watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR. New York / Boston

Started by spikey norman, April 03, 2014, 06:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikey norman

Going to the US for the first time this summer and will be visiting New York for 3 nights and then onto Boston for 3 nights.
Would like to stay in an area where there is a good choice of bars and restaurants but also within easy reach of some of the major attractions in each city.
Can anyone recommend some good areas to consider and any attractions that are a must - the Cheers Bar in Boston is definitely one on the list.

terryr

Quote from: spikey norman on April 03, 2014, 06:31:59 PM
Going to the US for the first time this summer and will be visiting New York for 3 nights and then onto Boston for 3 nights.
Would like to stay in an area where there is a good choice of bars and restaurants but also within easy reach of some of the major attractions in each city.
Can anyone recommend some good areas to consider and any attractions that are a must - the Cheers Bar in Boston is definitely one on the list.

Midtown, its where most of the hotels in NYC are anyway.
Go to Katz's deli at the corner of Houston and Ludlow on the lower east side.
Best Pastrami on rye on the planet!
Also a "real" New York Deli experience

spikey norman

Thanks Terry
Also been told to try Peter Luger's steakhouse - apparently the best one in New York for 30 years

terryr

I've heard Peter Luger's  very good too.
Haven't been there myself though.
If you want a Hotel that's "hip" with a decent bar ( a lot of the bar scene is in hotels try the W on Lexington
http://www.wnewyork.com/

Or if you want really hip the Grammercy:

http://www.gramercyparkhotel.com/
Its got one of the hippest hotel Bars in NYC

I go to Katz's every time I'm in New York
http://katzsdelicatessen.com/

Me-ate-Live, innit??

The humidity was a real problem for me  so I did not get to do all that I wanted
So I haven't  gone in the summer for 30 years  :022:
However, as TerryR has not mentioned it, perhaps it is no longer a problem

terryr

It can be humid in July/August

BR

I was in NYC for the first time a few months ago, and can recommend Peter Lugars.  Not cheap, but great food.  I came back with a suitcase load of their steak sauce and you should too!

For brunch, try the Lobster Joint, just a few doors up from Katz Deli.  Along with great brunch food, it also does a mean bloody mary with a lobster claw floating on top. While you're in town make sure that you have a try a pickleback when you're in a bar.  I won't explain.  It's really best discovered for yourself.

Also, highly recommend onefinestay for finding an apartment to stay in whilst you're there.  Enjoy!

jj____

Live in New York--tons of stuff to do in Manhattan and really nowhere to avoid.  If its your first time, then I'd absolutely check out all of the touristy stuff.  Try to avoid the people trying to sell you tickets for things on the streets.

Moved from Boston-Check out the North End, freedom trail, statehouse/beacon hill, Fenway, seaport.  Its a small city

bucksfulham

If you're going to Ellis Island and the Statue Of Liberty (recommended) book online in advance to avoid horrendous queues for the boat.

The Rock

I live in NY. When the time gets closer PM me, always like to get out with Fulham crew whether in NY or SW6.

Depending on the funds you have, I'd def check out tripadvisor.com. I'd stay by Central Park or union square. NY can be pretty dingy in general so a well rated hotel would be nice. I would say that you might want to consider the not so touristy things that people don't tell you about like the lower east village. Pretty cool artsy scene where Lou Reed and Warhol, Bowie etc all used to frequent. I might also go to Harvard Sq in Boston which I don't think the tourist books tell you about. Check it out!

jarv

I live near Boston. Nice city, small (about the size of Edinburgh) and easy to walk around. You will have no problem finding out where to go once here. Eating and drinking? There are loads of decent restaurants in the city. Like most cities you can also get tour buses. (Duck tours take you
on the water too but I have never been on one). Cheers bar looks nothing like on the telly. I did eat drink in there a couple of times. It was ok.
The north end is the Italian area, some decent food there.
From Boston harbour you can get boats/ferries to islands (Nantucket etc) or whale watches up the coast.

Yes, it is hot and humid in the summer.

akf

I would suggest a trip out to either the Bronx or Queens while in NYC(or Fenway while in Boston) to enjoy the great American pastime. If you are in either area during the week, I would suggest a night baseball game. You can have dinner (traditionally a hot dog, but more gastro delights these days) AND a beer in your seat while you watch.

Both New York teams have new ball parks and Boston has one of the most historic in the States. 

Alternatively, you can try to catch Henry at Red Bull Stadium in the MlS ;)

God The Mechanic

Quote from: bucksfulham on April 04, 2014, 12:23:18 PM
If you're going to Ellis Island and the Statue Of Liberty (recommended) book online in advance to avoid horrendous queues for the boat.

Managed to do that and Ground Zero on September 11th one year - that was miserable as sin.  But Ellis Island is crazy interesting, even if it is pretty depressing.

jj____

Excellent point by The Rock--check out Harvard Square, its lovely especially in the summer.

COME TO A RBNY MATCH, WE'D LOVE TO HAVE YOU

FulhamBoston

My time to shine.

I love Boston, grew up there, lived there for most of my life.  The city is compact, which makes it extremely walkable so if you stay in a central part of the city or near the T you'll have no problem getting to any neighborhoods (calling it a small city is a bit innaccurate since it's restricted geographically, in terms of metropolitan area it's the sixth largest city in the country). 

Personally for food and stuff to see I prefer Cambridge and would recommend staying near Harvard Square which has a number of excellent restaurants (try Mr. Bartley's Burgers and Clover Food Lab), the University and is a transportation hub that easily get you to other parts of Cambridge and Boston.  The North End is the Italian district and has great food but is a little pricey.  Back Bay has Newbury Street which is posh but worth a stroll.  Start on Boston Common and walk the Freedom Trail and you'll see all the historical sites worth seeing.  Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market are tourist traps and to my mind aren't really worth checking out, but its pleasant enough.

New up and coming neighborhoods are the Fort Point Arts District (T Stop is World Trade Center on the Silver Line) which has a bunch of snazzy fancy restaurants, breweries & beer gardens (check out harpoon!) and The Institute of Contemporary Art (which is an amazing building).  Union Square in Somerville is the sort of hipster neighborhood with a bunch of new sciency delicious food and cocktails (Backbar!).

TL;DR New York sucks

spikey norman

Thanks for all the tips everyone
Will be travelling over 3rd week August and hopefully humidity won't be too bad.
Travel agent suggested Greenwich Village/Washington Park/TriBeCa as possible areas to stay in New York and along Tremont Street in a Boston.
Katz deli will be a definite as I love pastrami and Little Italy & China Town for good restaurants.Hoping for a good clam chowder in Boston.
It's difficult to see everything in 3 days so a bus tour in both cities will be my starting point then try to visit as many of the major attractions during my stay.

The Rock I will pm you nearer the time as good to celebrate / commiserate with fellow Fulham fans wherever they live- last summer met a Croatian Fulham fan while on holiday over there.

ScalleysDad

We were wandering through Battery Park and just sort of drifted onto The Statten Island ferry, cue Billy Joel tune, and that trip was as good as any of the paid for touristy stuff and it was free. Years ago mind and as I recall stay on the boat and fire up the camera for the return journey. You can quite easily do a walk of film locations, song titles or song references which was great and when we crashed on a bench near Strawberry Fields with a burger and a coffee we just sat and watched New Yorkers for half an hour or so ............ you are of course all mad!

Burt

Burt

Also been to Boston, which as others have suggested has plenty to do and is very accessible. Stayed in the Commonwealth hotel, with a view across to the legendary Fenwick Park. Not cheap, but it was a special occasion.

The restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel (Eastern Standard) does breakfasts to die for!

grandad

You should try & meet up with Russ Goldman of Cottage Talk Radio fame when you are in Boston. Really great bloke.
Where there's a will there's a wife