https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Supporting Fulham is heartbreaking

Started by NorfolkJim, April 28, 2014, 11:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorfolkJim

Quote from: MasterHaynes on April 29, 2014, 08:52:18 AM
Quote from: NorfolkJim on April 28, 2014, 11:44:50 AM
What is it with Fulham? How is it that so many times over the years we've managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory? So much "almost", "nearly" and "not quite".
When that second Hull goal went in I felt so nauseous that I honestly thought I was about to vomit. Even Forlans gut wrenching winner for Atletico didn't come close.
This is to say nothing of having to endure the disgusting attentions of the Brentford fans at LIverpool Street who insisted on singing their hatred of Fulham and their joy at our demise. What sad, pathetic, vile little people they are - they will make QPR look like the educated elite next season.
While I still hope that we can somehow avoid the drop, I feel Sunderland deserve to stay up - they've made such a fight of it, even beating Man City and Chelsea. They destroyed Cardiff while Cardiff did the double over us and we can't hang on to a 2 goal lead for 15 minutes.
On the plus side, Norwich will go down so I'll still have my 1 home game next season
On the negative side - with a half empty ground I can see Khan drawing up the plans for Fulham reach mark 2 as we speak.
I would really like to hear some forcefull commitment from Khan saying how we do not need to sell anyone we dont want to and how Felix will be leading the campaign next season come what may. It will be good playing for something rather than being a tourist attraction but I fear for our future.
Supporting Fulham is breaking my heart - I'm not sure it can take it any longer - see you at Stoke!
6am departure, home at half past midnight - thats a long time to brood over it

Plus - I am 50 on May 3 and have laid it down - no parties as I'm off to see my Fulham that day :Happy New Year 2:
Lets hope you get a fitting 50th birthday present from the team. Maybe we should Sing happy birthday Jim to you at Stoke.

Thanks for the kind sentiments -The best birthday gift I could wish for is 3 points and our rivals to have off days. Interesting interview with Stockdale in the EDP (Norfolks Metro!) today - most of the Norwich fans have given up - I'm not able to, not till its 100%. Still, Stoke is a miserable place to spend a landmark birthday so I'm really, really hoping we do get the win.

RaySmith

I really hope the team makes it a happy birthday for you Jim, and that we're all celebrating 3 points with you.

F(f)CUK

Quote from: Berserker on April 28, 2014, 05:24:01 PM
Quote from: Admin on April 28, 2014, 01:40:14 PM
It's the know factor that drives me mad with Fulham, I've had it for the last 30 years. You just 'know' what's going to happen with us, rather than us just going out there and getting the job done. Don't know if this just goes hand in hand with Fulhamish, or something every club suffers from.

Prime example, wasn't at the game Saturday, went 2-0 up, turn to a friend and said I know exactly whats going to happen here, and it did. No the first time it's happened, won't be the last.

I knew as well after our second goal. I sat back down, stayed there quietly not celebrating like others but watching the game intently, I felt tearful that we had a chance of staying up, but knew deep down we had used our subs and would concede, as there was no way  parker et al could last the 90 . Why oh why couldn't we just park the bus
I was with you - I could not believe that people were singing "stand up if you're staying up" after we went 2-0.  I stayed seated as I did not want to tempt fate.  Danny Baker used to say that someone should shout out "nothing can go wrong now!!!!" in that situation.  The only problem being that having watched Fulham live since 1974 I know that it normally does.

ffctom_b

Quote from: NorfolkJim on April 29, 2014, 10:37:13 AM
Quote from: MasterHaynes on April 29, 2014, 08:52:18 AM
What is it with Fulham? How is it that so many times over the years we've managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory? So much "almost", "nearly" and "not quite".
When that second Hull goal went in I felt so nauseous that I honestly thought I was about to vomit. Even Forlans gut wrenching winner for Atletico didn't come close.
This is to say nothing of having to endure the disgusting attentions of the Brentford fans at LIverpool Street who insisted on singing their hatred of Fulham and their joy at our demise. What sad, pathetic, vile little people they are - they will make QPR look like the educated elite next season.
While I still hope that we can somehow avoid the drop, I feel Sunderland deserve to stay up - they've made such a fight of it, even beating Man City and Chelsea. They destroyed Cardiff while Cardiff did the double over us and we can't hang on to a 2 goal lead for 15 minutes.
On the plus side, Norwich will go down so I'll still have my 1 home game next season
On the negative side - with a half empty ground I can see Khan drawing up the plans for Fulham reach mark 2 as we speak.
I would really like to hear some forcefull commitment from Khan saying how we do not need to sell anyone we dont want to and how Felix will be leading the campaign next season come what may. It will be good playing for something rather than being a tourist attraction but I fear for our future.
Supporting Fulham is breaking my heart - I'm not sure it can take it any longer - see you at Stoke!
6am departure, home at half past midnight - thats a long time to brood over it

Plus - I am 50 on May 3 and have laid it down - no parties as I'm off to see my Fulham that day :Happy New Year 2:
Lets hope you get a fitting 50th birthday present from the team. Maybe we should Sing happy birthday Jim to you at Stoke.

Thanks for the kind sentiments -The best birthday gift I could wish for is 3 points and our rivals to have off days. Interesting interview with Stockdale in the EDP (Norfolks Metro!) today - most of the Norwich fans have given up - I'm not able to, not till its 100%. Still, Stoke is a miserable place to spend a landmark birthday so I'm really, really hoping we do get the win.

As it happens it's my birthday also on Saturday, and I said to my mates weeks ago that it would be typical of Fulham to go and get relegated on my Birthday. so am hoping we can get the win we need instead, either way I will be getting plastered on Saturday night!
twitter @tombrowning1977
Blog ffctomb.blogspot.com

bill taylors apprentice

Over the years, when i think about it there seems few real highlights other than individual games.

I first remember the great run of games in 1966 culminating with an away win at Northampton T which helped us stay up and sent them down.

We screwed up the Div 3 championship when we lost at home to Preston NE who pipped us to the title.

Of course we got to the FA cup final the hard way in 75, then chucked it away.

The brief Best and Marsh circus in 77 was enjoyable for a short while.

We nearly blew promotion in 82 when we only needed to draw at home to Linclon City and just made it over the line, having only won 2 of our last 7.

I still can't bare to talk about 83 and that game at Derby Co. I was there.

Season 96/97 was fantastic but we again came up short of the Div 3 title because Jimmy Hill had lobbied the FL to change to goals scored instead of goal difference. Very Fulhamish!

And the rest I am sure you all know.
Doesn't seem much to shout about, but I have loved it in my own Fulhamish way.  

Nick Bateman

I felt the same.  However it would be Fulhamish if we now beat Stoke, not an impossible task, and then take Palace to the cleaners and survive as we did V Portsmouth so many years ago.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Kentish Gent

Always enjoyed reading your postings Jim (partially influenced by all my forebears coming from Great Yarmouth!), but I think the very eloquent thoughts of Bill Taylor's Apprentice sum up why we're all so hooked on Fulham, despite its unfailing ability to let us down! Win, lose or draw on Saturday, have a great birthday.

bill taylors apprentice

Oh! and when we won promotion to the Premier League it was wonderful but almost inevitable.

Moving out of the cottage and the worry of losing our home seemed like the price we had to pay for success. 

But when we returned, to me it matched any on field glory, even the Europa League run.

Tonywa

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on April 29, 2014, 03:56:57 PM
Over the years, when i think about it there seems few real highlights other than individual games.

I first remember the great run of games in 1966 culminating with an away win at Northampton T which helped us stay up and sent them down.

We screwed up the Div 3 championship when we lost at home to Preston NE who pipped us to the title.

Of course we got to the FA cup final the hard way in 75, then chucked it away.

The brief Best and Marsh circus in 77 was enjoyable for a short while.

We nearly blew promotion in 82 when we only needed to draw at home to Linclon City and just made it over the line, having only won 2 of our last 7.

I still can't bare to talk about 83 and that game at Derby Co. I was there.

Season 96/97 was fantastic but we again came up short of the Div 3 title because Jimmy Hill had lobbied the FL to change to goals scored instead of goal difference. Very Fulhamish!

And the rest I am sure you all know.
Doesn't seem much to shout about, but I have loved it in my own Fulhamish way. 

Sounds like we've had exactly the same experiences.  The thing is that we love it because it MATTERS to us. We all love this crazy little club which has caused me so much heartache over the years, yet has given me such immense pleasure and introduced me to so many people who have become close friends.   Wouldn't change it for anything and when we have those little periods where things go right and the results go our way then  we enjoy it even more because we've been through all the bad times as well. In fact I've never felt closer to the club and the supporters than on all those endless coach trips to Rochdale, Lincoln, Torquay etc. seeing  us play appallingly and get thrashed.  Truly the likes of Manchester United don't know what they're missing.  COYW

Travers Barney

Never ever shed a tear on defeat...but when the Iranian scored on Saturday it was Watership Down.

Ridiculous really but that's what it means.

Be thanking my Dad at his funeral next Tuesday for introducing me to Fulham FC.

coyw
We are the whites

Admin

Quote from: Travers Barney on April 29, 2014, 10:50:49 PM
Never ever shed a tear on defeat...but when the Iranian scored on Saturday it was Watership Down.

Ridiculous really but that's what it means.

Be thanking my Dad at his funeral next Tuesday for introducing me to Fulham FC.

coyw

Sorry to hear this.

crazycottager

Sounds like we've had exactly the same experiences.  The thing is that we love it because it MATTERS to us. We all love this crazy little club which has caused me so much heartache over the years, yet has given me such immense pleasure and introduced me to so many people who have become close friends.   Wouldn't change it for anything and when we have those little periods where things go right and the results go our way then  we enjoy it even more because we've been through all the bad times as well. In fact I've never felt closer to the club and the supporters than on all those endless coach trips to Rochdale, Lincoln, Torquay etc. seeing  us play appallingly and get thrashed.  Truly the likes of Manchester United don't know what they're missing.  COYW
[/quote]

Completely agree

Travers Barney

Good man Admin and thanks..chatted to your Dad and Bobby W the other night pre youth team game.
coyw
We are the whites