News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

It's been just over 24 hours... Here's my thoughts on the whole situation.

Started by FPT, May 04, 2014, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

We deserve this. On reflection on a whole season, we've barely showed intent when attacking or quality when defending. We're just 6 goals conceded from *that* Derby season... We've been disorganised, with no clear philosophy, no clear guidance and no clear quality. Our team hasn't looked hungry and our side has lacked so much over a 38 game season.

Personally, I'd like to see us hold the football more, you can't concede when you have the ball... Our defence gets no chance to organise it's self if they're just being thrown attack, after attack, after attack... If you keep a clean sheet, you can't use, possession can be used defensively as well as offensively. If you keep 65% possession weekly, your opponents will be limited to less chances. Just to add, I'm not saying possession football leads to more dangerous chances, but if you manipulate the ball vertically, and horizontally, the chances will come and the gaps will form. When was the last time you watched Fulham and thought, "Wow, we're really keeping hold of the ball superbly today."

This comes onto my next point, if you follow me on Twitter, you'll know I was saying this all pre-season, if we have a season of Steve Sidwell being the constant in our midfield, we can't expect to move forward. Our central midfield selection (Karagounis, Diarra, Sidwell, Kvist, Parker and Boateng) cost a sum total of £3.5m - all of that being Scott Parker. There's been such little investment for (in my opinion) the most vital component of building a football club. Mahamadou Diarra isn't even 100%, and has walked in to be our best central midfielder, that speaks so many volumes.

To move onto another point, partially mentioned early, our defence has seen no organisation at all. The one game all year that I've sat and thought that our defence looks good, was Manchester United, and that was a mixture of United throwing in something like 82 crosses, and us having 10 men - not only behind the ball but - on the edge of our own area. We all remember the Roy Hodgson days, is the personnel worse than then? I don't think so. Maybe Brede Hangeland has deteriorated, but Johnny Heitinga and Sascha Riether would both improve upon John Pantsil and then Aaron Hughes. If you can't organise a defence, you've got to question your ability as a manager.

Also, there's the goalkeeping situation, I'm not a fan of either. I like David Stockdale, as a man, as a part of the club, but he's really not that great. I don't think the defence ahead of him helps, but I think we can go and get better on the transfer market. As for Maarten Stekelenburg, I was excited when I saw that he was coming in, I had seen him in Holland and for Holland, play terrifically. But maybe the injuries at Roma and this season have taken it's toll; I would like to see us ship him back somewhere when the window opens.

I won't go into the strikers situation... I'll be here all day.

All in all, we've been effing appalling. Seeing as this is doing the rounds, here's my squad, stripped to the bare:

Goalkeepers: David Stockdale

Defenders: Brede Hangeland, Dan Burn, Fernando Amorebieta

Midfielders: Ashkan Dejagah, Steve Sidwell, Pajtim Kasami, Kieran Richardson.

Forwards: Hugo Rodallega, Cauley Woodrow, Muamer Tankovic, Moussa Dembele

Then with young players making up the squad: Neil Etheridge, Josh Passley, Jack Grimmer, Lasse Christensen, Pat Roberts, Chris David, etc.

Obviously, I think the squad would need £20m worth of investment, a goalscorer, a midfielder with technical ability and a good, young centre back in the Johnny Heitinga mould. A goalkeeper if we can, isn't Kasper Schemichal available on a free in the summer? Good keeper.

Maybe 1 or 2 loans as well, though I'd like to see our youth make up the squad numbers, not just waste ours to elevate another sides.

To finish off, this season has been disastrous, but you don't need me telling you this, this is just my thoughts on where it went wrong and how to improve it.

*I would have put Heitinga and Mitroglou in my first team squad, but I don't think Johnny H would drop down, and I think we could sell the Greek for close, if not more, to what we paid if he didn't want to play in the Championship.

cmg

Pretty much agree with the jist of this.

I note you seem to have omitted any full-backs - which is a pretty accurate reflection of the reality.

Regrettably, I doubt that we will see Tankovic here next season. His contact is up and I suspect his eyes are fixed on better things.

PaulJ123

Tankovic seems quite a confident individual so I feel its unlikely he'll drop drop down with his contract being up

FPT

Quote from: cmg on May 04, 2014, 05:52:22 PM

Pretty much agree with the jist of this.

I note you seem to have omitted any full-backs - which is a pretty accurate reflection of the reality.

Regrettably, I doubt that we will see Tankovic here next season. His contact is up and I suspect his eyes are fixed on better things.

Nor do I, but I'd try double my hardest to tie him down, wonderful player.

Fulham Paul