more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (01/05/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 01, 2014, 12:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Dutch chance for Fulham forward

Fulham striker Dino Islamovic is enjoying his trial spell at Groningen and believes he would fit in well at the Dutch Eredivisie club.

The 20-year-old Swedish player, who Fulham signed from Malmo, began his trial spell with Groningen last week.

"I'm looking for a club when my contract expires in Fulham. So I am looking around, seeing what options I have," Islamovic told Groningen TV.

"I think I'm a good finisher and play good combination football. I like how Groningen plays. Dutch teams play the same way, they keep the ball and play it around, waiting for a good opportunity."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/dutch-chance-for-fulham-forward-1723711.html?

WhiteJC

Aston Villa raise expectations by targetting Javier Hernandez and Lewis Holtby

Javier Hernandez is a shock transfer target for Aston Villa, who are set to raise their recruitment ambitions this summer in a bid to avoid another season of struggle.

The Manchester United striker, 25, is among players Villa manager Paul Lambert has identified as being attainable should the side stay up. Lewis Holtby is also a target.

Mexico forward Hernandez has had limited playing time at Old Trafford but would be a key signing for Villa, particularly with Christian Benteke out until October with an Achilles injury.

Hernandez has scored 59 goals in 150 appearances since joining United in 2010.

Lambert has worked with a tight budget for two seasons at Villa but has made clear in recent weeks that the purse-strings need to be loosened for the club to thrive.

Supporters have called for his head in recent matches but the Scot is confident he will remain in charge next season.

He chased 23-year-old midfielder Holtby, at Fulham on loan from Tottenham, in the January window but was unable to afford his wages, believed to be £70,000 per week.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2617209/Aston-Villa-raise-expectations-targetting-Javier-Hernandez-Lewis-Holtby.html#ixzz30SqfKY91
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Billy Jones on Fulham radar as defender's talks over new West Brom contract stall

Fulham are showing interest in West Bromwich Albion defender Billy Jones.

The 27-year-old is out of contract in the summer and has held talks over a new deal.

However, he has failed to reach an agreement over terms and although further talks are planned, Fulham are keen to make him an offer.

The Cottagers plan to bolster a leaky backline that has shipped 79 goals this season - the worst in the Premier League.

Jones has made 22 appearances for the Baggies this season and 71 in total since his switch from Preston North End in 2011.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2617277/Billy-Jones-Fulham-radar-defenders-talks-new-West-Brom-contract-stall.html#ixzz30SsSR2Y8
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Ten years today since Reading FC fans' special one Day

Reading v West Brom special one Day
Steve Sidwell celebrated special one Day ten years ago today by scoring a late winner against West Bromwich Albion.

Fans dedicated the day to the midfielder and his team-mate Dave Kitson by wearing orange and red wigs May 1, 2004.

Sidwell struck with just two minutes to play to clinch a 1-0 win against the promoted Baggies, ensuring a deserved three points for Steve Coppell's side.

However his team mate Kitson was less impressed by the day. He made his feelings clear before the game, saying: "I've spent all my time going to places like Ninian Park and The New Den just getting harassed about the colour of my hair to the point where you want to fight back so the last thing I need really is 15,000 people all in special one wigs drawing attention to it."

Fans in our gallery had a good time nonetheless including those from West Brom who had their own Viking Day.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/ten-years-today-reading-fc-7055850?

WhiteJC

Stoke City: Felix Magath's Fulham revival no surprise to Asmir Begovic

ASMIR Begovic, a student of the German game, knows just what to expect from a Felix Magath side as Stoke City prepare to take on relegation-haunted Fulham.

The 26-year-old keeper grew up watching Bundesliga football, and has worked as a pundit on the league, so he has not been surprised by Fulham's recent upsurge in form.

The Cottagers were rock bottom when Magath, below, took over in mid-February, but a run of three wins and a draw in their last seven games has lifted them out of the drop zone.

That's ahead of a trip to the Britannia Stadium on Saturday ... when Begovic hopes to put a big dent in their bid for survival. He said: "You know exactly what you're getting from Felix Magath. He organises his teams very well, makes sure the are hard to break down, and their work rate is high.

Read more: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-City-Felix-Magath-s-Fulham-revival-surprise/story-21038935-detail/story.html?#ixzz30Stlb0mI

WhiteJC

Inside The Britannia

Stoke City fan Joe Brown provides us with an insight into Saturday's game at the Britannia Stadium.

Looking back on the 2013/14 season to date, has the campaign met your expectations for Stoke?

I think so; we're on course for a top 10 finish and that was probably the best we could have hoped for. There's always a side that edges closer to the top six or seven teams and this year it looks like it's going to be Southampton. We finished 13th last season, and we'll definitely improve on that. We've played some nice football at times, so for this fan, it's been a relatively good season.

And what do you think you've learned this season – is there anything you'd do differently next term?

While Peter Crouch and Charlie Adam have chipped in with eight and six goals respectively, I still think we lack the threat of a natural goalscorer. That has to be a real aim of our summer transfer strategy. Mark Hughes is crafting a decent side, and with two or three key additions we could really push on.

Talk us through your last game, the 1-0 home loss against Tottenham Hotspur.

I thought we were unlucky, especially as we created the better chances. But that underlines my point of our need for a natural finisher. It would have been nice to have claimed a fifth home win on the bounce because the players have made the Britannia a very difficult place to visit recently. Already chasing the game as a result of Danny Rose's goal, when we had Ryan Shawcross sent off it was always going to be difficult. But had we finished the game with 11 men, I like to think we would have taken something.

Next up is Fulham at the Britannia – how do you see the game going and what's your assessment of the Whites as visiting opponents?

I have a soft spot for Fulham, I've been down to the Cottage many times over the years and I'd like to see them edge to safety. It's just been a very frustrating season for them, and they're fighting for their survival right now, which can make them a dangerous proposition. They've conceded a lot of goals this season and we'll be looking to exploit that. It might not be the first game on Match of the Day on Saturday night, but I think it will have some drama.

Which of your players have impressed you most this season? Who should we be wary of?

I'm a big fan of Steven Nzonzi – he's been a real driving influence in our midfield again this season. He keeps things simple, moves the ball well and is good at winning back possession. He's a key player and one that keeps the team ticking over. I think Marko Arnautovic has had a good first season with us; he's an unpredictable striker and a genuine threat in the final third – but more for his build-up play and clever movement. Asmir Begovic remains an important player, too.

You've highlighted the Stoke players to watch but, likewise, who of the Fulham squad do you think pose the biggest threat?

I do rate David Stockdale very highly, I think he's a fantastic keeper. Every time I've seen him play he's made key saves. Ashkan Dejagah has been scoring goals in recent weeks, so if he plays he'll be a threat. He's a player that's always looking to drive forward, so we'll have to be aware of those runs. Steve Sidwell has impressed, too, and arguably he's Fulham's danger man in front of goal.

You've highlighted key players of the present for Stoke, but who are the heroes of the past?

Stoke heroes don't get much bigger than Stanley Matthews, who was one of the greatest players to ever play the game. The 'Wizard of the Dribble' was also the first winner of the European Footballer of the Year – picking up the award in 1956. He had 19 seasons in total with us, either side of a memorable spell at Blackpool. World Cup-winning goalkeeper Gordon Banks is also a big favourite, while some of my personal heroes include Mark Stein and Peter Thorne.

Can you recommend a good place for Fulham fans to grab a pint before the game?

The Glebe is always a place recommended to away fans; it's a short walk from the train station and near the town hall. Usually, visiting supporters tend to go to the Student Union bar or the Terrace.

For those Fulham fans making the trip to the Britannia, what are the best things about visiting Stoke's home?

I've been to a lot of away grounds, and I believe the atmosphere at the Britannia is one of the best. It has its quiet moments but, on the whole, I think it's one of the noisiest stadiums. They also do a decent enough pie so, all in all, it's a good day out.

Score prediction?

I don't think there'll be much separating the two sides, and I think it really could go either way. I'll go with my heart and say 2-1 to Stoke.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/01/inside-the-britannia?

WhiteJC

FA Youth Cup Tickets

Steve Wigley's Under-18s go into Bank Holiday Monday's FA Youth Cup Final Second Leg with a 3-2 lead over Chelsea.

You could be there to cheer them on as they go in search an historic victory, with tickets priced at just £5 for adults and £3 for concessions.

Tickets are no longer available to buy online but can still be purchased by calling 0843 208 1234 until 5pm on Friday 2nd May.
Tickets will continue to be sold in person from the Ticket Office until midday on Saturday 3rd May.

This fixture is ALL TICKET and no tickets will be available to purchase on the day. All tickets must be collected from the Craven Cottage Ticket Office before midday on Saturday 3rd May.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/01/fa-youth-cup-tickets?

WhiteJC

Danny Higginbotham: Stoke will help send Fulham down

"A second yellow in the same game was the punishment for Ryan Shawcross last week and so he misses tomorrow's game against Fulham.

That's harsh on Ryan because he looked as though he was about to play every minute of every game this season until booked for that challenge on Rose.

I know a bit about how he feels because about 12 years ago I missed just one game one season after picking up five yellows.

Believe it or not, that was unusual for me as a defender and I was never suspended since then.

Read more: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Danny-Higginbotham-Stoke-help-send-Fulham/story-21042372-detail/story.html?#ixzz30SvNX4zX

WhiteJC

Felix Magath: "I'm here to build a team"

Fulham manager Felix Magath has reiterated that he plans to stay at the club for the long-term, even if the Whites are, as expected, relegated from the Premier League this season.

Magath said that his players must work on their mental issues for their final two big games of the season, but that the future is bright with the prospects the club has in the youth team.

"It's a wonderful club which has problems at the moment with the first team," he said in his pre-Stoke City press conference. "We have a good youth academy. I'm here to build a team.

"The players know how to kick, but it's always a question of mentality. That is what we've developed. We're fighting to stay in the league."

Fulham are 19th in the Premier League, one point away from Norwich City in 17th.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/magath-im-here-to-build-a-team_152762.html

WhiteJC

What's left

It had to happen sometime. Here's my look at what's left. I appreciate that this is all conjecture, but for my own curiosity I wanted to see everything laid out.

Thoughts return to the previous Great Escape, at which point I think we were at about 20/1 to stay up with three games left. It *feels* as if that's about right now, in so far as we have a slim chance but no more. Football betting tips are probably worth investigating for another perspective

I would guess that five teams are still in the mix. These are they:

ASTON VILLA, P35, 35 Pts, -17 GD, Last 6 games: 1 pt, remaining fixtures: 3/5 Hull H; 7/5 Man City A; 11/5 Tottenham A

It's so hard to predict games at this point in the season, but Villa are in dire form and have a tough run in. Hull at home is vital. There is a good chance they could end the season on 35 points, which means that they're extremely vulnerable. You would rather have these points on the board, and I'm sure they'll pick up a point somewhere, but we always think about trapdoor teams and this year's looks like being Villa.

SUNDERLAND, P35, 32 Pts, -20 GD, Last 6: 7 pts: 3/5 Man United A; 7/5 West Brom H; 11/5 Swansea H

Are playing with belief now. Those 7 points in the last six games were all earned in the last three matches. They might be playing above themselves, but momentum is everything at this point in the season, or at least it can feel that way. They have two very winnable games left, too. The problem for Fulham then is not just getting to 35 points, but ensuring that three other teams are still beneath us. And that's the big thing. Sunderland really ought to get to at least 35 now. Villa, with a single draw, will be up to 36.

NORWICH, P36, 32 Pts, -32 GD, Last 6: 3 pts: 4/5 Chelsea A; 11/5 Arsenal H

Everyone thinks they are doomed and they more than likely are. You never know but these are awkward games and Norwich haven't really shown enough to suggest that they might be able to get the points they will need.

FULHAM, P36, 31 Pts, -42 GD, Last 6: 7 pts: 3/5 Stoke A; 11/5 Crystal Palace H

The trouble here is that Sunderland and Villa have a much better goal difference and both will more than likely get at least to 35 points. In this sense the chances are that a win and a draw won't be enough. Fulham need to win both remaining games, and even that won't be enough if Villa or Sunderland show any form.

CARDIFF, P36, 30 Pts, -38 GD, Last 6: 5 pts: 3/5 Newcastle A; 11/5 Chelsea H

In the same boat as Fulham really.

So yes, the Hull draw probably doomed us, didn't it?

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/whats-left/?

WhiteJC

Fulham star Sidwell doubtful for Stoke showdown

Whites wait on top scorer ahead of trip to Britannia Stadium

Fulham are sweating on the fitness of top scorer Steve Sidwell ahead of Saturday's showdown at Stoke City.

The midfielder, who has netted eight times this season, limped out of last weekend's draw with Hull City and is a doubt for the trip to the Britannia Stadium.

Felix Magath is boosted by the return of Greek striker Kostas Mitroglou after he stepped up his recovery from a knee injury in training this week.

However, Magath remained coy whether the 25-year-old, who has played just twice since his £11million January move from Olympiakos, will be included in the squad.

"It seems that the team is quite fit, except Steve Sidwell," said the Craven Cottage chief. "There is a question for Saturday but the rest of the team is training and they are fine.

"There is a chance [he will play]. He has not trained until now but maybe he can start today and we have hope that he will join us on Saturday. But at the moment there is a question."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-star-sidwell-doubtful-stoke-7059422?

WhiteJC

Only Six Points Needed!

It`s simple, two games and six points and we should be safe!

It seems so easy when you think of it like that but when you consider how our season has gone, two wins on the bounce has been a rarity.

Nevertheless, the last time we were in such dire straits we managed it and at the heart of our defence that time was a certain Brede Hangeland.

The Norwegian centre-back is a veteran of such traumas and Brede reckons we can pull it off again this season, remarking to the media ahead of difficult fixtures against Stoke (a) and Crystal Palace (h),

"I think we need to win the last two. That is clear for everyone to see."

"Is that impossible? No, it is far from impossible. Of course we can do it and we will give it everything."

"It is all about doing the business this week and the next week and hoping that will be enough."

"It is a massive game next week and we have to win that."

What is the verdict folks; can we pull off the improbable (again)?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=357777#ixzz30SwxO4iM

WhiteJC

Asking (Begging) for Assistance!

I`ve not sure I`m happy doing this and I certainly hope I never have to do it again!

However, needs must!

With our Premier League future at stake desperate measures are called for. With two fixtures left, against Stoke (a) and Crystal Palace (h), our survival in the Premier League might rely on assistance from elsewhere.

To this effect I`m asking our near-neighbours Chelsea, to forget about any run-ins we`ve had in the past and to ensure they beat Norwich City this Sunday.

Now I know we tend to dislike them more than they dislike us but if Norwich can be beaten then it`d go a long way to helping us stay in the Premier League.

How about it Chelsea?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=357778#ixzz30SxScl3Z

WhiteJC

Felix Magath confirms Mitroglou back for Stoke clash but Sidwell a doubt for Fulham
FELIX MAGATH has confirmed Greek striker Kostas Mitroglou is ready to return for Fulham but Steve Sidwell could be missing for their crunch clash against Stoke.

The 26-year-old has only played twice for the Cottagers since joining in January  for £12m, having struggled for fitness with a knee injury.

But Magath has revealed the Greek could play a role against the Potters on Saturday, as the West London side look to bounceback from their  disappointing 2-2 draw against Hull last week.

"He has trained with us for the whole week, he is able to join us (at Stoke)," Magath said.

"Fully fit? I don't know but he is ready to join us."

Fulham looked to have sealed an all important win against the Tigers at the KC Stadium, only to surrender a two goal lead late on.

"We had control over the game and there was maybe one situation where we weren't careful enough, I had a feeling  that Saturday the players were excited for the result , for the crowd and the feeling to lead," Magath said on the result.

"It was clear the team wanted to play more offensively, but it would have been better to avoid the goals."

One player who may have to sit out the weekend fixture is Steve Sidwell, who hasn't trained ths week but still has a chance of making the team according to Magath.

"There is a chance, but he hasn't trained up until now but maybe he can start today," the German coach added.

"We have hope that he will join us on Saturday."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/376914/Felix-Magath-confirms-Mitroglou-back-for-Stoke-clash-but-Sidwell-a-doubt-for-Fulham

General

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 01, 2014, 01:23:55 PM

Asking (Begging) for Assistance!

I`ve not sure I`m happy doing this and I certainly hope I never have to do it again!

However, needs must!

With our Premier League future at stake desperate measures are called for. With two fixtures left, against Stoke (a) and Crystal Palace (h), our survival in the Premier League might rely on assistance from elsewhere.

To this effect I`m asking our near-neighbours Chelsea, to forget about any run-ins we`ve had in the past and to ensure they beat Norwich City this Sunday.

Now I know we tend to dislike them more than they dislike us but if Norwich can be beaten then it`d go a long way to helping us stay in the Premier League.

How about it Chelsea?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=357778#ixzz30SxScl3Z

This is an odd one, because even if we jump over Norwich we're still in the relegation places. We need Villa and Norwich to lose all of their remaining games and we have to win both of ours in order to stay up..

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 01, 2014, 01:25:45 PM

Felix Magath confirms Mitroglou back for Stoke clash but Sidwell a doubt for Fulham
FELIX MAGATH has confirmed Greek striker Kostas Mitroglou is ready to return for Fulham but Steve Sidwell could be missing for their crunch clash against Stoke.

The 26-year-old has only played twice for the Cottagers since joining in January  for £12m, having struggled for fitness with a knee injury.

But Magath has revealed the Greek could play a role against the Potters on Saturday, as the West London side look to bounceback from their  disappointing 2-2 draw against Hull last week.

"He has trained with us for the whole week, he is able to join us (at Stoke)," Magath said.

"Fully fit? I don't know but he is ready to join us."

Fulham looked to have sealed an all important win against the Tigers at the KC Stadium, only to surrender a two goal lead late on.

"We had control over the game and there was maybe one situation where we weren't careful enough, I had a feeling  that Saturday the players were excited for the result , for the crowd and the feeling to lead," Magath said on the result.

"It was clear the team wanted to play more offensively, but it would have been better to avoid the goals."

One player who may have to sit out the weekend fixture is Steve Sidwell, who hasn't trained ths week but still has a chance of making the team according to Magath.

"There is a chance, but he hasn't trained up until now but maybe he can start today," the German coach added.

"We have hope that he will join us on Saturday."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/376914/Felix-Magath-confirms-Mitroglou-back-for-Stoke-clash-but-Sidwell-a-doubt-for-Fulham

A draw at the KC Stadium? More top class reporting from the Star
Never ever bloody anything ever.