more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (12/05/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 12, 2014, 07:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Magath confirms Fulham will make no effort to keep Bent and Holtby

Fulham boss Felix Magath will make no effort to extend the loan deals of Darren Bent and Lewis Holtby.

The pair failed to even make the bench for Sunday's 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace as the German revealed their wages mean they are not wanted in West London.

Bent scored just three goals during his season-long loan from Aston Villa where he fell out of favour under manager Paul Lambert, while Holtby has faded since his January move from Spurs.

"I think they go back because they're not only loan players but players with high quality and high wages," Magath said.

"We have to look at the money and take care of the money. I think we're not able to pay such players.

"We are looking for young players and you have two ways to be successful. One way is spend more and the other is spend less and work harder."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/magath-confirms-fulham-will-make-no-effort-keep-bent-and-holtby-14051290748#AmlWIT2bG9re9oeO.99

WhiteJC

Aiming High

Chris David is aiming to play a big part in Fulham's attempt to return to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

The youngster made his league debut for the relegated Whites against Crystal Palace in our final game of the season on Sunday and capped a lively performance by scoring a superb stoppage-time equaliser to earn Fulham a point in a 2-2 draw.

"It was a very nice day for me," David told the official website. "We were already unfortunately relegated so the Manager took the opportunity to work for next season and he gave chances to players like me.

"It was my league debut and I thought I did quite well. It was good to score a goal like this, for the fans too. Hopefully this is the start of a nice career for me at Fulham.

"To score on your league debut is a dream for a lot of players. I've been here for one-and-a-half years now but this was my league debut and I've worked hard for this moment. If you can score on your debut, it's wonderful."

An early substitute for the injured Alexander Kačaniklić, David showed no sign of nerves, causing the Palace defence all sorts of problems.

"I've been here for 18 months now I've trained with the lads for a long time," he stated. "I've played two FA Cup games and I wasn't nervous as I've been ready for a long time to play. If called upon, I'm always ready."

David's 94th-minute effort to rescue the hosts a point will go down as one of Fulham's goals of the season as his curling strike from outside the area beat Wayne Hennessey and crashed in off the underside of the bar.

"It's a favourite thing of mine to cut inside from the right and onto my left foot and swing it towards the top corner," explained David, who was booked for taking his shirt off in celebration. "I try it a lot in training and no-one attacked me so I thought I'd give it a shot and it was great to see it go in.

"I didn't plan to take off my shirt but in the emotion of scoring on my debut, I tore it off as it was such an incredible feeling!"

With both Cauley Woodrow and David on target against Palace and young George Williams on the bench, the future can be bright for Fulham next season according to the Dutchman.

"It's nice to have young players in the squad and it worked out well on Sunday," mused David. "I hope I play more minutes next season, that's the aim. I want to play games at my age and I want it to be here. The aim for the Club is to get straight back up, it's in everyone's head because Fulham belongs to the Premier League."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/12/aiming-high?

WhiteJC

Magath expecting offers for Fulham defender

German says compatriot Riether could leave Fulham this summer

Uncertain future: Felix Magath is expecting offers for Sascha Riether

Felix Magath admits right-back Sascha Riether could leave Fulham in the summer.

The German defender has fallen out of favour in recent weeks and failed to even make the bench for Sunday's 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace.

Riether, who also played under Magath at Wolfsburg, was linked with a move back to the Bundesliga with Schalke last summer.

And Magath says he is expecting offers for the 31-year-old.

He said: "At the moment I don't know about the team next season. We have to be patient and wait to see what goes on.

Out of contract: Mahamadou Diarra's deal is up

"Players like Sascha Riether, they earn good money and may get an offer from another team."

Magath has vowed to inject youth into an ageing side next campaign and started his summer rebuild early against the Eagles.

Veterans John Arne Riise and Mahamadou Diarra were also left out of the squad, with youngsters Cauley Woodrow and Chris David making their mark instead.

Magath added: "I took the players out whose contracts end at the end of the season. There were only Steve Sidwell and John Heitinga which played."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/magath-expecting-offers-fulham-defender-7105398?

WhiteJC

Cauley Woodrow nets first Premier League goal

Ex-Luton Town starlet Cauley Woodrow scored his first Premier League goal for Fulham during their 2-2 draw against Crystal Palace on Sunday.

The 19-year-old netted on the hour mark as the Cottagers signed off from life in the top flight.

Woodrow, who made his Town debut as a 15-year-old in an FA Trophy clash against Welling United, tweeted: "Mixed emotions gutted we are not in the Prem next season but absolutely buzzing to score my first goal for Fulham!!!"

It appears that Woodrow, who has made six appearances for Fulham will have more chance next season in the Championship as Whites boss Felix Magath said: "The team I selected was a sign that we will change something in the future – that we don't rely on older players.

http://wearelutontown.com/cauley-woodrow-nets-first-premier-league-goal/?

WhiteJC

The Craven Corner: Fulham might be relegated but there are positives to take

Fulham's Pajtim Kasami scores his team's opening goal. Picture: Scott Heavey/EMPICS

Three managers later, and relegation – none of us could have even imagined the season would have ended this way.

There was such optimism at the start of the campaign and whilst we knew we wouldn't push on for Europa, we would be mid-table but this season it all changed.

Sadly, the likes of Brede Hangeland, Damien Duff, Aaron Hughes, Steven Sidwell, Scott Parker, Darren Bent, Sascha Riether and co are not the players they once were and we saw far too many changes this season causing instability.

On paper we had a strong squad, but the constant changes throughout the season meant players were asked to play in a variety of positions and weren't 100% sure what the system or tactics were.

It may not have been the greatest season, but I do believe we would make the best goals of the season DVD out of the Premier Peague and Chris David's wonderful equaliser at the weekend would have definitely made a nice closing scene.

Everyone expected changes at the weekend with our fate already sealed and if I'm honest, I expected a few more youngsters to get some game-time this weekend but there were still some old faces on the pitch.

Credit to George Williams who made a few call up to the bench despite not featuring, he's one for the future and has performed excellently in the youth squads.

But we did get to see the talent of Chris David which was ever so hyped about by Martin Jol, and his performance against Crystal Palace proved he has a massive season ahead of him in the Championship.

Okay, we've been relegated but I'm not as unhappy or upset as I thought I would have been.

For example, it finally gives us a chance to build something new, a complete squad overhaul build from the youth instead of over the hill players.

It's a chance for new players to fight for their shirt and play with passion and pride which we ever so lacked this season.

The emergence of Dan Burn, Patrick Roberts, Moussa Dembele, George Williams, Chris David, The versatile Ryan Tunnicliffe, Larnell Cole and Solomon Sambou are just a few that will make the grade next season and I'm sure there are plenty we will get introduced to.

At the same time we will most likely being saying goodbye to a few of our better players especially Pajtim Kasami who seems to have played his last game for the club, with his recent Instagram posts suggesting his future is elsewhere.

Kasami for me has been a great player for us but was never played centrally enough for my liking.

At Palermo, Luzern and his other clubs he played as that number ten or as a central midfielder and he was the heir to Dembele's throne, the same build and style of play but he's been wasted out wide far too many times.

Just look back to the goal of the season against Crystal Palace earlier in the season, where did his run come from? Centre of the pitch, it's where he is meant to be and if he is to leave then his next club will make him into a true top European talent.

But the difference between the two sides at the weekend was stability.

Tony Pulis is known for building strong, passionate and hard to break down teams and it showed this weekend and in their recent performances.

Crystal Palace may not have the talent of Lewis Holtby and some of the other mercurial talents we have been blessed with over the years, but they have desire and work as a team and it's why they have done so well under Pulis.

Although, I suppose we did kind of give them a head start by handing Elsad Zverotic a place in the starting eleven and his defending against Yannick Bolasie was simply dreadful.

If you ever want to learn how not to defend, then watch this game back. Time and time again, he dived in when he shouldn't and easily got turned or outplayed by the Palace winger and quite frankly it was embarrassing.

If he does leave this summer, I think most fans will celebrate his departure as much as they would a big name signing.

Finally, we may have got relegated this season, but we will come back stronger and with a more stable foundation and I do believe that Felix Magath will be able to attract some top quality players due to his CV and Shahid Khan admitting he will provide a transfer budget to work with.

It's going to be a long summer, with as many as ten or eleven players leaving the club and many coming to the club through promotion to the senior squad or imports.

It's going to take time, but if Felix wants to prove himself in the English game, this will be his hardest challenge of all.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/the_craven_corner_fulham_might_be_relegated_but_there_are_positives_to_take_1_3595991

WhiteJC

FANCY A BET ON PROMOTION?
Sky Bet's Championship odds released...

Relegated trio of Norwich, Cardiff and Fulham have been installed as the favourites by Football League sponsor Sky Bet to make an immediate return to the Premier League.

The  online bookmaker go have installed Norwich at 11/4 and 3/1 apiece on the Cardiff and Fulham securing promotion back to the top flight and 9/1 for Norwich and 10/1 for the two other relegated sides winning next season's Sky Bet Championship title.

Reading, who agonisingly missed out on a place in the end of season play-offs, are 9/2 to make amends by securing promotion next season with Stuart Pearce's Nottingham Forest 5/1 to go up in his first season in charge.

Middlesbrough, who finished the season strongly with six wins from their final eight matches, are also 5/1 shots, while Wolves, who clinched the Sky Bet League 1 title in style this season, are 13/2 to achieve back-to-back promotions under boss Kenny Jackett.

Leeds United are 7/1 shots to secure promotion and a tempting 20/1 to go up as champions.

Sky Bet's Head of Football Trading Paul Wiggins said: "Norwich, Cardiff and Fulham head the early betting as they look to take advantage of the parachute payments by holding on to the key members of their squads.

"Other fancied teams in the Championship are Bournemouth, who went on a terrific run at the end of this season, and Middlesbrough, who will be desperate to make a long-awaited return to the top flight."

- See more at: http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article/1kj63nlnhv6wb1ppg7hudjf2fn/title/fancy-a-bet-on-promotion?#sthash.V1Qy0m9t.dpuf

WhiteJC

Can't get there from here: it's finally over

I only stayed for the first half. Having brought Stanley, my 3 year old along to watch, it felt a bit cruel to keep him there for too long. At half time he very nicely said "Daddy, I want to go home now" and I looked at him and thought "yes, that's probably not a bad idea at all." So we stood up, gathered our things, said goodbye to our friends, and trudged up the steps, walked down them the other side, shoved through the masses, slipped out of the Hammersmith End turnstyle tent, and walked away from Premier League football at Craven Cottage without much of a backwards look.

On the way out a Palace fan was having a shouting match with his girlfriend. He had lost his cool and was going home, she was keeping hers and telling him what a prize pillock he was being.

Further down Stevenage Road a couple of Fulham fans shouted at him over the fence. He wasn't having this, and leapt into the fence, about a foot away from Stanley, spewing like the half-bright twit he will always be. The act of frightening a three year old is not a noble one and I hope his girlfriend used this in the comprehensive character assassination he was surely due later that night. Once a gap in the fence had been found he apologised, having been told by a resident that she was phoning the police, but really.

On the pitch Fulham showed what an embarrassment they have become, with some of the least slick possession football you'll ever see. It looked like a "football for beginners" training drill, all shaky first touches and wayward seconds. Misunderstandings, passes into touch, a lack of basic teamwork. Add in the familiar inability to close down people around our area and an ability to make decent but ordinary teams look pretty damn impressive and you have a first rate example of why this team absolutely deserved its relegation and why the players deserve not that much sympathy for their reported nonchalence about same: "We have an easy run-in," Magath reported as a common sentiment at Motspur Park. There is no such thing as an easy run-in when you play football like this.

I saw the goals later and congratulations to Cauley Woodrow and Chris David for showing that results can be achieved by young unfamous people who don't earn silly money. Chris David might not be the finished article, but when his competition in midfield has been so uniformly dismal, it's borderline scandalous that he hasn't had a chance until now. Veteran players are permitted to put in 4/10 performances week in week out, but youngsters are held back. It makes little sense when your options are this bad.

Of course good coaching can make ordinary players look competent, but our ordinary players did not become competent, so where that leaves us remains to be seen. We must give Magath the benefit of the doubt and hope that this leaves some room for achievement in next year's Championship. This season has been a farce of the highest order, the denouement of years of neglect coupled with some entirely wrong-headed short-term decision making. Honestly, I thought we still had the talent to survive, but none of us could have known the ridiculousness that was occurring behind closed doors at Motspur Park.

It's not clear why the players couldn't retain some form of footballing intelligence beyond Mr Jol's 'methods', nor why the club's directors weren't somehow alerted to the shambles occurring outside their windows, but for whatever reason it was allowed to persist and that will probably cost the club many millions of pounds and the people responsible their jobs.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/05/12/cant-get-there-from-here-its-finally-over/?

WhiteJC

Soon and Smart!

It hasn`t been a good season, far from it! It`s been a season that could define our future.

Having suffered the indignation of relegation we`re now at that crossroads whereby we can use this calamity to assess where we`re going, get a strategy in place, trim the squad to suit and head onwards and upwards.

Or we could wallow in self pity and just drift along for the next few seasons whilst the Premier League and the vast fortune that accompanies it slips away into the distance.

Thankfully, it would seem that our owner, Shahid Khan, wants to take the former route with Khan remarking in relation to the situation,

"All of us at Fulham Football Club apologize to you for falling short."

"We did not anticipate spending a great part of this season near the bottom and never expected relegation."

"Many did answer the call but as our record suggests, the compliance in the squad was severely lacking and that is simply unacceptable."

"You have my word we will return to the Premier League not only as soon but as smartly as possible."

Please let it be next season and that in a years time there are rays of sunshine beaming down on the old cottage rather than the dark clouds that are currently hovering over the familiar building!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=358827#ixzz31Wj8POli

WhiteJC

Pat Shines For Young Lions

Patrick Roberts again played a starring role as England Under-17s defeated Turkey 4-1 on Monday in their second group game of the European Championships in Malta.

Having scored twice and claimed as assist as England beat Malta on Friday, Roberts was a dangerous figure once more in the victory over Turkey as the Young Lions all but secured a spot in the Semi-Finals.

Enes Unal missed an early penalty for Turkey but made amends soon after when he fired home from just inside the area in the 16th minute.

But England were level nine minutes later when Joe Gomez burst forward to tee up Dominic Solanke and Turkey were reduced to 10 men just before the break when Hasan Ozkan picked up a second yellow card.

After Roberts had seen a long-range effort saved after the restart, he played his part in England going in front in the 49th minute, tricking his way into the box and setting up Solanke to score.

Roberts then helped make it 3-1, laying the ball off for Jonjoe Kenny to rifle home. And the Fulham starlet had a hand in the fourth as his shot was saved and Adam Armstrong slotted in the rebound.

England face Holland in their final group match on Thursday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/12/pat-shines-again?

Forever Fulham

I've really enjoyed reading this string of posts.  I fear the "people responsible" for the team's poor showing this season won't lose their jobs, or that only one or two lower level employees will be blamed and take the fall for decisions that belonged to higher ups.  A thorough cleaning is in order.  Also, I don't like the statement attributed to Magath about Holtby--that we can't afford him now that we've been relegated, that we must go cheap and find low wages youngsters.  Did Khan lay down a player payroll budget for next year that doesn't allow for a mix of higher waged quality veteran players with up and coming younger players fighting for their Big Opportunity?  Why must Holtby go back?  Why can't the club fight to keep him on an extended loan? 

Snibbo

Quote from: Forever Fulham on May 13, 2014, 06:10:18 AM
I've really enjoyed reading this string of posts.  I fear the "people responsible" for the team's poor showing this season won't lose their jobs, or that only one or two lower level employees will be blamed and take the fall for decisions that belonged to higher ups.  A thorough cleaning is in order.  Also, I don't like the statement attributed to Magath about Holtby--that we can't afford him now that we've been relegated, that we must go cheap and find low wages youngsters.  Did Khan lay down a player payroll budget for next year that doesn't allow for a mix of higher waged quality veteran players with up and coming younger players fighting for their Big Opportunity?  Why must Holtby go back?  Why can't the club fight to keep him on an extended loan? 
I think it's just common sense. We've got some very high paid underperformers - Bent, Mitroglou, Riise, Parker to name a few. Why keep paying for little return. Holtby is a quandary - looked good under Rene, but didn't perform under Magath, and doubtful he'd want to play in the Championship anyway.

We have to trim back and rebuild, and it makes sense to look at the most costly salaries and decide if they are worth it.

Andy S

Any Premiership player is going to want to be well paid to drop a league. I think we have enough good young players of our own to find a place to play without paying out big money for Holtby.
The championship is a different league with less money, more matches that are closer together and less tv money. If it takes a few years to get back up we will have the prospect of severe cutbacks. The parachute payments will not last forever. Because of the parachute money we are up there with the favourites for a return. Lets hope the bookies are right

JBH

Quote from: Andy S on May 13, 2014, 10:48:18 AM
Any Premiership player is going to want to be well paid to drop a league. I think we have enough good young players of our own to find a place to play without paying out big money for Holtby.
The championship is a different league with less money, more matches that are closer together and less tv money. If it takes a few years to get back up we will have the prospect of severe cutbacks. The parachute payments will not last forever. Because of the parachute money we are up there with the favourites for a return. Lets hope the bookies are right

You say that but in the team that got our last promotion to the Premiership we had a few well payed players such as Coleman, Clark, Collins, Finnan Goldbaek, Saha and Goma

Snibbo

Quote from: JBH on May 13, 2014, 11:42:19 AM

You say that but in the team that got our last promotion to the Premiership we had a few well payed players such as Coleman, Clark, Collins, Finnan Goldbaek, Saha and Goma

Well paid is fine, as long as they provide quality to match. Not sure many of our currently well paid squad provide the quality that the salary requires. e.g. who in our squad is anywhere near the quality that Saha had.

grandad

You can add EVDS, Malbranque, Legwinski, Boa Morte who were all on top money.
Where there's a will there's a wife

JBH

Quote from: grandad on May 13, 2014, 01:06:51 PM

You can add EVDS, Malbranque, Legwinski, Boa Morte who were all on top money.

Sorry Grandad but VDS, Steed and Leggy came in after we were promoted to the prem

Two Ton Ted

And we didn't sign Boa Morte permanently until we had gone up
Never ever bloody anything ever.

WhiteJC

World Cup 2014: Costa Rica call up Joel Campbell & Bryan Ruiz

England's World Cup group opponents Costa Rica have named Joel Campbell and Bryan Ruiz in their provisional 30-man squad for the finals in Brazil.

Campbell spent last season on loan at Olympiakos from Arsenal, while fellow forward Ruiz ended the campaign on loan at PSV from relegated Fulham.

Costa Rica, who are also in a group with Uruguay and Italy, face England in the final Group D game on 24 June.

They have until 2 June to name their final 23-man squad.

Everton defender Bryan Oviedo misses the tournament through injury having broken his leg against Stevenage in the FA Cup in January.

The Central Americans face Republic of Ireland in a warm-up friendly in the United States on 6 June.

Goalkeepers: Keylor Navas (Levante), Patrick Pemberton (Alajuelense) Daniel Cambronero (Herediano), Esteban Alvarado (AZ Alkmaar).

Defenders: Johnny Acosta (Alajuelense), Giancarlo Gonzalez (Columbus Crew), Michael Umana (Saprissa), Oscar Duarte (Bruges), Waylon Francis (Columbus Crew), Heiner Mora (Saprissa), Junior Diaz (Mainz 05), Christian Gamboa (Rosenborg), Roy Miller (New York Red Bulls), Kendall Waston (Saprissa).

Midfielders: Celso Borges (AIK), Christian Bolanos (Copenhagen), Esteban Granados (Herediano), Michael Barrantes (Aalesund), Yeltsin Tejeda (Saprissa), Diego Calvo (Valerenga), Jose Miguel Cubero (Herediano) Carlos Hernandez (Wellington Phoenix), Ariel Rodriguez (Alajuelense), Hansell Arauz (Saprissa).

Forwards: Alvaro Saborio (Real Salt Lake), Bryan Ruiz (PSV Eindhoven, on loan from Fulham), Joel Campbell (Olympiakos, on loan from Arsenal), Randall Brenes (Cartagines), Marco Urena (FC Kuban Krasnodar), Jairo Arrieta (Columbus Crew).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27388346

WhiteJC

Wigley Departs

Under-18s Manager Steve Wigley has announced his decision to leave Fulham Football Club with immediate effect.

Steve joined Fulham in the summer of 2012 and, under the stewardship of Huw Jennings, was integral in the development of young players. Last week saw the Under-18s marginally defeated in the FA Youth Cup Final.

Academy Director Jennings said: "It's very disappointing that Steve has left us, especially after such a successful period for the Under-18s. Steve was a great asset to Fulham, but he has received an offer in football that he felt compelled to accept, and impossible for us to persuade him otherwise.

"We wish Steve all the very best and thank him for his contribution during his time here."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/13/wigley-departs?

WhiteJC

Captain's Assessment

Whites skipper Brede Hangeland admits he's still struggling to come to terms with Fulham's relegation from the Barclays Premier League.

The Whites saw their 13-year stay at the top table of English football come to an end in 2013/14 and will start next season in the Championship.

"It has sunk in but it's still hard to get up in the morning," Hangeland told the official website. "It's going to stay with me for the rest of my life. It will get easier as time goes by but it's a hard fact to come to terms with."

Hangeland made 23 league appearances for the Whites in 2013/14 including the 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace on the final day of the campaign.

That game was essentially a dead rubber, Fulham having been relegated the weekend before after a 4-1 loss at Stoke City.

Hopes had been raised prior to the trip to the Potteries that survival could be attained. Back-to-back wins over Aston Villa and Norwich City had lifted spirits but a 2-2 draw with Hull City when the Whites had led 2-0 was a huge kick in the teeth.

"Looking back, we had a chance to survive," said Brede. "After the wins over Villa and Norwich we were confident. But over the season as a whole, we were far from good enough. With a bit of luck we might have saved ourselves from relegation but we probably deserved to go down.

"We have a good team on paper, the problem is so does everybody else. But looking at the squad, we should have had enough. But there are many, many reasons why we didn't succeed – too many to go into now."

One positive for the Club was the emergence of a host of players from Fulham's Academy. A total of 10 youngsters made their First Team debuts, while the Club's Under-18s reached the FA Youth Cup Final for the first time in their history.

"Our Academy is probably one of the best in the country," said Hangeland. "It looks good for the future and hopefully we'll see many of them go into the First Team.

"The aim is to get straight back up. I haven't seen any official goals but we're a club that belongs in the Premier League."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/13/captains-assessment?