watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The premiership years...

Started by General, April 22, 2014, 03:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

someone said, if you see Brentford fans giving it large then just tell them to come back when they've had 12 consecutive years in the premiership.

seeing this made me think, well, if we're being honest and they beat us then what was the 12 years point if in the thirteenth we haven't learnt enough to keep it going.. If we're being honest half our seasons have been at the wrong end of the table, a couple near misses to relegation, so, if you are to look back on the premiership era, which could still continue (although I'm a pessimist - especially if scott parker keeps playing), what was the point? What were the highlights?

What have we gained from being in the premiership? How have we grown and developed? What have been the moments that have made it worthwhile?

Yes we've seen a better calibre of player week in week out, had some memorable victories, but we never won silverware or set the world alight, never got in to a cup final, played at Wembley, whilst the like of wigan, hull, Birmingham have.

Has it been worthwhile to be just an also-ran..?

What has made being in the premiership worth it?

Is it the recognition when we do well? The satisfaction of seeing your team play the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd on a seasonal basis? Or seeing top players like Ronaldo, Lampard etc?

If it's those things then why are you supporting Fulham?

Is it being the underdog and seeing the likes of Berbatov's unquestionable quality in a Fulham top, no matter how frustrating he is?

We haven't grown much if at all in capacity stakes, despite the two processes of being in a position when we can..

Was it the chance to be able to go on the Europa league run? And be at a club which may have been able to compete more often? I remember a year or so ago when people said we were an established top ten side..

What are the moments that have made being in the premiership worthwhile?

Big Martin Jol

Yes, it's been worth it.

We've derived a lot of joy and entertainment and provoked one or two upsets in our time in the Premier League, and for a club of Fulham's size in a city with five other Premier League clubs (inc. Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea) it's hard to ask for more than that.

Would you rather we had spent twelve years in League One, and had never seen Ronaldo crossing the turf, Juventus being thrashed at the Cottage or Berbatov's instinctive first touch?

We live for those experiences. I'd love it if Fulham won the Premier League, but for a club of our means it's highly difficult - so thirteen years of top flight action is a pretty satisfying compromise.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Its not only 5 clubs in London. Two were - when QPR were up - same borough neighbours (give or take a few meters!!). Plus, two of the local rivals get regular Champions League and attendances of over 40000 (Chelsea and Arsenal!). How many other cities have that sort of rivalry and competition between clubs? Manchester only really have 2 - 3 at a serious push with Bolton, Liverpool 2, Birmingham 2. The other 3 "main" cities in the country.
We get the smallest attendence out of all the other rivalries as well. We've have done incredibly to last this long, when other bigger clubs have failed.

Plus, we WILL go the 13th :)
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

PeterFFC

The fact that we are in the best league in the world.
Seeing us play the likes of Man U, Chelsea, City and Arsenal, and having that odd upset.
Also we wouldn't have had the Uefa cup run, seeing us play Juventus and win.
It's the quality and excitement and upsets.

Putney

The odd win against the big sides, qualifying for a European competition THREE times, the quality of players who we were able to attract.

hovewhite

Its been great quality players europa cup run to the final cookie managing the club,hodgson.
Berba ,beating man u,arsenal,great years .

General

LillieBoy

Quote from: General on April 22, 2014, 10:39:10 PM
But why Fulham then?

Sorry but what do you mean?
I support Fulham cos I was brought up in Fulham.
They are My Team.  Win or lose.
Got no choice.
049:gif

Andy S

Why any club? It is true to say that without Mo we probably would not be here at all now. But we are and we have experienced a lot. Stuff some of those smaller clubs dream about. Stuff we dreamed about we have seen. The ground has been upgraded the facilities are now something to be proud of. If we retain our premier status then we have achieved much more than most similar sized clubs. We haven't wasted our money as there is now another generation of supporters coming up behind. It is something that only a supporter of a club can understand. We are still there. And wherever we are next season we will want to be there again

Peabody

I really do not understand your last point and Why not Fulham? Of course if all you are interested in is winning things, then your question becomes relevant.

Two Ton Ted

The simple answer to Brentford fans is We've been to Europe, and you've done fugg all...
Never ever bloody anything ever.

filham

The premiership years have been just great, we have seen the best teams in the country at the Cottage and have enjoyed some wonderful victories against world class teams, Man.U. and Juventus spring to mind.

I would really like some more please.

Why Fulham, when I was at school at Chelsea Central in Townmead Road if you were at all interested in football, and most of us were, it was a straight choice, Chelsea or Fulham and once made the deal was for life.