watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

UEFA has fined Manchester City

Started by love4ffc, May 18, 2014, 12:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

60m euros (£49m) and restricted their Champions League squad to 21 for next season following the breach of Financial Fair Play rules.

Read more here
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11679/9314389/uefa-fine-manchester-city-60m-euros-and-restrict-champions-league-squad

I for one I'm glad. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Deanothefulhamfan

PSG got hit with a similar fine.... Rules are there for a reason, and it is good that these sort of teams are being punished

Putney

It's a farce that rich clubs like Man City and PSG are being fined instead of banned whilst smaller clubs in debt are being banned outright. UEFA is set up to protect the big clubs & leagues, there is no fair play here.

grandad

But £32 million is suspended. Why? The fines should go to grass roots football.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Humbled

49 million fines for this whilst racism gets a 15k fine? Seems strange to me.

The Rock

We're a rich club. I think you mean "Rich club with owners that spend". I am not saying Khan won't spend, but 12m on a flop striker so far makes him look like a buffoon.

MJG

Quote from: grandad on May 18, 2014, 02:51:05 PM
But £32 million is suspended. Why? The fines should go to grass roots football.
I think thats down to City agreeing with UEFA not to take them to court. I'm sure UEFA just wanted fine issued and paid, but now as long as they do not break the sanctions agreed then they will not be fined, if they do then the money is to be paid.

alfie

I understand the feelings on this matter, but lets not forget the 200mil that MAF spent on us, was that fair on teams below us?

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

BigbadBillyMcKinley

From what I've read, if they adhere to the regulations they only have to pay £17million. If they continue to over spend then they have to pay the rest.
But for Man City in particular, this is serious small fry. The Monsoor family are worth £550 BILLION or something unbelievable. I think thye can afford it.
They need to be docked points or kicked out of the competition. But then that'll be bad for the tv revenues and therefore the money to UEFA.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

YankeeJim

Quote from: The Rock on May 18, 2014, 03:20:48 PM
We're a rich club. I think you mean "Rich club with owners that spend". I am not saying Khan won't spend, but 12m on a flop striker so far makes him look like a buffoon.

Dude.... :dead horse:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Pluto

Let's not kid ourselves, these rules were designed to keep the big clubs big and the smaller clubs in their place. If City have owners with money, why shouldn't they be able to spend it as they see fit? I'd rather see new teams competing with the big boys than Man United every year, which I'm sure UEFA would love if they had their way.

love4ffc

Quote from: Humbled on May 18, 2014, 03:04:55 PM
49 million fines for this whilst racism gets a 15k fine? Seems strange to me.

Totally agree

Barrie

Is this the same type of sanction QPR are facing if promoted?

JBH

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on May 18, 2014, 02:13:14 PM
PSG got hit with a similar fine.... Rules are there for a reason, and it is good that these sort of teams are being punished

Unfortunately UEFA do not take into account all of the work Man City have done in redeveloping the area around the stadium which has only been possible because of the finacial investments made.

Until they bring in salary capping then the rich clubs will always find ways of getting around the finacial rules put in place.

love4ffc

Until they bring in salary capping then the rich clubs will always find ways of getting around the finacial rules put in place.
[/quote]
completely agree

Forever Fulham

What steps would you require a club to take to address racism?  You have to separate the club from its fans.  Indeed, some of those racists in the stands aren't really team fans as much as they are there to vent their hate.  They might not even be true fans, just lowlifes who enjoy name calling and insulting.  When a club spends way more than it receives in revenues, and breaks FFP rules, that's an activity directly controllable by the club.  But what about voices screaming racist chants or throwing banana peels from the 15th row?  That's not something directly and easily controlled by the club.  Racists walk through the turnstiles looking like thousands of other lower socio-economic true fans who don't engage in such behaviour.  And then they take their seats, bide their time, and then shout out their foul and hurtful comments from relative anonymity. Sure, they can be removed and banned.  But others take their place so to speak.  So I can understand why a breach of FFP rules would receive a much higher fine than failure to effectively stop racist behaviour would.    No racist is going to wear a shirt saying, "Hey, look at me!  I'm a racist!  And I hate all black people."  Rooting these people out of their stadium isn't all that easy.  It bugged me no end to see how some Italian football 'fans' treated Balotelli.  But is playing a game in an empty stadium as punishment the right solution?