watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mark hughes' comments

Started by mullers, May 03, 2014, 07:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mullers

He said that he knew Fulham were looking for new owners and so he left. Everyone else at the club denied this. In fairness Hughes didn't reveal this at the time but we have obviously been heading in one direction ever since. Also Jol's attitude was as unforgivable as it was unexpected.

I trust Khan, I don't think he'll cut us adrift, so - go again shall we?

Martinsback

We owe Hughes an apology...

MJG

Logicalman

Quote from: mullers on May 03, 2014, 07:31:59 PM
He said that he knew Fulham were looking for new owners and so he left. Everyone else at the club denied this. In fairness Hughes didn't reveal this at the time but we have obviously been heading in one direction ever since. Also Jol's attitude was as unforgivable as it was unexpected.

Yeah, so did I know that. Easy to say after the fact isn't it?

Seriously, what success has this man had in management? He did well for Wales, but still couldn't qualify for any majore competitions, he did really well at Blackburn, by building a dirty side (perhaps not unlike the club he currently resides at), went to City, spent all their money and got sacked, after 6 months of nobody wanting him, took over from Roys successful side, and did nothing to improve it, leaving a year later. Then we went on to QPR and totally ruined their club finally getting sacked, and then another 6 months when nobody wanted him to take over at Stoke, again a well sustained Prem side made by Pulis, but as dirty as the Blackburn side he created. I will be interested to see what he does for the next season and his successes at Stoke. Perhaps my view of him will change, but I'm not convinced, as he has had many chances to shine in his managerial career, being in charge of 5 Prem sides, and having no great success at any. Great footballer of his time, cannot take that away from him, but then again, so were Dalgliesh and Shearer, and I wouldn't want them in charge at the Cottage either.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Cravenawin

Quote from: Logicalman on May 03, 2014, 08:13:23 PM

Seriously, what success has this man had in management? He did well for Wales, but still couldn't qualify for any majore competitions, he did really well at Blackburn, by building a dirty side (perhaps not unlike the club he currently resides at), went to City, spent all their money and got sacked, after 6 months of nobody wanting him, took over from Roys successful side, and did nothing to improve it, leaving a year later. Then we went on to QPR and totally ruined their club finally getting sacked, and then another 6 months when nobody wanted him to take over at Stoke, again a well sustained Prem side made by Pulis, but as dirty as the Blackburn side he created. I will be interested to see what he does for the next season and his successes at Stoke. Perhaps my view of him will change, but I'm not convinced, as he has had many chances to shine in his managerial career, being in charge of 5 Prem sides, and having no great success at any. Great footballer of his time, cannot take that away from him, but then again, so were Dalgliesh and Shearer, and I wouldn't want them in charge at the Cottage either.

Only got us to 8th in his only year in charge. Oh what we'd give for that now.

Logicalman

Quote from: Cravenawin on May 03, 2014, 08:18:48 PM

Only got us to 8th in his only year in charge. Oh what we'd give for that now.

Perhaps so, but with an inherited team that had just finished 12th and reached a European final. Even LS couldn't have messed that one up!

Perhaps if he had bothered to plan for the following season we might have started the rebuilding process earlier, but he just needed a club to get back into the Prem management ladder, as shown by his jumping ship after one season. I seriously don't believe he planned to stay more than a year, and was hoping for the Villa position when he jumped.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

He should not have left us  he could have had  another couple of good years  and  so could we have,  seen some nice football  (Away football was excellent during his year ) and he would now be the manager of Manchester United.

Missed opportunity all round ......................... but then I would say that,  I liked him and I think he is a good manager who made a bad decision.

The Rock

At the time I did not particularly like nor dislike him. I thought he did a pretty good job. His comments after the fact ringing true now may or may not have occurred. There was uncertainty, and uncertainty breeds volatility which most like to avoid. So he moved on. He had no idea who'd buy the club did he? If he knew it was Kahn he'd probably have stayed if he thought he had ambition. What is most important, he proved that he is not a friend of the club. That's not to say an enemy, but just not faithful and that is a rarity in this day and age anyway. Good luck to him but better luck to us going fwd.

Nero

so he left as we didn't have any ambition but where looking to sell, that worked well mark as we now have the 7th richest owner in the premier league, and probably the richest in the championship,  who would probably back you in the transfer market after you meet him, but you decided that QPR and Stoke would be better destinations

Me-ate-Live, innit??

THIS IS WHAT HE REALLY SAID ............

Mark Hughes: I will NOT cry for Fulham
By: John WraggPublished: Sat, May 3, 2014
mark hughesMark Hughes walked out on Fulham citing the club's lack of ambition

Hughes, who has had a successful debut season as Stoke manager, had one year in charge at Fulham and took them to eighth in 2010-11. But then he quit saying the club lacked ambition.

He admits that, with hindsight, it was a hasty decision and he got it wrong - but it will not stop him celebrating if Stoke win today and equal club history in the process.

"When I was at Fulham as manager I couldn't commit to another three years," said Hughes. "There was talk of a new owner - which I knew about - and having been manager at Manchester City when a new owner came in I didn't want to go through that situation again.

"That Fulham team was ageing and it needed a lot of investment just to stand still. Not long after I'd gone Fulham were spending £10million on a striker - so maybe I should have stayed. Maybe with hindsight it was too soon for me to leave.

"But you make decisions based on the situation at that time and I thought it was the right one.

"I have a lot of time for Fulham. It was a good season there, I've no grudge against them and a lot of people I worked with are still there doing a great job. But if we win and beat Fulham I'll celebrate as normal. It's our last home game and we want to put on a performance for our fans.

"We're looking to get the job done for ourselves. That's our motivation and we've got the opportunity against Fulham.

"If we finish in the top half, I'll be happy with that. A lot of people were asking at the start of the season whether we would stay in the league.But we've done it quite comfortably."

Stoke's record Premier League points total is 47 and they will match that by winning today, with one more game left to set a new record.  Hughes also wants Stoke to finish in the top 10 for the first time, building on the work Tony Pulis did at the club and fashioning things his way in the process.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

He was as dirty as the teams he's created.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

mullers

I was really thinking about the time it took to sort the club out if those in charge knew about it 1n 2011 at the latest. And I'm surprised people are still hung up about Hughes who didn't really do any harm to the club. Remember Jol was first choice and if Ajax had let him go he would have been here a year earlier. Apart from those who didn't get rid of him sooner Jol takes most of the blame in my book.