News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

anyone remember when we went down from the 1st Division......

Started by gerrys, June 08, 2014, 09:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrys

.......and QPR came up from the 3rd?
I seem to remember that they had a fair number of ex-Fulham players in their team......and we went straight down to the 3rd Division.

jeremyfulham

Their star was Rodney Marsh, they also had Jim Langley and Robert Keetch

Andy S

Yes this is correct. QPR also had Roger and Ian Morgan as well as Peter springet in goal. In reality our team was not that bad and had we not lost our captain George Cohen to injury we may well have stayed up imo. Vic Buckingham not a good manager though

Fernhurst

Remember the last time?.......

Thought I was one of the few who had lived
and sobbed through that experience!

Comes to pass there are those that experienced the relegation of 1951!!

Those fresh faced fellows have much to be admired sticking with Fulham this long.

065.gif
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

epsomraver

Quote from: Andy S on June 08, 2014, 10:16:13 PM
Yes this is correct. QPR also had Roger and Ian Morgan as well as Peter springet in goal. In reality our team was not that bad and had we not lost our captain George Cohen to injury we may well have stayed up imo. Vic Buckingham not a good manager though
Being fair to Vic he had his team sold out from under him, Keetch Robson Langley Mullery I believe  and  Marsh to name a few

YankeeJim

Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

St Eve

Snibbo

Yes I think I went to every home match in those 3 years, from 1st to 2nd to 3rd division. Some miserable memories of cold, bleak, freezing afternoons and evenings watching from the Thames Bank and the Putney end as we lost match after match.

Twig

It was a horrible experience last time but in many ways I have found it worse second time around.  Last time we didn't have a recent track record of success in Europe, ground improvement plans, an apparently committed owner and all the hope that the Hodgson era had given us.  The fall has felt steeper to me this time.

What I detested was the long period out of the top flight and the wretched quality we had to endure in the lowest division.  To all those who argue that relegation could be a blessing, a brief rebuilding opportunity etc. the last time should be a stark warning against such complacency.

RaySmith

Fans always think that we will come straight back up, but us older fans remember the past relegations when we thought exactly the same thing.

Does it seem worse going down now?

Not sure -I've always felt completely gutted, but now the Prem is so prominent in the media, glamorous and rich, and so apart from the rest of football in this country, that to go out of it suddenly feels  like becoming invisible, as well as  very substantially poorer.

Anyway, here's hoping the club will make an immediate effort to get back - there seems too  much to lose by not doing so.

Fernhurst

Taking a totally dispassionate view..... I fear we have very little chance of bouncing back next season.
The huge turnaround in personnel both on and off the pitch will be demonstrated by a promotion missing gap in organisation.

Given the right incoming players and a period of settling down, I don't expect us to be in trouble, however, you really need a head of steam (as we had on our previous visit to The Championship )
to capture those elusive top two first class berths back to the promised land.

The longer we are out, the harder it becomes. We need a very good year of consolidation this coming season to make a determined assault in 2015/16.

Gladly eat my hat if proved wrong.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

OldBrownShoe

Yes I remember it only too well. As now, promises were made to bring in some new players to get us back. Instead somebody left the trap door open and we went straight through it after finishing bottom for the second successive year.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

robert

Didn't our then chairman,Mr Tommy Trinder, say upon relegation from the top table that we would only be a season in the 2nd division.He was right though as we next year went down to the 3rd?

Baszab

Was Alistair Mackintosh at Man City when they suffered successive relegations and  dropped through to the First Division ?
Just asking

Burt

Quote from: Baszab on June 09, 2014, 07:45:11 AM
Was Alistair Mackintosh at Man City when they suffered successive relegations and  dropped through to the First Division ?
Just asking

I am pretty sure it's the opposite, but I may be wrong. I think he presided over the time when they came back up, he oversaw the move to Eastlands and established them as one of the world's top 20 revenue earners.

Peabody

Quote from: epsomraver on June 08, 2014, 10:49:31 PM
Quote from: Andy S on June 08, 2014, 10:16:13 PM
Being fair to Vic he had his team sold out from under him, Keetch Robson Langley Mullery I believe  and  Marsh to name a few

Sorry ER but VB was the reason they left. He wanted a big clear out to build his own side! He even got rid of Joe Bacuzzi and Arthur Stevens from the back room staff.

I seem to remember that he sold Rodney to fund the purchase of Allan Clark. We got £15k for Rodney and we payed £35k for Sniffer.

Baszab

Burt -  I hope you're right !!
I think he was there but in a more junior capacity !!

epsomraver

Quote from: robert on June 09, 2014, 07:44:36 AM
Didn't our then chairman,Mr Tommy Trinder, say upon relegation from the top table that we would only be a season in the 2nd division.He was right though as we next year went down to the 3rd?

The quote was regarding the flags on the riverside of the first div teams, he said we would keep them as we would only be in the 2nd division for one season, he was right we dropped into the third, on the relegations though the difference with then and now was that we had poor players in those days but they mostly all gave their all when playing, the same cannot be said about the present day team

MasterHaynes

remember it very well, Robson made all his managerial mistakes at his first managers job with us. Who can forget a Forward line of Byrne, Dear and Large, now that was a truly awful front line no wonder it took a Ful back to score a first goal for us after 8 games without a goal - mind you the full back in question was Malcolm Mcdonald but Robson still preferred Large sellingMcdonald to Luton who played him as a centre forward and the rest is history.