more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (20/04/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 20, 2014, 08:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Tottenham 3-1 Fulham: Felix Magath still "sure" of avoiding drop

Manager Felix Magath is "sure" Fulham will avoid Premier League relegation, despite losing 3-1 away at Tottenham.

All of Spurs goals came from crosses with Paulinho, Harry Kane and Younes Kaboul on target.

Steve Sidwell scored for the visitors but missed a penalty with 15 minutes left and the defeat leaves them in the relegation zone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27088170

WhiteJC

Magath`s Still Confident

Following our loss to Spurs, this afternoon, we`re still facing an uphill battle to maintain our Premier League status.

With three games left to play it`s fair to say that we need to win two out of those three fixtures to stand any chance of being a Premier League club next season.

But Magath, reflecting on the defeat today, isn`t prepared to throw in the towel just yet with the German remarking,

'If we had got a point here it would have been an extra point to us. We have to win our home games. We will stay up. I think we have to win our home games and if we win six points it could be enough."

'I'm confident, I'm sure we will stay up, because there were reasons why we weren't as good as Tottenham, but next week we will make it better."

'We unfortunately have three players injured or ill so we had to change the team and that made us a little bit uncertain. We were not quite good enough so I think Tottenham were the better team.'

This relegation thing is going right down to the wire I believe!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=356508#ixzz2zPRAyqvj

WhiteJC

Don't rule us out! Felix Magath backs Fulham for Premiership survival despite Spurs defeat

FELIX MAGATH is confident that Fulham can survive their relegation scrap despite suffering another crushing defeat in the Premier League.

The Cottagers succumbed to a 3-1 loss at White Hart Lane against Tottenham, leaving them cemented in the drop zone with just three games remaining.

The west London outfit trail struggling Norwich and safety by two points, but are well aware that the Canaries have a game in-hand, albeit against title-chasers Liverpool.

Magath's side also have the worst goal-difference in the top-flight with -42, but the German, who famously rescued Bundesliga sides Stuttgart and Wolfsburg from relegation, is adamant his men can shock the league and retain their Premiership status.

He said: "(We were) quite good, but not good enough; Tottenham were the better team and won.

"If we had got any points here, it would have been an extra point for us.

"We have to win our home games and I think we can manage it."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/471359/Don-t-rule-us-out-Felix-Magath-backs-Fulham-for-Premiership-survival-despite-Spurs-defeat

WhiteJC

A culture of failure at Fulham could yet end in relegation

PA Photos

Felix Magath's men remain in peril following Saturday's defeat to Tottenham, and when he sits down to analyse the difference between winning and losing here, it could well serve as a template for the last eight months of Fulham's season of struggle.

The inadequate and mismanaged transfer budgets from the last two seasons alongside Martin Jol's poor judgment, lax organisation and inflated ego created a culture of failure at the Cottage that may yet see them relegated from the Premier League. Despite the accelerated churn of players at the turn of the year, it is clear the club still lack players of real quality. Why was this so poorly handled during the dark days of January?

Opposition managers sense deficiencies inside the first 45 minutes of every match; they change tactics, and games run away from Fulham in the second half. You only have to look at the Everton match at Craven Cottage as a case in point. Roberto Martinez knew he had to change things at half-time, as he could sense joy was to be had in exploring behind the lines -- he promptly shuffled his pack and came up trumps as Fulham had no answer. Again. Time and time again this has happened, and it goes some way in explaining the difficulties of such a disappointing campaign.

There are no game-changers in the current Fulham team. No Wilfried Bony, Christian Eriksen or Jason Puncheon. Meanwhile, with one of the tightest budgets in the top flight, they continue paying Darren Bent 65,000 pounds a week to warm the bench. That is frankly obscene.

There are, of course, plenty of honest triers, and it is clear that effort is being put in from the vast majority. But they are a collection of housepainters, with no van Gogh to light up the room. With the much maligned Dimitar Berbatov in the side, there was always the chance he might conjure up some magic as he did in this fixture 12 months ago. That dimension has gone.

The general mediocrity is only compounded by the folly of breaking the transfer record for an international striker not fit to start over the most critical three months of the campaign. Kostas Mitroglou has turned out to be one of Fulham's most expensive mistakes of all time.

Magath's men are below struggling Cardiff with three more goals underlining how porous the defence has been all season. Brede Hangeland's decline has been sharp, as well -- time is certainly against the big Norwegian. Two free kicks were delivered through a packed penalty area for Spurs players to hit home from close range, with neither player able to get off the ground, despite nine visiting players back defending. How damning is that?

Even when presented with an opportunity to score from 12 yards without any hindrance, Steve Sidwell failed to do so. In a season of strife, you need to make the most of each chance afforded to you, but profligacy and pain rule the day in this part of west London, with perhaps more to come.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/2074?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Fulham open contract talks with John Heitinga as defender hopes to make Holland World Cup squad

The Dutchman arrived at Craven Cottage on a short-term deal in January, but the London club want to keep him for next season

Fulham aim to start contract talks with John Heitinga this week – to keep the Dutch defender at Craven Cottage next season.

Heitinga, 30, agreed a short-team deal for the rest of the current campaign after moving from Everton in January deadline week, with Fulham agreeing to take over the terms of his existing Goodison deal.

But Heitinga is happy in London and keen to stay as long as the club remain in the Premier League, with manager Felix Magath wanting to tie him down to a two-year contract.

And Heitinga is hoping to book a ticket to the World Cup finals by keeping Fulham up in their final three matches against Hull, Stoke and Crystal Palace.

Heitinga, capped 87 times by Holland, was told by boss Louis Van Gaal that his chances of reaching Brazil were over if he continued to sit on the bench at Everton.

But Heitinga has been outstanding for Fulham in recent weeks to boost his hopes of a Dutch recall.

And he said: "I feel people appreciate me more here."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-open-contract-talks-john-3433528#ixzz2zPTZ1oq6
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Manager Reaction

Felix Magath was satisfied with the application of his Fulham side at Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday, but was left frustrated at their defending from set-pieces.

Two of Spurs' goals in their 3-1 win arrived following free-kicks in wide positions when Paulinho and Younes Kaboul escaped their markers to score from close range – an issue that irked the Fulham Manager.

"We made quite a good game and we had some chances," he stated. "Tottenham played very well and they have a good goalkeeper, and the goalkeeper saved two or three very good chances against us.

"So we didn't play badly but the thing that was not so good was that we conceded two goals from free-kicks, and that's the only thing which disturbs.

"We had some problems before the game, we had some injured or ill players so we had to change the team from last week. Therefore I was satisfied with the performance today."

In his post-match press conference Magath was asked if his team's defending would have to improve if Fulham are to avoid relegation, and our Manager admitted it's a problem he has spoken to his troops about.

"You're right," he answered. "That's what I'm saying; the only thing that's disturbing me is that we conceded from free-kicks for two goals. It was only one metre from the goal line – that is too easy.

"I told the boys we have to work on it because if we make it better in the next games I think we are able to stay up and to win our home games.

"It would be better if we got one or three points today but we were not expected to win here at Tottenham. We are relying on our home games and they are both games that we have to win, and that might be enough to stay up in the league."

Magath made five changes to the side that beat Norwich City last week, but he is hoping to have a full complement of players available again for next Saturday's clash with Hull City at Craven Cottage.

He explained: "Sascha Riether was ill, he's at home this morning, and Kieran Richardson and Mama Diarra are injured and so they did not belong to the team today.

"They are only small injuries; Diarra has knee problems but he joined us yesterday and the day before so I'm sure he can be with us next week. And Kieran, he tried this morning but he had muscle problems. He tried today in the morning but it didn't work so he will join us next week.

"Sascha had a headache and throat problem and it will be good next week again. Scott Parker had a kick on a muscle but he is confident and sure that he can train next week."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/april/19/manager-reaction

WhiteJC

Close but no cigar: Spurs 3-1 Fulham

Rats. We can talk about not having expected anything but in our position we need unexpected points. We are only going to survive on unexpected points.

So when, at 3-1 down, a penalty went our way, it seemed that a redemptive Eastlands moment had arisen.  But Sidwell's hit and hope penalty was beaten out and with it probably our chances of staying up.  I'm not saying that's it - there's an awful lot of football still to be played and anything could happen – but that was a big moment and we blew it.

Fulham did so much right but were undone by two extraordinary free-kicks from Christian Eriksen (I don't care who turned them in, they were his goals) and a piece of dire defending on the left flank.

1-1 at half time had looked entirely fair and the team should have been optimistic about its chances. But then Aaron Lennon was given acres by Dejagah (with Riise behind him – what, were they that scared of his pace?) and his cross was headed home.  It was an awful goal with no redeeming features.

The team put in a fine effort to keep its winning run going but ran in to a better team. Spurs scored first via the first Eriksen free-kick, a laser beam that landed in our six yard box unmolested, for Paulinho to shin home from a yard out. Marking? Well, maybe, but that was a world class cross.  Fulham came back with a fine Steve Sidwell goal – all charge and fury – and you could almost imagine the team puffing out its collective chest at half-time, ready to take the second half.  But then that soft, soft, goal, and Fulham didn't really recover.

What did we learn?

Stockdale did well again. The left flank looked like it might be dangerous defensively and proved to be. Parker, Sidwell and Kvist was a solid three but probably ties up a player that we could use elsewhere. Two really good players in synch ought to be able to do the same job, it feels, and while it's lovely that Felix isn't getting lulled into doing the Sidwell/Parker duo thing, the midfield we did put out was really limited in possession. Kvist I like as a player but he seems to have little range on the ball, a sort of slightly different Etuhu with a good selfless game but not much capability offensively. Parker was terrific for a bit but again lacks a bit of guile attacking: Spurs seemed to give him room in their half but he didn't have the wit or the options to really make the most of it.

Sidwell we know: he did what he does, scoring that wonder goal, missing that vital penalty.  It's his season in microcosm, more good bits than anyone else has come up with but perhaps with a slight sting in the tail lest we get too carried away with his overall contribution.  I always feel terribly harsh being anything but positive about a player who clearly shows a lot of balls and is a team leader and an admirable pro, but as the Times noted today in its analytics column, we have the worst squad in the league on this year's performance: being the best player for Fulham in 2013/14 isn't all that.

Rodallega continued to be a revelation up front.  I don't mind him not scoring, he got into positions, did all he could to make things happen and if he sometimes makes bad choices he more than makes up for it with an energy and quality that was basically not there in our team until Magath took over.  There is quality in Rodallega, a reminder that under Jol our chaotic attacking play did nobody any favours.

Kacaniklic tried hard but is still probably a season away from regular quality contributions, Dejagah's contribution reminded us why some players are better as substitutes (and as soon as football realises that this is a legitimate 'role' rather than an afterthought the better: Dejagah coming on breathing fire is a dangerous thing. Going through the motions as a starter is no use, and while he's better than he showed today, he has been devilishly effective as a second half shock sub. Why change that?).

So, yeah.  Hope for the future, doom and gloom for the present.  Spurs were there to be taken but it needed a lot to go right, everything to go right, but as we know, this season has no remaining margin for error, and Fulham were not without error.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/04/19/close-but-no-cigar-spurs-3-1-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Supporters are Loud and Fun Even in Defeat

This weekend's games may have went as bad for Fulham as possible, but it will always be remembered fondly by me. Sitting away with the supporters was a highlight of my trip. This short video doesn't even begin to capture how boisterous it was.

It's just a cell phone video, so it doesn't capture the atmosphere as well as it should. But I was very impressed with the Fulham supporters at this match. Even in a loss it was one of the best crowds I've ever sat with.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2014/4/19/5632072/fulham-supporters-are-loud-and-fun-even-in-defeat?