https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The end of vuvuzelas?

Started by The Equalizer, June 13, 2010, 02:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Equalizer

nabbed from TIFF

South Africa ponders vuvuzela ban after complaints

South Africa's World Cup organising chief Danny Jordaan may ban vuvuzelas from inside stadiums after complaints from broadcasters and supporters.

The constant sound of the high-pitched horn-like instrument has so far drowned out much of the atmosphere-generating singing usually associated with games.

And Jordaan, when asked if he would get rid of them, told BBC Sport: "If there are grounds to do so, yes.

"We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."

France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas, which has been likened to the drone of thousands of bees, for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless.

He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.

"We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

Jordaan conceded that while the noise was irritating for some people, they were doing all they could to minimise the impact.

"We've tried to get some order," he continued. "We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult but we're trying to manage the best we can.

"We've had some broadcasters and individuals [complaining] and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going basis."

Jordaan admitted he was not a huge fan of them himself. "I would prefer singing," he said.

"It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

FC Silver Fox

There were complaints of these things at the Confederation Cup last year and requests were made to have them banned for the World Cup. It was decided to keep them because it was "African tradition". I agree it detracts from the spirit of each game. You lose the national identity of each group of fans (music, singing and dancing), whether they be African, South American or European. It all merges into a monotonous uniform drone. It neutralizes support for the players too. Mind you, it also means you can't hear the derisory booing of the French for having cheated to obtain their place in South Africa.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Jimbobob

:dft003:

On Univision the noise is much less but the noise does get to be a bit much but I doubt they will get banned they should but won't
Boy Mark is having a bad day.... :beer:
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

Ichabod Magoo

It seemed like the Germany game had the loudest vuvus so far.  Maybe it was a result of the placement of the crowd microphones or the acoustics in that stadium.

As to an African tradition, I read in another forum that they have only been a "tradition" there for about 8-10 years.  That's not exactly an overwhelming reason to fear banning them.  (Fact not checked)
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Tom

Please for the love of the queen do away with these annoying things!!!
Fulham for life!

CorkedHat

It's amazing how many people don't have a problem with them and I'm not talking about South Africans either.
A forum on the Guardian Website are fairly well didvided down the middle on the issue
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Kiwi Fulham Fan

Ban them from inside the stadiums, or mayby only at South African games
i enjoy the singing, cheers, boos and whistles way more

FC Silver Fox

Can you imagine these vuvuwotsits at the Cottage where even a drum is considered an overbearing noisy nuisance?  No, I can't either and wouldn't want them.
  They might not be so bad if they made them in different keys. There might be some co-ordination among the fans to get a tune going. 
I suppose they stop the Italians blowing their own trumpets on how they are going to win the WC.

AlFayedsChequebook

I actually like the vuvuzelas, it stops me from hearing the annoying band that follow England everywhere and play 'the great escape' over and over and over and over

Airfix

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on June 14, 2010, 09:50:10 AM
Can you imagine these vuvuwotsits at the Cottage where even a drum is considered an overbearing noisy nuisance?

Funny you should mention that.....

Dragoman

Vuvuzelas are probably quite soothing... if you suffer from tinnitus !

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: CorkedHat on June 14, 2010, 07:32:21 AM
It's amazing how many people don't have a problem with them and I'm not talking about South Africans either.
A forum on the Guardian Website are fairly well didvided down the middle on the issue
I think anyone blowing a vuvuzela should be divided down the middle...with a band saw or a chainsaw !

FC Silver Fox

When they first mentioned this phenomenon on TV, I thought they were talking about Uwe Seeler, the old German striker (the end of Uwe Seeler). I thought the poor beggar had passed on.  What a fool !  :032: