more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Defending / turning our backs

Started by leonffc, April 20, 2014, 09:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonffc

Don't take this as a post loss negative rant but:
Too many times yesterday our players turned their backs or winced at a ball being delivered. It's unforgivable in professional football, particularly when we are fighting for our lives. Dejagah half heartedly jumped in the air when Lennon shaped to cross and came back on his left foot for Kane's goal where he should have stood his ground.
He certainly wasn't the only one though, it happened numerous times all across our defending third.
It was highlighted last week on MOTD with WBA and I'm afraid we are as bad.

I'll be quick to omit Parker from this though. I'm not his greatest fan but he will always throw himself into a block (without selling himself to get turned) and take the pain.

bog

Have to say that the way we conceded the goals from free kicks was scandalous. No marking whatsoever for the payers who scored. Is Alan Stephenson back in town?

092.gif

One Martin Thomas

No confidence.  No organisation.  No responsibility.  Not much desire either.  Story of our season.

Artful Dodger

Whilst we are on a rant as to what professional footballers should be able to do, if Rodellaga could kick with his left foot, he would have had a free shot from about 10 yards out! But no, he dithered, tried to cut back on to his right and lost the ball and that was after he hit the corner flag in the first minute or two when shooting with his right when running in from the left.

I don't want to pick on Hugo as there are numerous players that do this but all these players have to do ALL DAY is practise kicking a ball and still they aren't confident in kicking a ball 10 yards towards a goal that is about 24 feet wide!! In my view if you get paid thousands a week to kick a ball, at least be able to do it with either foot!!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Lighthouse

I can't help thinking we blew this game before we stepped onto the pitch. The way we threw ourselves about last week compared to yesterday was very odd.

As for Hugo. Yes ok but I feel we would be in a better position had HE and not Berbatov or Bent be allowed to play as often as they were
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

grandad

Apparently we have been practicing defending set pieces all season. However there was no one who could send in a decent enough cross to get the hang of it.
Where there's a will there's a wife

The Swan

Grandad,
                   I like your reply.
  I sit in The Hammy end just behind the goal. When we are about to defend a corner or set piece I shout to Hangeland to mark a player and not just to stand on his own.  Our other defenders just don't know how to man mark. I played Sunday league football in West London for many in the 60s and as I was captain I made sure that every attacking player was marked. I played centre half and although I took a few knocks I would make sure no one was left unmarked. I am not saying that we never conceded any goals but if we did we were out jumped by a better player.
Fulham should man mark for every corner or free kick.
The Swan

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: grandad on April 20, 2014, 04:20:12 PM
Apparently we have been practicing defending set pieces all season. However there was no one who could send in a decent enough cross to get the hang of it.

Really? Who told you that, I'm led to believe it's the complete opposite

One thing we don't do is stop crosses coming in. It's like we say, have the ball out wide , put your crosses in and we will deal with it, which we don't

You have to stop crosses coming in

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: The Swan on April 20, 2014, 08:41:49 PM
Grandad,
                   I like your reply.
  I sit in The Hammy end just behind the goal. When we are about to defend a corner or set piece I shout to Hangeland to mark a player and not just to stand on his own.  Our other defenders just don't know how to man mark. I played Sunday league football in West London for many in the 60s and as I was captain I made sure that every attacking player was marked. I played centre half and although I took a few knocks I would make sure no one was left unmarked. I am not saying that we never conceded any goals but if we did we were out jumped by a better player.
Fulham should man mark for every corner or free kick.

Sorry grandad only read first part  before replying and can now see you are taking the mick

The swan, no offence but football has changed since the 60s, we now have zonal marking which I personally don't believe in

ScalleysDad

Somebody once said that a zone never scored a goal. I bet we will be the first team to concede to a zone.
Corners have become a lottery now and it is only a matter of time before a pile of handbags become part of the charade. We seem to miss the basics and to give free kicks away in better positions than the corner flag quadrant knowing we are iffey at best at defending just smacks of a football brain switched off. If Magath and Co are working on this it needs some fine tuning ........ a leader would help.

jarv

Leon is absolutely right. They defend like a bunch of big girls. I played a bit of non league and lots of park football and rarely, if ever, recall turning my back on a ball hit at me. Got knocked out once but the ball didn't go near the goal. 092.gif

The Swan

I know that we have Zonal marking Southfield White. Lets change it and man mark. We can't be any worse.
The Swan

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: jarv on April 21, 2014, 02:31:20 AM
Leon is absolutely right. They defend like a bunch of big girls. I played a bit of non league and lots of park football and rarely, if ever, recall turning my back on a ball hit at me. Got knocked out once but the ball didn't go near the goal. 092.gif
Quite right Leon !!
Sascha Riether the little bu$$er,   is always doing it particularly in the 2nd half  :023:

Jims Dentist

In training it is different, but ant professional who turns his back on a cross or shot at goal  in a competitive match should be fined a weeks wages and made to publically apologise to the fans

Forever Fulham

Although I tend to agree with the general consensus of this string that we aren't very organized on set pieces, that there is often a 'watcher' amongst the field players who should be marking an open opponent, and that we aren't a very physically brave team (save Ashkan, Holtby, and a few others), my proudest day as a fan this season was the game against Man United where they defended like banshees.  They threw their bodies at everything, they challenged everything, they took the initiative, over and over again.  And they got swarmed with a record breaking number of crosses, all of which amounted to nothing for Man U.  So let's not assume they can't mark and be brave.  They screwed their courage to the sticking post that day!  And it made me a believer in Rene.  I can't help but wonder what would have happened had he been given more time, and those two 'assistants' shown the door.  Oh, well...

Humbled

Quote from: Artful Dodger on April 20, 2014, 10:27:36 AM
Whilst we are on a rant as to what professional footballers should be able to do, if Rodellaga could kick with his left foot, he would have had a free shot from about 10 yards out! But no, he dithered, tried to cut back on to his right and lost the ball and that was after he hit the corner flag in the first minute or two when shooting with his right when running in from the left.

I don't want to pick on Hugo as there are numerous players that do this but all these players have to do ALL DAY is practise kicking a ball and still they aren't confident in kicking a ball 10 yards towards a goal that is about 24 feet wide!! In my view if you get paid thousands a week to kick a ball, at least be able to do it with either foot!!

talking of free shots at goal u seem to mention what MIGHT have been if Hugo did or didn't do something however Sidweel DID have a FREE shot at goal???

Hugo was our best player BY FAR (especially in the first half) he held up everything, bullied the 2 centre backs, linked up well with 2 poor wide players, made Loris make 2 good saves, won a penalty, won everything in the air, his 1st touch was good (due to confidence from previous 2 games) and yet he still gets stick....

Had he played like that but had Holtby in behind him or maybe Bent on someone along side him we would have faired a lot better however unfortunately for him(and us) he had a poor Dejagah and Kaca.

Andy S

Defend the goal posts as well I say

leonffc

Quote from: Forever Fulham on April 23, 2014, 12:53:57 AM
Although I tend to agree with the general consensus of this string that we aren't very organized on set pieces, that there is often a 'watcher' amongst the field players who should be marking an open opponent, and that we aren't a very physically brave team (save Ashkan, Holtby, and a few others), my proudest day as a fan this season was the game against Man United where they defended like banshees.  They threw their bodies at everything, they challenged everything, they took the initiative, over and over again.  And they got swarmed with a record breaking number of crosses, all of which amounted to nothing for Man U.  So let's not assume they can't mark and be brave.  They screwed their courage to the sticking post that day!  And it made me a believer in Rene.  I can't help but wonder what would have happened had he been given more time, and those two 'assistants' shown the door.  Oh, well...

Ashkan was one of the culrits turning his back. This led to Lennon crossing at ease for Kanes goal.

westcliff white

i watched city on Monday and Kompany does exactly the same blocks as he turns away from the ball. very strange way of defending
Every day is a Fulham day

Bronaldinho

Far too many players just back off from the ball this season too. I've never seen footballer do it so much, JAR is a prime example, he never goes in for a tackle he just backs off until he's in the area.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com