more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (05/05/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 04, 2014, 08:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham Relegation Reunites Promotion Class of 2001

Following Fulham's relegation to the Championship on Saturday, the Division One promotion class of 2001 will reunite in the second tier next season.

The 2000/01 campaign saw Fulham and Blackburn Rovers win promotion to the Premier League, while third-placed Bolton beat Preston North End in the play-off final to join them in the top-flight.

In their first season at that level, all three clubs managed to do something that had never been done since the inception of the Premier League. Never before had all three promoted sides avoided relegation the following year, an achievement only repeated once since - in 2011/12 - when Queens Park Rangers, Norwich City and Swansea City all retained their status at the top.

Wanderers, Rovers and Fulham all tasted relative success during their respective times in the Premier League, with top-half finishes, cup finals and European football finding their way to each club at some stage in the last 13 years.

After narrowly avoiding relegation in their first two seasons back in the division, Bolton recorded four successive top-eight finishes between 2004 and 2007 - finishing 8th, 6th, 8th and 7th year-on-year - as well as reaching the final of the League Cup in 2004. Their 6th-placed finish in 2005 and 7th-placed finish in 2007 saw them qualify for the UEFA Cup for the only times in their history.

But after narrow escapes from the drop in the years that followed, Wanderers were relegated to the Championship in 2012 after an 11-year stay amongst the elite. Ironically, Blackburn fell at the same time and the two Lancashire rivals were forced to adapt to life back in the second tier.

Back in 2001, Rovers qualified for the UEFA Cup by beating Tottenham Hotspur in the League Cup final at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium. A 6th-placed finish in 2002/03 saw them qualify for the competition again the following season, before they sealed a return to Europe in 2005/06 under the management of Mark Hughes.

They qualified for Europe again in 2007, before the on and off-field problems began to set in at the club. On May 7, 2012, Rovers lost at home to Wigan Athletic and dropped into the Championship, like Bolton, for the first time in 11 years.

With Bolton and Blackburn both gone, it was down to Fulham to keep the 'Class of 2001' alive in the Premier League, but their journey came to an end on Saturday as they lost 4-1 at Stoke City to see their 13-year stay in the top flight draw to a close.

Aside from close calls in 2007 and 2008, respectively, Fulham have largely been a comfortable mid-table Premier League side since their promotion, with a 7th-placed finish in 2008/09 their best return.

Their journey to the FA Cup semi-finals in 2001 hasn't been matched since, while early exits from the League Cup have become normality for the Cottagers, but they did have something to shout about in 2010 when they reached the final of the UEFA Cup - their second of three European campaigns during their stay in the Premier League.

Unfortunately for Roy Hodgson's side, they were beaten 2-1 by Atletico Madrid in the final and just four years later, in a season which has seen them play under three different managers, their lack of consistency since that night in Hamburg has seen them join Bolton and Blackburn in the 2014/15 Championship.

http://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2014/05/04/fulham-relegation-reunites-promotion-class-of-2001.html

WhiteJC

Magath wants chance to lead Fulham back to top-flight

STOKE-ON-TRENT: Felix Magath wants to be given the responsibility of leading Fulham back to the Premier League despite suffering one of the worst days of his managerial career.

Magath suffered his first relegation as a manager as second bottom Fulham's drop into the Championship was confirmed after a 4-1 thrashing at Stoke on Saturday.

The German was at a loss to explain why his side lacked the fighting spirit that has been a characteristic of his lengthy managerial career.

But Magath wants to be trusted with reviving Fulham in the second tier after having little time to make his mark since replacing Rene Meulensteen in February.

"We have to talk about our situation, when I signed it was clear we had to change something," Magath said.

"The club was at the bottom of the table and things developed in the last weeks, but it was not enough.

"I will speak to the owner and we can start to come back. I want that chance.

"You can imagine this is one of the worst days I have ever had.

"I was very confident that we could avoid relegation, until today. I was convinced that we would have a great chance to avoid it."

Lacklustre Fulham went down in tame fashion at the Britannia Stadium and Magath was disappointed his side could not recover despite only trailing 1-0 at the break.

"In Germany we would say we had a 'blackout'," he said. "We had no chance from the beginning, we were not in the game.

"The team felt too much pressure, we could not run, pass or play. We were never being in the game -- we had no chance. At half time I tried for sure.

"Nobody said a word at the end, everybody looked down at the floor.

"There were some tears. But I have to take responsibility and I apologise for not managing the situation.

"For the fans, I say sorry for this bad performance, it was not right for fighting against relegation.

"It's not that the players don't want to fight, they could not. They were not for that situation."

This was a significant win for Stoke boss Mark Hughes, who left Fulham back in 2011 citing the club's "lack of ambition".

He has helped Stoke equal their record Premier League points total of 47 and now he has set his sights on the close-season, including keeping Oussama Assaidi, the on-loan Liverpool winger, who scored the third goal in this win.

"He is technically a very good player and we possibly surprised them with the front three," said Hughes.

"We accept Assaidi is Liverpool's player but there is a hope we can keep him here.

"We're hopeful but it's out of our hands to a certain extent as it is based on what Liverpool value him at."

Hughes, whose side also scored through Peter Odemwingie, Marko Arnautovic and Jon Walters, admitted he felt some sadness for Fulham after his spell at Craven Cottage.

"I've seen a number of people who worked really hard for me at Fulham and they are really upset and you don't like to see that," he added.

"It is an unforgiving league. There's a lot of good people there and I hope they can bounce back.

"But we were very good, I was very pleased with the focus as it was a difficult game with their predicament.

"It was a good performance. Once we scored the first goal we made it difficult for them."

http://www.brecorder.com/sports/other-sports/170534-magath-wants-chance-to-lead-fulham-back-to-top-flight.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham go down with a whimper

Fulham bade farewell to the Barclays Premier League with a whimper as a crushing loss at the Britannia Stadium combined with results elsewhere consigned the Whites to relegation to the Championship.

Goals from Peter Odemwingie, Marko Arnautovic, Oussama Assaidi and Jonathan Walters sealed the visitors' fate after a dismal performance in which a late consolation from Kieran Richardson was rendered irrelevant.

Sunderland's 1-0 win at Old Trafford confirmed Fulham were relegated for the first time since they plunged into the league's bottom division in 1994 - and Felix Magath's first in his lengthy managerial career with nine different clubs.

The Whites had travelled up the M6 hoping for a miracle but might have guessed it would not be their day when Hugo Rodallega - whose winners against Norwich and Aston Villa had given them hope - was ruled out due to illness.

But Magath's men had no excuses for a simply abject performance, particularly in the first half, from which they were highly fortunate to escape with just a single goal deficit.

The home side, with nothing to play for but a top 10 finish, dominated from the first whistle and should have gone ahead in the third minute when Oussama Assaidi blazed over from a Steven Nzonzi cut-back.

Lewis Holtby sailed a long-range free-kick straight into Asmir Begovic's arms in what passed for one of the visitors' few early chances, while at the other end a blunder by Mahamadou Diarra played in Stephen Ireland, who was only denied by a fine close-range save from David Stockdale.

Assaidi stung Stockdale's hands again on the half-hour before Hangeland booted clear, and but for the tenacious midfield work of Richardson the Cottagers looked strangely devoid of fight.

Even news of scores going against them elsewhere could not rouse the visitors and the increasingly inevitable Stoke opener arrived on 39 minutes when Ireland's shot struck Dan Burn, ricocheted against the underside of the bar and bounced down for Odemwingie to tap home.

It was all Stoke deserved for a first half bristling with purpose, and it could have been more moments later when Arnautovic brought another good save out of Stockdale.

The massed ranks of visiting supporters did their best to rouse their side at the start of the second period with the other half-time scorelines weighing heavily against them.

Fulham briefly threatened when a cross from substitute Ashkan Dejagah was headed away by Marc Wilson, but almost immediately the visitors were left reeling from a classic counter-attack.

Odemwingie again found space on the left and his cross squired through Brede Hangeland's legs to the unmarked Arnautovic, who smashed his shot high into the roof of the net.

Still Fulham were not roused from their torpor, Assaidi only denied a third for Stoke in the 58th minute thanks to another superb save from Stockdale.

Stoke continued to press, Arnautovic drilling a seemingly goalbound effort against Heitinga with the visitors looking curiously resigned to their fate.

And their nightmare continued in the 73rd minute when, after Darren Bent scuffed a shot in the Stoke box, the home side launched a swift counter-attack which ended in Arnautovic squaring for Assaidi to knock home the goal his performance deserved.

It was a mark of Fulham's resignation to their fate that Richardson's consolation goal on 80 minutes, when he turned in a right-wing cross from Dejagah, was met with next to no celebrations.

Two minutes later, the visitors' misery was complete when substitute Walters finished off another flowing counter-attacking move to seal a superb performance from the hosts - and one Fulham will wish to forget.

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/sport/11191124._/?

WhiteJC

Drop can be fresh start for Fulham

FanZoner Henry Walmsley accepts Fulham deserve to be relegated but is already looking at the positives of life in the Championship.

On Saturday, after 13 fantastic years at the top table of English football, Fulham dropped back into the Championship.

We have no complaints. We were relegated because over the course of the season we were one of the three worst teams in the division. Comfortably.

Years of underinvestment, poor signings and poor management both on and off the pitch have put us in the position we find ourselves today. Seven defeats out of our last eight games last season should have set alarm bells ringing. Jol should have gone and money should have been spent.

But it wasn't and it has led to an appalling season. Each of our three managers have contributed to our demise. Jol set an awful foundation; Meulensteen took apart what was remaining of our woeful defence; and Magath played too negatively, choosing to only play our best player for 45 minutes each game.

That is all I have to say on this season, instead I will look ahead to next and try and present the positives which will arise from this.

Many Fulham fans have wanted a fresh start for a while now, to see players like Darren Bent and John Arne Riise leave, and give more of our rising stars a chance in the first team, something we have seen practically nothing of in the last 13 years.

With our Under-18's taking a one goal advantage to Chelsea in the second leg of the FA Youth Cup this Monday, we have much to be optimistic about.

Our academy is bursting with future stars such as Moussa Dembele, Patrick Roberts, Maumer Tankovic and Chris David. Hopefully they all see this as a great chance to get into the first team and not a step backwards in their careers. Tankovic's contract is up at the end of the season and there will certainly be many suitors for Dembele and Roberts. Hopefully they will stay.

If they do all stick around then hopefully we will be able to incorporate them into the first XI. Aston Villa have showed how hard it is to do this in the Premier League, but many of our young players will already be good enough for the Championship so should all be given a fair go.

I am under no illusions about how hard the Championship is to get out of, with many clubs bigger than us still dwelling in the division, with some even having taken a detour via League One.

I am confident this won't happen to us. Thanks to a good financial base and a good pool of young players we shouldn't find ourselves being relegated again. Being optimistic, it gives us a chance to perhaps win a few more games, and maybe win something, maybe even a trip to Wembley. I know many fans like myself have grown tired of fighting just to finish mid table every season, with no prospects of finishing any higher in the table than seventh.

As for the manager, I think he deserves the chance to stay.

His negative tactics have been very hard to watch, but I'm sure this was simply because we were one of the worst teams in the league and he thought it best to play this way. Maybe next year we will be the Bayern Munich of the Championship!

It does however present a chance to completely start again, with a young manager with fresh ideas, something I have wanted for a while. The dream is to come back a new force such as Southampton or Swansea but obviously this is harder than it sounds.

One thing is for sure, next year will be a new challenge and it is one that I am looking forward to. It doesn't matter what league we're playing in, who the manager is or who the players are, it's the club and the people who matter, and we'll still be at the Cottage backing the boys next season.

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/9296442/-?

WhiteJC

Huw On Steve

Academy Director Huw Jennings praised the spirit shown by the Under-18s this week, as well as the impact of Manager Steve Wigley.

The Whites recorded a 3-2 win against Chelsea on Monday evening and, as a result, take a slender advantage into the Second Leg of the FA Youth Cup Final at Stamford Bridge.

In the First Leg at Craven Cottage, the Blues went in front early in the second half, but Wigley's side showed great character in their response with a quick-fire double from Moussa Dembélé and Emerson Hyndman.

Cameron Burgess added a third, although the visitors did hit back in the 85th minute to set up a finely poised encounter this coming Monday.

"We have our noses in front, but there's a lot to play for," said Huw to fulhamfc.com. "We were pleased with the victory and, while you always want to play well and get the win – it's ultimately the score at the final whistle that counts.

"We didn't play as well as we can, but a lot of credit should be given to Chelsea - they're a difficult team to face and they have some very good individuals. We know that we'll have to play better in the Second Leg, but in the first game, once again, our spirit got us through.

"There's no doubt that we will play better, the boys need to move the ball more decisively and ensure our game plan is more effectively put into practice. They've trained well this week, it's been intense. They've worked hard throughout the season and will work just as hard going into the game at Stamford Bridge on Monday.

"This season, there have been times where we haven't played to our best, but we've found a way to win and that's usually the sign of a good team – we have resilience in abundance. We know how we like to play and what we're capable of, but when the game evolves you have to adjust accordingly."

Jennings believes that resilience can also be aligned to the influence of Wigley who is rightly regarded as one of the best youth coaches in the country. While the Under-18 Manager encourages imagination, creativity and instinct, he's also an advocate of discipline and good old-fashioned values.

"I've said before that the squad we have is a very talented group," added Huw. "They've enjoyed a lot of success in recent years, but Steve has certainly played his part, too. And, also, let's not forget the good work of Kit Symons before him.

"I've known Steve a long time, from our days working at Southampton's academy, and he's one of the best in the game at what he does. I think it's important Fulham fans know what a terrific coach he is - we're very lucky to have him.

"He has an ability to get youngster playing to their maximum potential; his capacity to educate and engage is exceptional. He sets very high standards, but the players have reacted very positively to that."

This fixture is ALL TICKET and tickets are no longer on sale. No tickets will be available to purchase on the day.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/04/huw-on-steve?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath is wrong man for Fulham, says Rodney Marsh

Felix Magath is not the right man to lead Fulham back to the top flight, says ex-Cottagers striker Rodney Marsh.

Fulham's defeat at Stoke on Saturday, coupled with Sunderland's win at Manchester United, led to their relegation from the Premier League.

The German, who took over in February, is Fulham's third manager this year.

"They need the right man who can handle the rebound," Marsh told BBC Sport. "They need a Neil Warnock or Dave Jones, who have success at that level."

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek, Marsh added: "Some foreign managers who get relegated are like deer in the headlights and don't understand what the Championship is all about.

"In the lower leagues, the knowledge of the overall standard of play comes into play."

Magath, 60, who won three league titles with Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg, took over from Rene Meulensteen, who himself replaced Martin Jol, signed an 18-month contract when he joined the club with 12 games to go.

After Saturday's defeat, he said his players did not battle hard enough to keep their side in the Premier League.

Jones, who guided Wolves to promotion from the Championship in the 2002-03 season, told Sportsweek that both Fulham and Cardiff had made a mistake by sacking their managers mid-season and replacing them with men who had no experience of managing in Britain.

"Sometimes a chairman thinks it is best to bring in foreign coaches but look at the likes of Tony Pulis, Mark Hughes and Steve Bruce," he said.

"They have done a fantastic job because they know the Premier League and what it takes and if you bring in someone who doesn't have that knowledge it can have an impact."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27274163

WhiteJC

Felix Magath not planning to leave Fulham and wants return to Premier League

Felix Magath is adamant he is the right man to lead Fulham back to the Premier League.

The Cottagers were relegated to the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday when they tumbled to a 4-1 defeat at Stoke, with Magath apologising to fans for the feeble manner of their capitulation.

Magath's future with the club will come under scrutiny this summer after winning just three games since taking over from Rene Meulensteen in February.

But he was in defiant mood when asked about that question in the wake of their defeat at the Britannia Stadium.

Magath said: "I don't think to do anything else except stay at Fulham and build up a new team - that was the idea when I came here.

"It is clear we have to change something, I want to have success with Fulham in the next years. I will talk about the situation with the owner and we will start to come back."

Magath was damning in his criticism of Fulham's performance, accusing his players of lacking the nerve to get themselves out of trouble.

He added: "You saw no fighting spirit and therefore I think they felt too much pressure.

"I was very confident that we could avoid relegation and I was convinced before the game that we had a great chance. I spoke with the players before and they seemed to be confident and in the dressing room they were up for the fight.

"I apologise for not managing the situation because I was convinced we would stay in the league but we are relegated."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9296679?

WhiteJC

We owe fans a win, says emotional Stockdale

David Stockdale has urged Fulham to sign off from the Premier League with a win for their fans after the club were relegated on Saturday.

Stockdale struggled to contain his emotions after Fulham's fate was sealed, courtesy of an emphatic 4-1 defeat to Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium.

Fulham's 13-year stay in the Premier League will come to an end after next weekend's home game against Crystal Palace.

And Stockdale believes he and his team-mates must finish with a flourish, even though they can no longer escape the bottom three.

"We have to do it for the fans. We have to get three points for the fans, because that's all they deserve - nothing less," Stockdale told Fulham's official website.

Reflecting on a miserable afternoon for Felix Magath's men at Stoke, the goalkeeper expressed gratitude for the support Fulham received from their fans.

"What can I say? They're the best thing about today," he added.

"They stayed until the end, they clapped, they stayed until after the whistle. They stayed with us through the lows and I think they deserve better than that.

"It's hard to stand here and put anything into words really.

"I've gone through it (relegation) before on loan (with Plymouth Argyle), but never for one of the clubs that I love, which is Fulham.

"They gave me a chance, and it's just disappointing you can't give it back to keep them where they belong."

Asked if he had a message for Fulham's fans, Stockdale said: "Stick with us. We're trying to bounce back next year.

"There are a lot of players who believe in the club and want the club to be back where it belongs."

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2014/May/04/we-owe-fans-a-win-says-emotional-stockdale/?

WhiteJC

Reasons for Optimism
by LYDIA on MAY 4, 2014

I think it's fair to say that yesterday was one of the worst days that I have ever had as a Fulham fan. It wasn't just the fact that we were relegated but rather the way in which we were relegated. Stoke completely turned us over! We couldn't get the ball and the few times that we went on attack we lost all sense of structure and intelligent play which resulted in us conceding a total of four goals on the break. We were shocking, and apart from a number of great games, the whole season has been shocking. On the pitch too often our players didn't look interested and off the pitch we were a disaster. Too many changes in management and we fielded about 38 didn't players this season, more than any other side. A sports team needs structure both on the pitch and off. A lack of structure has played a massive part in us going down.

However, I think we have already had enough time to be angry/upset so it's time to look at the positives and the reasons why I think we ought to be optimistic. First of all, whether it has been evident or not, the majority of our players do have a massive amount of football passion. David Stockdale, who often hasn't had the best of times at Fulham, has finally been given a decent run in the first team and was clearly heartbroken yesterday after the game. I want him as our first choice keeper next season. He has a good experience of championship football (let's not forget he was promoted with Hull last season) and has shown in the past while just how good he is. There has been many a game he has kept us in with a chance. Also, the fact that sometimes he has been dropped when playing well, but stuck at it and continued to work hard just shows us that he has great character. I hope he stays this summer.

Secondly, we have one of the best youth set-ups in the country. I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone that our U18s are in the final of the Youth FA Cup on Monday night, taking a fine 3-2 lead to Stamford Bridge. No matter what happens on Monday against Chelsea, we can be confident that some of those players are going to play a big role for us soon. We also have a number of highly rated players out on loan at the minute gaining plenty of experience so Magath is going to have a large base of players to work with from now until the Championship starts in August. We have already seen Cauley Woodrow, Patrick Roberts, Moussa Dembele and Dan Burn have a go in the Premier League so they must be thinking that they have a big chance to hold down regular spots in the team now. Never underestimate the impact of young and hungry players. For years now our team has been too old so maybe this is finally the time for a clearout. Yes, we need experienced heads in there, but we also need to add a new freshness to the team and we have already seen that Magath is willing to do that.

Thirdly, we are in good shape financially. Mohammad Al Fayad paid off all of our debt before he sold us to Khan in the summer so, although relegation is expensive, we don't need to be too worried about the financial side of things. I believe that Khan will work with the board to help us invest over the summer to give us the best possible chance of going up. We don't have a ridiculous wage bill so with regards to money, we are in a healthy position.

Fourthly, Kostas Mitroglou was bought for 12million in January and has barely played. I don't believe that anyone is going to be massively keen to take him off our hands so I reckon that we have a quality striker who will be keen to show what he can do. I reckon he will be class in the Championship!

And finally, we have a manager who seems keen to be given the chance to rebuild Fulham. We have been baffled by his team selection at times but he only came in with 12 games to go and was expected to work a miracle. He couldn't really change things the way he wanted due to having no time. But he now has the whole summer and a transfer market to put together his own team with his own philosophy. Also, he is known for his tough training regime so I expect our players will be in fantastic condition when the season starts again. If he stays and completes his squad clear out (but hopefully keeping Dejagah etc.) then we should really be looking forward to next season. In a way, this is maybe what we needed! Not that I'm glad we went down, far from it, but this gives us a good opportunity to rebuild.

We haven't had a fun season but next year we should realistically be targeting at least a play-off spot so we should have plenty to cheer about! I am optimistic that we will have a positive season under Felix Magath and Khan. We as fans have certainly done our jobs and kept behind the boys even during games like yesterday, but now is when they need us the very most, when they are battling for promotion.

Here's to a great 2014/15 season.

COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/05/reasons-for-optimism/?

WhiteJC

Looking ahead

by Sheepskin Junior.

So many times we have come close to the drop. Usually we manage to escape. However, as we all know, that plan has this year failed. As long as I have been a Fulham fan (my first game was December '03) we have been top flight. I have never know the pains and heartache of relegation. Now there is another story. I'm not disappointed, because the way we had been playing, we all expected it. However, when it was confirmed, I have no shame in admitting there were tears falling down my face.

The Championship is an exciting prospect for me. I think that with the right squad, under the right management, we will thrive. There are a lot more local games too; Reading, Brentford, Watford, Wolves and potentially QPR being around – hell for the schedulers mind. Yes, we won't be playing the likes of Liverpool, Manchester City and Arsenal next season, but we will be better for it. Some of our less positive players will move on and we can actually have a look at some of the youth players we have lying around. When you look at how well Huw Jennings has done with our youth teams, and you look at the players in them, you can imagine them tearing experienced Championship players to shreds.

Of course it leaves a sour taste in the mouth that Mark Hughes was the one to relegate us, but if we're honest, it was him or Pulis. I prefer Hughes. This will be the first time Felix gets to play using players that he has brought in. Players that he wants. Players that know his style. When you look at some of the things he achieved in Germany, taking over teams and leading them to titles, you know that can be done with us. Maybe not the Premier League, but baby steps for now. I'm half expecting a Sanchez-esque transfer window and lots of Germans to come in. But if that's what Magath thinks will take us up, then I will stand by him until it fails.

I'm not one of those people who will just pack it in because we're down. I will still wear a Fulham shirt with as much pride as if we had just finished 7th again. We are Fulham. And we can do this. Fulham til I die.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=487

WhiteJC

Felix Magath ready to run rule over Fulham youngsters as rebuilding begins following relegation to Championship
Manager will watch club's under-18s attempt to win the FA Youth Cup for the first time when they face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge

Rising star: Patrick Roberts (right) has been one of the few positives in the Fulham team in recent weeks
Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Fulham will hope that the path to recovery begins immediately. On Monday evening the club's under-18s will attempt to win the FA Youth Cup for the first time. Leading rivals Chelsea 3-2 from the first leg there is a confidence Steve Wigley's side can see the tie through. Felix Magath confirmed on Saturday, following the first team's relegation to the Championship, that he will attend the match at Stamford Bridge on a watching brief. His eye is already on next season.

"It is a pleasure for me to work with young players," he said. "The first thing for me is to look at our academy and look for ones which can join us."

Magath would not quite admit it but surely he knows a major restructuring of his squad is needed. The loanees who started in the 4-1 defeat away to Stoke City will be the first to leave.

Darren Bent had not started a game in two months and was ineffective, his efforts mocked by the visiting crowd. Lewis Holtby, meanwhile, was substituted in the 34th minute in an attempt by Magath to "give a push" that was needed so desperately.

"Today, it was not one player," Magath continued. "It was a whole team. I tried a change before half-time. Normally you never do that. But it was not enough. Maybe I had to take three players out."

There was no fight from Fulham. There was an absence of spirit. They seemed to drift subconsciously towards relegation. Kieran Richardson's goal was barely deserved. It was the saddest way to go down.

Although the soaring Dan Burn at right back had a tormenting afternoon before he too was withdrawn – like a giraffe chasing a Jack Russell, he was twisted this way and that by Ousamma Assaidi – the defender is worth keeping. As are goalkeeper David Stockdale and captain Brede Hangeland.

Everywhere else, there are only question marks. Magath has experience of creating a vibrant, energetic team. While at VfB Stuttgart, where he held the roles of manager and director of football simultaneously, he introduced Timo Hildebrand, Andreas Hinkel and Kevin Kuryani, a trio who became known as "die jungen Wilden" (wild youth). It led to Stuttgart finishing second in the Bundesliga and qualifying for the Champions League.

At Fulham the brightest prospects are Patrick Roberts, a local boy originally with AFC Wimbledon, who Magath offered a first-team debut to in March, and Moussa Dembele, the French striker whose goals this season have also helped Fulham finish fifth in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League, only below Chelsea, Liverpool and both Manchester clubs.

Owner Shahid Khan was not even present in Staffordshire to witness Fulham's exit from the top flight after 13 years, but he is thought to be willing to remain with Magath in charge having sacked two other managers in the last six months
Magath is wary, though, of the need to achieve instant results. Of the 30 teams to be relegated from the Premier League in the last decade only four have managed promotion at the first attempt.

"This is a very different challenge," he admitted.

For Mark Hughes, the outlook is a lot clearer. Stoke remain on course to finish inside the Premier League's top 10 for the first time thanks to goals from Peter Odemwingie, Marko Arnautovic, Assaidi and Jonathan Walters.

"That's where we want to be consistently in the future," Hughes said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10807899/Felix-Magath-ready-to-run-rule-over-Fulham-youngsters-as-rebuilding-begins-following-relegation-to-Championship.html

WhiteJC

Felix Magath sees his world disintegrate as Fulham hit a horrible new low
• Defeat at Stoke City ends 13-year stint in Premier League
• 'This is worse than losing in two World Cup finals'

Felix Magath is not used to failure. He has two World Cup runners-up medals from his playing time, an unused substitute in West Germany's 1982 final defeat to Italy and fully involved four years later in the loss to Argentina, but he had no relegation on his CV – until last Saturday anyway.

As the Fulham manager surveyed the wreckage from a desperate season for the club, ended on a sunny afternoon in Stoke-on-Trent, he could reflect on the lowest point of his career. "This is worse than losing in two World Cup finals – being the second best team in the world is not as bad as being at the bottom of the Premier League," Magath said. "The only good thing to come out of this is that we know where we will be playing next season and we can start to make plans for it."

The German arrived in February – after Martin Jol and René Meulensteen had failed in the job – with a big reputation, but he has not lived up to his dictatorial reputation. This horrific 4-1 defeat at a side for whom Premier League survival was assured many moons ago lacked the characteristics of Magath's hardline background in his home country.

Fulham displayed a lack of passion during the game that left the 3,000 travelling fans astonished at the meek surrender of their 13-year status as a top-flight club.

Magath knew that Saturday was no such time for a thorough inquest but he will surely realise he needs to dispense with high-earning underachievers and focus on youth. The highly regarded forwards Patrick Roberts and Cauley Woodrow have helped their side reach the final of the FA Youth Cup – they visit Chelsea on Monday night in the second leg at Stamford Bridge, having won the first leg 3-2 at Craven Cottage.

"It is a good sign for the future that Fulham are in the FA Youth Cup final because I have always enjoyed watching the development of young players and I have always picked young players in my teams," said Magath, who will be at Stamford Bridge on Monday night. "To make it work next season we need to build our team with young players from our academy. We need to change some things about the club if we want to become part of the Premier League again."

Names such as John Arne Riise face uncertain summers. The former Liverpool and Roma defender is out of contract and is already fearing what may happen over the coming months. "It has not helped that we have had three different managers but at the end of the day, that happens," the 33-year-old Norwegian said. "I fully believe Magath will turn it round next season. He can build his own team and get it how he wants it to look and I am sure Fulham will be back in the Premier League after next season.

"A mix of experienced players and young players, with Felix working in pre-season, will work. My contract is up. I have spoken to the club and we have to play the last game and see what happens. My heart belongs to Fulham.

"I have always thought about winning titles so this is a different feeling. I never for one second believed we would go down. It's hit me like a brick wall. There are a lot of sad players, we are really gutted. There are tears. This is a family club, a traditional club and a very sad day for the players, the club, the supporters – everybody."

As for Stoke, the future is rosy. The attacking trio of Peter Odemwingie, Marko Arnautovic and Oussama Assaidi excelled on Saturday, all scoring, as did Jonathan Walters. The Potters had led at the interval through Odemwingie's scrambled goal on 39 minutes but Arnautovic and Assaidi added fine efforts, emphasising the team's new attacking threat. Kieran Richardson scored for Fulham before Walters registered the late fourth.

Steven Nzonzi also played his part and Stoke will hope to wrap up a first top-10 Premier League finish when they travel to West Bromwich Albion on Sunday. "We played with power, with pace and we hit them quickly and we have shown real improvement," said the French midfielder who has relished the opportunity to get forward more this year. "It takes time to change the way you play football but we are showing improvement between the first part of the season and the second part."

Man of the match Marko Arnautovic (Stoke City)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/04/felix-magath-fulham-new-low-stoke-city?

WhiteJC

Five Fulham players sure to be in Premier League demand following their relegation

Following their relegation to the Championship, we consider which five players may be most sought after by the Cottagers' Premier League rivals.

With Fulham's relegation still fresh in the memory of most fans, it might be a little too soon for many of them to consider the exit of some of their stars.

Unfortunately, their Premier League rivals are likely to be eager to see just who might be worth pursuing and who might be available.

Below we have a list of five Fulham players that may be most in demand come the opening of the transfer window:

Konstantinos Mitroglou

The Greek striker has barely played since his surprise move from Olympiakos in January. Three appearances largely absolve him of any blame on the pitch for the Cottagers relegation, though of course they could have done with him playing, and Arsenal, who were rumoured to be interested in the forward after his 17 goals in 19 games in the first half of the season, may return.

Maarten Stekelenburg

Stekelenburg has had a frustrating first season in England, losing the Dutch number one spot, and seeing injuries and poor form interrupt his run in the Fulham first team.  At 31-years-old though, he should be in his prime, and may be worth a punt for anyone looking to grab an experienced goalkeeper with a point to prove.

Steve Sidwell

The former Chelsea and Arsenal man has been Fulham's standout performer this season, enjoying his best ever campaign from a personal perspective. That will be scant consolation though for the tough tackling box-to-box midfielder, who despite an impressive 7 goal return, will be devastated with relegation. At 31, could still be of use to many Premier League sides.

Brede Hangeland

Long rumoured to have been a target for Arsenal, the big Norwegian may finally feel like the time is right to depart the club. At 32, and having experienced several injury issues this year, Hangeland may be best placed as a back up were Wenger to return for the defender, but there's no doubt that he is still a quality player.

Ashkan Dejagah

Former Wolfsburg winger Dejagah has also seen his stock rise this season, scoring some memorable goals from a variety of areas. With 6 strikes in just 24 games, the Iranian has proven himself to be a goalscoring threat up there with the best the league has to offer, despite playing for a struggling team, and thus ensured he will be a wanted man in the summer.

Would either Mitroglou or Hangeland be a good signing for Arsenal?

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/05/05/five-fulham-players-in-premier-league-demand-following-relegatio/?