watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bob Hoskins dies at 71

Started by Nick Bateman, April 30, 2014, 02:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Sad loss for a real character of the English thespian world.

I remember first seeing Bob in children's TV and his ad-libs were really humerous, he seemed and was destined for greater things.

He will probably be remembered for starring in "Roger Rabbit" and "The Long Good Friday", neither film showed his real talent. 

At 71 that's a premature end to a gifted actor.
:Haynes The Maestro:
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

jarv

Really sad. I liked him in "Last orders" a very amusing film with a whole cast of ageing British greats. What was wrong with him?

TonyGilroy

He and John Thaw played Fulham fans in Thick As Thieves.

Lighthouse

The Long Good Friday DID show a remarkable acting talent. The end scene when nothing is said and all his feelings and frustrations are expressed with just his facial expressions has rarely if ever been bettered in any play or film.

A truly fine actor and talent that will be missed.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

Quote from: jarv on April 30, 2014, 02:16:19 PM
Really sad. I liked him in "Last orders" a very amusing film with a whole cast of ageing British greats. What was wrong with him?
He died of pneumonia but he's also had Parkinson's disease for last couple of years and that's why he retired.

The Equalizer

Nothing talented to see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9SG-zYvPjk

Only possibly the finest acting you'll ever see though.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

HatterDon

I love how he got into the business -- according to him, at least.

A guy from his neighborhood wanted to audition for a play. The audition was above a pub in a "rough area," and he asked Hoskins to go along as a bodyguard. Hoskins said "okay, as long as you buy the beer." So Hoskins is in the pub while his "client" is upstairs auditioning. The director comes down, sees Hoskins and asks HIM to audition. He gets the gig and the neighborhood acquaintance gets nothing.

Always one of my favorite "old actor" stories.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

nose

great actor, loved him in almost everything I saw him in. Particulalry liked pennies from heaven, the long good friday and made in dagenham

HatterDon

I have a weakness for gangster movies, and The Long Good Friday is the best I've ever seen.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Forever Fulham

"Who Killed Roger Rabbit?"   He had to act with unseen cartoon characters which were later edited into the frame.  Not an easy task. 

The lovable low brow.

Macedo

My fav of Bobs was MONA LISA..Superb in it he was.

cmg

Sad. Cracking actor and always seemed to be a good bloke.

'Long Good Friday' would be one of my favourite films. Not only an excellent story with mostly brilliant acting, but illuminated by some great dialogue:
     Harold: Alan found him dying. He'd been nailed to the floor.
     Jeff: When was this, then?
     Harold: Well, it must've been just after you saw him and just before Alan saw him. Otherwise, you'd have noticed, wouldn't you? I mean, a geezer nailed to the floor. A man of your education would definitely have spotted that, wouldn't he?

Also a record of a London which has now gone. Particularly Docklands, of all the changes that have occurred in this great city, nothing, to my mind has been as dramatic as the total and, seemingly, sudden disappearance of the Docks. Drinking on the terrace of pubs like The Angel or The Mayflower younger companions find it impossible to believe how the entire area (virtually from above Tower Bridge to Tilbury) was totally hemmed in by warehouses, wharves, cranes and ocean-going vessels. (I've been a delivery boy on lorries delivering goods to ships tied up where the planes now land at City Airport -makes me feel like a character from Charles Dickens)

And it's got Helen Mirren, too.

bobby01

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 30, 2014, 02:28:00 PM
The Long Good Friday DID show a remarkable acting talent. The end scene when nothing is said and all his feelings and frustrations are expressed with just his facial expressions has rarely if ever been bettered in any play or film.

A truly fine actor and talent that will be missed.

:plus one:
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Nick Bateman

Pennies From Heaven, much better TV series by Bob Hoskins than the poor American movie with Steve Martin.  Hoskins at his peak!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"