more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (16/05/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 15, 2014, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Bent: Fulham Will Bounce Back

Darren Bent is the first to admit that his season-long loan spell at Fulham did not pan out as planned.

The striker arrived on a temporary deal from Aston Villa in August having forged a reputation as a ruthless goalscorer throughout his career, but he struggled for consistency during his time in SW6.

His tally of six goals was the joint second best at the Club this season, but just three of those arrived in what was a disappointing Barclays Premier League campaign for everyone at Fulham.

"I've enjoyed my time down here but obviously it hasn't gone as well as I would have liked," Bent told the official website. "I haven't played as much football as I would have liked.

"When I first came here I hoped it was going to be a case of playing fairly regularly, but it just wasn't meant to be. But, like I said, I enjoyed my time down here and I'll always wish the Club all the best."

One of the reasons that the former England striker found game time hard to come by was due to the emergence of young talent in his position.

Moussa Dembélé and Cauley Woodrow will both count 2013/14 as their breakthrough campaign, and Bent admitted the Club can certainly find comfort in the quality of players emerging from the Academy.

"There are some fantastic youngsters coming through here," he stated. "You've got the likes of Moussa Dembélé, you've got Patrick Roberts, who both impressed in the FA Youth Cup Final.

"So I think definitely the future does look bright for Fulham and hopefully those players will come through next season and show what they're about."

Bent has suffered relegation before in his career with both Ipswich Town and Charlton Athletic, and he admitted it's not a pleasant feeling for a footballer.

"It's just so disappointing because nobody ever wants to go down," he said. "It's not a nice experience when a team gets relegated but hopefully the Club can bounce back next season and only be out of the Premier League for one year.

"It's been a case of us not having been good enough this season on some occasions but the important thing is to bounce back up as quick as possible. You don't want to be stuck in the Championship for a couple of years because it makes it more difficult to come back up."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/15/bent-fulham-will-bounce-back?

WhiteJC

May Internationals

As World Cup fever begins to take over, why not enjoy some pre-tournament action when the Nigerian and Italian football squads travel to Craven Cottage to take on Scotland and Republic of Ireland, respectively.

Nigeria v Scotland

In the first of the two Cottage internationals, Nigeria take on the Tartan Army on Wednesday 28th May, 8pm.

In what will be their final World Cup warm-up fixture, Nigeria can boast a number of well-recognised names in their provisional World Cup squad, including Stoke City striker Peter Odemwingie and Newcastle United forward Shola Ameobi, as well as Chelsea players Victor Moses and John Obi Mikel. 

Tickets for the clash against Gordon Strachan's Scotland are on sale now, priced from £25 adults and £10 juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/15/may-internationals?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Shahid Khan will make money available for additions at Fulham

Shahid Khan: Fulham owner will be making funds available this summer

Shahid Khan is prepared to bankroll a summer spending spree at Fulham as they look to bounce back into the Premier League at the first time of asking.

With their top flight status surrendered at the end of the 2013/14 campaign, those at Craven Cottage are determined to climb back up the ladder as quickly as possible.

Manager Felix Magath has vowed to stay on and lead the charge, but he will need to be backed in the transfer market if Fulham are to be competitive.

Khan insists he will be offering his full support, with the American billionaire prepared to take a financial hit in order to return the club to where it feels it belongs.

He said in Evening Standard: "This is not about balancing the books.

"I am committed and we are going to do whatever to get them back to the Premier League. It [relegation] is not what we wanted, but it is reality. What we have to do is build it for the long haul.

"We are going to do whatever it takes to put the best team on the field. I have talked to Felix and what we want to do is what is in the best interest of the team.

"The club have great assets and great fan support.

"Now we have got to get the football side right, where you build it from the ground up and it is something that lasts a long time."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9312426/transfer-news-shahid-khan-will-make-money-available-for-additions-at-fulham?

WhiteJC

Dejagah leads Iran's provisional World Cup squad

Carlos Quieroz has called up 28 players for the pre-tournament training camp, including captain Javad Nekounam and promising Rubin Kazan attacker Sardar Azmoun

Iran coach Carlos Queiroz has named a 28-man squad for their World Cup training camp in Austria.

Iran will take on Belarus and Montenegro in friendlies in the camp after more than two months without a competitive international.

The majority of the players are based in Iran, with 10 coming from international leagues - including goalkeeper Daniel Davari (Eintracht Braunschweig) and midfielder Ashkan Dejagah (Fulham).

Other internationally based players named include captain and midfielder Javad Nekounam (Al-Kuwait), Masoud Shojaei (Las Palmas), Alireza Jahanbakhsh (NEC), Reza Ghoochannejhad (Charlton Athletic), Sardar Azmoun (Rubin Kazan), Alireza Haghighi (Sporting Covilha), Steven Beitashour (Vancouver Whitecaps) and Pejman Montazeri (Umm Salal).

Azmoun is rumoured to be a transfer target of Premier League giants Arsenal, with the teenager impressing in the Russian Premier League this campaign with three goals from 13 appearances.

Iran take on Argentina, Nigeria and Bosnia-Herzegovina in Group F this summer.

SQUAD IN FULL:

Goalkeepers: Daniel Davari (Eintracht Braunschweig), Alireza Haghighi (Sporting Covilha), Rahman Ahmadi (Sepahan Esfahan), Sosha Makani (Foolad Khuzestan)

Defenders: Khosro Heydari (Esteghlal Tehran), Hossein Mahini (Persepolis Tehran), Steven Beitashour (Vancouver Whitecaps), Pejman Montazeri (Umm Salal), Jalal Hosseini (Persepolis Tehran), Amir-Hossein Sadeghi (Esteghlal Tehran), Mohammad-Reza Khanzadeh (Zob Ahan Esfahan), Ahmad Alenemeh (Naft Tehran), Hashem Beikzadeh (Esteghlal Tehran), Ehsan Hajsafi (Sepahan Esfahan), Mehrdad Pooladi (Persepolis Tehran)

Midfielders: Javad Nekounam (Kuwait SC), Andranik Teymourian (Esteghlal Tehran), Reza Haghighi (Persepolis Tehran), Ghasem Hadadifar (Zob Ahan Esfahan), Bakhtiar Rahmani (Foolad Khuzestan), Ashkan Dejagah (Fulham FC), Masoud Shojaei (UD Las Palmas), Alireza Jahanbakhsh (NEC Nijmegen), Mohammad-Reza Khalatbari (Persepolis Tehran)

Forwards: Mehdi Sharifi (Sepahan Esfahan), Reza Ghoochannejhad (Charlton Athletic), Karim Ansarifard (Tractor Sazi Tabriz), Sardar Azmoun (Rubin Kazan)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/3790/world-cup-2014/2014/05/15/4800825/-?

WhiteJC

Barrow Hedges Cup Final Preview

This week the Fulham FC Foundation visited Barrow Hedges Primary School in Surrey to preview their first ever appearance in the Sutton Borough Schools Cup Final.

Congratulations to the squad who have had an excellent season. They finished second in the league, were Surrey Cup runners-up, and reached the Borough Schools Cup Final.

Special thanks to the school for providing the Foundation with the opportunity to work with the pupils and teachers. Everyone at Fulham FC Foundation wishes Barrow Hedges the best of luck in their Final on Thursday 15th May.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/15/barrow-hedges-cup-final-preview?

WhiteJC

Cauley's Call-Up

Cauley Woodrow was left pleasantly surprised when he heard the news this week that he had won a call-up to the England Under-21 squad.

The young striker impressed in each of his six appearances for Fulham's First Team this season, and ended the campaign on a high when he opened his account for the Club with a sweet left-footed finish against Crystal Palace.

England U21 boss Gareth Southgate was clearly impressed with his progress, and rewarded him with international recognition for the Three Lions' European Championship Qualifier against Wales on Monday.

"I didn't have a clue about it," Woodrow admitted. "I didn't have any indication that I'd be anywhere near the squad so it was a real shock and a great moment for me – I'm very proud.

"I actually didn't get a call to tell me I'd made it in. I was on Twitter and a fan sent me something about it – I thought it was a joke!

"Then all of a sudden I got about 50 messages in five minutes, so I rang my agent and asked him to check. He confirmed it and then The FA sent me the email.

"It's been a bit crazy for me this week. It was nice for me to get my first goal and then to get an Under-21s call-up just topped it off really."

Woodrow is no stranger to international football having played for the Under-17s in the Algarve Tournament three years ago whilst a Luton Town player. In doing so he became the first non-league footballer to win an age-group cap since 1974.

He stated: "When I represented England before it was absolutely massive for me and a great honour, so now to get the call for the Under-21s is great because that's just one step below the first team. Hopefully I can go there and just do as well as I can."

The 19-year-old – who is the second youngest player in Southgate's squad – will be competing with the likes of Danny Ings, Wilfried Zaha, Saido Berahino and Harry Kane for game time at the Liberty Stadium on Monday.

"I was looking at the squad and all the lads have played loads of games," Woodrow said. "There are some really experienced players, especially the strikers, so it will be good for me to go there and see where I'm at."

In a pleasing twist of fate, there could be a strong Fulham flavour to the Home Nation clash, with Josh Pritchard and George Williams in the Dragons squad for the game. The latter, particularly, is a man Woodrow knows well.

"It's funny how things work out," he admitted. "I rang George on Tuesday and told him that I'll see him on Monday night and he didn't know what I was talking about! It will be nice if he plays and if I play, as it would be good to come up against each other."

After the Wales game, there is no respite for Woodrow as he makes up part of a younger squad that will travel to France to compete in the Toulon Tournament.

It's a competition at which the likes of Alan Shearer, Thierry Henry, David Ginola, Juan Riquelme and Jean-Pierre Papin have excelled in years gone by, and will provide young Woodrow with an opportunity to test himself on another high profile stage.

He explained: "It's an Under-20s tournament so a few of the lads who are in the squad for Monday night won't be going to it because they're too old, but I'm young enough to go. We've got Brazil in our group so it will be a good test going up against them."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/15/cauleys-call-up?

WhiteJC

Leicester leading West Brom, Fulham and Burnley in chase for Ben Hamer

LEICESTER are closing in on signing Charlton goalkeeper Ben Hamer.

Hamer could be on his way to the King Power Stadium in the summer[GETTY]

The 26-year-old is out of contract at The Valley and is yet to begin talks over fresh terms.

The Reading academy product has been a key performer in the Addicks' back-line since joining in 2011, and has since become one of the most sought-after stoppers in the Football League.

His recent performances to keep Charlton out of the Championship relegation zone have attracted interest from West Brom, Fulham and Burnley.

Logan, LeicesterLeicester are keen on replacing current number two choice Conrad Logan [GETTY]

The Foxes are understood to be leading the chase for Hamer and are keen on taking advantage of his contract situation.

The east Midlanders are in the market for a higher-standard of reinforcements following their promotion to the Premier League, with current back-up Conrad Logan unproven in the first-team.

Boss Nigel Pearson could also face losing star keeper Kasper Schmechiel, who is yet to agree personal terms with the club.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/476156/Leicester-leading-West-Brom-Fulham-and-Burnley-in-chase-for-Ben-Hamer?

WhiteJC

Arsenal Set To Re-Ignite Interest In Fulham Striker

Arsenal are said to be weighing up a summer move for Fulham striker Kostas Mitroglu this summer following the player's relegation from the Premier League, according to Football Direct News.

The Gunners had initially been interested in the Greek international before he made the switch to Cravan Cottage during the January transfer window.

And he is not set to bail on the west London side just six months after joining up with the Cottagers after failing to make an impact with them.

Injuries and failure to win the trust of manager Felix Magath have limited him to just a handful of appearances as the club battled relegation, and he is now looking for his second move in the space of a year.

Mitroglou was in superb form with the Greek champions in the first half of the season where he scored 14 times in 12 league matches as well as three goals in the Champions League.

Italian giants Inter Milan are also said to be interested in the 26-year-old, but Fulham will look to make back most of the £12m they paid Olympiakos for him at the start of the year.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/05/15/arsenal-set-to-re-ignite-interest-in-fulham-striker/?

WhiteJC

Stoke and West Ham lead the chase for out-of-contract Fulham star Steve Sidwell

Steve Sidwell in demand with Fulham contract due to end

Stoke and West Ham among the teams keen on his services

Stoke are keen on a deal for Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell who is out of contract this summer.

The 31-year-old has been attracting interest from West Ham manager Sam Allardyce, but Mark Hughes is keen to take him to the Britannia Stadium as he looks to continue his re-shaping of Stoke's football style.

The former Arsenal, Chelsea and Aston Villa man was one of the Cottagers' few consistent performers this season but was unable to stop them being relegated after a run of 13 seasons in the Premier League.

On the move: Steve Sidwell is a man in demand following Fulham's relegation from the Premier League

Admirer: West Ham manager Sam Allardyce is believed to be keen on Sidwell

Keen: Stoke manager Mark Hughes also wants to sign Sidwell

Hughes managed Sidwell during his season as Fulham boss in 2010-11 and has been quick to identify the ex-England Under-21 player as someone who could do a job for Stoke.

Fulham manager Felix Magath is preparing for a summer of change and has already ordered his underperforming stars in for extra end-of-season training sessions in order to help him decide who is worthy of keeping in the Championship.

Meanwhile, the club's owner Shahid Khan has already expressed a desire to invest heavily in the club in order to ensure a quick return to the top-flight.

He said: 'This is not about balancing the books.

'I am committed and we are going to do whatever to get them back to the Premier League. It (relegation) is not what we wanted, but it is reality. What we have to do is build it for the long haul.

'We are going to do whatever it takes to put the best team on the field. I have talked to Felix and what we want to do is what is in the best interest of the team.'

Forced exit: With Sidwell out of contract Magath may have no opportunity to keep him

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2629859/Stoke-West-Ham-lead-chase-contract-Fulham-star-Steve-Sidwell.html#ixzz31qZW02wy
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Troubled Greek striker Kostas Mitroglou in World Cup team

Troubled striker in
Striker Kostas Mitroglou has been named in Greece's preliminary World Cup squad despite his troubled move to relegated English Premier League side Fulham, but injured-plagued defender Kyriakos Papadopoulos has not been included. Greece's soccer association released the names of the 30-player squad late on Wednesday, with the final 23-man squad to be announced on Monday. Mitroglou, 26, sent Greece to the finals in Brazil, scoring three goals for a 4-2 aggregate win over Romania in the playoffs. But he has struggled since his move to London.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/troubled-greek-striker-kostas-mitroglou-in-world-cup-team-20140515-38cwg.html#ixzz31qaJiYhc

bobby01

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 16, 2014, 04:44:32 AM

The 26-year-old is out of contract at The Valley and is yet to begin talks over fresh terms.

The Reading academy product has been a key performer in the Addicks' back-line since joining in 2011, and has since become one of the most sought-after stoppers in the Football League.

His recent performances to keep Charlton out of the Championship relegation zone have attracted interest from West Brom, Fulham and Burnley.

Logan, LeicesterLeicester are keen on replacing current number two choice Conrad Logan [GETTY]

The Foxes are understood to be leading the chase for Hamer and are keen on taking advantage of his contract situation.

The east Midlanders are in the market for a higher-standard of reinforcements following their promotion to the Premier League, with current back-up Conrad Logan unproven in the first-team.

Boss Nigel Pearson could also face losing star keeper Kasper Schmechiel, who is yet to agree personal terms with the club.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/476156/Leicester-leading-West-Brom-Fulham-and-Burnley-in-chase-for-Ben-Hamer?

WHY, Etheridge and Bettinelli waiting in the wings , what is our fixation with having to have loads of keepers.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

JBH

Quote from: bobby01 on May 16, 2014, 06:23:47 AM
Quote from: WhiteJC on May 16, 2014, 04:44:32 AM

WHY, Etheridge and Bettinelli waiting in the wings , what is our fixation with having to have loads of keepers.

Who says its our fixation, Is it on the club's website? No this is just a piece by a journo that is pure speculation and rumour! :doh:

FPT

Quote from: bobby01 on May 16, 2014, 06:23:47 AM

Goalkeepers aren't like midfielders or strikers, you can't chuck them on for 20 minutes for some game time, they have to play as much as anyone, so with Maarten Stekelenburg likely leaving, David Stockdale is going to need an understudy/understudy someone. Let the young goalkeepers go out and play, otherwise they won't improve, and they'll never become number one.

WhiteJC

Life after Fulham and beyond

It all started on July 18th 2010 with a strap line that read, "Where next for the Europa League runners up?"

Retrieve those old ESPNSoccernet Fulham pages from the web and you will find both the newly appointed site blogger and our posters bubbling with optimism and positive thoughts for the season ahead. It's true, Fulham FC were between managers at the time. But I took it as a good omen -- and timely boost to my ego -- when the ESPN blog published breaking news that summer of Mark Hughes appointment a full 12 hours ahead of the BBC. We were up and running.

Now the journey ends in shock and bewilderment by examining how on earth could Fulham sink to such an abysmal level, epitomised by the most porous defence in the division? And the question for May 2104: what chance does the team have in the Championship?

Firstly, some observations on Sunday and Fulham's 38th game of a sorry season. Even the weather was sombre as the Whites managed, barely, to have the final word in this London derby. Twice behind to this enterprising Crystal Palace side, Chris David served up a cracker in stoppage time to prevent a 25th defeat of the season. Before that the Hammersmith End were also on their feet to salute another fine strike in Cauley Woodrow's first goal for the seniors.

Five changes from Felix Magath however, in keeping with his time with the club, failed to produce a winning formula. The kids were kept under wraps, apart from the two scorers, and that decision was the right one. The senior players brought Fulham down to this level. It is only just they should be the ones to make the walk of shame at the final whistle.

GettyImages
Chris David celebrates after snatching a point for Fulham against Palace deep into stoppage time.

While it is a redundant exercise to examine this match in any depth, Magath surely would accept Palace did not have to work hard for either of their goals. Fulham's failings in defence were apparent to the end. The German tyro went on record lamenting the lack of fight shown in battling relegation, comparing Fulham's attitude disparagingly to the likes of Sunderland.

A damning indictment indeed for all responsible in just how rotten the body politic down at the Cottage had become. For which, blame rests squarely on the shoulders of Martin Jol. Magath only managed three wins, as did his two predecessors. But surely Rene Meulensteen deserved backing in mid-February? How much was the Dutchman hampered by those redundant figures parachuted in to muddy the waters? And is it not significant that Louis van Gaal seems prepared to bring Rene back into the fold at United?

The final word on the madness that took hold at Craven Cottage this season? The players were instructed to return this week for additional training before allowed to head for the beach. We can all guess how committed they must have been to that pointless exercise! Many have thankfully donned the white jersey for the last time.

For this blogger, too, it is the end of the line. But for the club just the close of a chapter. Shahid Khan promises the necessary funds to return Fulham to the top flight after one season in the Championship. His fiery programme notes showed here is a character ready to come out fighting rather than throw in the towel. Such are the riches distributed from TV revenues. Fulham slip down a division while banking a bigger pay cheque than Manchester United received last season for winning the title. So for now the funds are there to make the Whites a force on the Championship.

But a note of caution. I also heard Fulham's all-time record goal scorer Gordon Davies on the radio at the weekend. Preparing for his matchday hosting duties Sunday he reckoned the Cottagers might need one season of adjustment before making it back. I have a feeling that may be the case.

Life after Fulham? Well, for your correspondent a landmark event in June. I wrote a play called Tomorrow Never Knows in 2010 and now we have our world premiere June 4th. Knowing how much Americans fell in love with the Beatles, I very much hope to bring it to the USA next year.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/2119?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Fulham striker Cauley Woodrow called up to England U21 side

England U21 boss Gareth Southgate has called up Fulham striker Cauley Woodrow to his 25 man squad for the European Championship qualifier against Wales and for the Toulon Tournament according to transfermarkt.co.uk.

The 19-year old striker has risen to fame after being given a chance in the Premier League by manager Felix Magath. The youngster impressed many with his displays for the now Championship club and is expected to be a key player in their push for promotion.

This past season he went out on loan to Southend United where he made 18 league appearances whilst scoring twice. When he returned he was playing for Fulham Reserves whilst trying to survive amongst the managerial merry-go-round that was occurring at the club.

Felix Magath became the most recent manager for the club and gave Woodrow his first chance at the Premier League. In that time he made six appearances and scored a goal against Crystal Palace in a 2-2 draw on the final matchday.

He has impressed Southgate enough to gain a place in his 25 man squad for their following fixtures and it is likely that he will play upfront either with Saido Berahino, Harry Kane, Danny Ings or Solly March.

He is expected to take part in these fixtures and will be aiming to prove the quality he has to his manager and coaches.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-striker-cauley-woodrow-called-up-to-england-u21-side/?

WhiteJC

Inter Milan target deals for Fulham duo

Italian Serie A side Inter Milan are plotting a summer swoop for Fulham duo Kostas Mitroglou and Alexander Kaciniklic according to Italian newspaper Tuttosport.

The Italian giants are planning this surprising swoop to land the Fulham duo in the summer to bulk up their squad for European competition.

Kostas Mitroglou has been a Fulham flop since joining in January for a club record fee of £12 million from Olympiakos and it is likely that he would be available for nearly half of what they paid for him as a result of their relegation from the Premier League. The Greek international has recently been called up to the World Cup squad and despite being 26, he has vast experience in the Champions League.

Mitroglou is among a shortlist of five strikers including Edin Dzeko and Fernando Torres but it seems the Greek may be the cheapest option. The 26-year old has proven to be a prolific goalscorer when played but he just never seemed to get the opportunity at Fulham to prove this.

Swedish winger Alexander Kaciniklic has been at Fulham since joining from Liverpool in 2012. He was once a first team player at the club under Martin Jol but during this past season he has fallen out of favour. It seems that Inter see the talent the former Liverpool trainee possesses and they want to show it and are planning to bid for him in the summer.

During his playing stint under Jol, he showed some real promise and some terrific ability but injury cut-short his chances and loan spells at Watford and Burnley followed.

Both players are likely to be available on a cut-price deal as a result of Fulham's relegation into the Sky Bet Championship and the club will be looking for the best financial deal for themselves.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/inter-milan-target-deals-for-fulham-duo/?

WhiteJC

Could Spurs look to £12m 'flop' to solve their striker problems?

Following Fulham's relegation from the Premier League, Kostas Mitroglou is available for transfer this summer.

With Tim Sherwood being relieved of managerial duties at Tottenham following the culmination of an uninspiring season, the White Hart Lane playing squad is set to be assessed this summer.

One area of contention is in attack, with Emmanuel Adebayor seemingly the only proven player that Spurs can rely on.

Although Harry Kane has shown the required promise and Roberto Soldado can only improve, the North London club are being linked with a host of new strikers in the press.

Although the likes of Loic Remy and numerous others are being coined as potential targets, Spurs could well look to London rivals Fulham for a striker that could be a shrewd acquisition.

The Cottagers' acquisition of Kostas Mitroglou in January was seen as something of a coup, with the Greece international showing lethal form for Olympiakos both domestically and in the Champions League.

The forward's time in England has been blighted by injuries, with Felix Magath's charges not getting the best from their big-money signing.

However, with Fulham set to offload their highest earners, the Greek attacker looks almost certain to leave Craven Cottage.

Available for around £10 million, Mitroglou will be in demand given his reputation in his homeland, and was linked to some major clubs before moving to Fulham.

SEE ALSO: Are Chelsea about to get another Willian type win over Tottenham?

The 26-year-old is set to lead the line for Greece at the World Cup and a goal or two could well spark interest in the forward's services.

Tottenham are looking for an attacker with a proven record of hitting the net and although his time at Fulham has been less than convincing, a move for Mitroglou could well be a shrewd decision.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/05/16/could-spurs-look-to-12m-flop-to-solve-their-striker-problems/?

WhiteJC

Sidwell Going?

Although Steve Sidwell expressed a desire to remain at Craven Cottage, despite our relegation to the Championship, it appears that his Fulham career is now over.

Reports, appearing in a tabloid publication, indicate that Mark Hughes, at Stoke City, has moved quickly to secure the services of a player who is out of contract and a free agent.

Last season Sidwell, it has to be said, was one of our most consistent performers and I had hoped that a deal could be done to utilize his powerful play to assist us in our quest to get out of the Championship at the first attempt.

Unfortunately it appears that this was a forlorn hope and the realization will soon hit home that Sidwell will, quite probably, be the first of many to leave Craven Cottage this summer as the squad is re-shaped, by Felix Magath, ahead of the coming season.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=359169#ixzz31tCxZdfs