watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Will Woy survive?

Started by St Eve, June 20, 2014, 12:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Eve

He should but if not please come back home.

Admin

Yes he will. There were no expectations for this World Cup, and the F.A new we were going to bleed in the youngsters, with all but little hope. Roy was employed for re-build, so can't see him being sacked. 

FPT

I hope so, but as much as I love the man, he shouldn't come back. Leave his legacy be. He'll probably get to Euro 2016 and his job depends on how well we do between then and in the tournament.

The man's 66, he'll be 68 by the Euros and 70 if he makes it to the next World Cup, let him retire and enjoy it.

St Eve

I agree but would take him back for 2 years in lieu of Felix's 10 games

EJL

I think the FA will be happy to keep him on until after 2016, but that doesn't mean the media won't try and hound him out. I've already seen numerous journos on Twitter with fairly large followings COMPLETELY misconstruing the comments he made about Suarez's level of ability before the WC. All Roy said was that to be considered an "all time great" he has to be a World Cup great (similar to what Pele has said all these years about Messi). But because Sky Sports took everything out of context in one of their tweets, instead claming in their headlines that he said "Suarez isn't a world class player" to spruce up an uncontroversial response, now everyone thinks that's what he's actually said. And due to a large portion of Liverpool fans having it in for him, it's spread like mad.

One of the few reasons I hate sites like Twitter. No one bothers to read further than the headline, but still think they know enough about the topic to make false statements.

Berserker

I don't think you can be a all time great if you go around biting people and making racist  comments. He's great at football but not a rounded person. Mind you I suppose Maradonna had issues
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Craven Mad

Harry Redknapp has already started his press-interviews condemning the English tactics; the vulture circles...

It's not Roy's fault; England hasn't the quality. Maybe in a few years, when the promising-youth has matured, we may be ok. Currently, however, we're nothing better than average.

RaySmith

But do well rounded people get to the very top in sport?

Juarez has that desperate will to win above everything, allied to great skill and application, that those who become champions have.

The English team didn't have anyone with that combination of talent and hunger , I don't think.

RaySmith

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 20, 2014, 07:57:53 AM
Harry Redknapp has already started his press-interviews condemning the English tactics; the vulture circles...

It's not Roy's fault; England hasn't the quality. Maybe in a few years, when the promising-youth has matured, we may be ok. Currently, however, we're nothing better than average.

The England job is a poisoned chalice.

I wonder what we might have achieved if Roy had stayed at Fulham, but maybe it was good he left after he'd accomplished so much with us.

fulhamben

CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Craven Mad

Quote from: RaySmith on June 20, 2014, 08:00:17 AM
Quote from: Craven Mad on June 20, 2014, 07:57:53 AM

The England job is a poisoned chalice.

I wonder what we might have achieved if Roy had stayed at Fulham, but maybe it was good he left after he'd accomplished so much with us.

I agree with the "poison chalice" reference. I don't think we could have ever gone further than 7th with Roy - not his fault, the club just isn't big enough, and Mo was never going to give the funds needed to challenge for 5th etc. Maybe we could've nicked an FA/League Cup, but we don't tend to fair well in cup competitions (Europa excluded!). That's not to say I wanted Roy to go, nor that I wouldn't take him back (I would), just that a club our size has a glass-ceiling.

Roberty

There seems to be little point.

Unlike a club manager the England manager cannot search the world to find better players, so a new manager will have the same bunch to choose from.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

fulhamben

Quote from: Roberty on June 20, 2014, 08:15:07 AM
There seems to be little point.

Unlike a club manager the England manager cannot search the world to find better players, so a new manager will have the same bunch to choose from.
he wont though. a new manager will have some great new young players to pick from. and lets not forget, roy decided not to even take theo to the euros. we need a manager now who will dump all the old guard and fully go with the kids. personally dont think roy is the man. the euros will be the ground work for the next world cup and i cant see roy being around in 4 years time
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Lighthouse

Yes he will survive. But he is still very tactically stuck in his ways. It seems all teams have to do is pressure our back four and we just hoof the ball up. I remember the same criticism at Fulham.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Slaphead in Qatar

The current england team just does not have the calibre of players to get to semis and finals. Doubt if another manager could have done much better.

I don't think the current crop will develop into world beaters either. Sorry to be pessimistic.

grandad

Roy will not resign. He will have to wait until Patrick Roberts is ready to save England. The next WC we will win if he is playing.
Where there's a will there's a wife

F(f)CUK

I think that he will survive, but don't ask me to back this view up if Bryan scores a hatrick.  England are planning for four years' time, and it does not matter what they say to the press beforehand.

Fulham1959

In the Premier League, only one team can be champions.  Three teams must get relegated.

In the WC Finals, 16 teams will not survive past the Group stage.  That's life.

I'm very, very disappointed.  But, at least, we haven't lost to Germany  -  and we haven't gone out on penalties !

FPT

Quote from: grandad on June 20, 2014, 09:42:24 AM
Roy will not resign. He will have to wait until Patrick Roberts is ready to save England. The next WC we will win if he is playing.

With Burn at CB and Woodrow up top.

jarv

I have said for years, it doesn't matter who manages England. It will always be the same old, same old..... However, Roy is probably the best man to do the job. He is good at getting ordinary players to over achieve having done it his whole career.
He should and I believe will survive at least til after the Euros. England's best feature has always been the back four. For decades it has served them well but now they all look not quite so good. A lot of ball watching going on when the goals went in.