watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Fireblight

Started by Berserker, May 26, 2014, 08:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berserker

Has anybody ever had Fireblight and what did they do about it. Also can it be confused with Scab?  :58:
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Burt

I am hoping this is something to do with your allotment rather than you...?  :dft011:

Berserker

- Martin Luther King Jr.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Berserker on May 26, 2014, 10:43:04 PM
Garden

'Scab' on numerous plants is a dry ailment that rarely affects anything other than the new foliage. Spots appear, get bigger and fall out leaving the foliage looking like a shot gun has been used on it. Lesions might appear on the foliage but the problem is pretty well established by this time. The plant is weakened after all this and thus susceptible to other ailments and poor cropping. Remove infected foliage and do not allow infected fallen leaves to established the problem. Sweep and burn or bin don't compost them. Once all tidied up give the tree, hedge, shrub a boost. Tidy and fork around the base, a pinch of fertiliser or a couple of feeds of tomorite and water through dry spells.
Fireblight only affects certain plants related to the rowans, apples and hawthorns and pyracanthas which all come under the heading Rosaceae. The stems are affected with peeling back and sticky ooze and the foliage looks weak and autumnal. In hawthorns it can be rampant and as the major host of the ailment a flippin nuisance once it shows. Remove and burn the infected areas but take care with the pruning implement, slice through infected wood and then clean wood would be a numpty thing to do. Best course of action would be to prune much lower than the area infected. If it is in a section of hawthorn I would remove it all at the base and get rid. Once upon a time you had to notify DEFRA, your council or the planning section but it is fairly common now.

blimey reads like one of my radio answers ....... too long, a tad patronising and lining up some work.

Berserker

I had the same thing last year on my Rowan, which has got Hawthorn under it. I cut off effected shoots and presumed it was caused by over zealous spraying of guy next of his shed.

This weekend I notice the same symptoms on my pear tree but ony the Comice part and not the Williams or Conference part, also the Rowan is not showing any signs this year.
What I have now done:
I cut out the branches that were affected yesterday and the council have taken the away today. I have cleaned my tools with White Spirit.

- Martin Luther King Jr.