watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Haynes and Roberts

Started by BishopsParkFantastic, May 20, 2014, 11:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BishopsParkFantastic

I am reading a thread on FoF about Messi receiving a new contract with a massive salary. Roberts is the equivalent of Messi to Fulham.

When we wanted to keep Haynes at the time he was being lured to Italy, we paid him the highest wage in the league - becoming the first club in the football league to break the £100 a week barrier.

To keep Roberts we may eventually need to pay him close to the highest wage in the premiership, presuming we get back there at the first time of asking (with one year remaining on his contract), and be convincing in our ambition to play again in Europe. By keeping Roberts until the time he may go to a club such as Real Madrid, we would be likely to recoup much more than the total cost of his salary through the eventual transfer fee.

One of the greatest joys in supporting Fulham from when I was 10 years old was to see Haynes play at every game at Craven Cottage - Roberts would inspire a new generation of Fulham supporters. He is the closest equivalent young player to Haynes that I have seen, for skill, vision and confidence.

FFC1987

Sorry, are you trying to compare Roberts to Messi? I mean, don't get me wrong, the lads got potential, but in no way can you realistically compare the two at this point in time!!!!

the nutflush

Quote from: FFC1987 on May 20, 2014, 11:49:12 AM
Sorry, are you trying to compare Roberts to Messi? I mean, don't get me wrong, the lads got potential, but in no way can you realistically compare the two at this point in time!!!!

I was going to say something similar but I read the orginal post again and I kind of get what hes trying to say.  Hes not trying to put Roberts on the same level as Messi.  Hes saying that hes the one player we have to keep at all costs like Messi is the heart and soul of Barca.   Hes going to be seriously good and I would hate to see him go to Arsenal or even Spain before hes ready.  He needs to play not sit on the bench and I think the kid knows that. 

Bedford White

Sadly for us, at best I feel it'll be a Rooney & Everton deal. With a much vaunted home grown talent who gets picked up by a bigger club for a moderately reasonable fee. Things have moved into even more surreal territory since Rooney's move to United, with top teams simply buying young talented players with the lure of big bucks wages simply to deny the competition the opportunity to sign them.

We can always hope but history suggests we're not holding the best hand at this poker table.

Craven Mad

Quote from: FFC1987 on May 20, 2014, 11:49:12 AM

Whilst I agree that some people's perceptions of Roberts is absurd (because what, as of now, has he actually achieved - he's just a very promising talent).

But I think the intention of the OP isn't to say Messi and Roberts are the same, I think it's saying that he has the potential to be a talisman of our club (after breaking into the first team), and there would be real value in keeping him here.

Where I disagree with the OP is that a) we will not be able to pay Roberts the highest salary in the league, nor would the board ever consider it, b) money would not keep him at our club; if he turns out to be half the player that you're comparing him to, he'll want to play on the greatest stage - with our size stadium that won't ever be an option.

Holders

I had been comparing Roberts to Haynes in my mind but I think they're different types of players - Bale might be a better comparison.

Hell, if we have to pay Roberts £100 a week to keep him a one-club man, let's do it and be damned!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

the nutflush

With our little stadium we will always be a selling club.  He will probably be gone within two seasons.  Hopefully he would have helped us get back into the top flight and we could cash in as much as possible.  

Macedo

I think some need to pull the reins in about Pat Roberts, A promising
young player indeed, but how many have we seen at clubs throughout the years
who suddenly dont progress as expected and hit a brick wall.
Lot of pressure being put on the lad, maybe he can cope with it, I
do hope he does, but he is 17 and done nothing yet,dont lets get carried
away too much.
And there will only ever be one Johnny Haynes..

Peabody

What you have to realise is that JH was 18 when he made his first team debut (Boxing Day 1952), he was of a similar size to PR but he soon bulked up and fully realised his potential. Once Patrick puts on a few more inches and adds some weight, then I feel we will see the complete footballer he promises to be.

SKSW6

Quote from: Macedo on May 20, 2014, 03:15:53 PM
away too much.

I agree some of the expectation and hype is a bit ridiculous, but he's a class above anything else we've had in a long time. He's been one of the best players at the U17 international tournament for England, and outclassed players when he's been in the U21s for us. He's no Keanu Marsh-Brown/Wayne Brown/any of our other youth players who've been over-hyped for us before, Roberts is special.

Khan You Dig It

If he fulfills his full potential, we obviously can't keep him forever, which is why we should give him a new contract now with a big release clause attached so that we can fleece one of the bigger clubs when they come in for him.

terryr

Quote from: Macedo on May 20, 2014, 03:15:53 PM
away too much.
:plus one: