watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How the hell did Messi win Player of the tournament

Started by Fulham Tup North, July 13, 2014, 11:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulham Tup North

:016:  Very odd choice.  Maybe Sepp Blater had money on it?
No other reason possible.  Rodriguez for me, with Muller or Schweinsteiger close 2nd.  092.gif
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Ordar

Media lovefest as always. Let's all have a good cry because the media's favourite son failed to turn up for the majority of the tournament. Can't stand it

Blanco

Because Fifa and Blatter love Messi. Questions should have always been raised over his successive Ballon d'ors.

PeterFFC

Quote from: Blanco on July 13, 2014, 11:31:29 PM
Because Fifa and Blatter love Messi. Questions should have always been raised over his successive Ballon d'ors.

Really don't get why some people hate on Messi so much, apart from his tax fraud.
He has been by far the World's best player recently. Yes some people bang on about him, but he's still the best player in recent times. Who would you suggest should've won the Ballon D'or when he did?

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Blanco on July 13, 2014, 11:31:29 PM

You mean the awards as voted by players, coaches and journalists?  The awards when Messi was the best player in the world during the calendar year as a whole and in general?

Blanco

There is a general love for Messi even when he performs badly. That will never go away however badly he players. Hence him winning player of the tournament...

I will always be aggravated by the fact that Iniesta didn't win the award instead of Messi after he won Spain the world cup. I was so relieved that the best player won it this year. Messi shouldn't have even been in the last three. Credit to him on his other ballon d'or wins though.

Ordar

I have no problem with Messi but the media make me hate coverage of him. All world cup its been Messi deserves this blah blah blah. He was crap during the world cup. Was totally marked out the two most important games. Then somehow wins player of the tournament. Its utterly rediculous.

Fulham Tup North

I have no problem with him winning the 'Ballon dors', he is a fantastic player and they are well deserved trophies.  My complaint is him winning 'Player of the World Cup' when he was clearly out of sorts for most of it and there were at least 3 or 4 others more deserving.  It does not mean I dislike Messi, but by all means twist what I say to suit your own arguments, you usually do.  fp.gif
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

tommy

Messi wouldn't have even been picked in my team of the tournament, so to be picked as player is rediculous.

PeterFFC

Quote from: Blanco on July 13, 2014, 11:40:41 PM
There is a general love for Messi even when he performs badly. That will never go away however badly he players. Hence him winning player of the tournament...

I will always be aggravated by the fact that Iniesta didn't win the award after he won the world cup. I was so relieved that the best player won it this year. Messi shouldn't have even been in the last three. Credit to him on his other ballon d'or wins though.

But Spain won the World Cup, not just Iniesta. The Ballon D'or is an individual prize. Otherwise Ribery should've won this year. Or Sneijder when Inter did the treble.

Humbled

Quote from: tommy on July 13, 2014, 11:43:18 PM
Messi wouldn't have even been picked in my team of the tournament, so to be picked as player is rediculous.

Agreed

PeterFFC

Not saying I think he should've won the Player of the Tournament but he has brought Argentina to the final with Mascherano, you don't do that without being a exceptional player

Humbled

Quote from: PeterFFC on July 13, 2014, 11:46:50 PM
Not saying I think he should've won the Player of the Tournament but he has brought Argentina to the final with Mascherano, you don't do that without being a exceptional player

I just don't see what u saw.
At no point during this tournament was he "exceptional"

Blanco

Quote from: PeterFFC on July 13, 2014, 11:44:27 PM
Quote from: Blanco on July 13, 2014, 11:40:41 PM

I will always be aggravated by the fact that Iniesta didn't win the award after he won the world cup. I was so relieved that the best player won it this year. Messi shouldn't have even been in the last three. Credit to him on his other ballon d'or wins though.

But Spain won the World Cup, not just Iniesta. The Ballon D'or is an individual prize. Otherwise Ribery should've won this year. Or Sneijder when Inter did the treble.
Iniesta was amazing for Barsa that season. Just as much as Messi. He scored the winner in the final.

dannyboi-ffc

Ridiculous decision. Once again football proves that only the select few names from the biggest.best teams get.recognition. messi was good but how the hell did james rodriguez.not win it or any german player. Disappointing
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

FPT

Messi has been effective, just not in such an obvious way as at Barcelona, but he still managed to score 4 and drag him and his underachieving (bar Mascherano) team mates into a World Cup final.

Should he be Player of the Tournament? No, but I also don't believe he's been as poor as made out.

My player of the tournament is Philipp Lahm, lead by example, excellent in midfield and then when he was moved to right back. He's the best full back in the world, and has just continued his fantastic form for Bayern Munich into the World Cup and has adds his name to the list of captains to lift the World Cup trophy.

Just for the record, my team of the World Cup is:

Neuer
Lahm Mascherano Hummels Blind
Kroos De Jong
Messi Rodriguez Robben
Muller

I know Mascherano hasn't played centre back, but I had to fit him in. Nigel De Jong has been superb for the Netherlands in the World Cup, his hustle in the midfield vital to the whole system.

blingo

Lahm for me. He never lost the ball ONCE tonight and I would take bets that you can count the amount of mistakes he has made throughout the world cup on one hand.

Humbled

He did score 4. All teams below 20 in rankings. (Not that this matters to me)
What I notice is the fact IMO if he didn't go it alone so often his team would have cruised through games rather than narrowly win every game they played.
It's hard to criticise a player that has just scored ur winner against Iran in the 90th minute BUT had he not been so greedy when 20yards out the chances are they would have won by 3 or 4 goals.

He did the same against every team he played. Call it greed, call it trying to hard. Whatever it was, had he layer the ball off more often (at the right time) they would have made alot lighter work of games.

God The Mechanic

With the finishing shown by Higuain and Palacio today (and most of the tournament), can you blame him for going it alone? ;P

I think he was trying too hard, mainly because he WAS the creativity in that squad, and the constant criticism of his goal scoring record in the WC probably didn't help.