watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The New York Times on "soccer" v. "football"

Started by Forever Fulham, June 19, 2014, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

I wasn't trying to start a rift.  It's an interesting bit of history reporting.  People have their preferred expressions and it doesn't matter what or why or how in the end.   One thing in the article particularly struck me, Fulhamben--that Australians call it "soccer".   I didn't know that.  Speak up, Australians.  Is the Times right?

b+w geezer

Article is perfectly correct that `soccer' was often used here until maybe 40 years ago. For example one of the best weekly magazines in the '50s and '60s was called `Soccer Star.'

MasterHaynes

I remember when I started work in a prestigous London branch of Bank in the early 70's. Sitting in front of my new Bank Manager (incidentally was president of the Banks rugby club). he welcomed me to the Bank before going on to say he saw I played football, extolling the virtues of playing for the Banks team. I was asked what position I played, I replied across the front line as a forward he looked surprised(wasn't the biggest person) and we had a weird conversation for 15 minutes on positional play in football that came to an abrupt end when he said 'Oh you play soccer not football' hence the confusion over my claim to be a forward, at which point I returned to my work.

Peabody

Though I prefer to describe our game as football, which it truly is, compared to the American game, which more use of the hand, it is true that we did use the term Soccer ie back in the fifties, we used to have The Boy's Book of Soccer.

Surely, American Football, which is more akin to Rugby, would better be described as just that. But does it all really matter?

Lighthouse

As the article points out the term 'soccer' is an English word. We had no trouble with it and used it quite happily. But as the Americans use the terms 'football' and 'World Series' for most sports using hands and featuring just Americans. I have no snobby objection to the term 'soccer'.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cmg

It doesn't really matter what Australians or Americans (or at least those Americans who come from the USA, most inhabitants of the Americas use 'football' or some linguistic variant thereof) call the game, does it? Isn't it 'Calcio' in Italy?

'Soccer' sat quite happily alongside 'Football' in my youth - I seem to remember a weekly publication called 'Soccer Star' which consisted of serious reportage of virtually every match throughout the country - although we never referred to the game as anything else other than 'Football'. Similarly it has always been 'Rugby', never 'Rugger'. Just for to add to the confusion, to this day, in discussion, a skilled player of Football or Rugby is always called a 'Footballer' e.g "That Brian O'Driscoll's a great footballer."

BarryP

I don't think it matters what you call the game only that you love it.   I use football when I post here because it is the preferred term and soccer when talking to friends or posting on Fulhamusa because that is the preferred term in those settings. Regardless of whether you use soccer or football when referring to the game it is the same game to love and anguish over.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: fulhamben on June 19, 2014, 10:11:28 PM
so you thought you would start a brits versus yanks thread. cool im in. yanks can can call football soccer all they want as we call american football rugby

I've played both sports....played Lacrosse as well.....and one thing I'd never do is use the term you've chosen to describe anyone who has chosen to make a profession out of playing either sport.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Forever Fulham on June 19, 2014, 10:16:02 PM
I wasn't trying to start a rift.  It's an interesting bit of history reporting.  People have their preferred expressions and it doesn't matter what or why or how in the end.   One thing in the article particularly struck me, Fulhamben--that Australians call it "soccer".   I didn't know that.  Speak up, Australians.  Is the Times right?

Aren't the national team called the Socceroos ?  (it's a play on the word Koalaroos)
I'm surprised Mark Schwartzer, Tim Cahill and all are so good as they're playing two different games simultaneously.

Add to the mix Aussie Rules Football it's no wonder they're upside down
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

gezkc

I have no problem with Americans and Australians calling the game 'soccer'. If you've got American football or Aussie rules football in your country, it makes sense to differentiate it (even if 'soccer' is the only ball game played solely with your foot!)

RidgeRider

Quote from: Peabody on June 20, 2014, 09:13:41 AM
Though I prefer to describe our game as football, which it truly is, compared to the American game, which more use of the hand, it is true that we did use the term Soccer ie back in the fifties, we used to have The Boy's Book of Soccer.

Surely, American Football, which is more akin to Rugby, would better be described as just that. But does it all really matter?

Exactly

ron

Let's all now forget the frustrations of these variously named games and have a summer. With cricket, lager, chilled Pimm's, or what you will.  :wine: 082.gif

Putney

Quote from: Peabody on June 20, 2014, 09:13:41 AM

Not if you play for Rex Ryan

Forever Fulham

I love this game.  I wish the the die-hards in the States would quit bashing it.  It's so obvious over here which sport is growing its participation and attendance in leaps and bounds, and which sports are showing signs of decreasing fan interest and popularity.   Ten years from now, the landscape will look so different.

HatterDon

It was soccer and football back when I first came to England, 1966. Soccer is a typical upper-class English "cutesy" expression drawn from "AsSOCiation football."

Just as "rugby at Twickenham" became "riggers at Twickers" and "presents" became "pressies" so "Association" became "soccer."

It didn't bother the Brits I met in the early days, but as more Americans became interested in English football, so Brits had to get exclusionary about it. Today, complaints about "soccer" instead of "football" on this site are mostly voiced by guys who'd prefer that the Americans who support Fulham would just go away. We're used to it. We know we're not really considered  "proper supporters of a "proper football club."

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel