watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful

Started by Robbie, April 27, 2014, 02:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

Last season's relegated teams - QPR, Wigan and Reading are all in Playoff places.
For us, if we go down, we need a super quick clear out over the summer ... get rid of all the old and useless.

Lighthouse

Yes but we have needed these things for three seasons. Why do we think there is anything to be cheerful about wanting the same things we have needed for three years?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

shnlwswlkr

At least we might get a trip to Wembley that way!
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

Jamie88

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 27, 2014, 02:24:47 PM
Yes but we have needed these things for three seasons. Why do we think there is anything to be cheerful about wanting the same things we have needed for three years?

Because relegation might just be the punch in the face that the club have needed for those three seasons. It could make them wake up and smell the coffee and realise that if they want us to be a Premier League club and grow, then they will have to invest.

PokerMatt

Problem is there's no reason the clearout couldn't have happened in the PL.

We don't need to go down in order to make the changes. It, as Lighthouse says, has all been avoidable.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Logicalman

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

SP

Couldn't be bothered to talk to Khan when he was on the Riverside concourse again yesterday but he appears to me as someone who will take direct again to holt our decline.  Let's hope I'm right.

Aaron

I believe Khan will indeed be willing to spend big to get us back up.  He'll want to save face, protect his investment and presumably do the right thing.  But that's by no means any guarantee it will succeed.

When you look at the quality of the QPR squad for example, there's masses of quality in there and they're not exactly running away with it in the Championship.  Would we be expecting to put together a squad of anything like that (on paper anyways..) strength?  The bones of the Southampton promotion squad in 2012 are still the players that are doing the business for them in the Premier League right now and they're a better side than us by a margin. 

Our current squad would get torn to shreds in the Championship, we simply wouldn't feature.  A lot of that is down to age or whatever but the reality is that when we go down the quality of our squad is going to have to improve considerably in terms of age, depth and general quality relative to where it is now just to be able to hold our own in that league.   

It would have been a lot easier to do this while we had the pulling power of the Premier League as a carrot we could dangle, now we don't.