News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Kosta Packet is off, Woodrow won't get you 10 goals a season, so..

Started by Admin, May 28, 2014, 11:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Quote from: RaySmith on May 29, 2014, 09:47:49 AM
You don't know that none of our current strikers will be prolific in the Championship, or even that Mitroglou will definitely leave.

:plus one:

You should stop posting common sense on here. It spoils some people's fun!

Lighthouse

Quote from: cmg on May 29, 2014, 10:29:16 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on May 29, 2014, 09:47:49 AM
You don't know that none of our current strikers will be prolific in the Championship, or even that Mitroglou will definitely leave.

:plus one:

You should stop posting common sense on here. It spoils some people's fun!

I don't know that's common sense. I don't know anything really. So it could be. But based on the scoring ratio of the players mentioned and the fact the Greek is a myth then I think it is pretty fair assumption that we need another striker.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

The list I posted showed the top 11 strikers in the championship.
lets look at the ages of our younger players:
Woodrow 19
David 21
Dembele 17
Trotta 21

Now as much as I want them to play and help us get promoted the age of the top 11 championship striker on average last was was: 25.36

McCormack 27
Rhodes 24
Deeney 25
Grabban 26
Martin 25
Ings 21
Nugent 29
Vokes 24
Austin 24
Bryson 27
Vardy 27

I think this shows a very good argument that we can not be relying on those youngsters to push us to promotion on their own.

Aaron

I have decided in the past week or so that Jordan Rhodes is the ONLY answer and I intend to ride this particular train into oblivion like the Adu folks used to.

Rhodes in.

Craven Mad

Quote from: Aaron on May 29, 2014, 12:02:44 PM
I have decided in the past week or so that Jordan Rhodes is the ONLY answer and I intend to ride this particular train into oblivion like the Adu folks used to.

Rhodes in.

100%.

Rhodes is the only player - that we could reasonably get - that I would bet on bagging 20+ goals for us. He offers something different from what we have, knows the league, and is still young.

Rhodes, Lansbury, Creswell and Lascelles. All players that'd carry us our of the Championship and would serve us well in the Prem. Investing in young quality is expensive, but pays dividends - look at Southampton.

Bryanthebroom

Wouldn't mind McCormack either - and we've been linked with him too.

filham

A lot of questions to be answered in the next couple of months:-

1. Is Costa Packet leaving.

2. Is Costa Packet going to be fit enough for a Championship season.

3. Are we going to play two up top or just a lone striker.

4. Is Dembele ready for the Championship.

5. Is Woodrow ready for the Championship (surely the answer is yes)

6. Will we agree to let Brentford have Trotta.

7. How many strikers can we afford to keep (pay) on a Championship budget.

blingo

Quote from: HatterDon on May 29, 2014, 06:45:09 AM
When is the last time Fulham had a 20 goal STRIKER? You can't count Dempsey, since he was a midfielder/goal poacher. We didn't come close to a 20 goal striker in our three highest finishing seasons; why is one so important now?

Andy Cole.

blingo

Quote from: MJG on May 29, 2014, 10:40:24 AM
Woodrow 19
David 21
Dembele 17
Trotta 21

Now as much as I want them to play and help us get promoted the age of the top 11 championship striker on average last was was: 25.36

McCormack 27
Rhodes 24
Deeney 25
Grabban 26
Martin 25
Ings 21
Nugent 29
Vokes 24
Austin 24
Bryson 27
Vardy 27

I think this shows a very good argument that we can not be relying on those youngsters to push us to promotion on their own.

If they're good enuf, they're old enuf.

Bryanthebroom

MJG

Quote from: blingo on May 29, 2014, 01:49:33 PM
Quote from: MJG on May 29, 2014, 10:40:24 AM
Woodrow 19
David 21
Dembele 17
Trotta 21

McCormack 27
Rhodes 24
Deeney 25
Grabban 26
Martin 25
Ings 21
Nugent 29
Vokes 24
Austin 24
Bryson 27
Vardy 27

If they're good enuf, they're old enuf.
i dont dispute that anywhere, and I for one have always pushed for the younger players to get a chance. But looking at that list its stands out that apart from Ings and Nugent they are all mid 20's.
I just feel whats required to get out of the championship is at least 2 strikers supplemented by these lads.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Craven Mad on May 29, 2014, 12:18:10 PM

Rhodes in.

100%.

Rhodes is the only player - that we could reasonably get - that I would bet on bagging 20+ goals for us. He offers something different from what we have, knows the league, and is still young.

Rhodes, Lansbury, Creswell and Lascelles. All players that'd carry us our of the Championship and would serve us well in the Prem. Investing in young quality is expensive, but pays dividends - look at Southampton.
so we spend upwards of £12m in what will likely be a full cash upfront deal to bring Rhodes in. Why not instead keeping Mitro,who I think will score plenty next year, who we bought on very advantageous terms signing him on a 4 year contract. If he wants to leave then he needs to do it on the pitch to attract top clubs so win win.

Admin

Woodrow feeding Rhodes, with Dembele' being used as an option wouldn't be a bad front line.

MJG

Quote from: MasterHaynes on May 29, 2014, 02:31:01 PM

Rhodes in.

100%.

so we spend upwards of £12m in what will likely be a full cash upfront deal to bring Rhodes in. Why not instead keeping Mitro,who I think will score plenty next year, who we bought on very advantageous terms signing him on a 4 year contract. If he wants to leave then he needs to do it on the pitch to attract top clubs so win win.
I'd argue we need both

Craven Mad

Quote from: MasterHaynes on May 29, 2014, 02:31:01 PM

Rhodes in.

100%.

I never actually said I wanted rid of Kostas, only that I wanted Rhodes.

But, playing along.. Because - if, as you suggest, it were close enough to a straight swap - we'd swap a 26 year old with a history of injury and only proven in Greece, for a 24 year old who's proven in the Championship. We'd also be getting more pace whilst also weakening a league competitor.

Don't get me wrong though, in an ideal world we'd have both (and realistically, come August we'll have neither!).

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

The key to this is ensuring they get service, although from what I've seen (only on TV and streams)
they all seem capable of also creating their own opportunites + setting up others.
And there's Roberts who can do both as well.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Macedo

Jordan Rhodes would cost over 10 million and we want be paying that sort
of money in Championship.
I think he signed a new contract not long ago and said he is very happy at Blackburn
and would like to go up with them.
He want be coming here.

MJG

Its highly unlikely we are ever going to sign Jordan Rhodes (Although if it was down to me I'd have been trying to sign him as soon as the season ended) but I'm quite surprised at people's hesitation on wanting him. Even if a large fee was required.

he has scored 51 goals in 89 league games for Blackburn in the championship. They paid £8M for him in the championship and ok he has a contract for another 3 years, but that does not mean he's off limits to us.
Blackburn have just put a load of players (Etuhu is one of them, halfway through a 4 year contract) on the transfer list to try and save wages. They are still owned by the chicken farmers and the parachute money is running out, they have gates of 15K and as I saw yesterday some very low season ticket costs.

I'd say a cash bid of between 8-12 would secure a proven goalscorer at this level and at only 24 years of age he has loads of sell on value. Even if we only used him for a season (and got promotion) and then sold back to a newly relegated club we would have made money in one way.

Everyone has their views on players and the wish to see the youngsters, but I would see this as a zero gamble on the clubs part. of course knowing us we would sign him and then fail to hit a barn door from 5 yards.