watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Telegraph Article Decrying Malcom Glazer's Ownership of United

Started by ToodlesMcToot, May 29, 2014, 03:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

I've never supported or cared much about United. I've never worried myself too much about the Glazer family's takeover or running of United. He and his family have made it pretty easy to reach the usual conclusions about what they bought the club for (money and financial leverage).

Being a Fulham fan I can understand the fears an ownership like his would generate amongst supporters. And I can understand the anger created as a result of his family's apparent lack of care for what the club means to so many people who've dedicated such a large portion of their lives supporting it.

Having said that, I find it difficult to sympathize with either Man United (any club that makes a public offering) or the Premier League. From my only partially educated point of view, Man United made itself a publicly held company for the very same reason that the Glazers ultimately took it over for - money. Man United took on the risks that entailed willingly and the Primier League allowed the public offering most likely for the very same reason.

I really can't decide what Mr. White's intended ultimate point is. It appears to me that he's taking a bit of a parting shot at an owner he never approved of and making him out to be The Big Bad Wolf but, possibly, he's telling a cautionary tale of what damage can be done when clubs and the league don't consider the consequences of opening themselves up through public offerings.

I'm curious to hear others' points of view on the topic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10861747/Malcolm-Glazer-should-never-have-been-allowed-to-take-over-Manchester-United.html

I wish that there was some significant Fulham news. I'd much rather talk about our club.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

mccscratch

Glazer ultimately paid about 800 million when all was said and done to buy the club... it is now worth over 2.5 billion... seems a pretty savvy businessman...

they have never had a real lack of funds in the transfer market compared to 99% of the clubs on earth... their fans are a bunch if whiners if you ask me...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: mccscratch on May 29, 2014, 04:06:12 PM
Glazer ultimately paid about 800 million when all was said and done to buy the club... it is now worth over 2.5 billion... seems a pretty savvy businessman...

they have never had a real lack of funds in the transfer market compared to 99% of the clubs on earth... their fans are a bunch if whiners if you ask me...

I've never bought into the "woe is me" attitude of the fans or this portrayal of the club as some sort of victim. This kind of business dealing isn't more than common with publicly held companies.

I just wanted to see if there were differing perspectives that I might not have considered.

Maybe it's not as interesting a topic as I believed. I was just trying to get a conversation going on something other than guessing games related to Fulham's transfer dealings or whether our manager is good enough to get us promoted. Those are plenty well covered.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

God The Mechanic

He took one of the most marketable clubs and made them even more marketable.

Most importantly, some of the comments about him since his death have been utterly deplorable.  Makes you understand how people hate on football fans so easily.