more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Giggsy's first game in charge...

Started by General, April 22, 2014, 12:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

you guessed it - Norwich.

Throws up another possibility for the relegation battle.

Irregardless, I think Moyes should have been given a second year - just look at what happened at Liverpool with Brendan Rogers. Shocking piece of mismanagement by United. Surprised Ferguson let it happen.

Southcoastffc

How on earth did it come about that Giggs is 'in charge'?   Surely the prudent thing would be to ask Brian Kidd to take the reins for the rest of this season?  But I think Norwich will be fearing a performance from Man Utd.    049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Craven Mad

Quote from: General on April 22, 2014, 12:43:02 PM

Irregardless, I think Moyes should have been given a second year - just look at what happened at Liverpool with Brendan Rogers. Shocking piece of mismanagement by United. Surprised Ferguson let it happen.

My thoughts exactly.

This season is now a complete right-off. They should've accepted it and given him time and resources to rebuild for next year. Sacking him puts the team back to square one.

General

Quote from: Craven Mad on April 22, 2014, 12:52:20 PM
Quote from: General on April 22, 2014, 12:43:02 PM

My thoughts exactly.

This season is now a complete right-off. They should've accepted it and given him time and resources to rebuild for next year. Sacking him puts the team back to square one.

and we know first hand on three occasions this season how far behind that puts you. which other manager out there has proven himself not only in this league but as a long term manager for one club. They've just consigned themselves to the managerial merry-go-round.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 22, 2014, 12:50:38 PM
How on earth did it come about that Giggs is 'in charge'?   Surely the prudent thing would be to ask Brian Kidd to take the reins for the rest of this season?  But I think Norwich will be fearing a performance from Man Utd.    049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

With Kidd being the assistant at Man City, I think Giggs is a better choice..

ToodlesMcToot

Moyes should never have gone to Man U without a gaurantee of at least two seasons. There's no way he could possibly build his own team at that club anymore quickly. And there was always going to be the Revie backlash factor in replacing Ferguson.

I don't fell sorry for Moyes. He signed the deal and he's getting 4.5 million to walk away and sign another big money deal for next season.

Giggs, though, might just be a blessing for us. Man U under Moyes was hot and cold and could play great one game, awful another. I don't doubt that this Man U team will play and play well for Giggs. Norwich to lose.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Neil D

Sam Wallace in the i claims today that ManUre have never had a 'non-British' manager.  I'm sure Frank O'Farrell thought he was Irish - still what does he know?  Lazy journalism.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: aaronmcguigan on April 22, 2014, 01:20:16 PM

fp.gif fp.gif  Oh yes !  Well spotted!   :022: :022: :022:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

alfie

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 22, 2014, 02:13:18 PM
Quote from: aaronmcguigan on April 22, 2014, 01:20:16 PM

fp.gif fp.gif  Oh yes !  Well spotted!   :022: :022: :022:

bloody hell, i said the same thing at work today, no wonder i got some odd looks
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

FPT

I'm sure Ryan Giggs has more respect in the dressing room than David Moyes had. I don't see the logic at throwing the rumoured £200m at David Moyes, and hoping something happens. He's already spent £68m, and given Rooney £300k a week.

Better managers would have gotten results whilst rebuilding.

PokerMatt

Can't believe anyone can think Moyes deserved more time. People always say "but Ferguson was given time" - but United weren't champions by nine points before he took over.

There's been a 38-point swing in points between United and Everton this season, which says everything you need to know about the difference between a progressive manager (Martinez) and a dinosaur (Moyes).

His time was nothing short of a disaster and, funnily enough, Martinez is just the sort of manager they now need.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: PokerMatt on April 22, 2014, 05:43:20 PM
Can't believe anyone can think Moyes deserved more time. People always say "but Ferguson was given time" - but United weren't champions by nine points before he took over.

There's been a 38-point swing in points between United and Everton this season, which says everything you need to know about the difference between a progressive manager (Martinez) and a dinosaur (Moyes).

His time was nothing short of a disaster and, funnily enough, Martinez is just the sort of manager they now need.

Also, Fergie took over at a time when money and results weren't as important as it is now. They could afford to give him time. Moyes hasn't qualified for the champions league. A disaster for a club like united. What players in their right mind will go there next season? No champions league and then if they do go, they'll want similar or equal to Rooneys wage. Moyes has properly left them up the swanny!!

Or Fergie has.....
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

sunburywhite

Tommy Docherty  was my favourite because he got them relegated (but wasn't sacked)
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

PokerMatt

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on April 22, 2014, 05:55:33 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on April 22, 2014, 05:43:20 PM

Also, Fergie took over at a time when money and results weren't as important as it is now. They could afford to give him time. Moyes hasn't qualified for the champions league. A disaster for a club like united. What players in their right mind will go there next season? No champions league and then if they do go, they'll want similar or equal to Rooneys wage. Moyes has properly left them up the swanny!!

Or Fergie has.....

Exactly. There's no comparison really.

Fergie was very clever and left at just the right time when United might have struggled to challenge, but not even Europa League football is unthinkable. It's staggering how he can fail so badly.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

sunburywhite

Shame it is at Old Trafford as Giggsy is good at playing away
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Black, White and Fred

Martinez as new Man U manager next season? Wonder what they odds on that would be? Could be one of the most unlikely things to happen, but this is Football so who knows.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Humbled

Man United are at a point where they pretty much need a complete new team. Fergie knew that and he also knew they were struggling to attract players. Next season they will need minimum 6 New starters.

I feel for Moyes he walked into a team with very little respect and his undoing was that plus the fact he doesn't know how to manage so many players/personalities. Like I have said in another post, he is a good manager when he has a stable 15/16 players that all know their place.
Give him 25 that all think they are better than they are and demand a start and throw their toys out their pram when they don't and he crumbles. He would leave out the quiet players as it was the "easy way out" he was doomed from the minute he signed.
Some will say that is bad management and maybe but for me only 2 managers in recent years (in the prem) have had the personality and/or respect to do such a job, and they are SAF and Mourinho.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Humbled on April 23, 2014, 01:11:22 AM
Man United are at a point where they pretty much need a complete new team. Fergie knew that and he also knew they were struggling to attract players. Next season they will need minimum 6 New starters.

I feel for Moyes he walked into a team with very little respect and his undoing was that plus the fact he doesn't know how to manage so many players/personalities. Like I have said in another post, he is a good manager when he has a stable 15/16 players that all know their place.
Give him 25 that all think they are better than they are and demand a start and throw their toys out their pram when they don't and he crumbles. He would leave out the quiet players as it was the "easy way out" he was doomed from the minute he signed.
Some will say that is bad management and maybe but for me only 2 managers in recent years (in the prem) have had the personality and/or respect to do such a job, and they are SAF and Mourinho.

You say all that, but he got rid of the entire backroom team. Blokes who had a relationship with the players, knew their personalities, knew how to get them ticking. The majority of the "big" players, and all of the youth, had only ever known SAF and anyone below him. I think that was a critical error by Moyes, and one he never fully recovered from. If he had kept the like of Meulensteen, Phelan etc, who knows what would have happened.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Humbled

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on April 23, 2014, 10:24:41 AM
Quote from: Humbled on April 23, 2014, 01:11:22 AM

You say all that, but he got rid of the entire backroom team. Blokes who had a relationship with the players, knew their personalities, knew how to get them ticking. The majority of the "big" players, and all of the youth, had only ever known SAF and anyone below him. I think that was a critical error by Moyes, and one he never fully recovered from. If he had kept the like of Meulensteen, Phelan etc, who knows what would have happened.

Agree mate but it is very rare for a new manager to come in and not bring his own team with him.
I am NO fan of Moyes I just feel slightly sorry for him. Going back to a prediction post from the start of the season I said United would be Europa and they won't even make that lol!!!
Martinez is a manager I like.

ToodlesMcToot

Sad to see that happen with any manager, but it was always going to be this way at United. Someone had to clean out Fergie's holdovers in the backroom staff. Someone had to get the players used to the idea that Fergie's way of doing things was no more. Someone had to take the fall. At the same time, no manager turns down that opportunity.

The next manager, even if it had been Moyes coming in second, will have a much easier go of it. United have to clean house with regard to their roster (too little quality for a team of their stature) and the next team will be more beholding to the new man. Personally, I hope the next manager screws it up and ManUre get an extended run of learning what "mid-table" means, especially if that means a team like Everton can have a run at CL football. Time for a bit of new blood at the top of the table.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude