News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why are we, again it seems, not going to sign a CM with forward passing range?

Started by Denver Fulham, August 31, 2014, 09:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denver Fulham

This is the fourth transfer window since we sold Dembele (and Dempsey), and Murphy left the club. Since then, we basically have played an assortment of Sidwell, Diarra, Parker, Karagounis plus assorted bodies this season post-relegation, and have been punished accordingly.

This has been a gigantic need for TWO YEARS NOW. Why is this not apparent to anyone who has the power to do something about it?

ffc73

If they are played correctly we have Hyndman, David and Eisfeld that can fill this void

Jamie88

Quote from: FFC73 on August 31, 2014, 10:18:22 PM
If they are played correctly we have Hyndman, David and Eisfeld that can fill this void

I would actually throw Christensen in there, he can be very creative from what I've seen.

MJG

totally agree,  why people keep harping on about a cm I just don't understand when you see David's passing yesterday.

EJL

We could do with a proper holding midfielder more than anything. 6'3+ destroyer.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: MJG on August 31, 2014, 10:36:49 PM
totally agree,  why people keep harping on about a cm I just don't understand when you see David's passing yesterday.

David played RM yesterday, and Magath doesn't seem to trust him centrally. You have to work within the parameters of reality. We may all THINK there are options, but a) they're 18 or 22 years old and b) Magath isn't playing them in that role. Yesterday, Hoogland was the deep-lying CM, behind Parker and Hyndman.

MJG

The only midfielder we need is a CDM

Denver Fulham

Quote from: MJG on August 31, 2014, 11:03:08 PM

Maybe my abbreviations/terminology is "American." That's what I'm talking about. A deep-lying central player with actual passing range to connect to the front 4/5.

MJG

Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 31, 2014, 11:18:30 PM

Maybe my abbreviations/terminology is "American." That's what I'm talking about. A deep-lying central player with actual passing range to connect to the front 4/5.
I think your asking for more of a deep lying playmaker rather than a defensive midfielder,  which is what we really need. All they have to do is break up play and lay it off to the others.

Toby Ward-Smith

Quote from: MJG on August 31, 2014, 11:28:25 PM

I think your asking for more of a deep lying playmaker rather than a defensive midfielder,  which is what we really need. All they have to do is break up play and lay it off to the others.

Someone like Mohammed Diame from West ham is who we need; strong breaks up play but also creates a number of chances and pops in with a few goals himself. He isn't really playing at West Ham so why not?

crazycottager

Quote from: EJL on August 31, 2014, 10:51:32 PM
We could do with a proper holding midfielder more than anything. 6'3+ destroyer.

I said we needed that in pre season, and I agree with you, free's up Hyndman and david

Pluto

Quote from: Toby Ward-Smith on August 31, 2014, 11:31:33 PM
Quote from: MJG on August 31, 2014, 11:28:25 PM

Someone like Mohammed Diame from West ham is who we need; strong breaks up play but also creates a number of chances and pops in with a few goals himself. He isn't really playing at West Ham so why not?

He isn't playing at West Ham because he's going to QPR.

Personally I think we have plenty of passers in David, Eisfeld, Hyndman and Christiansen, the latter two of which sit fairly deep.

Arthur

Despite his achievements prior to joining us (or because of them, even), I question whether Parker is doing enough for us. While he may be using his experience to help the likes of Hyndman and David, as far as I can see, our captain simply does not have a telling pass in him.

Around the time Cardiff scored on Saturday, Parker broke forward in our opponents' half and McCormack made a run into the centre-forward position, indicating that he wanted the ball played behind the centre-back in order to give him a one-on-one with the goalkeeper. It wasn't an easy pass because it had to be weighted just right, but it was only a 20-yard-or-so ball, so nor was it incredibly difficult. Parker, however, clearly had no conviction that he could put McCormack through on goal and didn't even attempt a pass. Instead he ran until he was closed down and then shot from distance.

It's no exaggeration to say that the result of an entire game can be affected by moments such as these and I see nothing to give me any faith that Parker will make a pass that leads to a goalscoring opportunity on anything other than an occasional basis.

And occasionally is not often enough - not if we still harbour any intention of challenging for a play-off spot, that is.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: EJL on August 31, 2014, 10:51:32 PM
I couldn't agree more.  We need this badly.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Arthur on September 01, 2014, 04:39:02 AM
Despite his achievements prior to joining us (or because of them, even), I question whether Parker is doing enough for us. While he may be using his experience to help the likes of Hyndman and David, as far as I can see, our captain simply does not have a telling pass in him.

Around the time Cardiff scored on Saturday, Parker broke forward in our opponents' half and McCormack made a run into the centre-forward position, indicating that he wanted the ball played behind the centre-back in order to give him a one-on-one with the goalkeeper. It wasn't an easy pass because it had to be weighted just right, but it was only a 20-yard-or-so ball, so nor was it incredibly difficult. Parker, however, clearly had no conviction that he could put McCormack through on goal and didn't even attempt a pass. Instead he ran until he was closed down and then shot from distance.

It's no exaggeration to say that the result of an entire game can be affected by moments such as these and I see nothing to give me any faith that Parker will make a pass that leads to a goalscoring opportunity on anything other than an occasional basis.

And occasionally is not often enough - not if we still harbour any intention of challenging for a play-off spot, that is.

I remember this play, too, and while it's a lot easier on TV to say "he should have made that pass," the play was there for the making and Parker begged off the opportunity. One good ball, and it could have been 2-0 and three points for us.

I just don't think Parker has a proper position on this team. He can't orchestrate from deep, he's not skilled enough to be worth playing in a more advanced role, and he often slows down promising attacks. We all know he wouldn't even be here if it weren't for his absurd contract, and I'm not sure he -- of all the possible guys to have kept from last season -- is helping, even if he seems to be trying out there.

Apprentice to the Maestro

I'd like to praise Hoogland for his performance on Saturday. He read the game well, made good interventions, was calm on the ball, scored and is now our top scorer. He looks at home in DCM and made the side (along with Burn) a lot more solid.

I am very pleased with David, Hyndman and Eisfeld. They have the qualities we need and will be learning and improving week-by-week.

My concern is with Parker. He did a few good things on Saturday, mainly when he was moving forward quickly into advanced positions, but generally he doesn't seem to have the positive influence on the game you would hope for as our most senior player and captain. He is not the rock stabilising the midfield like a Diarra, he is not making creative passes for assists to our forwards and he is not the general controlling the pace of the game and starting the next probing attack. He does a little of everying moderately well but rarely to man of the match level. And on Saturday he was substituted rather like Murphy in his last season for us. The trouble is we are probably stuck with him unless 'arry has a flashback and does us a great favour.

premFlem

agree theres no point having mcComack falling back trying to push us forward he should be up top all the time. if that makes sense.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

Skatzoffc

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on September 01, 2014, 10:47:03 AM
I'd like to praise Hoogland for his performance on Saturday. He read the game well, made good interventions, was calm on the ball, scored and is now our top scorer. He looks at home in DCM and made the side (along with Burn) a lot more solid.

I am very pleased with David, Hyndman and Eisfeld. They have the qualities we need and will be learning and improving week-by-week.

My concern is with Parker. He did a few good things on Saturday, mainly when he was moving forward quickly into advanced positions, but generally he doesn't seem to have the positive influence on the game you would hope for as our most senior player and captain. He is not the rock stabilising the midfield like a Diarra, he is not making creative passes for assists to our forwards and he is not the general controlling the pace of the game and starting the next probing attack. He does a little of everying moderately well but rarely to man of the match level. And on Saturday he was substituted rather like Murphy in his last season for us. The trouble is we are probably stuck with him unless 'arry has a flashback and does us a great favour.

:plus one: on all points

I share the concern with Parker, tho he had a better game than usual.

Hyndman was motm for me with Burn a close 2nd.

COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !