more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (29/05/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 29, 2014, 08:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Unlucky Woodrow

Selected for the England U20 squad, Cauley Woodrow got a taste of the action on Monday night.

With the England U20 side taking on Brazil, in the second game of the Toulon tournament in St Raphael, France, Woodrow was introduced as a substitute in the fifty-first minute, coming on for the Brighton and Hove Albion player Jake Forster-Caskey.

However, it was to be a game that England were to lose. Brazil went ahead after eight minutes when a surging run by Thalles created a scoring opportunity for Alisson to net. The South American side then went further ahead when Lucas Silva beat Jack Butland to make it 2-0.

But there was hope for England when James Ward-Prowse (of Southampton) reduced the arrears with a lovely free-kick. Sadly it wasn`t to be enough and now England have won one and lost one in the tournament.

However, we suspect Cauley is thoroughly enjoying the experience.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=360015#ixzz335WoKL7E

WhiteJC

Wales Under-19s ace eager to fulfil dream with Fulham

THE Championship may be the Premier League's poor relation but for one Wrexham-born teenager playing in England's second-tier next season would mean fulfilling a dream.

Jordan Evans knows a successful Uefa Elite Round qualifying campaign with Wales Under-19s and an impressive pre-season could see him force his way into the Fulham first team.

Evans, at home on either wing or at left-back, has seen his pathway to the first team cleared by the departures of Damien Duff, John Arne Riise and Matthew Briggs.

But the 18-year-old former Borras Park Rangers ace knows only hard work over the next two months will give him a shot at first team football.

"There are always opportunities coming around, you've just got to take them," explained Evans prior to leaving for Portugal with Wales U-19s.

"Playing as high as I possibly can is what I want to do and I don't want to be someone who will settle for what they've got.

"I always want to be better and that means playing as high as I can. I also want to represent my country."

And with the likes of Patrick Roberts, Moussa Dembele, Cauley Woodrow, Chris David and Buomesca Tué Na Bangna all making appearances for Fulham as they were relegated from the Premier League, the dream is alive for Evans.

"It is good to see because it shows that there is a pathway to the first team," continued the former Penley student.

"Making the first team is always the dream.

"I've trained with them quite a few times this season and I trained with the reserve team a lot.

"Any young player needs experience so if you can train with the first team it is bound to help as you are playing with people who are there.

"You want to get to where they are, so training with them can only improve you.

"I've always thought I've done well when I've trained with the first team. I've just got to keep working hard and see where it takes me.

"You never know what will happen, but I've got to take an opportunity if it comes."

If Evans can replicate his club form on the international stage against Belgium, who Wales face today, Portugal (Friday) and Greece (Monday), then he will surely be in Felix Magath's plans.

Fulham came agonisingly close to winning the FA Youth Cup against Chelsea, but three goals in the final 15 minutes saw their rivals win the two legged tie 7-6 on aggregate.

Victory would have completed a memorable hat-trick for Evans and his team mates following the Under-18 Premier League title and Dallas Cup success in recent seasons.

"We were so, so unlucky not to win it," said Evans, who gave away a first-half penalty in the second-leg. "It was horrible losing it, but that is the way it goes.

"It was a crazy game and amazing to watch for the neutral, but being two goals up on aggregate with 15 minutes to go meant it was horrible to lose."

It comes as no surprise given Fulham's recent success at youth level that players have graduated to the first team, certainly not to Evans who has trained alongside the likes of Woodrow and Dembele on a daily basis.

"The team is very, very good. The best players I've played with," he highlighted. "All of them are good players and so good to play with because they all have something, they all have an A-game.

"It is so good to train with them every day and play with them because you are always learning.

"Some of the things the boys can do are top class.

"When I first went down I was 15 and I trained with the U18s, so I was training two years above.

"They were top players and I was thinking 'this is going to be me in a couple of years hopefully'.

"Ever since I've started at Fulham there have been class players around me and when you play with good players you improve."

As well as developing physically from the youngster scouted by Fulham playing for Wrexham against Tranmere Rovers, Evans has continued to improve technically.

Known for his attacking flair while at Wrexham under Steve Cooper and Andy Davies, which was helped by his ability to run at opposition full-backs, Evans has been learning the defensive side of the game since heading to the capital.

"When I was younger I played left wing or right wing," he said. "When I went to Fulham and started with the U17s I started playing left-back and I did enjoy it to be fair.

"Over the course of the two years I've been here it has varied between left-back and left wing.

"I had a stint at number 10, just in behind the striker, but left wing is my position.

"In the game now full-backs are old fashioned wingers though, so as long as I'm playing one of those positions I don't really mind.

"Before I went down I was just a left winger, but now I can play at left-back and the defensive side of my game has improved a lot. I have improved so much overall."

Evans, a close friend of Wrexham's Ross White, will look to continue those improvements on the international stage over the next five days with Wales U-19s.

Former Flint Town United duo Ryan Hedges and Curtis Strong, Wrexham's Rob Evans and ex-Red Bradley Reid all join Evans in Geraint Williams' squad.

Only the group winners, plus hosts Spain, progress to the European Under-19 Championship later this year and Evans is confident of Wales putting in three strong performances.

"We will try and win every game," he declared. "The aim is to get game time, win every game and progress to the next stage.

"We don't feel any less deserving than any other team."

Should Wales pip Portugal, Belgium and Greece to top spot in Group Seven then Evans will be able to celebrate in Ayia Napa before he returns to Fulham to train with Kit Symons' reserve team.

England U-19s, meanwhile, know a draw against Ukraine tomorrow will see them qualify for the European Championship finals as winners of Group One.

A 6-0 victory over Montenegro and a 2-1 success against Scotland have left England on the verge of the last eight.

http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/134134/wales-under-19s-ace-eager-to-fulfil-dream-with-fulham.aspx?

WhiteJC

Michael Brown is wanted by Hartlepool United

Former Leeds United midfielder Michael Brown could be set for a return to hometown club Hartlepool United, according to the Hartlepool Mail.

The 37-year-old has a wealth of experience having played in the Premier League for Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur, Fulham and Wigan Athletic.

Brown was playing Championship football for Leeds United last season but was released at the end of the season.

The veteran is still keen on playing and if he does sign for Hartlepool, it will be his second spell with the club.

The combative central midfielder began his career at Manchester City but joined his home-town club on loan in March 1997.

A loan spell at Portsmouth followed before he left City to sign for Sheffield United in January 2000 for £400,000.

He made almost 200 appearances for the Blades as the club reached the Championship (then First Division) play-off final and an FA Cup semi-final during his time with the South Yorkshire club.

A spell at Spurs followed, then on to Fulham then Wigan before returning to Portsmouth on a permanent deal.

Brown played for two seasons at the south coast side before leaving to sign for Leeds United in the summer of 2011.

After being released from Leeds a few weeks ago, Brown told the Yorkshire Evening Post:

"At 37 you take it in your stride whichever way it's going to be.

"For the last few years I've been here [Leeds United] to help, to play some games – whether that's 20 minutes here or there – and to help around the dressing room.

"That's what I think I've done and I hope I still show a good example. Long may it continue.

"But I want to carry on playing. I don't want to just step down and do some coaching.

"I want to play another year, maybe with a bit of coaching on top."

Hartlepool boss Colin Cooper is keen to add experience to his young squad after letting Andy Monkhouse and Simon Walton leave at the end of the campaign.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/michael-brown-is-wanted-by-hartlepool-united/?

WhiteJC

Brede's Bleus Defeat

Brede Hangeland played 90 minutes as Norway slipped to a 4-0 defeat by France in Paris on Tuesday evening.

Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba got the Frenchmen off the mark after quarter of an hour when he headed in from Mathieu Valbuena's cross, but Norway then managed to keep Didier Deschamps' men out until half-time.

Three goals in 19 minutes condemned them to a heavy defeat, though, with Arsenal's Olivier Giroud scoring twice, either side of a Loic Remy finish to give Les Bleus a morale boosting win from their first World Cup warm-up fixture.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/28/bredes-bleus-defeat?

WhiteJC

Four areas Fulham must improve over the summer ahead of Championship challenge

With John Heitinga gone, Fulham are in desperate need of a new centre-back. (Picture: Getty Images)

With eight senior players already departed, and a hellish season to put behind us, it's time to start the rebuilding job at Fulham.

Shahid Khan has promised the resources and Felix Magath has suggested he will shake things up, but just where do Fulham need to improve ahead of next season's Championship campaign?

Left-back

Fulham have never really replaced Paul Konchesky. A bold claim, I'm sure you're thinking, but it's true on many levels. Carlos Salcido, his immediate successor, was an undeniable flop, while John Arne Riise took the arrogant footballer cliché to new, unfounded levels.

Matthew Briggs has stepped in now and again but he, too, was lacking something. Regardless, all have now left the club and we are left with a rather pleasing blank page.

What we have consistently lacked is a player who is not only defensively adept but forward thinking, too. That is the modern role of a full-back. For some reason, Fulham have never adapted to that ideology. Now is the chance.

Someone pacey and creative, yet reliable and intelligent is what's needed.

Centre-back

With John Heitinga gone, and a campaign of hilarious defensive ineptitude to look back upon, this is perhaps our most concerning area.

Under Roy Hodgson we created a niche out of being ridiculously well-organised. We had a centre-back pairing of Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes that were so well versed in each other's game, we became almost impenetrable.

Fulham's Brede Hangeland will be a key player next season (Picture: AP/PA)

Now, though, our defence has been shifted and changed beyond recognition. Magath needs to choose on a settled pairing.

There is an argument that Hangeland and Dan Burn could work together – they did, after all, do a sterling job under Rene Meulensteen. But they are almost identical in stature and style of play. Burn has a role in this club, that's for sure, but someone more agile and fast would complement our captain far better.

Central-midfield

In terms of individual talent, this is where Fulham have been found lacking for some time. We've had our fair share of dogged midfielders who are tough in the tackle and relentless to the very end. But, unfortunately, football isn't just about that.

We need a creative linchpin, someone who can string our play together and produce something out of nothing. Now, there is every chance that Chris David could step up and fill the void but it's worth noting that it isn't his natural position.

So delving into the market is a definite necessity.

Striker

You have to assume Kostas Mitroglou will leave, given his hefty wages and, no doubt, heftier aspirations. He was signed, ultimately, to keep us up and, upon failure, he will surely jump ship.

It leaves us with Hugo Rodallega, Moussa Dembele and Cauley Woodrow as out-and-out strikers, a solid, if inexperienced grouping. Adding another striker into that threesome should do no harm, but you also have to be wary of stunting the growth of both Dembele and Woodrow.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/28/four-areas-fulham-must-improve-over-the-summer-ahead-of-championship-challenge-4741759/?

WhiteJC

Turks to pay £11m for Fulham flop

The Turkish giants are believed to be ready to pay up to £11million for the Greek frontman who was a complete flop at Craven Cottage following his club record £12million capture from Olympiakos.

Mitroglou endured a nightmare five months in London as injuries restricted him to just three appearances as the Whites dropped out of the Premier League. Inter Milan have also been credited with an interest in the 26-year-old striker but he is refusing to discuss his plans as he now has his mind focused on the upcoming World Cup in Brazil. Galatasaray are on the lookout for a powerful striker to replace Drogba who is leaving Istanbul after two seasons with the club.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/turks-to-pay-11m-for-fulham-flop-1726982.html?

WhiteJC

Paperback version of Roy book

Alright, I have a possible paperback solution. Will try to publish a short run soon.

Note different cover. I don't have paperback rights to the main one and can't afford them. This is a photo I took so should be okay. The final version will have words on it!

Watch this space...

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/05/28/paperback-version-of-roy-book/?

WhiteJC

England U20 pegged back by Korea in Toulon Tournament

Cauley Woodrow celebrates his opening strike

England's Toulon Tournament fate will be decided on Friday, after the Three Lions shared a 1-1 draw with Korea Republic in Aubagne.

An early goal for striker Cauley Woodrow on his first start for Gareth Southgate's side had put England in control, but a second-half equaliser from Chang Min Lee rescued a point for the Koreans.

They will now watch England's final match against Colombia with interest, having played all four of their matches and finishing with five points.

Either a draw or win from that game will be good enough to take England into Sunday's third-fourth play-off match in Avignon, due to the Three Lions' superior goal difference.

But a defeat against the South American side, who have yet to win in this year's competition, would mean an early exit.

England made the perfect start when captain James Ward-Prowse picked out Jake Forster-Caskey, whose first-time pass was straight into the path of Woodrow. The Fulham man calmly picked his spot to knock the ball past keeper Kim Dong Jun in the third minute.

And Woodrow could have had a second three minutes later, when Nathaniel Chalobah intercepted the ball in midfield before picking him out, but this time Dong Jun was equal to his shot.

It took Korea 23 minutes to find their first real sight of goal, when midfielder Ryu Seung Woo took aim from 25 yards and had Jonathan Bond back-pedalling, but his dipping effort flew just over the bar.

And Bond had to make his only save of the first half shortly after that, as Woo hit the target this time with a low drive only to find the Watford keeper was well placed to collect.

Southgate made one change at the break, with Solly March replacing Brad Smith on the left as the Three Lions went in search of a second goal.

But it was the Koreans who started brightly as sub Cho Suk Jae saw a shot deflected wide two minutes after the re-start before Ahn Hyunbeom tried his luck from distance and found a similar outcome.

Cauley Woodrow flashes a header on goal

England really should have doubled their lead in the 52nd minute, as a burst forward from Eric Dier won the Three Lions a corner. Luke Garbutt's flag-kick picked out Michael Keane in the middle, but he guided his header just wide of the post.

March then forced Dong Jun into a good save, after cutting in from the right and firing a sharp left-footer at goal.

That proved to be a crucial save as less than a minute later, Korea drew level when Chang Min Lee broke forward from midfield and struck a low shot at goal which Bond could only watch creep into the bottom corner.

Southgate's side looked for an instant response and Redmond led the charge, beating Kim Yong Hwan before seeing his right-footer drift inches wide of the post.

The Norwich City man had another attempt and hit the target, but Dong Jun made another save to keep things level much to Redmond's frustration.

Redmond's cross from the left was then headed home by Woodrow with just three minutes left, but an offside flag was raised to deny England what would have been a crucial goal.

Jun saved his best for last though, as he pulled off a miraculous save to deny Woodrow again after Garbutt's cross picked him out at the far post.

Woodrow's header looked to have crossed the line, but the keeper somehow clawed it out and saved his side before Redmond's follow-up was blocked.

That means all eyes now turn to Friday's final group game with Colombia, where either a draw or win will be good enough to take England through.

England (4-1-4-1): 13 Jonathan Bond (Watford); 15 Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon), 6 Michael Keane (Manchester United), 16 Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), 3 Luke Garbutt (Everton); James Ward-Prowse (c) (Southampton); 11 Nathan Redmond (Norwich City), 14 Jake Forster-Caskey (Brighton & Hove Albion), 4 Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), 12 Brad Smith (Liverpool); 19 Cauley Woodrow (Fulham).

Substitutes: 18 Solly March (Brighton & Hove Albion) for Smith 40, 20 Will Keane (Manchester United) for Forster-Caskey 64, 2 Tyias Browning (Everton) for Dier 67,

Substitutes not used: 1 Jack Butland (Stoke City), 5 Liam Moore (Leicester City), 7 Jordan Obita (Reading), 9 Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), 10 Josh McEachran (Chelsea), 17 Jordan Cousins (Charlton Athletic).

Head coach: Gareth Southgate

Goals: Cauley Woodrow 3

Korea Republic (4-2-3-1): 1 Kim Dong Jun (Yon Sei Uni), 2 Sim Sang Min (FC Seoul), 5 Woo Ju Sung (Suwon Samsung), 4 Yeon Jei Min (c) (Suwon Samsung), 3 Kim Yong Hwan (In Cheon United); 6 Kim Sun Woo (Ul San Uni), 14 Shin Il Soo (Korea Uni); 7 Ryu Seung Woo (Bayer Leverkusen), 8 Lee Chang Min (Gyeong Nam), 11 Ahn Hyunbeom (Dong Guk Uni); 10 Moon Chang Jin (Pohang Steelers).

Substitutes: 19 Cho Suk Jae (Kon Kuk Uni) for Sunwoo 33, 20 Jang Hyunsoo (Yong In Uni) for Chang Jin 53, 17 Kang Sangwoo (Pohang Steelers) for Woo 64, 16 Oh Changhyeon (Dan Kook Uni) for Lee 69

Substitutes not used: 9 Kim Hyun (Jeju United), 12 Kang Yun Koo (Vissel Kobe), 13 Gam Han Sol (Kyung Hee Uni), 18 Lee Gwanghun (Pohang Steelers), 21 Lee Junhee (In Cheon Uni).

Head coach: Lee Kwang Jong.

Goal: Lee Changmin 54

Cautions: Sim Sang Min 15

Referee: M. Gamboa Latournerie (Chile).

Assistant referee: M. Maturana & M. Barraza Pardo (Chile)

Fourth official: M Penaloza Soto (Chile)

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/england/under-21/2014/may/korea-republic-match-report-280514?#utUlppIqgVW1TG6L.99

WhiteJC

Glen Johnson and Bryan Ruiz clash before World Cup with DNA battle
England and Costa Rica will meet in Group D finale at Brazil 2014
Three Lions full-back has 'perfect genetic make-up for defender'
Genetic experiment first of its kind for footballers

British company DNAFit Life Sciences have devised a series of tests to measure athletes' physical capabilities and devise bespoke training regimes.

Johnson was found to have a good balance between power and endurance, as well as genes associated with fast-twitch muscle fibres that aid bursts of speed and jumping.

His aerobic potential was measured as very high but he was found to need a diet low in refined carbs like white bread and potatoes.

Ruiz was found to have quick recovery time from exercise, so perhaps he will be the fresher of the pair after two games come June 24.

Johnson said: 'To have this data to show me the best ways to train and to eat so I can be at the top of my game is a remarkable advance.'

Dr Keith Grimaldi, who developed the test, said the results showed Johnson 'has the perfect genetic make-up for a defender'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2642162/Glen-Johnson-Bryan-Ruiz-clash-World-Cup-DNA-battle.html#ixzz335bnTiKi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Loan stars top Warburton's agenda at Bees

Brentford boss Mark Warburton has put the futures of loan stars George Saville, Alan Judge and Marcello Trotta at the top of his summer agenda.

]The Bees confirmed the departures of Scott Barron, Farid El Alagui, Shaleum Logan and Liam O'Brien this week, while the loan trio have all returned to their parent clubs – for the time being.

"The fact that such talented players are leaving the club shows the level we are aspiring to.

"There are three guys on loan – Alan, George and Marcello – that have been great for us," said the manager.

"We are talking to their parent clubs to see if business can be done. If we can't get anything done, we thank them for their contribution."

Warburton expects to tie out of contract striker Clayton Donaldson to a new deal.

He added: "Conversations have been positive. I hope we can wrap things up quickly."

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/brentfordfcnews/11241689._/?

Nero

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 29, 2014, 09:00:10 AM

Dr Keith Grimaldi, who developed the test, said the results showed Johnson 'has the perfect genetic make-up for a defender'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2642162/Glen-Johnson-Bryan-Ruiz-clash-World-Cup-DNA-battle.html#ixzz335bnTiKi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Unfortunately not the brain power

terryr

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 29, 2014, 08:52:45 AM

Turks to pay £11m for Fulham flop

The Turkish giants are believed to be ready to pay up to £11million for the Greek frontman who was a complete flop at Craven Cottage following his club record £12million capture from Olympiakos.

Mitroglou endured a nightmare five months in London as injuries restricted him to just three appearances as the Whites dropped out of the Premier League. Inter Milan have also been credited with an interest in the 26-year-old striker but he is refusing to discuss his plans as he now has his mind focused on the upcoming World Cup in Brazil. Galatasaray are on the lookout for a powerful striker to replace Drogba who is leaving Istanbul after two seasons with the club.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/turks-to-pay-11m-for-fulham-flop-1726982.html?
This is just silly
He will never play for a Turkish club.