watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

this world cup has been disappointing

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, July 10, 2014, 05:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

Not sure why some in the media are saying this has been the best world cup ever. Group stages were exciting but most knock out games have been dire.  Teams seem afraid to lose and only a few sides such as germany have played with purpose.

Pie and mash

westcliff white

Knock out games a generally the same I find in world cups, the odd exciting game here and there.

The Germans I work with disagree with you re their performances, reckon they have only played well once and that was in the group stages. Since the Portugal game they say Germany have been uninspiring, even saying yes we won 7-1 but we payed OK but beating the worst Brazil side in history 7-1 in no achievement as they were so bad it made us look like gods.
Every day is a Fulham day

Holders

I've rather enjoyed it. The Costa Rica v. Greece game has been the highlight for me, following our players, even though it was 0-0 it was absorbing to watch. It was good to see Brazil knocked out. They have not had a particularly good team as in past years, seem to have had the rub of the refereeing decisions, traded on their name and seemed to be expected/ing to win just because of who they are. Good on Germany for not falling for that.

On the other hand, there has been some negative play as suggested, excessive diving and the odd dreadful tackle. I also disliked the gamesmanship of Krul during the Netherlands/Costa Rica penalties. The ref should have stopped him behaving like that - imo.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: westcliff white on July 10, 2014, 07:08:39 AM
Knock out games a generally the same I find in world cups, the odd exciting game here and there.

The Germans I work with disagree with you re their performances, reckon they have only played well once and that was in the group stages. Since the Portugal game they say Germany have been uninspiring, even saying yes we won 7-1 but we payed OK but beating the worst Brazil side in history 7-1 in no achievement as they were so bad it made us look like gods.

Yes, it was almost like the Fulham/Ipswich game that ended 10-1. Everything  the Germans got on target went in, another day it could have been 0-0. Brazil's defensive mistakes were as bad as England's.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

cottage cheese

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on July 10, 2014, 05:02:11 AM
Not sure why some in the media are saying this has been the best world cup ever. Group stages were exciting but most knock out games have been dire.  Teams seem afraid to lose and only a few sides such as germany have played with purpose.

Not sure if that was a comment in jest but of course teams would be afraid to lose in the knock outs...erm because they would be out. Its a different way of playing as teams need to lock up at the back and play a more sensible way of footy.

Martinsback

I have enjoyed the World Cup BUT the problem for me is that because so many teams play in Europe there were very little different styles of football..the better teams all played as if it was the Premiership or Champions league. Brazil were like Chelsea (not surprisingly) until they imploded. The African nations were poor and the few surprises for me were Chile, the US, Colombia and Costa Rica and once they went out it was back to the a European style. I will support Argentina only because they are NOT Germany.

GloucesterWhite

Too much diving for me, and not one booking for simulation. It's a contact sport for heaven's sake. Not improved by idiot commentators saying things like 'he could have gone down'.

Deanothefulhamfan

Lot's of boring football in the knockout stages.

I really enjoyed Colombia because they were a good attacking team, USA for the passion and fight they showed, and Germany for being typically efficient, as you would expect. Costa rica showed the world, that every team in the WC is there for a reason.

But so many big teams have dissapointed, none more so than Argentina who find themselves in a wc final without playing good in a single game. Luck of the draw has mean't they have faced 1 world class team on route to the final.

My biggest problem that GW has touched upon is the state of modem day football, the refereeing standard has been very poor in either allowing too much cheating, or not controlling a game of brutal tackles which ultimately resulted in a player breaking his back.

Great group games, but I find myself becoming less and less interested as the tournament goes on.

Lighthouse

Sadly, all those playing just happen to have the poorest team for some time to turn up for them. The overall standard of football has been uninspiring. That doesn't make the games unexciting. Just less jaw dropping.

The final is between the poorest German side for some time against a very ordinary Argentina side. But that just means the teams are more evenly matched.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Craven Mad

Belgium v USA; Germany v Brazil; Germany v Algeria; Brazil v Colombia; Netherlands v Mexico; Costa Rica v Greece.

I thought all of these, for various reasons, were great games.

In knockout games, teams will always be afraid to lose but, equally, they won't want to draw either; that can create some really exciting games, particularly near the end (like with Brazil v Colombia).

This world cup has been a real treat and so much better than SA. The Brazil v Germany game will be talked about for generations.

General

I think a lot of the punditry also touches on it being the best yet because of the general host nation - if I know Brasil, like I think I do, they would have been incredible hosts and very passionate and would've created a real feel good factor in many when talking to international travellers.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: General on July 10, 2014, 10:22:53 AM
I think a lot of the punditry also touches on it being the best yet because of the general host nation - if I know Brasil, like I think I do, they would have been incredible hosts and very passionate and would've created a real feel good factor in many when talking to international travellers.

that was up until the evening of july 8.  :005:

God The Mechanic

The majority of the games played are in the group stages, and by and large they were fantastic.  The knockout rounds have been less so, but there have been a fair few quality and expansive games thrown in with the "tactical" and occasionally terrible ones.

As for Argentina not playing any good teams, the group was fairly weak (though Bosnia have decent players and were an outside bet for qualification from the group), but Belgium were widely lauded as favoured outsiders for the whole tournament and Holland were in the last final and got SO much praise after beating Spain in their first game - hardly pitiful opposition.

Humbled

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on July 10, 2014, 05:02:11 AM
Not sure why some in the media are saying this has been the best world cup ever. Group stages were exciting but most knock out games have been dire.  Teams seem afraid to lose and only a few sides such as germany have played with purpose.

Agreed.....
I have thought the tourn has been poor In terms of quality. Like I said in a previous post the media will try n force anything on you.
For example after every Argentina game they will talk non stop about messi (all positive) despite him be poor?!!!

I enjoyed watching - Columbia, Chile and Mexico. Also I liked how well drilled USA were

Humbled

Quote from: God The Mechanic on July 10, 2014, 01:12:33 PM
The majority of the games played are in the group stages, and by and large they were fantastic.  The knockout rounds have been less so, but there have been a fair few quality and expansive games thrown in with the "tactical" and occasionally terrible ones.

As for Argentina not playing any good teams, the group was fairly weak (though Bosnia have decent players and were an outside bet for qualification from the group), but Belgium were widely lauded as favoured outsiders for the whole tournament and Holland were in the last final and got SO much praise after beating Spain in their first game - hardly pitiful opposition.

Belgium are individuals and not a team....
Holland had a good game against Spain but that's it, Spain's discipline was poor. Once they went a couple down the defence say higher up the pitch and you don't do that against teams like Germany or players like Robben.

IMO if Messi wasn't such an individual then Argentina would have pissed it (they were my choice for the tourn)
However unless Messi has one of them games were everything he touches goes in I can't see them beating Germany.
Germany play the game as it should be played. As a team. They have no individuals. They work together. They Dnt care who scores as long as they win.

God The Mechanic

What more does Messi have to do? He's Argentina's top scorer, creates numerous chances for his teammates, scores the vital goals at the death in a few games. All that whilst dropping crazy deep cos the midfield he's playing in front of is technically probably worse than England's. None of the other Argentine players have turned up from an attacking perspective, at least not effectively or efficiently.

YankeeJim

I've very much enjoyed this world cup. Yesterday's match was like chess: two tremendous defenses bottling up world class attackers. I would have liked one or the other to open it up so as to avoid extra time. I think the reason that this match was played as it was, was because the ref showed early on that he would not award diving. Had Brazil not been given so much against Croatia & Mexico, they might not have got out of the group and certainly would not have beaten Columbia.
The highlights for me were of course the USA, Costa Rico, Chile, Mexico (its hard for me to say that) and the machine that is Germany. They should win it all. As a side note of heresy to you lot, I also enjoyed England. Not the result mind you, but the fact that they actually went out and played rather than rest on their press clippings.  I think this years squad was so much better that the SA one. With a different group, they would have advanced.  082.gif
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Humbled

Quote from: God The Mechanic on July 10, 2014, 02:42:12 PM
What more does Messi have to do? He's Argentina's top scorer, creates numerous chances for his teammates, scores the vital goals at the death in a few games. All that whilst dropping crazy deep cos the midfield he's playing in front of is technically probably worse than England's. None of the other Argentine players have turned up from an attacking perspective, at least not effectively or efficiently.

Zabaleta was interviewed the other day. He said Argentina instructions are simple. When we get the ball give it to messi!!
Messi has been poor. Palacio come on yesterday and scared the hell put of Holland.
Messi IS class however he does too much. If he looked to pass rather than try to dribble around everyone all the time Argentina would have walked most of their previous games.
Using Iran as an example - he has minimum 10 shots at goal from 20+ yards and numerous dribbles on the edge of the box before being outnumbered.
Had he looked to tea up a team mate more often against Iran IMO Argentina would have won comfortably. However he scored in the 90th and was made instantly the best player on the pitch. facts however are he was poor and his greed made the game a lot tighter than it should have been.
Just my opinion, he is class but maybe has a little too much power (rumoured to have picked the coach and refused to play with certain Argentinians)

Then again maybe I am mad as I feel DiMaria is very overrated also. I recall one of the games he was mentioned constantly and they kept saying how good he was in the champs league final but I think u will be hard pushed to find someone that gives the ball away more than him. 1 decent cross in 10. I believe someone come out and commented how he lost the ball 50 times in a single game.
Yet shearer and co will have u think he is the best winger in the world.

God The Mechanic

Was the Iran game not the one where he made something like 10 "key passes" to team mates in dangerous areas?  I think he's trying to do too much because he HAS to do too much.  No one else has stood up for Argentina, and had he not put the ball on a plate for di Maria he'd have scored all but one of their goals in open play.  In fact, the only goal he hasn't had a direct final pass in (I think) was Higuain's goal against Belgium.  He is VITAL to that team, moreso because none of the other players have done anything.

Yes he hasn't been at his Barca best from the last 2/3/4 years, but that's to be expected especially coming off such an injury hit season and playing for a fairly weak international side.  Look at Ronaldo, he couldn't drag Portugal through on his own.

He doesn't deserve the crazy praise he gets whenever he does something simple, but he has had by no means a poor tournament compared to anyone else.  Though I do think Argentina are gonna get utterly brutalised on Sunday.