News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do we really benefit from the Neutral end?

Started by Admin, July 14, 2014, 04:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

A question that is currently being circulated on Twitter. As a club, do we really benefit by having a Neutral end, and what exactly are the benefits?

For a start, I wouldn't buy a ticket in there, if I'm coming to a game with friends of the other team, I sit in the home end, they sit in the away end, we drink before/after the game, and that's it.

When you get games at home like Millwall, Leeds etc, away fans will only flood the website and buy tickets in the Neutral end, so it kind of defeats the object, plus it puts other fans safety at risk if they have to mix.

Myself, would prefer the club just going back to having just an away end.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Pie and mash

It marks us out as different.

It's a bit "good game old chap", "we're far more civilised supporters" though

Admin

Millwall have be allocated 2,800, but they're already stating that lots have obtained tickets in the Neutral end. I've not got a problem with that, but if that's the case, we might as well keep the away end the away end.

Nero

Can you wear an Argentina shirt if I go in the neutral end?

Pie and mash

It's always been the case though with big away followings buying up large swathes of the neutral end

Pie and mash

Quote from: Nero on July 14, 2014, 04:43:58 PM

A Switzerland top would be more appropriate

Admin

Quote from: Nero on July 14, 2014, 04:43:58 PM

It's close enough to our new home shirt, so no one will notice.

Nero

Quote from: Admin on July 14, 2014, 04:41:54 PM
Millwall have be allocated 2,800, but they're already stating that lots have obtained tickets in the Neutral end. I've not got a problem with that, but if that's the case, we might as well keep the away end the away end.

Who in there right mind would want to go and watch Millwall as a neutral, I think now we are out of the premier league it needs to go. I dont think tourist really want to see Sky BEt football

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Admin on July 14, 2014, 04:35:51 PM
A question that is currently being circulated on Twitter. As a club, do we really benefit by having a Neutral end, and what exactly are the benefits?

For a start, I wouldn't buy a ticket in there, if I'm coming to a game with friends of the other team, I sit in the home end, they sit in the away end, we drink before/after the game, and that's it.

When you get games at home like Millwall, Leeds etc, away fans will only flood the website and buy tickets in the Neutral end, so it kind of defeats the object, plus it puts other fans safety at risk if they have to mix.

What other fans? Presumably there are three categories of fans: Home, away and neutrals. Home fans should sit in one of the three other stands, away fans in what part of the Putney End is allocated to them and neutral fans in what part of the Putney End is allocated to them.

Nowadays away or home fans know they may get abuse if they chose to sit in the wrong area. Neutral fans should be alright wherever they sit.

Who knows how many spectators we will get? Allocating the whole of the Putney End to away supporters is almost certain to leave it at least three quarters empty for most games.

This obsession with the `Neutral End' is weird.

BedsFFC

I've never really understood it.

A "Tourist" wants to watch a game. Checks out Fulham and thinks, I'll go there. Where shall I sit? Home supporters bit, ooh, there's a few seast remaining in the Putney end, I'll sit there.

An Arsenal fan, can't get a ticket for the Fulham match, sees if he can sit in a home area. Ooh, theres seats available in the Putney end...I'll sit there.

As far as I can see and I talk from one game personal experience is that is dampens the atmosphere. Home fans don't really sing as there are a few away fans about and vice versa.

So, one of the benefits of having "Tourists" is that they may get the bug and come again. However, we end up putting them in a place with the worst atmosphere in the ground, unless they are surrounded by lots of away fans, in which case, they have as much chance of getting the bug for that team.

I'm pretty sure, even if it was called a home end,  it would have the same people in anyway.

Admin

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on July 14, 2014, 05:13:53 PM

What other fans? Presumably there are three categories of fans: Home, away and neutrals. Home fans should sit in one of the three other stands, away fans in what part of the Putney End is allocated to them and neutral fans in what part of the Putney End is allocated to them.

Nowadays away or home fans know they may get abuse if they chose to sit in the wrong area. Neutral fans should be alright wherever they sit.

Who knows how many spectators we will get? Allocating the whole of the Putney End to away supporters is almost certain to leave it at least three quarters empty for most games.

I don't think there's a weird obsession with the Neutral End, just an ongoing amazement as to why we persist with it. To me, it doesn't achieve anything, it's a conundrum within a conundrum.

Quote from: Admin on July 14, 2014, 05:24:55 PM

I don't think there's a weird obsession with the Neutral End, just an ongoing amazement as to why we persist with it. To me, it doesn't achieve anything, it's a conundrum within a conundrum.

`Weird obsession' and `ongoing amazement' seem to amount to the same thing.

bill taylors apprentice

Surely the whole idea was to encourage "neutrals" who found it difficult to get into other PL games to help fill our ground.
We needed to build the fan base up and increase match day revenue as we would struggle to fill the ground and hopefully some would become regular fans.

Of course, you all know that.............  I didn't like it but assumed it was necessary at the time, now we have 13 seasons in the PL behind us and there is no longer the need to use this desperate ploy.

Give the tickets for that area away (on selected match days) to schools and clubs if we cant sell them but end the neutral area now! 

Admin

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on July 14, 2014, 05:49:13 PM

Not really, a weird obsession is like wanting to lick the inside of someone's gimp suit after use, whereas an ongoing amazement is like watching Fulham roll out the Neutral End season after season.

Quote from: Admin on July 14, 2014, 06:26:11 PM

Not really, a weird obsession is like wanting to lick the inside of someone's gimp suit after use, whereas an ongoing amazement is like watching Fulham roll out the Neutral End season after season.

It's weird because it is not clear what difference it makes to calling it the Putney  End or the Away End beyond "It makes us a laughing stock". To that I say "grow up" - most of us are not teenagers in the school playground anymore.

It is an obsession because the same topic comes round regularly.

SP

Although I haven't had the pleasure of sitting in the neutral zone, it does have some positives such as proximity to the Cottage & being close to the tunnel which will appeal to younger neutrals.  When it was terracing, the view from a central position behind the goal was excellent, presumably that hasn't changed.

Arthur

For a start, I wouldn't buy a ticket in there, if I'm coming to a game with friends of the other team, I sit in the home end, they sit in the away end...

I, too, on occasions have purchased tickets for the neutral area for friends who support the opposition. Nor, too, do I join them. Nevertheless, it is a gesture that my friends appreciate and which would disappear if the Putney End were for away fans only - for the simple reason that, presumably, the entire allocation of tickets would be handed over to the visiting Club to sell. These friends are not Season Ticket holders; they might only get to see their team play two-or-three times a season. However, even this number would be reduced by one game if there were no neutral area for which I can buy tickets.

Admin

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on July 14, 2014, 07:35:16 PM

It's weird because it is not clear what difference it makes to calling it the Putney  End or the Away End beyond "It makes us a laughing stock". To that I say "grow up" - most of us are not teenagers in the school playground anymore.

Hold on, when did calling it the Putney End, or the Away End ever come into this debate? This debate is purely about whether the Putney End should be for Away, or Home fans, not the Neutral. As for being a laughing stock, if you look on the majority of fans forums, they treat our Neutral end as some kind of freak show, so in a way you're actually right. Apprentice to the Maestro, before you start branding people as teenagers, and then telling us all to grow up, I'd first check which way you've got your own pants on before going to school in the morning, because you really are not making sense.

Quote from: Admin on July 14, 2014, 09:09:14 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on July 14, 2014, 07:35:16 PM

It's weird because it is not clear what difference it makes to calling it the Putney  End or the Away End beyond "It makes us a laughing stock". To that I say "grow up" - most of us are not teenagers in the school playground anymore.

Hold on, when did calling it the Putney End, or the Away End ever come into this debate?
This debate is purely about whether the Putney End should be for Away, or Home fans, not the Neutral. As for being a laughing stock, if you look on the majority of fans forums, they treat our Neutral end as some kind of freak show, so in a way you're actually right. Apprentice to the Maestro, before you start branding people as teenagers, and then telling us all to grow up, I'd first check which way you've got your own pants on before going to school in the morning, because you really are not making sense.

What to call it seems to be an issue for most who are concerned about it. Maybe it isn't for you. Fair enough.

At the moment the Putney End would seem to be for the away fans plus the neutrals. Yes, some home fans are there. That's their choice.

Those who want it for home fans will have to justify it by showing that it will be better financially for the club and will have have to suggest somewhere else for the away fans which will also mean justifying it to the home fans, particularly the season ticket holders, who will have to move.

I didn't think you would worry that "the majority of fans forums, they treat our Neutral end as some kind of freak show" so I wasn't telling you personally to grow up.

Andy S

It might not be good for atmosphere but it allows segregation and fill the ground without areas that are not used. It is about money so you won't get rid of it,

I cannot see a problem with it!