watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tony Gale made a good point in commentary

Started by Nick Bateman, May 04, 2014, 02:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Tony Gale (ex-Fulham) made a very good observation doing the commentary for Sky yesterday.

He pointed out that Mark Hughes and sometimes Mark Bowen, the Stoke manager and coach were both off their benches at various times, shouting instructions or appeals to the ref (who had a decent game I add), while Magath and his team sat throughout ROOTED to the bench.

Considering Stoke had little to play for and Fulham everything, how strange our manager shows absolutely no motivation and gives no inspiration to the players on the pitch.

Another reason to DUMP Magath, and soon!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

madffc

I Have noticed this in other games and it hadn't really bothered me when we won those back to back games but i must admit i do prefer to see a manager atleast every now and then standing and perhaps giving orders..

The Rock

I heard the commentators talking about that during the match as well. This joins a long list of questionable occurrences that occurred this season. Perhaps it's his style, but I'd personally rather see the gaffer more involved. Roy had some of those moments, except he looked assured that he'd done every he could do. Felix just looked demoralised more than anything, but perhaps that's his general posture as well. Perhaps not.

Nero

Jol used to sit on the bench and it annoyed me, Rene started standing and shouting then Wilkins and Curbs joined and he just sat on the bench. I would also like a manger that balls and scream at the players to get in position etc,
Felix said at against Hull the player where trying to score a third instead of defending why the hell didn't he get off his arse and make that point instead of watching it unfold in front of him.

Twig

Felix has not impressed me, not so much for his static style on the bench, but for odd team selections and sometimes unfathomable substitutions.  He was at it again yesterday, a mate of mine who is a knowledgeable QPR fan with a soft spot for FFC (bizarre I know) watched the match and commented that he just could not see any shape or cohesion to the team and formation Magath put out.

Logicalman

One minor correction Nick, Tony mentioned that the Stoke bench were on their feet almost all the game, and that Felix didn't.

It does show, perhaps, a difference in management styles, but I have never yet seen a Prem manager sit down as much, and show no passion at all.
Roy used to sit down if all was going well, but jiggled when we scored, but if things were going bad, he was up there with the rest of them, until he became too angery, then he would sit down and as has been seen at WBA bang his head!! LOL

For me, Felix displays an air of "I've done my job - now its up to the players" and just sits there with a silly grin on his face (perhaps its a weird grimace) - or perhaps he's just stunned with the stupidity of his own tactics and line-ups.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

madffc

Even when roy sat down i seem to remember (perhaps not very well) that ray would be up shouting and i guess motivating the players..

doe's any of the current coaching staff do that?

Pluto

I can't stand it when he does this - it was like watching Jol's head in hands moment all over again. Certainly another reason to want him out.

However, for me, to play Burn at right back and to leave him there for 60 minutes is indefensible and a sackable offence alone. There is absolutely no excuse for doing something that stupid.

ToodlesMcToot

Perhaps Magath already understood his and the team's fate. Seemed pretty resigned to the worst from the start.

I asked myself, upon see who was out there playing and in which positions:

Why would a manager who had to win put Bent out there when he knows full well we have more capable and more motivated, healthy options on the bench?

Why would a manager who had to win start a left footed, left sided, inexperience at PL level CB in at right back when he had two healthy right footed options available to him?

Why would a manager who had to win keep someone [Diarra] who was having arguably his worst game as a Fulham player and who, for all intents and purposes,  was a gimp beyond 50 minutes let said player continue on until almost the 75th minute as basically a passenger in the game?

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like, but there is plenty evidence to suggest that Magath didn't really worry himself too much with winning yesterday.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

grandad

For goodness sake. The manager, coaches & players spend a whole week dealing with in game tactics. It doesn´t need a manager jumping around like a lunatic to signal a change. I prefer to watch a game not keep my eyes glued on the technical area. Give the bloke a break as he probably has worn himself out cycling to & from work.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Logicalman

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on May 04, 2014, 03:50:00 PM
Perhaps Magath already understood his and the team's fate. Seemed pretty resigned to the worst from the start.

I asked myself, upon see who was out there playing and in which positions:

Why would a manager who had to win put Bent out there when he knows full well we have more capable and more motivated, healthy options on the bench?

Why would a manager who had to win start a left footed, left sided, inexperience at PL level CB in at right back when he had two healthy right footed options available to him?

Why would a manager who had to win keep someone [Diarra] who was having arguably his worst game as a Fulham player and who, for all intents and purposes,  was a gimp beyond 50 minutes let said player continue on until almost the 75th minute as basically a passenger in the game?

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like, but there is plenty evidence to suggest that Magath didn't really worry himself too much with winning yesterday.

Same thing went through my mind, I wondered if he just decided to pull the trap-door leaver himself, rather than waiting for the drop next week, perhaps. There can be no other explanation for his choices, and as far as I'm concerned, the sooner he goes, and takes AM with him, the better.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

RaySmith

We should have beaten Hull, and played well -and if it wasn't for a fluke goal, then falling apart in the closing minutes, we would have won almost certainly.

I think that did for Magath mentally, and the players confidence.

That line up was bizarre, as have other of his selections - but smacks of desperation, I suppose.

But I'm not sure he is the right manager for Fulham, specially in the Championship - I think we need a manager with experience of that league.

alfie

To be honest Roy just used to stand there rubbing is chin, i can't say i saw him having a go at the players very much, and Jol although did not do very much hardly ever sat down. Alex Ferguson was another one who hardly went into the tech area, spent virtually the whole game sat down.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

FPT

No, no, no, no, no.

I hate seeing managers roaring on the touch line. I like to see a calm manager, who has confidence in what he's done on the training ground all week. I like a manager who's communication to his players on the pitch is a thumbs up, or pull them to the side in a break and tell them what they're not doing right.

Roberto Martinez is the perfect manager in terms of his manner on the pitch.

*I do however, like an animated, crazy (almost) manager. Diego Simeone has a work out on the touchline, whereas a Tony Pulis is just a yella.

jarv

I watched the Everton game and Martinez was "screaming" at his players! Quite often.

The difference for Roy was, in Murphy, he had a leader on the pitch. Alec Stock said the same about Mullery. A rough quote from the memory banks...." When the team goes out on the pitch, Alan Mullery takes over."      And didn't he just!!!

Berserker

To be honest I think we have missed a leader on the pitch since Murph left
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Nero

Quote from: FPT on May 04, 2014, 05:43:38 PM
No, no, no, no, no.

I hate seeing managers roaring on the touch line. I like to see a calm manager, who has confidence in what he's done on the training ground all week. I like a manager who's communication to his players on the pitch is a thumbs up, or pull them to the side in a break and tell them what they're not doing right.

*I do however, like an animated, crazy (almost) manager. Diego Simeone has a work out on the touchline, whereas a Tony Pulis is just a yella.

So when the team is 2-0 up and looking for a third instead of defending like he said after the Hull game, he sat there and watched it happen, so you're happy with that instead of him getting off arse and telling the players to defend and look for the counter

FPT

Quote from: Nero on May 04, 2014, 09:18:36 PM
Quote from: FPT on May 04, 2014, 05:43:38 PM
No, no, no, no, no.

So when the team is 2-0 up and looking for a third instead of defending like he said after the Hull game, he sat there and watched it happen, so you're happy with that instead of him getting off arse and telling the players to defend and look for the counter

You've read what I have to say on the matter. Shouting and screaming is a Neanderthal way of managing your players, "If I shout and scream, someone will listen." You need to respect every single one of your players, for them to respect you. As I say, if you need to say something to someone, you call them over in a break of play, tell them your thoughts, and tell them to pass on the message. It's a much more calming, comfortable way of working things in football.

Never shout, in my opinion.

Arthur

If managing from the technical area is so influential, how could a Hughes-led team amass as few as the 4 points from 13 games that QPR had when he was sacked at the start of last season?

Or was it that QPR, like us, were simply not good enough and that touchline coaching is not as much of a game-changer as the OP implies?