more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Will Woy survive?

Started by St Eve, June 20, 2014, 12:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on June 20, 2014, 09:34:22 AM
The current england team just does not have the calibre of players to get to semis and finals. Doubt if another manager could have done much better.

I don't think the current crop will develop into world beaters either. Sorry to be pessimistic.

With a little less pessimism, I agree with this.

Burt

Thinking with your head rather than your heart, did we really expect great things from this squad in the World Cup?

Roy can only manage what he has available to him, and we really don't have an abundance of genuinely world class players. I actually think we have performed better than we did in South Africa (particularly v. Italy) and we do have some exciting prospects in the U21 and U18 squads which bodes well for the next Euros and the following World Cup.

Bassey the warrior

I think he's done a good job. It's individual errors that have cost us. Certainly a huge improvement on the last two tournaments even though the results were worse.

Vinnieffc

I don't think anyone else could do better than Roy. Bear in mind, Roy had the guts to take a lot of youngsters to the WC AND play them. IMO England's weakness lay in 5 positions, the biggest being in central defence. Cahill & Jagielka are good honest professionals but lack the presence of a Ferdinand and, dare I say it, John Teary. Johnson at RB is a liability. Add a decent holding MF and an outright CF (Sturridge doesn't cut it for me) et Voila.

OK, so I'm advocating changing half a team. But I'm sure the youngsters are out there to wholly replace the Old Guard and, come Euro 2016, England under Roy will become a major contender. Bear in mind that the greatest teams playing the most flamboyant entertaining football still have a core team structure, something Roy has proved turning a good Fulham team into Europa finalists.

In Woy I still trust.

Nick Bateman

I'd rather have Harry Rednapp but at 67 he may be considered too old. 
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Roberty

Quote from: fulhamben on June 20, 2014, 08:28:39 AM
Quote from: Roberty on June 20, 2014, 08:15:07 AM
There seems to be little point.

Unlike a club manager the England manager cannot search the world to find better players, so a new manager will have the same bunch to choose from.
he wont though. a new manager will have some great new young players to pick from. and lets not forget, roy decided not to even take theo to the euros. we need a manager now who will dump all the old guard and fully go with the kids. personally dont think roy is the man. the euros will be the ground work for the next world cup and i cant see roy being around in 4 years time

Are you talking about Theo Walcott or Theo Paphitis?

To refresh your memory:-
At UEFA Euro 2012, Walcott appeared for England as a second half substitute in the group game against Sweden. Shortly after coming on, Walcott scored to bring the game level at 2–2. Less than 15 minutes later, he provided the cross for Danny Welbeck's 74th minute winner in England's 3–2 victory. Afterwards, England manager Roy Hodgson praised Walcott's "enormous" impact on the game, while Lee Dixon on the BBC said Walcott had "changed the game". Walcott also played in the final group game against Ukraine which England won 1–0.

Or if you meant the World Cup and not the Euro's ?

On 4 January 2014, Walcott sustained a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee during a FA Cup match against Tottenham Hotspur and was ruled out for six months, therefore forcing him to miss the rest of the season and the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

OK so that clears it up - so after me - SORRY ROY - I forgot
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

fulhamben

Quote from: Roberty on June 20, 2014, 02:16:11 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on June 20, 2014, 08:28:39 AM
Quote from: Roberty on June 20, 2014, 08:15:07 AM
There seems to be little point.

Unlike a club manager the England manager cannot search the world to find better players, so a new manager will have the same bunch to choose from.
he wont though. a new manager will have some great new young players to pick from. and lets not forget, roy decided not to even take theo to the euros. we need a manager now who will dump all the old guard and fully go with the kids. personally dont think roy is the man. the euros will be the ground work for the next world cup and i cant see roy being around in 4 years time

Are you talking about Theo Walcott or Theo Paphitis?

To refresh your memory:-
At UEFA Euro 2012, Walcott appeared for England as a second half substitute in the group game against Sweden. Shortly after coming on, Walcott scored to bring the game level at 2–2. Less than 15 minutes later, he provided the cross for Danny Welbeck's 74th minute winner in England's 3–2 victory. Afterwards, England manager Roy Hodgson praised Walcott's "enormous" impact on the game, while Lee Dixon on the BBC said Walcott had "changed the game". Walcott also played in the final group game against Ukraine which England won 1–0.

Or if you meant the World Cup and not the Euro's ?

On 4 January 2014, Walcott sustained a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee during a FA Cup match against Tottenham Hotspur and was ruled out for six months, therefore forcing him to miss the rest of the season and the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

OK so that clears it up - so after me - SORRY ROY - I forgot

either way, wouldnt be my choice to take us forwards. we looked terrible in qualification and i dont think he has utilized our squad well at all. should never of made gerrard captain as he shouldnt even be a starter.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Roberty

You perfectly welcome to your choice - I was just pointing out that you had forgotten what happened with Theo, but as you are not an Arsenal supporter I am sure you can be forgiven.

Hopefully there will be some young defenders coming through.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

vagrant

Here is the problem with Roy...... He is very good in making a TEAM out of players who by no stretch of the imagination could be considered world class. Examples..Fulham, West Brom, Switzerland, and Finland. They all played as a team carrying out his instructions to the letter.

The problem becomes apparent when he has to manage so called superstars (overpaid posers). They are all individuals and can never be moulded into a TEAM, at least not in this country. They have too high opinion of themselves and consider themselves to be untouchable by someone as low as Roy. Examples....England, Liverpool.....

RidgeRider

Quote from: Burt on June 20, 2014, 11:55:47 AM
Thinking with your head rather than your heart, did we really expect great things from this squad in the World Cup?

Roy can only manage what he has available to him, and we really don't have an abundance of genuinely world class players. I actually think we have performed better than we did in South Africa (particularly v. Italy) and we do have some exciting prospects in the U21 and U18 squads which bodes well for the next Euros and the following World Cup.

Agree with this....he had the cajones to go with a team balanced towards the future. He did what everyone on hear, I've read over the years on this site, complained about with regards to the teams of the most recent past....they were too old, paid too much and didn't care about England. Roy played a side with some experience but a lot of youth. Euro 2016 will tell the story and he should be allowed to finish his book.

God The Mechanic

We didn't blood the younger players in as early as we should have over the last few years.  Lallana should have had more games earlier, the two centre backs should have, Baines is crazy experienced but has very little at international level.  It's a different game, and for all their club level experience there were too many players who didn't have international experience.

We need to make sure that the younger players get genuine competitive game time before they're 26/27 and only have 15-20 substitute appearances and we have to count on them.

We also need a holding midfielder.

In answer to the question, I hope so.  We need stability and to implement a plan going forwards.

Lighthouse

FA already given Roy the job for the next World Cup.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 20, 2014, 07:12:50 PM

European Football Championship 2016 ???

EJL

Quote from: KCat on June 20, 2014, 07:14:56 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on June 20, 2014, 07:12:50 PM

European Football Championship 2016 ???
Yeah

Herbie

For the first time in a very long time, the England squad is moving towards being geared up around playing a system rather than putting out the best eleven regardless of team shape.

I think this is one of Roy's big selling points.  The fact that he got us to the Europa League final with a team without any big star names shows exactly how a solid, well organised team can progress against the odds.

In a way, I'm kind of glad that this tournament is over for us; we were never realistically going to win it, so it's a relief that we can put aside all the hope.  Now Roy can spend the next two years continuing the development of the England squad.  I think we were only a solid back four away from having a strong team.

MiltonBurrows

For once I agree with Chris Waddle. It's more than just a coincidence that since the Premier League was formed, England have yet to get past a quarter finals in the World Cup. The large influx of foreign players may be a great spectacle for a league, but it is massively hindering our national side. We are simply not good enough, and this needs to addressed. Roy should stay, the problem isn't the manager, at least hes trying to change our style to suit the modern game, which is long overdue.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Nick Bateman

What most football fans feared happened when Roy Hodgson led England to the worst performance by any England manager being eliminated after only 8 days.

Most felt he was a "company man" who would pander to the whims of the Premier League, put England FC second to pampering the overpaid players he selected.

Having the team in a luxury hotel next to the Co pa-cabana and ill-preparing them for a genuine attempt at winning the trophy was a recipe for disaster: the difference was clear in the approach a less talented Costa Rica displayed and if they apply themselves properly I cannot see England getting anything from the last match.  The tactics of playing Rooney as a left-winger, until he finally switched him to his correct place in the centre when he scored, was again a missed opportunity.

At the time of his appointment, there was almost national approval of Harry Rednapp to be the next England boss.  Dave Richards in particular vetoed that and opted for Roy, despite his flop at Liverpool, where the only thing one remembered of that tenure was Hodgson banging his head against the hoardings.

When Greg Dyke became new FA head he stated that Engalnd would be his main priority.  But yet he has already backed Hodgson without sounding public opinion or other options.  In my view, it means two more years in the doldrums until we can go out early in the Euros, with no progression of our national team, 'political' selections (eg: bigger teams getting their players capped regardless of form or ability) and more of the same "let's have a holiday" attitude when we qualify for major tournaments.

Hodgson should go and now!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Northern Cottager

EJL