watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: The Vetch Field

Started by SP, June 29, 2014, 02:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Countryfile (BBC1 7:20 Sunday night) are running a slot on the current use of the Vetch Field, allotments or similar.  Might be interesting.

Berserker

What's a vetch field got to do with allotments?
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: Berserker on June 29, 2014, 05:28:25 PM
What's a vetch field got to do with allotments?

:doh:

Logicalman

Entry from Wiki (ok, so its the best I could find to provide an insight):::

Demolition
Demolition work on the ground began on 31 January 2011. The work was predicted to last four to six months. The famous North Bank was the first stand to be pulled down.
Initially there was some controversy as to the whereabouts of the centre stand's clock - on arrival, the contractors noticed it was missing. It was later confirmed in the South Wales Evening Post that it was in the safe hands of a group of people angered by the Council's neglect of such Vetch relics as the clock.

As of May 2011 no full stands remain and all the floodlights have been removed, including the East Stand's unique, bizarre floodlight. By the beginning of June 2011, with the club promoted to the Premier League and passing what's left of the ground on a victory parade, work has begun on the outside walls of the old stadium.
The centre circle, however, will remain, as this is where people's ashes have been spread.

In August 2011 it was confirmed by Swansea Council that the Vetch would be used temporarily for allotments. Coordinated by local artist Owen Griffiths on the historic site of the Vetch Football field, an urban utopia is being created on the site, in collaboration with the local residents.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Berserker

How can it be temporily for allotments? I put in fixed beds, old carpet paths,  put in a shed, plus long term fruit buses etc. I'd be pretty miffed if I could only have mine for a year.
Mind you on the TV they generally only show posh allotments, not like where I live where you basically get a strip of uncultivated ground and then make it suitable yourself for growing things. Also old boys gather round the water troughs to chat but there is no communal living, utopia type palava.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

KingstonWhite

Vetch

A widely distributed scrambling herbaceous plant of the pea family, which is cultivated as a silage or fodder crop.