watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

World Cup

Started by mikeyffc28, May 16, 2014, 04:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyffc28

Is it too soon to start asking who people think are going to win the World Cup? 

I have a feeling that Belgium might be in contention.  :033: Their potential starting line up is just quality from top to bottom: 

Cortouis,
Vertonghen  Kompany Van Buyten Vermaelen
Chadli     Dembele     De Bruyne   Mirallas
          Lukaku       Hazard

That line up is excluding such names as: Mignolet, Defour,   Auderweld, Fellaini and Januzaj.   

FPT

Brazil. They have the home field advantage and the talent. Neymar, Willian, Oscar, Hulk and Fred as well as Thiago Silva, Dante and David Luis at the back. They'll have the advantage in every game they play, adjusted to the heat and with the majority of the crowd on their side.

I can't see anybody touching Brazil, and they'll win their 6th World Cup.

I don't know how to embed videos but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-rI2RST_CY

grandad

Doubt it will be anyone except a South American side except an outside chance Spain or Germany. Belgium possibly if they play to their potential.
Where there's a will there's a wife

mikeyffc28

I know there is all the hype about South American teams having the advantage because of European teams not being able to hack the heat etc but surely the teams will be training over the coming weeks in an appropriate location to be adjusted to play in the heat and build their stamina to cope with the demands.

YankeeJim

The final will be played before 220,000 rabid Brazil fans. The only way Brazil loses is early. If they get to the round of 16 they'll win it all.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Blanco

I have a suspicion that Brazil won't win it. I'm not liking some of Scolaris player choices. I think he's left out some quality players who have had a great season, i.e Diego Alves, Miranda, Luisao, among others. Anyway, I don't think they'll win it. It's got to be a south american team to win though. If not, Spain would be the logical choice.

I have a slap bet with my brother that Belgium will get to the semi's on the Euro 2016. Think they have a great chance. I don't think they'll get that far in the world cup though.

Macedo

Quote from: mikeyffc28 on May 16, 2014, 04:44:35 PM
I know there is all the hype about South American teams having the advantage because of European teams not being able to hack the heat etc but surely the teams will be training over the coming weeks in an appropriate location to be adjusted to play in the heat and build their stamina to cope with the demands.

No European side has won it when staged in South America.
And they want do this time either..

Sgt Fulham

For me Belgium has no chance despite the talent they have they just have not gelled and do not have a proper top 5 in the world striker. I'd go for Brazil, Spain, Germany with an outside bet on Argentina - but who knows?

Burt

I don't rate Brazil this time relative to other world cups, not as strong a squad and Big Phil is not everyone's cup of tea.

That said, the home support will be phenomenal and will count for a lot. Best chance of any of the South Armerican teams.

From the Europeans, Spain and Germany are the best bets. Belgium are the dark horses. England are the no-hopers...

JackyFulham90

Spain, Germany, Brazil & Argentina are the favourites.

I also expect Belgium, England & Chile to do well.

Some quality teams in this world cup the toughest one yet I think.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I'll say Brazil but I'll be supporting Belgium. England are pony, and any team with Milner and Cleverly in it, deserves to lose in the opening stages.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

ToodlesMcToot

Brazil. Fact!,.....IMHO.

Would love to see Belgium win it. They have the talent to do it, but I think they'll come up short of confidence against a bigger, more experienced team eventually.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Pluto

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on May 16, 2014, 08:05:12 PM
I'll say Brazil but I'll be supporting Belgium. England are pony, and any team with Milner and Cleverly in it, deserves to lose in the opening stages.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

Errrr Cleverley didn't make the squad....

Brazil have a clear advantage but I don't rate Scolari and all the pressure is on them to win it. I think Argentina are a good bet- their forward line of Messi, Aguero and Higuain is terrifying. I can't see any team keeping them out.

IranianCottager

Go Dejagah! Go Iran!

Rhys Lightning 63

CHI CHI CHI, LE LE LE, VIVA CHILE!!!
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

HatterDon

I'll be rooting for the US, but also following all Fulham players. I hope Ashkan has a brilliant tourney. Go Iran!!!!!!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

glenhodgso

Quote from: Macedo on May 16, 2014, 04:55:41 PM
Quote from: mikeyffc28 on May 16, 2014, 04:44:35 PM

No European side has won it when staged in South America.
And they want do this time either..

:plus one:

TWFL

Think the Dutch have been underestimated here. A lot of young prospects in the squad but nevertheless still a force to be reckoned with. They'll play a lot nicer football this time around too.

Edit: Although having said that, I've just looked at their group and seen Spain in it meaning they'll probably finish second which will give them a knockout tie versus Brasil which won't end well. So scrap that shout.

Pluto

Quote from: TWFL on May 17, 2014, 11:08:09 AM
Think the Dutch have been underestimated here. A lot of young prospects in the squad but nevertheless still a force to be reckoned with. They'll play a lot nicer football this time around too.

Edit: Although having said that, I've just looked at their group and seen Spain in it meaning they'll probably finish second which will give them a knockout tie versus Brasil which won't end well. So scrap that shout.

Really.....?! I think their squad is worse than ours! Full of average players like Ron Vlaar (their best defender!), Dirk Kuyt, Leroy Fer...and players who couldn't cut it in the PL like Karim Rekik and Patrick Van Aanholt. I'd be surprised if they made  it pas the group stages.

theFFCfan

Just gunna put it out there because no one else has yet. must be one of the first times the England team doesn't have the pressure of the whole country's expectations to win on them, we always think , this time we could do it. But with the squad of youngsters and our tough group the feeling is different. So the pressure is off( for the time being). Also surely us fulham fans deserve some reward from the footballing gods for going week in week out this past year....