watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR..Messi New Barca Deal

Started by Macedo, May 20, 2014, 06:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macedo

Signed New Deal To 2018, worth 20 million Euros a season.
Oh to be a talented footballer in this day and age..Games gone crazy.
Or is it the Worlds gone crazy.?

Deanothefulhamfan

This is before sponsorship.... Crazy amount of money in today's game

BigbadBillyMcKinley

What is it per week, anyone know??

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Berserker

I expect Messi will give alot to charity or other useful causes
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

cmg

Well, if they're going to dish out that kind of crazy numbers, at least they're dishing it out to the right bloke.

One of the best I've ever seen.

God The Mechanic

He's arguably the best (albeit not this season) and most marketable at what he does in a sector that makes an astounding amount of money.

Jack Fulham

I wonder if he will pay tax on this one.

cmg

Quote from: Jack Fulham on May 20, 2014, 08:56:51 AM
I wonder if he will pay tax on this one.

064.gif   064.gif

Good one!

(What was it that Ruud Gullit said when he signed for Chelsea, "Netto"?)

Blanco

Messi has been crap lately. Doesn't seem to care about the club. Just leaving himself for the world cup. Nothing like awarding a player with a 20 million euro a year contract for all the walking he does during matches. But its all ok because its the magnificent Messi!

domprague

What is wrong with Fulham? Why didn't we bid for him? This club has no ambition.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

FPT

Footballers are assets to football clubs. The name "Lionel Messi" is household, his shirt sells EVERYWHERE, he's the best in the world.

There's a hell of a lot of money in football these days, I mean we got something like £62m from getting relegated...

To be that rich - yes, but he deserves to be the best paid footballer in the world.

Blanco

Quote from: FPT on May 20, 2014, 10:45:51 AM
Footballers are assets to football clubs. The name "Lionel Messi" is household, his shirt sells EVERYWHERE, he's the best in the world.

There's a hell of a lot of money in football these days, I mean we got something like £62m from getting relegated...

To be that rich - yes, but he deserves to be the best paid footballer in the world.

It's a matter of opinion who the best is. Annoys me when people just claim he's th best like its a matter of fact and carved in stone.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Blanco on May 20, 2014, 10:22:08 AM
Messi has been crap lately. Doesn't seem to care about the club. Just leaving himself for the world cup. Nothing like awarding a player with a 20 million euro a year contract for all the walking he does during matches. But its all ok because its the magnificent Messi!

http://i.imgur.com/HHHRBNG.jpg

Blanco

Quote from: God The Mechanic on May 20, 2014, 11:16:22 AM

First of all. Messis worst season was gis first with 1 goal in 7 games. Second you missed Ronaldo with 60 goals? Also ronaldo has 251 goals in 246 appearances for Madrid. Better than Messis  ratio. I for one would rather have ronaldo Iin my team anyday over that whining argentinian. He was quoted saying yesterday,  "if I dont feel the love from Barcelona I might have to consider my options". Obviously the 400 odd K per week isn't enough love.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Blanco on May 20, 2014, 11:52:12 AM

First of all. Messis worst season was gis first with 1 goal in 7 games. Second you missed Ronaldo with 60 goals? Also ronaldo has 251 goals in 246 appearances for Madrid. Better than Messis  ratio. I for one would rather have ronaldo Iin my team anyday over that whining argentinian. He was quoted saying yesterday,  "if I dont feel the love from Barcelona I might have to consider my options". Obviously the 400 odd K per week isn't enough love.

Ronaldo's worst was 3 in 25, if we're going down that route.  But the point was to show that other players that were deemed fantastic, exceptional even, have never had a season as good as Messi (in his "prime"'s) worst.  Messi has not been "crap" by any stretch of the imagination.  Not as good as last year, and the year before sure, but definitely not crap.

And to compare Ronaldo's stats for RM alone to Messi's for Barca discounts the inconsistency of youth.  Comparing like for like time periods (and with Messi being younger, so less developed and mature/experienced) Messi has a better goals per game ratio.

I didn't intend my first comment to become a Ronaldo-Messi comparison (again) and did didn't have to become one.  All I was showing was that while Messi may not have been as good as he has been in the past, he has had by no means a poor season.  You have to take into account the injury he had for a fair portion of it too, for his style of play that type of injury will set you back a bit.

As for the "not feeling the love" bit, it's a job.  If you don't like your job and don't feel appreciated then you're probably gonna look elsewhere.  Irrespective of how much you get paid to do it, that can't be hard to grasp?

Blanco

Quote from: God The Mechanic on May 20, 2014, 12:37:09 PM
Quote from: Blanco on May 20, 2014, 11:52:12 AM

First of all. Messis worst season was gis first with 1 goal in 7 games. Second you missed Ronaldo with 60 goals? Also ronaldo has 251 goals in 246 appearances for Madrid. Better than Messis  ratio. I for one would rather have ronaldo Iin my team anyday over that whining argentinian. He was quoted saying yesterday,  "if I dont feel the love from Barcelona I might have to consider my options". Obviously the 400 odd K per week isn't enough love.

Ronaldo's worst was 3 in 25, if we're going down that route.  But the point was to show that other players that were deemed fantastic, exceptional even, have never had a season as good as Messi (in his "prime"'s) worst.  Messi has not been "crap" by any stretch of the imagination.  Not as good as last year, and the year before sure, but definitely not crap.

And to compare Ronaldo's stats for RM alone to Messi's for Barca discounts the inconsistency of youth.  Comparing like for like time periods (and with Messi being younger, so less developed and mature/experienced) Messi has a better goals per game ratio.

I didn't intend my first comment to become a Ronaldo-Messi comparison (again) and did didn't have to become one.  All I was showing was that while Messi may not have been as good as he has been in the past, he has had by no means a poor season.  You have to take into account the injury he had for a fair portion of it too, for his style of play that type of injury will set you back a bit.

As for the "not feeling the love" bit, it's a job.  If you don't like your job and don't feel appreciated then you're probably gonna look elsewhere.  Irrespective of how much you get paid to do it, that can't be hard to grasp?

For a left midfielder/winger to be compared to a striker is crazy anyway. The fact he can keep at Messis goal tally level just proves what a player he is. I onlu made the 1 in 7 point because you said that messis worst was 40 or whatever. I'd like to see Messi score those diigits in the Prem anyway. Not saying la liga is that much inferior They've dominatd both euro competitions. Ronaldo was unbeleivable in England I couldn't see Messi as dominant outside of his confort zone.

Anyway, whatever I say you still gonna prefer him and whatever you say ill prefer cristiano so lets leave it lol.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Blanco on May 20, 2014, 01:01:48 PM
Anyway, whatever I say you still gonna prefer him and whatever you say ill prefer cristiano so lets leave it lol.

Absolutely agree with that bit, in fact I'm sure we've come to this point a few times in the past ;)

However, saying Ronaldo is a left winger and Messi a straight up striker is a bit disingenuous.  Neither are typical out and out strikers, but both are the main (intentionally) source of goals for their clubs.

For what it's worth, of all current players I prefer Iniesta to both Messi and Ronaldo.  Not that he's "better" (though he has been more important in the past ;)), but I prefer his style of play and what he brings to the team.

Macedo

You guys are drifting away from what the post was all about.
Not who the best player is..The sum he is being paid for kicking a  ball
I find obscene, no matter how good he is or how much he rakes in for the
Club..

Blanco

Quote from: God The Mechanic on May 20, 2014, 01:12:48 PM
Quote from: Blanco on May 20, 2014, 01:01:48 PM

Absolutely agree with that bit, in fact I'm sure we've come to this point a few times in the past ;)

However, saying Ronaldo is a left winger and Messi a straight up striker is a bit disingenuous.  Neither are typical out and out strikers, but both are the main (intentionally) source of goals for their clubs.

For what it's worth, of all current players I prefer Iniesta to both Messi and Ronaldo.  Not that he's "better" (though he has been more important in the past ;)), but I prefer his style of play and what he brings to the team.

Yeah I know what you mean. Cristiano is basically a forward and can play anywere and messi is more of a "false 9". Still, if you had to place them in a team you'd put them upront and on the left.

I really like Iniesta and he definitely deserved the ballon d'or ovet Messi when he was a finalist.Awesome player. One of Spains best.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Macedo on May 20, 2014, 01:29:29 PM
You guys are drifting away from what the post was all about.
Not who the best player is..The sum he is being paid for kicking a  ball
I find obscene, no matter how good he is or how much he rakes in for the
Club..

I disagree.  If he (And everyone else) were to be paid half what he's getting and as a result the difference was made up in what we as fans have to pay, then I'd be all for it.  But that's not and never will be the case.  I would much rather the players that generate the income, and are the actual reason for watching the sport get the recompense over monolithic organisations that frequently don't pay their non-footballing staff (at least in this country) a living wage.