watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Kaka to join Orlando City FC

Started by ChesterTheTabby, June 20, 2014, 04:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

Say what you will about the MLS, but Kaka (age 32) is another big name heading to the US to ply his trade.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Craven Mad

In my opinion, for the MLS to be taken seriously it needs to become more than just a retirement package for former stars.

Slaphead in Qatar

What a wasted talent. Bit like torres.

Big Martin Jol

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 20, 2014, 07:54:21 AM
In my opinion, for the MLS to be taken seriously it needs to become more than just a retirement package for former stars.

Small steps. Let's not forget the Premier League used to be a bit like that.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

FPT

Ah, one of my favourites. If not for injury issues you could really put him in the top 5 of no.10s ever. Good luck to him.

BarryP

Would you rather have Scott Parker or Kaka? 
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Big Martin Jol on June 20, 2014, 10:12:28 AM

Small steps. Let's not forget the Premier League used to be a bit like that.
Eh?  I must have missed that! PL started in 1992 I think - just renamed First Div.  Certain teams (eg Bolton with Fat Sam and players like Okocha, us and Andrew Cole maybe) but the league as a whole has never been a sinecure for has-beens.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Craven Mad

Quote from: BarryP on June 20, 2014, 01:30:25 PM

I'm not sure I understand the point. Scott Parker isn't a crown-jewel of the Premier League (nor even of Fulham..), nor will he be on mind-blowing wages.

But Kaka - clearly.

BarryP

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 20, 2014, 01:55:49 PM

I'm not sure I understand the point. Scott Parker isn't a crown-jewel of the Premier League (nor even of Fulham..), nor will he be on mind-blowing wages.

But Kaka - clearly.

My point is Fulham's recent tansfer market history has leaned toward signing aging players with most of their playing career behind them like Parker, Diarra, Karagounis, Duff and Murphy and then supporting them with other players is not that much different than what the MLS is doing. The biggest difference is Fulham can't afford to sign the players moving to MLS. Does that mean we should not take Fulham seriously?
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Craven Mad

Quote from: BarryP on June 20, 2014, 03:03:24 PM

But Kaka - clearly.

My point is Fulham's recent tansfer market history has leaned toward signing aging players with most of their playing career behind them like Parker, Diarra, Karagounis, Duff and Murphy and then supporting them with other players is not that much different than what the MLS is doing. The biggest difference is Fulham can't afford to sign the players moving to MLS. Does that mean we should not take Fulham seriously?

There's a difference between the transfer activity of one team (that got relegated) and that of a whole league.

God The Mechanic

Players like Bradley?  Yet he got criticised for only going there for the money...

BarryP

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 20, 2014, 04:13:02 PM

But Kaka - clearly.

There's a difference between the transfer activity of one team (that got relegated) and that of a whole league.

You are exactly right that one or two transactions does not define the status of a league or a team so why call the MLS a retirement league over a signing you would have welcomed at Fulham when the rest of the league is puling in and selling on good talent from around the world.  MLS may not be on par with the top flight leagues from England, Germany, Spain and Italy in terms of talent but it is not a retirement league either.  People need to get past that misconception.

Travers Barney

Was really hoping that you were referring to that clown who masquerades as a left winger.

Never mind

coyw
We are the whites

Craven Mad

Quote from: BarryP on June 20, 2014, 07:41:24 PM
Quote from: Craven Mad on June 20, 2014, 04:13:02 PM

But Kaka - clearly.

You are exactly right that one or two transactions does not define the status of a league or a team so why call the MLS a retirement league over a signing you would have welcomed at Fulham when the rest of the league is puling in and selling on good talent from around the world.  MLS may not be on par with the top flight leagues from England, Germany, Spain and Italy in terms of talent but it is not a retirement league either.  People need to get past that misconception.

The league will gain respect when it produces great youngsters, rather than paying formerly-great pensioners. Simply put, the MLS, with all the money it has, has not produced enough quality players (yet).

Regardless, like many successful individuals in their twilight years, Kaka has decided to end his days in Florida - I wish him good luck; I've always liked the guy.

RidgeRider

I think the league is still on the 'up' but needs another decade before it will be even close to the top leagues. I view these older Superstars coming to the MLS as a huge positive. For the league to continue to grow and attract, getting players like Beckham, Kaka, and Henri creates more interest with the US fans, which creates more ticket, concession, shirt sales and eventually TV revenue. It is then that the MLS teams can start to pay the wages and fees to compete with the top leagues for top players and maybe even start to model European clubs with player development programs.

God The Mechanic

Only 7 of the current USMNT didn't start their professional career in the US and they still have a shot at getting out of the group.  They may not be great, but that's a better performance than ours has been.

MisfitKid

Quote from: God The Mechanic on June 20, 2014, 08:50:58 PM
Only 7 of the current USMNT didn't start their professional career in the US and they still have a shot at getting out of the group.  They may not be great, but that's a better performance than ours has been.

Those 7 are from Germany...   :005:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Rhys Lightning 63

Seeing as I have a holiday home in Orlando and I adopted them as my 'American team' back in January, this is GREAT news
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

HatterDon

I agree with you completely. It's also stifilling the growth of our young players. Mind you, Kaka might not find it a stroll in the park. I enjoyed watching an MLS defender fold up Balotelli and stick him in his back pocket earlier today. I didn't see a lot of Premier league defenders do that.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel