Started by Dodgin, May 04, 2014, 10:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgin

terryr

What did he say?
Was he smug?
Did he care?

ron

He probably only remembers the Cottage as a set of revolving doors....

DukeTyrion

I still think he would have kept us up, or at least left us in a better position ready for next season.

General

What did he say?

General

Will be interesting as to what happens when the clean out is over as to hear what people actually thought of what really happened at the club.

AlexH

Interesting that he's saying we need to promote the young players - exactly as he was trying to do just before he was shown the door. We definitely need a few decent mid-20s to go with a few old heads and mix with our youth lot.

bucksfulham

Said we lacked energy..between the lines he was saying the squad's too old.

Wingnut

Felt things were moving in the right direction when he was let go. Says that we need to bring in younger players, i.e. that squad is too old.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Tonywa

Not sure he would have kept us up, though, in passages,  that home game against Liverpool was probably as well as we played all season, but I think he would have been good to have around to nurture the younger players who may find their way into the first team next season.

Apprentice to the Maestro

We might have had better results against West Brom. and Cardiff and that might have been enough to  keep us up.

alfie

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on May 04, 2014, 11:07:19 PM
We might have had better results against West Brom. and Cardiff and that might have been enough to  keep us up.

we might not have as well.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: alfie on May 05, 2014, 12:35:40 AM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on May 04, 2014, 11:07:19 PM

we might not have as well.

Of course but I seem to recall that most were particularly disappointed with those performances and the team selections after Rene's against Man. Utd. and Liverpool.

Deanothefulhamfan

Imo sacking RM was a disgrace.... we were starting to play good football under him after he had got his players, I think we would have beat west brom away and certainly done a lot better against Cardiff, we certainly would have battled better under him than we did with Magath.... that being said we may not have won our home games, and may not have stayed up. Perhaps he should never have been hired, but he certainly should never have been sacked after giving him the whole of Janaury to buy his players.

Really liked the guy, and hope he gets a chance at another club

MJG

I liked Rene and we had 2 decent performances in his last two game....but even playing ultra defensive we still let in 5 goals in those two games.

Artful Dodger

To be fair to RM he was reasonably fair to Fulham given the way we treated him. Asked if he thought he would have kept us up, he said that he couldn't guarantee it but he felt things were going in the right direction (he conveniently didn't mention Sheff Utd). He did basically say the team were too old and slow and by not closing down players quickly enough it led to goals especially from deflections which we seemed to suffer a lot this year.

Again, he came across as a genuinely good guy and I wish we had stuck with him having given him the job.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Craven Mad

For me, the only excuse for sacking Rene was if Felix kept us up. The image our club now has is one that chops and changes managers,

I liked Rene. Results weren't good enough and I didn't think he'd keep us in the prem, but I felt happy with him at the helm and was confident about his ability to shape the team in the championship. Performances were unquestionably better, and he had a good personality, he gave younger players a chance, and he just seemed to be a good "fit" for the club.

Enormously disappointed that we won't have him next year. However, not sure it would be a good idea to bring him back; embarrassing for the club and not sure how well the players could respect him.

ffc73

He seemed a nice guy and talked a good talk.

He would not have kept us up & bringing Wilkins in to 'assist' him was a disaster

I would have sacked him the night of the Sheffield United defeat/debacle

Felix was a Khan's gamble that did not work.

I am still not convinced by Felix but I think he is Khan's appointment and Felix will be given the opportunity to re-build.  Cue Felix being sacked next week.....

ScalleysDad

That word "fit" comes up again and again. Jol certainly didn't and Hughes struggled with the concept so what do we want? Rene was the type of nice guy maverick who didn't mind getting drowned in a monsoon to applaud the fans. We played some decent football at times and the bench started to have the young guns on it that we had been calling for. Some of them ended up on the pitch. However Hull away and Sheff U were monumental disasters. Only the yet to be written book will tell if Curbs and Wilkins can carry the blame for those. We in the Enclave were embracing relegation ages ago, even under Rene, but were fully prepared to sign up again and follow 'the young lions' as we ripped the Championship apart. His interview came across as an honest appraisal of the mess we got into and why the slide was so unstoppable. So we have an honest, likeable bloke who might have been 'the fit'. For my tuppence worth some of the coaching did not seem to improving some of our play but as we now know some of the squad just aren't that good. Who knows who we will end up ....... oh yeah Khan might but Magath is looking less like that fit than Rene ever did. Names go round and round in my head and in house I can only think of Kit Symons plus one or Malky Mackay although I would be concerned as to why he was not snapped up. Same goes for Steve Clarke. Contracts and disputes perhaps?

Back to the wallpapering.

Forever Fulham

I really liked Rene and also felt he wasn't given enough time.  I'll never understand why he was saddled with those other two.  He was given manager responsibilities, but not the title.  Bizarre.