more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

World Cup

Started by mikeyffc28, May 16, 2014, 04:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

Quote from: TWFL on May 17, 2014, 11:08:09 AM
Think the Dutch have been underestimated here. A lot of young prospects in the squad but nevertheless still a force to be reckoned with. They'll play a lot nicer football this time around too.

Edit: Although having said that, I've just looked at their group and seen Spain in it meaning they'll probably finish second which will give them a knockout tie versus Brasil which won't end well. So scrap that shout.

Also, I don't think their young prospects match ours.

We completely underestimate the quality we have, and if there's anybody that can get a group of written off underdogs to perform,... it's Roy Hodgson.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: theFFCfan on May 17, 2014, 02:53:04 PM
Just gunna put it out there because no one else has yet. must be one of the first times the England team doesn't have the pressure of the whole country's expectations to win on them, we always think , this time we could do it. But with the squad of youngsters and our tough group the feeling is different. So the pressure is off( for the time being). Also surely us fulham fans deserve some reward from the footballing gods for going week in week out this past year....

I really don't understand why we're often touted as being one of the teams to win it. We've done nothing of note in an international tournament since Venables was manager. We have one world class player in Rooney, and even then he doesn't do it at international level any more. We'll struggle past the group and then get ironed out by one of the big guns. Which is standard for us!
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

theFFCfan

[quote author=BigbadBillyMcKinley link=topic=39625.msg536013#msg536013 date=year..
I really don't understand why we're often touted as being one of the teams to win it. We've done nothing of note in an international tournament since Venables was manager. We have one world class player in Rooney, and even then he doesn't do it at international level any more. We'll struggle past the group and then get ironed out by one of the big guns. Which is standard for us!
[/quote]

Because we have the best league in the world, and it's just the English mindset. We believe we can do it, we love an underdog, and let's be honest we always have been one. Plus this year, Fulham fans need something to cheer about ....

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: theFFCfan on May 17, 2014, 03:11:53 PM
[quote author=BigbadBillyMcKinley link=topic=39625.msg536013#msg536013 date=year..

Because we have the best league in the world, and it's just the English mindset. We believe we can do it, we love an underdog, and let's be honest we always have been one. Plus this year, Fulham fans need something to cheer about ....
[/quote]

Yeah, the best league but mostly foreign players. Something neds to be done to maximise the amount of English players in the top flight. We won't progress otherwise.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Denver Fulham

It's winter in Brazil, so unless you're playing in the Northeast or in Manaus, it won't be that hot.

I like Germany's draw. They should win Group G and get a favorable R16 matchup, and a lot of the heavyweight sides are on the other side of the draw from them.

Julius Geezer

Going for a big each way bet on France at 25/1.

Watch how they win their Group with ease and go on to a France/Argentina final at 50/1!

Deanothefulhamfan

I think Chile have a great chance and are a team I will be putting money on..... One tournament too soon for Belgium imo.

England have a great squad for the first time in ages.... youth, pace and creativity, I think we will get through our group but will go out in the quarters.

France are a very decent shout from the European teams

ProfficerFFC

Chile are on current form probably better than Argentina and Belgium.They were really impressive in qualifiers(and if Sampaoli had been there the whole qualification process they would have won the CONMEBOL eliminatorias without breaking a sweat) and friendlies(Drew with Brazil in Brazil,outplayed and almost beat Spain,won at Wembley and outplayed Germany IN Germany,but somehow managed to lose 1-0 due to very poor finishing).They do have an extremely tough draw but if they win their group of death(which I think they will) they could easily reach the semis/final.Otherwise they'll be eliminated by Brazil in 1/8 fin.I'll certainly be rooting for them.

Argentina have an easy draw and I fully expect them to reach at least the semifinals.Colombia ,who are very well organized,and Uruguay with their "garra charrúa" are also very good shouts.

Belgium do have a fantastic team,but they have become a bit of a bubble recently.Their Time will come in 2018.
Brazil will most likely win this though.

Big Martin Jol

Brazil, Uruguay, Spain, France, the Netherlands, Germany, Argentina, Belgium and Italy will all expect to do well - and that's the beauty of the tournament, because half of those teams will have been knocked out in the quarter final stage at the very latest.

I'd love to see Belgium win and obviously it would be fantastic if England could make it out of a tough group and go on a little bit of a run. But both are teams with one eye on the future.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

YankeeJim

I really think this is going to be total South American show. They seem to have the best teams this time around, their home and if the anti WC riots in Brazil don't get in the way it could be 3-4 South American teams in the semis. Germany is always Germany but I don't think they have enough attack. Italy falls down too much & Spain will prove the last few years have been an aberration & they'll return to failure. I don't understand the belief in France at all. I like Belgium but they are probably two years early & likely don't have the depth. The Dutch, to me, are on a bit of a down cycle. England? God save the queen. It possible that there will be no English speaking squads in the knockout phase. The poor Aussies are lambs to the slaughter and we Yanks are likely sheep to the slaughter. we have a small chance of getting out of group but not much more. You English are slightly better off   because you have Roy and some good youngsters. If any of the three get out of group I don't think any will see the quarters.

It will not be a good cup this time around.  :012:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Zu-Meister

vidal just had an operation, and hes one of their key players. hopefully he will be fit.

valdeingruo

If its not a South American team that wins it, I would put my money on Germany.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi