watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FFC Badge History Question?

Started by love4ffc, June 29, 2014, 11:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

Being a "septic tourist" who has only been follow the club since 2004, and one who would never claim to know everything about Fulham.  I would like to know more about the club's past badges.  I have looked at the history pages of the clubs various badges and would like to know more about the different variations. 

For example the 1898 Fulham Football Club badge has is just two crossed swords.  Is there any particular meaning to the crossed swords? 

I understand the 1930's badge with the cottage.  That is a given but how about the badge introduced in 1945?  This one in particular I would like to know more about. 

Again the crossed swords appear but this time with some sort of object centered in the middle of the swords crossing.  What is the object, a crown, a building? 

What are the objects flanking the shield with the crossed swords? 

Does the suit of armor have any significance and is that a crown on top of the helmet?   

Last question how about the ship on the top?  Was Fulham a big shipping port is the ship just to symbolize that Fulham are by the river? 

I know about our current badge but any knowledge about the badges of old would be most welcomed. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

ron

jeremyfulham

I think the building signified either the cottage or Fulham Palace ?

LBNo11

...from my post http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=14208.15

"Pro Civibus et Civitate" (For The People And The State). Civic arms of FULHAM METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL granted 12th October 1927.

The wavy blue lines on the white ground of the shield are emblematical of the River Thames, which forms the most important geographical feature of the district, and bounds the borough for a little more than half its area.

The crossed swords through a golden mitre on a red saltire are taken from the arms of the See of London, whose Bishops represented by the mitre have held the Manor of Fulham since the end of the seventh century.

The ancient black ship with a white sail bearing a red and a white rose at the centre, refers to the visit of the Danes to Fulham in the year 879 (coincidentally 1000 years before Fulham FC was founded) . It accentuates the ecclesiastical character of Fulham whose Manor, which included also the parish of Hammersmith, belonged to the Bishops...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

LBNo11

NogoodBoyo

Nice thread this.
Nogood "game on for the old badgers, isit" Boyo

love4ffc

Thanks to all who replied.  Some really good reading here.  Not much of a history buff, except when it comes to the things I love.  

Thanks again,

Don

LBNo11

...the technical bit re the coat of arms:-

"Barry wavy of ten, Argent and azure, on a Saltire gules, two swords in Saltire points upwards of the first enfiled of a Mitre Or, and for the Crest upon a Mural Crown of Seven turrets Or and Ancient Rowing Ship in full sail Sable, the Flags per fesse Argent and Azure charged on the sail with a Rose Gules, surmounted by a Rose Argent barbed Vert and seeded proper.
The silver and blue wavy field was for the River Thames, the swords and mitre signifying the Bishop of London.

The crest rose from a gold mural crown, resembling a city wall, and thus municipal government. The crest itself was a black ship, recalling an expedition to Fulham by the Danes in 879. The main sail was charged with a Tudor rose, recalling the importance of the area in that era, when Fulham Palace was rebuilt.

The Latin motto, Pro Civibus Et Civitate, was translated as "for citizens and state".[1]

The waves from the shield, the two swords, the mitre and most of the crest was brought to the coat of arms of the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham when Fulham and Hammersmith merged to form a new London borough in 1965. The old badge of the borough that the club used can still be used by the club, who has the copyright to the old badge, in any case the borough has a different badge now.

And as this is a subject that keeps cropping up, the club are perfectly within their rights to use the old badge - here is the link to the proof of ownership:-  http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00002174872

and here are the other copyrights still applicable or expired associated with FFC:-

love4ffc

"The wavy blue lines on the white ground of the shield are emblematical of the River Thames, which forms the most important geographical feature of the district, and bounds the borough for a little more than half its area."

So is this also why QPR has the blue and white?  Since they are apart of the same borough.