watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Relrgation from the top division

Started by The Swan, May 03, 2014, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

We got relegated from Division 1 in 1968, from Div 2 in 1969, Promoted to Div 2 in 1971, relegated from Div 2 in 1980,
promoted to Div 2 in 1982, relegated from Div 2 in 1986, It was not until 1997 that we got promoted to Div 2,  we got promoted to Div 1 in  1999 and then promoted to the Premier league in 2001.
The reason I list our promotions and relegations is to show how difficult it is to bounce straight back.
In the early years Fulham never had any money but managed to get a few promotions.
With the help of Mr Fayed we had a good stay in the Prem division.
Will our current  owner give us the money to bounce straight back up.
The Swan

grandad

I don´t think it is a good thing to bounce right back. A couple of seasons to build a new squad that will get us back up & stay there for another 13 seasons will suit me. I wouldn´t want us to be a yo yo club.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Reznor

Quote from: grandad on May 03, 2014, 09:19:40 PM
I don´t think it is a good thing to bounce right back. A couple of seasons to build a new squad that will get us back up & stay there for another 13 seasons will suit me. I wouldn´t want us to be a yo yo club.

This is spot on. I think it is going to take 2 or 3 years to change this mess of a squad into a unit that can win promotion back to the Premiership and then with 3 or 4 good signings, stay there.

tommy

I think with the youngsters we have we'll be in the top 6 next season and will hopefully bounce straight back up. One year will give us enough time to get rid of all the dead wood and will also give our youngsters the experience they need.

Baszab

God The Mechanic

You really cannot compare today's football to half a century ago.

Relegation isn't ideal, but it was made almost necessary in order to clear out the dross that has seemingly infested the club.  It's not just a bit of surface damage, there's deep rooted issues in he first team that needs to get sorted.  It's gonna take effort and maybe a bit more time that we'd like, but we need to be preparing an actual plan to get promoted.  We need to start to assemble a team again, not just a collection of occasionally gifted players.  A squad that complements each other, not showcases weaknesses and ignores strengths.