watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

WTF, Donavan left off the US WC squad!

Started by YankeeJim, May 22, 2014, 11:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

The US doesn't have a lot of top talent so leaving Donavan off the squad was surprising. Then, I remembered how much of a contribution that Berbatov brought to the Whites. Talent isn't everything and I've always thought that what was missing from Donavan's game was heart. Maybe this will signal the 23 that anything less than top effort will not be tolerated. If the US flops. Klinsman will be roasted.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

love4ffc

Not surprised by this as Klinsman has pretty much called Donavan a has been. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

love4ffc

I just read that Klinsman's son sent out a tweet and then deleted it.  The tweet read "HAHAHAHAHAHAH DONAVAN HAHAHAHAA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL PHONE NOTIFIED ME HAHA". 

IF it's true then he is a real ****head! 

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/soccer/soccer-shocker-landon-left-u-s-cup-team-article-1.1802558#ixzz32UKX8Ydu
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

FortCollinsFulham

'Cause I'm already gone, if you bet on me you've won.

Up you Whites

Logicalman

.. and we are surprised, why? With respect, if he is the best we have got for the WCF, then might as well save the airfares for the team. Sorry, I think the Berbatov comparison is spot on.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

btings

Quote from: FortCollinsFulham on May 23, 2014, 12:39:32 AM
Clint the penalty taker  :doh:

This is the part that really stings.  Admittedly, his dead-ball skills have improved a tiny bit over the last few years, he's clearly been working at it.  BUT STILL, he's horrible at this.

I can't really believe this, but at the same time, it's somehow not surprising.  Donovan and Klinsmann clearly do not like/understand each other.  Donovan is old, and introspective, and Klinsmann wants a team full of people who are ready to run through a brick wall.  (In his defense, the greatest asset of US teams over the last 20 years is insane work ethic/drive, because we're definitely not getting there on skill.)

This team selection is crazy.  CRAZY.  Julian Green has made a lot of headlines, but as Nick Bateman would say, what is Brad Davis doing on this squad.  I dunno.  I dunno!  I like Klinsmann, I love the USMNT.  I forgive Dempsey!  I'm losing my mind.

Logicalman

Ultimately, its Klinsmann's record that will speak loudest, and as with any manager, there are always players that will not agree. It would be interesting whether the players that were quoted during the article were there prior to Klinsman's arrival, or call ups since, it's pretty ambiguous, isn't it?

Interesting the article also failed to mention Klinsmann's previous WCF record, and what he did for the German national side (youth players brought on to replace ageing players for example - pity Jol didn't notice that either) and then Bayern Munich, especially as the author has written two books on previous WCFs and is on his third.

Yet again, imho lazy journo looking for a headline to sell his book? Far too much rhetoric than substance. He does the same job on Greece reaching the finals, giving what appears to be a quote in the title, which was actually a quote from 10 years ago! Again, no substance as to WHY the Greeks actually reached the final, just the question: How did they reach the finals?

Sorry to disagree with anyone that does like this author, not my cup of tea and so doesn't change my outlook on this thread.

Fortunately we are able to agree to disagree without thinking less of each other, as all opinions count, and I respect those that believe that both Klinsmann was wrong and the article good. Peace.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Forever Fulham

Klinsmann had major talent in the German national team he managed.  I just don't trust former high scoring forwards as national team managers--for any nation.  But that's just my feeling about forwards as managers.  Jurgen has his story about why he didn't include Donovan--not as good as the forwards he picked.  And Donovan has his assertions out there--that he performed well enough in camp to not only make the team, but to start.  And we have to sit back and decide whose assessment is correct.  Let's see... Jozy Altidore or Landon Donovan?  Who will likely provide goals and assists?  Donovan.  Who has proven himself time and time again?  Donovan.  He's always been fast and quick, extremely skilled on the ball and off.  EPL Player of the Month a few years ago.  I think our chances of getting out of Manaus are now even more remote. 

FortCollinsFulham

Honestly, I think someone will get hurt in the upcoming warm up matches/training and Landon will still make the final 23.
'Cause I'm already gone, if you bet on me you've won.

Up you Whites

btings

YankeeJim

I would suspect that Klinsman just doesn't like who Donavan is. If Landon had Dempsey's heart, he'd played his career at a top club in a top league. He had the chance in Germany twice and failed both times. Neither because he lacked talent. To me, its Landon's mental toughness that Klinsman questions. Perhaps he should have looked at that 100 yard sprint against Algeria after 90 minutes or so. I've been hard on Donavan in the past because all too often he didn't show up or just went missing in a match.
Time will tell.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Forever Fulham

I agree.  I think it's personal with Klinsmann.  He doesn't understand the decisions Landon has made--to stay in the U.S.; to not insist on the right to go back to the EPL, perhaps for a full season or two; to take a break from the game, after carrying the U.S. on his back as the face of the men's game for I don't know how many years.  So he comes up with some cockamamie patently absurd claim about Landon not being as good in camp as the forwards he's picked.  He tries to make it sound objective, as if his decision was only based on comparative performance.  We all know better, don't we?  It's personal.  Payback time.  How many seasons has Jozy flopped, failing to live up to the advance press?  And the German-American?  Taking a kid to the World Cup and expecting anything from him in that pressure cooker environment?  Please.  Without Donovan on the pitch at some point during these early games, playing his inspired best, the team has very little chance of going through.  So there's all this talk about Klinsmann looking to the future, going with youth.  Well, if you stink up the joint in the early rounds, you won't be inspiring anyone, long term.  All that work to get there, and a manager's personal issues sink the ship.  He's not the right manager.  I can't think of one first rate proven manager who would leave Donovan at home to watch Altidore and Green flail about ineffectively on TV.

Logicalman

Quote from: Forever Fulham on May 25, 2014, 02:51:44 PM
Here's an interesting article worth reading.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/05/23/landon_donovan_j_rgen_klinsmann_why_the_u_s_coach_never_trusted_america.html

Reasonable article with some good arguments and observations.

Only let down by Bruce Almighty weighing in with such a nonsense comment (23 players better than Donovan?), and that comparison to scoring with Rooney, Messi, Ronaldo & v. Persie. Pity he didn't compare Donavan's scoring of five goals in three WCFs with some guy called Klinsmann, who got 11 in the WCFs of 90,94,98, or how about Klose with 14 in 3 WCFs (2002/6/10 - same as Donavon)?  Easy to be selective when needing to support an argument. Of course none of these comparisons provide any further indication of how good or bad Donovan really is, as only team results count and they were playing different teams.

As I said previously, the ONLY thing that Klinsmann will be judged on, are his WCF results, and in 7 weeks time, we will have a verdict, I hope.