more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (05/07/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 05, 2014, 06:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Kvist on Magath?

I'm not sure of the source, but there's an interesting line of tweets from a Danish poster on Twitter:

Martin Krag @martinkrag · 22m
"His professional capability and man management is on the lowest level I've ever experienced" – William Kvist on Felix Magath.

Martin Krag @martinkrag · 19m
Kvist on Magath: "We never knew what the plan was when we showed up for practice, who was in start XI, and didn't train tactics before game"

Kvist: "My resistance grew day for day. If I haven't had a contract I would've quit on the spot. No one deserves a coach like Magath"

Kvist: "At one time a teammate got to decide the content of the practice before an important game. Because it was his birthday" #Magath

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/07/04/kvist-on-magath/?

WhiteJC

Away Days: Brighton & Hove Albion

Every morning for 23 days we'll be providing a bite-size profile of our upcoming opposition in the 2014/15 Sky Bet Championship season. Next up is Brighton & Hove Albion.

Date: Saturday 29th November (3pm)

Recent history: Brighton have impressed since their return to the Championship in 2011. Having consolidated their place back in England's second tier with a 10th-place finish in 2011/12, they then secured back-to-back Play-Off spots, although they fell at the first hurdle on each occasion, losing to Crystal Palace and Derby County respectively.

The manager: Sami Hyypiä, appointed June 2014

Player to watch: Will Buckley, winger

Marathonbet odds for the title: 16/1

Head-to-head record: Fulham 16, Brighton 15, Draw 3

Previous meeting: Brighton 3-2 Fulham AET (Craig Maskell, Paul McDonald, James Virgo; Nick Cusack, Rob Scott) Auto Windscreens Trophy, December 1996

By train: London Victoria – Falmer [via Lewes or Brighton] (approx. 1 hour 20 minutes)

Five who played for both: Wayne Bridge, Richard Carpenter, Zesh Rehman, Bobby Zamora, Paul Watson

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/04/away-days-brighton-hove-albion?

WhiteJC

Record Kit Sales

Fulham get their pre-season fixture list up and running on Saturday and they'll take to the pitch against East Fife wearing the new 2014/15 adidas Home Shirt for the first time.

Launched on Tuesday, the strip has already attained a record number of online sales, in conjunction with the launch of the Club's new online store www.fulhamdirect.fulhamfc.com, with our fans moving quickly to show their colours for the coming campaign.

With improved functionality, favourite player shirt selection* and a click and collect selection for both the Stadium Store and Motspur Park, we've also added a PayPal option to the new site, making the online experience much more enjoyable for Whites supporters.

Fulham's Head of Retail & Licensing Matt Jeffrey said: "We're delighted with the initial sales of the 2014/15 adidas Home Kit - more than doubling our launch day figures from last season is really encouraging.

"The Stadium Store was busy all day long, but online is where we saw the most impact. We've had a great reaction to the Kit design too, and for us, it was important to recognise our heritage, as well as our future."

*Squad numbers for the 2014/15 season are yet to be confirmed.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/04/kit-launch-two?

WhiteJC

Is Felix Magath beginning to stockpile average players at Fulham?

Kay Voser is Fulham's latest recruit, but very little is known about the former FC Basel defender (Picture: AP)

The transfer merry-go-round is continuing at apace at Craven Cottage, with Kay Voser the latest recruit whom, in truth, we know very little about.

A right-back by definition, Voser can also cover at left back; a versatility which, on the surface at least, could prove invaluable. Beyond that, what do we know about the 27-year-old?

If you watch the smattering of clips available online, he looks assured, a tough tackler and a hard worker but, nonetheless, appears unremarkable.

Is that what we need at Fulham right now? Because, if you throw Tim Hoogland into the mix, you get the feeling Felix Magath is back to his old tricks again, stockpiling average players to create a bloated squad.

It's a flawed system, naturally. You throw wages away at individuals who will only ever touch the fringes of your first team while, at the same time, morale drops to new lows as players, most likely promised the earth on arrival, sulk on the sidelines.

In fact, it's quite difficult to find sense in the idea.

And then you looks at Magath's history; three Bundesliga titles and three domestic cups to match. To put it simply, he knows what he is doing.

Voser, while not quite a world-beater, is more-than-adequate full back cover at Championship level. Hoogland, despite a chequered reputation, could probably break into three or four Premier League teams.

And so, perhaps, Magath has beaten off the tag that weighed him down during his time in Germany. Maybe he is a changed man.

He spoke, last season, of having too-large-a-squad, an almost humorous observation given his past. Hopefully, it is a sign of what's to come.

For it is absolutely fine for Magath to sign a smattering of unknown, foreign players, just as long as they are up to the standard and, more importantly, so long as they don't stop our younger players from flourishing.

You get the sense our German boss knows that, though. He's learned from his mistakes and he's learned from Fulham's mistakes, too.

We may be signing players with little-to-no reputation, but you have to trust Magath's judgement. For once, we might be getting it right.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/04/is-felix-magath-beginning-to-stockpile-average-players-at-fulham-4785994/?

WhiteJC

Inside Bayview

East Fife season-ticket holder Isla English is also a keen follower of Fulham, and so we caught up with her ahead of the sides' pre-season friendly fixture on Saturday.

First off Isla, can you just give us some background as to how you ended up supporting Fulham and East Fife?

East Fife are my local side and I was pretty much born into having the black and gold in my blood. I'm the third generation of my family that goes, as my 84-year-old gran and dad go, too. I've been a season-ticket holder since I was seven but had been going to games back at Old Bayview since I was five.

My support for Fulham comes from my uncle who lives in London and has had a Season Ticket at the Cottage for as long as I can remember. Once I got into football at home, he took me to my first Fulham game at the age of nine, on 7th April 2003. This was a 4-0 defeat to Blackburn Rovers at Loftus Road, but not even that scoreline put me off and the rest is history.
I always take a trip to the Cottage when I'm down visiting but I do try and get to some away games further north, such as Newcastle United, Liverpool and Manchester City in recent seasons. I did have a ticket for the Europa League Final but unfortunately the date clashed with my higher English exam!

It must have been a nice surprise when a friendly match between your two sides was announced?

Initially I thought it was a wind up when my dad told me so I was delighted when it was confirmed. I never thought I'd have the chance to see both my teams play each other. However, it has now left me with the dilemma of what strip to wear on 5th July.

You must have been one of the most unfortunate fans in football last season with both your teams suffering relegation. How disappointing was that?

It was very disappointing, especially East Fife losing the Play-Off Final. You could say that relegation is a consequence of supporting local/less fashionable teams but it's part of football and I quite enjoy the emotional rollercoaster. I am, however, a firm believer that there will be highs to follow these lows. Both teams to be crowned champions at the end of 2014/15 season will make all the disappointment be forgotten.

East Fife looked as though they were about to survive after winning their first Play-Off at Stirling Albion. What went wrong in the second game?

After coming away from the First Leg with a 2-1 lead, the first goal in the Second Leg was always going to be crucial and unfortunately it didn't go our way. Our problem from the beginning of the season came back to haunt us once again; losing soft goals and not taking our chances. It was a devastating feeling. After having survived via the Play-Offs the previous season, I can definitely say I much preferred that side of the end-of-season lottery.

What sort of targets should East Fife be setting for themselves this season?

East Fife should definitely be aiming to achieve promotion, whether that be automatically or via the Play-Offs (at the right end!). I feel this is an achievable target for the club, especially with Lee Murray (chairman) at the helm. A good cup run, like when we beat Dunfermline and Aberdeen a few seasons ago, would be an added bonus.

Are you looking forward to the Sky Bet Championship season and seeing how Fulham get on?

I am but I'm not looking forward to having to stay up later on a Saturday night to watch the Football League Show after Match of the Day! Hopefully Fulham won't be last on that one! I don't think it will be an easy road back to the Premier League, but I hope Felix and co will have Fulham up there challenging. Hopefully I'll have the chance to get to away games further North and closer to home, such as Middlesbrough, Wigan Athletic and Blackpool. This will give me a chance to visit new stadiums, too.

Who are East Fife's danger men that Fulham should be wary of?

Following last season's disappointment, 16 players were released so this will be a much-changed East Fife squad. I hope that Nathan (Fash) Austin and new signing Jon McShane will get the goals to fire us to promotion.

What's the Bayview ground like?

It's a new-ish stadium, opened in 1998 with one stand which has a capacity of approximately 2,000 (but no Cottage in the corner!). The stadium sits by the sea (hence the name Bayview) and the playing surface is usually one of the best in Scotland.

Where can Fulham fans go prior to the game for a pint?

The stadium has two bars within it (one upstairs, one downstairs) and both home and away fans are always welcome in either of these.

Finally, who are you going to be cheering on in the friendly?

Anyone who sees a girl with both an East Fife and Fulham scarf, that'll be me! I'm looking forward to watching both my teams with their new-look sides (hopefully next time we meet will be in the Champions League Final!). On Saturday, I'll be hoping for a draw! I'd like to wish all Fulham supporters travelling to the game a safe journey, and hope you enjoy your visit to the Kingdom of Fife. I would also finally like to take this opportunity to wish both Felix Magath and Gary Naysmith and all the players of both sides the very best for the forthcoming season.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/04/inside-bayview?

WhiteJC

Matt Taylor turns down Fulham for Premier League new boys Burnley

Matt Taylor snubbed the chance to join Fulham as he wanted to remain a Premier League player.

Taylor was expected to sign a two-year deal with Burnley today after he left West Ham when his contract expired at the end of last season.

Fulham expressed an interest in the left-sided player, 32, who was settled in London and considered strongly the offer from the Cottagers, despite their relegation to the Championship.

But when the offer from Burnley came in, Taylor is thought to have decided that the chance to stay in the top flight outweighed every other concern. He passed a medical with Burnley yesterday.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/matt-taylor-turns-down-fulham-for-premier-league-new-boys-burnley-9584097.html

WhiteJC

It`s All Greek To Me!

One of the inevitable results of a World Cup Finals is that come the conclusion, apart from having to wait four years for the next one, we see a whole raft of managerial changes.

Out of the 32 countries that pitched up in Brazil, to participate in the tournament, I`d hazard a guess somewhere between a quarter and a third will be recruiting new bosses before the next meaningful international is played.

Now some of you might be wondering what this spiel might have to do with Fulham Football Club!

Well not that much except one of the countries now looking for a new manager, after the removal from post of Fernando Santos is Greece and, this morning, a certain Martin Jol is linked with the vacant position!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=362700#ixzz36ZT4HVHo

WhiteJC

Job Cuts!

We`ve spoken before, in several articles, about the harsh financial facts relegation brings about.

It has been mentioned that following our demise as a Premier League side, albeit (we hope) only on a temporary basis, we`re having to cut our financial cloth accordingly.

Several key players in last seasons squad have been let go as Fulham seek to trim the wage bill and now it would seem that the trimming of the wage bill has also affected those employed at Craven Cottage away from the playing staff.

A voluntary redundancy scheme has been put in place whereby 30 jobs will be shed, a decision announced on Monday, the same day we believe pre-season training resumed.

The sad times we`re going through at Craven Cottage just got even sadder!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=362701#ixzz36ZTOjefU

WhiteJC

Fulham Close To Signing Potential Newcastle Target

There has been a  lot of news lately on Leeds United striker Ross McCormack, and he has withdrawn from the  pre-season two week training camp in Italy and wants his future sported out and there are rumors that some Premier League clubs may be after him.

And on Wednesday morning there was a Sky Sports report that he had handed in a transfer request, even though new Leeds United owner Massimo Cellino wants him to stay at Elland Road.

By asking for a transfer Ross loses out on some payments he could have received for the transfer, but it also shows he is desperate to leave Leeds United for a bigger club.

There has been so many rumors about Ross that Leeds issued statement yesterday about his situation:

"Leeds United owner Massimo Cellino and the club would like to respond to recent media speculation regarding Ross McCormack.

"We would like to reiterate our desire to keep Ross McCormack at Leeds. This desire includes keeping all our best players as we look to build a stronger and successful squad for the 2014/15 season."

"Leeds may not be the richest club in the Championship but we don't need to sell our best players in order to run the club successfully."

There are a number of clubs after McCormack who has played 154 games with 58 goals over the last four seasons at Leeds United,  since he signed on from Cardiff City.

Clubs said to be interested in the striker are Fulham, Norwich City, former club Cardiff  City and Leicester City.

But while Newcastle have been credited with an interest, there's just no way Mike Ashley is going to pay out £8M (or more) for the 27 year-old Scottish International.

We can do better bringing in other strikers such as 23 year-old French International Alexandre Lacazette for that same amount.

And the latest news is that both Fulham and Cardiff have increased their bids to £10M – but the truth is that McCormack is not worth that – even if he is British.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

http://www.nufcblog.com/2014/07/04/fulham-close-to-signing-potential-newcastle-target/

WhiteJC

Ruiz: We want more

Bryan Ruiz couldn't stop smiling. It had been hours since he and his Costa Rican team-mates beat Greece, winning a shoot-out to book their place in the quarter-finals of a FIFA World Cup™. But the tall, lean playmaker still beamed, a smiling, bright-eyed glow born of pride and disbelief.

"Maybe in a few months this will all sink in, but for right now we're just trying to enjoy what we're living," 28-year-old Ruiz, the team's elegant creator and kind-hearted captain, told FIFA.com in the brightly-lit tunnels of the Arena Pernambuco in Recife. The north-eastern Brazilian city is now firmly cemented in the legend and lore of Costa Rican football, the site of a pair of famous wins over Italy and Greece.

"I was really dead," Ruiz said about the last ten minutes of extra-time against the Greeks. He was overcome with cramps on a hot and damp night, after his team had been under siege and played a man down for nearly an hour. "My calves, my thighs. I had cramps everywhere. The Costa Ricans dug even deeper to cover for their leader and schemer. Ruiz's team-mates threw themselves into every tackle. "They just kept running and the work they did was incredible," said Ruiz, his mates marching around the halls, looking for someone to hug.

Los Ticos arrived in Brazil tipped for a swift group-stage exit, drawn against Uruguay, England and Italy. But the Central Americans shocked the watching world. They won their group and they've inspired with an underdog charge to the last-eight, reaching farther than any Costa Rican side in history.

Now they face another daunting task in the all-conquering Dutch, a familiar opponent for Ruiz. The No10 burst to prominence with FC Twente in the tiny Dutch city of Enschede, and he played the last six months for PSV Eindhoven. "It's nice to play against a team like Holland, but it's difficult too," said Ruiz, desperately waiting for his mobile phone to charge so he could call home to his mother, his grandpa and grandma, as well as his brothers. "I can't wait to hear their voices," he said, his head resting against a white wall.

"I have so many friends in the Netherlands," he said. "The place was my home for years and I care about its people. But for us it is a dream to play in the quarter-finals."

In particular, Ruiz is looking forward to meeting a friend before the big game in Salvador. "I know Memphis Depay very well because we played together with PSV this season," he remarked about the young Dutch stand-out performer. "We have a very good understanding when we play together with our club and he's a nice guy. I'll say hello in the tunnel, for sure, but after that it's all business."

It's a warning the Dutch should heed. Los Ticos have not come this far just to roll over. They didn't shrink in the face of the big names they've faced so far and their quick-fire counter-attacks can unlock any team. They are chasing more history. They feel the excitement back home and the support inspires them beyond themselves. It's a sensation both tangible and distant to Costa Rica's players. "We know we're doing something so big for the people back home, but maybe we don't realise the extent of how big just yet."

The Costa Ricans will be underdogs again when they take on Louis van Gaal's Dutch, who have scored 12 goals in their four games, knocking out Spain and Mexico so far. The Europeans reached the Final four years ago in South Africa and provide a daunting obstacle, boasting some of the world's top players. Robben van Persie is playing like a kid again and Arjen Robben is at the top of his game. But the Ticos, with no history or expectation to drag them down, are riding a wave. 

"We have nothing to lose," Ruiz added, a look on his face craving more, craving wider smiles, craving more moments to savour forever and whisper about to grandkids not yet born. "We've come so far and done so much, but we want more. We want to continue on and see how far this can go."

We know we're doing something so big
for the people back home, but maybe
we don't realise the extent of how big
just yet.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2014/m=7/news=ruiz-we-want-more-subbed-2398927.html?