flight status.

Magath, drafted in to oversee a successful survival scramble, is of the opinion, though, that a much-improved performance against Everton bodes well heading into their final six fixtures.

He told Sky Sports: "We put in a good performance today, we have created a lot of chances and unfortunately we didn't make the goals.

"First half we had some chances to score, but after the equaliser also - two, three chances to score. If you don't score, it happens all the time that you then concede a goal.

"We are all very disappointed with how it is going on. But I think if we go on and play as good as we did today, we will see.

"We have played a game today against a very good team and Everton was going on to go forward in the table and maybe fight for fourth place, so it was a good game.

"I think that if we can take this performance with us and we go on, we will make it good."

Fulham saw Ashkan Dejagah cancel out a David Stockdale own goal at Craven Cottage on Sunday to offer them hope of collecting a positive result, but Everton rallied and created opportunities for substitutes Kevin Mirallas and Steven Naismith to wrap up a fifth successive win.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9240997?

WhiteJC

'I'm not planning for the Championship' - Felix Magath takes heart from Fulham defeat

Fulham manager Felix Magath believes Fulham can stave off the threat of relegation despite a 3-1 defeat at home to Everton on Sunday.

The Cottagers remain rooted to the foot of the table, five points adrift of safety and with just six games to secure a 14th successive season in the top flight.

But Magath took enough positives from the performance against Everton to justify his conviction they will escape relegation.

"It was a very important game and it's very disappointing that we lost," Magath said.

"But if you see how we played, it gives you another view. It was our best game. We created a lot of chances, but we didn't score enough goals.

"I'm not planning for the Championship now, we will try again next weekend.

"I know that we can still make it because Everton are one of the best teams at the moment but we didn't play like a relegated team against them."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/im-not-planning-for-the-championship--felix-magath-takes-heart-from-fulham-defeat-9224543.html

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Felix Magath still believes they can beat the drop despite loss to Everton

Two late goals seal it for the visitors but Cottagers' manager remains positive and praises his men as they "did not play like a relegated team"

Shaun Botterill
'You sure about that, Boss?' Holtby and Hangeland don't seem to share Magath's optimism

A home defeat by Everton has left Fulham five points from safety with just six games left, but Craven Cottage boss Felix Magath remains convinced he can save his side from the drop.

The Cottagers battled gamely and levelled through Ashkan Dejegah after the Toffees went ahead via David Stockdale's own goal, but late strikes from Kevin Mirallas and Steven Naismith gave the visitors a victory which deepens Fulham's relegation worries. 

Yet Magath refused to write off his side's hopes and praised them for a brave effort which saw them push the in-form Merseysiders all the way.

"I still believe we can stay up," he said.

"I'm disappointed but we will go on and we will try next week again. I know that we can still make it because Everton is one of the best teams at the moment. Everton will maybe go on to take the fourth place in the league.

"It was a very important game and unfortunately we lost this important game.

"The result is very disappointing but if you have seen the game, you saw how well we played. I think it was our best game until now.

"We equalised in the second half and we wanted to win. Sure you can play more defence but if you want a win and you need a win, then you need to take risks. We took risks and we went forward and we created chances, but you have to score.

"For me, it as a game where there was no team that should be relegated because we played better than a relegated team, so if we have done it today, we can do it next week again."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-boss-felix-magath-still-3302840#ixzz2xTkac9uh
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham Hinting At A Healthier Tomorrow

Fulham lost again today, and once more surrendered cheap goals after squandering several guilt-edged opportunities. Within the context of this Premier League season the defeat to Everton was a devastating blow, but don't let those short-term realities obscure the green shoots of recovery.

Felix Magath confirmed post-game today that he would be staying at Craven Cottage irrespective of the club's fate this season, and that's hugely positive given the impression the German has clearly already had at the club.

Fulham may have lost, and they may have been undone by familiar failings this afternoon, but for the most part they were extremely competitive and, until David Stockdale's unfortunate own-goal, resilient. It may be a meaningless 'what if', but had either Moussa Dembele or Kieran Richardson taken one of their first-half chances, Fulham could well have won the game.

The club's predicament this season isn't really just about the last twelve months.  The cultivation of a retirement-home attitude at Craven Cottage is largely responsible for the current situation, and this just happens to be the season during which the flaws to that approach were exposed. The collective attitude has been too corrosive for too long, and the laissez-faire mentality which has characterised this side for the past two or three years has ultimately been their undoing.

But something's changing under Magath.

Where once the Fulham team was populated with players who had already earned their reputations in the game, now the supporters are starting to see younger faces and teenagers who are bubbling with enthusiasm. Cauley Woodrow, Moussa Dembele, and Patrick Roberts may not be developed enough to save the club from the Championship, but they represent a shift away from the old Fulham model of assembling a side purely for the here and now. Not only are there exciting academy graduates at Craven Cottage, but there's a manager in-charge who is brave enough to give them significant first-team minutes.

Maybe this is what the club needed? A manager who is broad-shouldered enough to leave Darren Bent on the bench and start a seventeen year-old. Or who picks his team based on what he sees in training rather than players' reputations.

Felix Magath has, for want of a better phrase, the balls to interfere with the established order at Fulham, and given the club's recent downward trajectory that can't be a bad thing. Big physical demands of the players, giving opportunities to hungry unknowns...these are good developments, and ones which should be applauded by the supporters.

Relegated or not this season, Fulham feel like they're headed in the right direction at last.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/fulham-hinting-at-a-healthier-tomorrow/

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-3 Everton

Class told in the end.  Fulham couldn't get the ball back from Everton and this meant Everton were able to keep us at arm's length for long stretches.  This rather took away from the home team's ability to build momentum, and this alone probably cost us the match.

The team were so keyed up that less skilled teams than Everton could have been blown away, but it simply wasn't to be.  Fulham can be proud of their efforts, although the game did rather resemble a lower league v Premiership battle in which the former know it's their biggest game yet and the latter have to be sharp accordingly.

This is what we've wanted for a while: the quality isn't there (no, we made sure of that by shipping out the flair players) but the effort was.  Now, effort alone is no use to anyone but in the hands of good players it's the stuff revivals are made of.  Witness Lewis Holtby's performance for the ages, a terrific wholehearted scrap from a player I'd desperately love Fulham to sign.

Magath continued to push the right buttons by selecting 17 year old Moussa Dembele for his first ever start.  As with Cauley Woodrow, a teenager from the youth ranks has a lot more leeway from the crowd and can raise hopes through just being there.  Dembele did alright: he showed some good touches, missed perhaps the team's best chance just on half-time (probably the game's turning point), but can be pleased enough with his first efforts.  He might have been taken off a bit earlier but that's not why we lost.

Ashkan Dejagah scored cutting in again (why did nobody think of this earlier in the season?) and this brought the team back to 1-1 (Everton went ahead from a Stockdale o.g. in which the ball ricocheted off the poor 'keeper's shins), and suddenly there was great hope that maybe Fulham had something after all.

Trouble was we got very open and Everton ultimately profited from this, but what can you do?  They're a good team and we're trying to become one.  Against weaker opponents that performance would probably, almost certainly, have produced a win.  It had a bit of everything and the team need to just go about replicating it in the next few matches.

Incidentally, it's taken a while but Magath might be getting somewhere.  The below is a four game rolling average chart of Fulham's shots and shots allowed this season.   The rolling average just means it takes the last four matches, which gives us smoother lines and guards against outliers (if we just took the actual shots and shots allowed it'd be up and down like a yo-yo).   So here's Martin Jol's famously futile run. Meulensteen steadied the ship pretty well.  Hull was just an outlier, otherwise we were very competitive in all games except Arsenal, Southampton, Liverpool and Manchester United, which is no crime considering how we started the season.  Magath has seen a slight upwards curve but hasn't been in charge long enough.  I think I read at the time how Fulham were actually lucky under Jol to have as many points as we did (based on underlying indicators) but that Meulensteen was actually pretty unlucky.  I can see this, based on the shot numbers.

Anyway, there we go.   Basically if you take away the Jol ridiculousness we're a mid table team.  Let's hope we can play better than that in the run-in.  We need to.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/fulham-1-3-everton/?

WhiteJC

Duff signals intent to play League of Ireland

Damien Duff has reiterated his desire to finish his playing career in the League of Ireland, writes Cian Tracey.

Speaking to Newstalk yesterday, Duff maintained that he doesn't have any immediate plans to retire but before he does, he will "definitely" play in Ireland.

"It's definitely on the list. I'm obviously going to move back home – I want to raise my kids in Ireland so they can see their family every day," Duff said.

"I'm not planning on hanging up my boots any time soon, I think there's an awful lot more left in the tank. I need to get back fit first but I'm absolutely, definitely going to play at home in Ireland."

The 35-year-old's season has been cut short because of a knee injury and the winger admitted that he doesn't have any regrets about calling time on his international career, despite the new managerial set-up.

"I can't say I do," Duff said when asked if he misses playing for Ireland. "It just felt right. There was no great reason. It wasn't as if my body was packing it in or anything like that – I feel as good as ever.

"I certainly didn't miss it when we were playing Germany at Lansdowne Road! I wouldn't say I even watch all the games anymore. A million per cent I made the right decision," he added.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/duff-signals-intent-to-play-league-of-ireland-30140183.html

WhiteJC

Cottage chief eyes striker bonus

Felix Magath is hoping striker Kostas Mitroglou will be fit to boost Fulham's flagging survival bid at Aston Villa on Saturday.

Former boss Rene Meulensteen drafted in the 26-year-old Greek international from Olympiakos for around £12million during the January transfer window to try and fire the club to safety. However, Mitroglou has barely featured for the club and he was again absent on Sunday as the Cottagers crashed to a 3-1 home defeat against Everton to leave them rooted to the foot of the Premier League, five points from safety with only six games remaining. But with a must-win game at Villa coming this weekend, Magath is hopeful of having him available following an ongoing knee problem. He said: "He is injured and he is working to come back. Maybe next week he will join us. "Then we have to look at whether he is fit or not and whether he can play or not." Meanwhile, Magath is adamant his players have not resigned themselves to relegation despite Sunday's damaging defeat against Roberto Martinez's Champions League-chasing Toffees. "We are all very disappointed as we know it was an important game for us," he said. "The game we played was good. We go on and then we will see how it works in the next game. "I think we need four victories and there are enough games [to get them]."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottage-chief-eyes-striker-bonus-1719667.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Everton 3: Felix Magath defiant, stressing Fulham survival attempts aren't over until they're relegated

Felix Magath insists Fulham's best performance of his brief reign as manager has strengthened his belief they can escape relegation from the Barclays Premier League.

The Cottagers succumbed 3-1 to Everton to leave them five points adrift of safety, propping up the table with only six games left to secure a 14th season of top flight football.

But it was only in the closing stages of the match that the Champions League-chasing Toffees pulled clear thanks to strikes from substitutes Kevin Mirallas and Steven Naismith.

Magath took enough positives from his seventh game in charge to be confident Fulham can survive.

"It was a very important game and it's very disappointing that we lost," Magath said.

"But if you see how we played, it gives you another view. It was our best game. We created a lot of chances, but we didn't score enough goals.

"I'm not planning for the Championship now, we will try again next weekend.

"I know that we can still make it because Everton are one of the best teams at the moment but we didn't play like a relegated team against them."

There was a large slice of fortune about Everton's 50th minute opener as goalkeeper David Stockdale unwittingly deflected the ball into his own net.

Fulham rallied with an outstanding strike from Ashkan Dejagah, only to be overwhelmed soon after claiming the equaliser.

The win keeps Everton in contention for the fourth Champions League spot with boss Roberto Martinez predicting the race will be decided on the final day of the season.

The Toffees know that if they win all of their remaining seven matches - starting with Sunday's clash against Arsenal at Goodison - they will finish in fourth.

FULHAM 1 EVERTON 3 MATCH REPORT

A triumphant sequence spanning five successive Premier League games has transformed them into genuine contenders for Europe, but Martinez insisted the competition is fierce.

"Being in this position gives us an understanding of what a good season we've had," Martinez said.

"With the points we have we have a realistic chance to fight for that aim (Champions League).

"I'm not saying we're going to get that because we admire Arsenal because they get in the Champions League consistently.

"They have developed a real understanding what to do in these games, so that makes Sunday a phenomenal challenge.

"It will probably go down to the last game of the season."

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-1-everton-3-felix-magath-defiant-stressing-fulham-survival-attempts-arent-over-until-theyre-relegated-9225358.html

WhiteJC

Trio Confirmed

We're pleased to announce the addition of three familiar faces to the Fulham All Stars squad for the charity match against Sealand All Stars on Saturday 17th May.

Former record signing - and the Club's first million pound player - Paul Peschisolido returns to the All Stars side after scoring a brace in last season's 7-5 victory over Sealand.

Pesch was a real favourite during his time at Craven Cottage, scoring 30 times in his 117 appearances for the Club.

Betsy was a teammate of Peschisolido's back in the days when Fulham were climbing the divisions. Something of a utility man, Betsy's debut came at Anfield of all places in a 3-1 League Cup defeat – the highlight of which was a stunning left footed curler from Peschisolido that had levelled the scores.

Betsy was just 20 years old at the time and would go on to make 20 appearances for the Club, scoring once in a 4-1 home win over Millwall. He's now a coach in the Fulham Academy.

Denmark international Goldbaek made the short switch from Stamford Bridge in January 2000 and became an instant hit by the river.

A traditional right winger, Goldbaek was famous for his deliveries and runs down the wing. During his three and a half year stay at the Club he played 104 times and scored seven goals. Fans attending the All Stars game will no doubt be hoping to witness a trademark Goldbaek thunderbolt from long range!

More names will be announced over the next few weeks – so be sure to keep checking the event page.

Tickets for the event are on sale now – in aid of raising funds for the Fulham Football Club Foundation and children's hospice Shooting Star CHASE – and are priced at £12 adults and just £5 for under-16s.

Buy your tickets today online at fulhamfc.com/tickets, by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1), or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/31/trio-confirmed?

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Ryan Tunnicliffe returned to Wigan Athletic's starting XI as the Latics earned a point in an eventful 1-1 draw at Bolton Wanderers in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday.

The hosts looked to be heading for victory after Lukas Jutkiewicz's 31st minute effort.

Tunnicliffe made way just before the hour mark and Wigan snatched an equaliser with four minutes remaining when Nick Powell smashed home.

The visitors could then have won it when Callum McManaman was fouled in injury time by Alex Baptiste in the area but Adam Bogdan saved Jordi Gomez's penalty. The point keeps Wigan fifth.

In League One, Brentford and Marcello Trotta lost ground on leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers after a 0-0 draw at Oldham Athletic.

Trotta was introduced in the 62nd minute but the Bees couldn't find a way through as the game finished goalless.

Brentford remain second but have fallen six points behind Wolves in the chase for the title. However, the Bees are now four points above Leyton Orient in third.

In League Two, Dagenham & Redbridge dented Oxford United and Ryan Williams' Play-Off hopes after with a late 1-0 win.

Williams should have put the visitors ahead but he fired over after meeting Josh Ruffels' cross.

Williams then departed the action in the 76th minute and saw Daggers grab an injury-time winner when Luke Howell's deflected effort looped in.

The U's are now seventh, level on points with eighth-placed York City.

There was better news for Marcus Bettinelli and Accrington Stanley who won 1-0 at Exeter City to move nine points clear of the relegation zone.

Kayode Odejayi bundled home the only goal of the game on the stroke of half-time and Bettinelli wasn't tested until late on when he saved Liam Sercombe's free-kick.

The result saw Stanley move up to 14th and boss James Beattie said: "The players will surprise a lot of people but they don't surprise me. They never know when to lie down and they're a tremendous bunch. It makes me very proud to be their manager."

Tom Richards started as AFC Wimbledon went down to a 1-0 defeat at Mansfield Town.

Adam Murray's free-kick gave home side the lead in the seventh minute, with Richards substituted just after the break.

The result sees the Dons drop to 16th, eight points clear of the relegation zone.

In the Dutch Eredivisie, Bryan Ruiz and PSV Eindhoven lost 3-2 at home to Groningen.

Memphis Depay put PSV ahead in the third minute but the visitors soon levelled through Richairo Zivkovic and Filip Kostic put them in front on 20.

Jurgen Locadia's penalty drew the home side level before the break after Ruiz was fouled in the box, but Tjaronn Chery made it 3-2 in the 67th minute. Ruiz made way with 12 minutes remaining as PSV drop down to third.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/31/loan-round-up?

WhiteJC

Spurs Tickets

Tickets for our away match against Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday 19th April (12.45pm) are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders.

Members will have access to buy tickets from 10am on Wednesday 2nd April, with remaining tickets going on sale to supporters with a Booking History from 10am on Friday 4th April.

Supporters can buy up to six tickets each online at fulhamfc.com or by calling 0843 208 1234.

Tickets are priced from £37 for adults, from £21 for over-65s and from £19 for under-16s.

The Club will also be providing free coach travel for this match on a first-come-first-served basis. For more information and to book your place, please call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234.

Tickets for junior Season Ticket Holders and Members are also FREE. Free Junior tickets must be obtained in conjunction with at least one Adult ticket and can be booked over the phone or in person from our Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/31/spurs-tickets?

WhiteJC

Defensive crisis forced Magath into Grimmer recall

Fulham boss Felix Magath says a defensive crisis forced him to recall teenage defender Jack Grimmer from Port Vale.

The Scotland under-21 international went on loan to the League One side in January, initially on a one-month deal, but it was extended until last week.

Fulham decided to call the promising youngster back after Fernando Amorebieta got a one-match suspension and Dan Burn suffered an injury.

"We have Dan Burn injured and now Fernando is out, so we are out of defenders," Magath said.

"Therefore I called Jack back and maybe not on Saturday but in the next few weeks he may play for us."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/defensive-crisis-forced-magath-grimmer-recall-14033185533#d8JVzkFDAz7rUQ2q.99

WhiteJC

Future unclear for Fulham defender Riether

Fulham defender Sascha Riether admits he does not know where his future lies with the club on the brink of relegation.

The right-back is under contract until 2015, with the option of another year, but the prospect of plying his trade in the Championship appears a daunting one.

Manager Felix Magath is blooding an increasing amount of youngsters at Craven Cottage with Moussa Dembele, Patrick Roberts and Cauley Woodrow making up a trio of teenagers who finished the 3-1 defeat to Everton on Sunday.

And that could pave the way for 31-year-old Riether, along with a number of Fulham's other under-performing senior players to move on of their own accord, or otherwise.

"I don't think we should speak about the future," Riether said.

"We have games left and we believe we can stay in the league, I don't believe we should speak about the future."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/future-unclear-fulham-defender-riether-14033185538#iKmDqUDQc3JmwJzy.99

WhiteJC

Dembele impresses on first Fulham start

Fulham's 17-year-old Frenchman Moussa Dembele made his full debut for the Cottagers this afternoon in a must win game against Everton. Many seemed perplexed by Felix Magath's decision to start such an inexperienced player in a game of this magnitude when Darren Bent was available; he has scored four goals in his last six against The Toffees.

His faith in the youngster seemed justified when he put in a shift during the first half. Just like fellow countrymen Yaya Sanogo has done during his Arsenal career, Dembele put himself about a bit. Fans and his teammates fed off his energy with the home side creating the best chances of the first 45. The first came from a Lewis Holtby corner. Moussa Dembele occupied John Stones in the box as Brede Hangeland flicked on at the near post only for Kasami to miss the resulting header at a tight angle. Minutes later he was involved once more as he laid the ball on a plate for left-back Kieran Richardson. The link up play between the striker and Tottenham loanee was superb all afternoon. It was this which created the opportunity. A ball into the former Paris Saint-Germain player was collected well and was preceded by an exquisite little toe poke past Coleman to Richardson, the shot was tame and was well saved by Tim Howard.

The best chance of the half fell to the man making his home debut. A very good curling cross from the left foot of Holtby found the unmarked Fulham player on the corner of the six yard box. He did well to escape the attention of the Everton defenders but could only manage to head the ball into the arms of Howard. This and a misjudged offside decision showcased his good movement. Below is a heatmap showing Dembele's positioning:

The number 45 joined his current club in the summer of 2012 and the Craven Cottage faithful will be hoping they keep hold of him longer than his Belgium namesake. The second half started badly for The Cottagers as an unfortunate Stockdale own goal undid all the hard work his side put into the game. Despite this, Dembele continued to back into Distin and Stones attempting to hold the ball up for the oncoming midfielders.

The 5'10" striker found it difficult to get on the ball after the team from Merseyside took the lead and was subsequently taken off in the 80th minute. Given a great ovation by the home fans he will be hoping to get a few more games on his belt between now and the end of the season with the London club expected to drop down to the second division of English football. Whether he will be looking to let his talents flourish in the Championship or will want to move on to a bigger club remains to be seen but one thing is for sure, he has a bright future ahead of him.

Read more at http://swol.co/dembele-impresses-on-first-fulham-start/33686?#MXsDdbqxTrAYjJQC.99